วันอังคารที่ 12 มิถุนายน พ.ศ. 2555

The Beast

by Josiah922


I was in the 7th grade and was just being allowed to stretch my wings a bit. I had saved for a while to buy a nice 10 speed bike. It was fast and I loved to ride it.

Some of the kids at school had started riding their bicycles from the nearby neighborhood seeing that spring was here and I was aching to ride mine. Even though we live a good 5 miles away I begged my mom and dad to let me go.

“You will have to get up earlier so you can get there on time,” said my Dad.

I promised to do just that and the next day I awoke early got my breakfast, books and etc. ready to go in record time. And then I was off. The book bag jiggled on my back as the bike picked up speed and I took off down the rode. I knew the way and I could get there on time with no problem.

I started up the hill from right down the road from the school. I slowly trudged up the hill past the few larger houses that were at the end of the road. Another mile or so and I would be there.

The barks echoed in the air on the spring morning. Loud barks coming around the brick house to the left. The pounding of feet came as the biggest mixed breed dog came rushing out at me. It look like a mix of chow and German Shepard. My aching muscles not used to the work strained at the pedals to pick up speed, and going up hill added to the strain.Through sheer terror my legs moved and forced the bike to barely out run the large dog.

When I finally arrived at school I was greeted with wow’s and cool’s galore. The ten speed was the fastest at school and everyone knew it. It was a glorious day in the eyes of a 7th grader. I bragged and talked all day and answered all of the questions people threw at me.

I started back that afternoon as free as a bird. My ten speed zipped down the road and my thoughts were of the great day. I was going down the hill with hardly any pedaling when the barks echoed across the road. Teeth and claws were rocketing toward me and I sat open mouthed as I could not believe I had forgotten. Had I remembered I could have gained speed coming down the hill and flew past the beast.

Something snapped me back and I pushed the pedals. He was almost on me. I pushed harder and this time the hill in the road helped me push. The bike accelerated and the teeth missed their mark by an inch. The bike was pure speed till it reached the end of the hill and I stopped to look back. The dog stood in the road and barked at me. I turned and road on.

When I reached home my Dad and Mom asked about the trip. Well, not really asked. My Dad asked the way all Dad’s ask when they want to make a point that the action you just under took was a bad idea and was I ready to admit as much. I said it was FINE. Better than fine and that I looked forward to tomorrow.

I went to my room and thought about that dog. Truth was, it wasn’t fine. It was far from fine. That dog could have ripped my leg off and I would have been dog food. Why weren’t its owners keeping it behind a fence? Why wasn’t it on a leash? That’s it!

The owners had a fenced yard. It was coincidence that the dog had escaped its fence that day and chased me. Surely the owners would see the dog was out and have it returned to its rightful place in the morning. After all my dog was in our backyard contained by our fence. Surely these people were as good as owners as us.

I got ready the next morning again and took off on the bike. I was making good time today. I was hitting the hills better and resting when I new a longer hill was coming up. Yep, this would be a better day.

I started up the hill on the road of the school and not a dog in sight. I knew it! I knew it! That was just a accident that the dog was out and everything would be fine now. I eased up the road slowly. It was such a long hill and nothing happened. It was another glorious day.

I headed home after school better than the day before, if that was possible. The kids had asked about the bike again and there was no dog to torment me. Ah yes, and the hill started to pull me along. Down, down I went.

The barks tore through the peacefulness of the ride. Fangs, muscles and fur flew after me. It was closer than yesterday. Was it waiting beside the road for me?

The bike answered my call. SPEED! It flew down the hill as I popped it to a higher gear, but the beast was so close. Fear danced on the back of my neck to the point of making my skin electric. Once again inches separated my ankle and teeth.

When I got home I almost could not hide it. Dad’s demeanor was getting to the point of wanting to bring an end to this foolishness. I knew that he and mom were just simply worried about me. I dare not tell them anything was wrong. I would NOT tell them of the dog or that would end my freedom right there.

I got to my room and in the middle of my homework I figured it out. I made the plans and prepared my equipment.

Tomorrow came and once again I mounted my trusty steed. Most of the ride was forgotten, my thoughts on the confrontation. The miles came and went and the last hill was in sight. I stopped the bike on the side of the road and prepared.

I pushed on the pedals and clicked the bike gears into a little bit higher gear just in case I needed to go faster. The higher gear would have meant more strain to get going but the acceleration would be faster.

I moved past the house and nothing was seen. I turned the bike back and crossed in front of the house again, but nothing. I stopped the bike and looked closely at the back yard. And from where I was standing I saw nothing, no dog, no dog house, no water bowl and no dog toys scattered around the yard. Whose dog was it? Fear crawled up my neck again and I pushed at the pedals.

School was just up the road and my preparations could not be taken in there. I stopped my bike again at the wooded lot on the side of the road just up from the school. I looked for the dead tree that was in the middle of the lot. I went South two pine trees and found a low place beside the tree. I placed the preps there. It was wrapped in a large zip lock bag I acquired from the trash and then in a small brown paper bag left over from the last grocery store visit.

I got the bike and went to school. The day dragged on and somehow I stopped talking about the bike. I didn’t really care about what people thought about the bike anymore and in truth since it was now three days old it was OLD news indeed.

The day ended and I mounted the bike. While others waited for their parents to come or the proper bus to arrive, I pushed off to defend my freedom. The bike pulled onto the street with purpose and soon it was at the woods. I had retrieved the bag and emptied its contents into my coat. The bag went into my backpack and I started back through the woods to the road.

The hill pulled me along and the house was coming up. Excitement slowly crept up from deep within. I wasn’t scared today. The fear was gone.

I focused my thoughts on my surroundings and continued down the hill. The barks came, but they did not hold the power they once had. Movement was detected to the right and I slammed on the brakes. I needed to concentrate and having the bike still meant the beast had to come further because I was no longer moving towards it. Seconds passed and the beast came rushing toward me knowing it had won.

I was calm inside because I was prepared and the fear was not there. Just like the cowboys and Indian shows I watched every Sunday with my Dad whether I wanted to or not, I unleashed my most terrible battle weapon against the animal. The wooden handled single shot pump BB pistol my Dad had bought me earlier that year flew out of my belt and the makeshift holster I had made, and came to bare on the enemy charge. A shot rang through the afternoon wind and yelps of a defeated enemy and the pounding of retreating paws filled my ears.

I am older now. I am wiser one might say. No longer do I fear animals knowing that I am now bigger, faster and more prepared than before. I work downtown now and am now walking to my car down the block getting off a long day at work remembering the story of my youth. The sun is almost gone and night is claiming the streets.

“Hey man! Whacha got in your pockets?!” tore through the peacefulness of the walk. I turned to face a large man wielding a pipe in his hands and who brows shaped in anger. I'm calm inside because I was prepared and the fear was not there.

THE END

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น