Outline
The story is of one man displaced from what he knows new job no friends no family losing his job and having to make do in a strange place with no EXISTING support structure or money.
There was nothing especially striking about Matthew Jones. He was a competent middle manager at a dull office complex where boring people do boring things. So it's somewhat surprising that when he saw the ad on Craigslist for a new career half the country away, he actually sent his resume.
He had found the ad quite by accident, by hitting the “get lucky” button on a Google search for something completely unrelated. But the job sounded “interesting” and Matthew's recent divorce had left him nothing in the area- besides bills.
The company replied enthusiastically enough that Matthew spent some time on Priceline, and was soon jetting to New York for an interview. Something about the woman doing the interview struck him as very phony, but not so much as a to scare him off from the job she offered.
A month later found him installed at a desk in New York doing almost the same job he had before with a different letterhead and logo on his card. It cost all his savings to move the meager possessions his ex wife had left him to a one-bedroom efficiency apartment on the outskirts of the city- more Bronx than Yonkers. But, in his mind, he was starting over.
The prices in New York were much, much more than they had been in his old town, but he had expected that, it was all of the new taxes and extra fees he wasn't prepared for. Luckily he had sold his car, figuring to rely on public transportation in the city, before he had left so he had a swiftly dwindling slight reserve.
When the New York County Sheriffs department showed up at his new office with a no-nonsense look and began putting everything into boxes and escorting the workers into a small room for questioning, Matthew knew that his job was over. Whether or not the company was still opening tomorrow, he sure wasn't going to be there.
It turns out he had nothing to say in the matter because after escorting all the employees out, including the upper management team in handcuffs, the Sheriff's Department placed a very large padlock on the door along with a bright yellow piece of paper that warned of dire consequences for trying to enter the property.
Matthew went the next day to try and file for unemployment, and was told that it would not be happening. He was not sure whether or not the woman who was “helping him” was right but he was so frustrated that he merely went home and searched the Internet for news on his company's demise. He found that they had serious tax issues and that either the city, the state. the US government, or some combination had seized their accounts and that there was mention of fraud as well with pending lawsuits from more than one client.
Although it was just past noon, Matthew opened himself a beer, plopped down on the couch, and tried to work out what he should do. He had $200 left in the bank, a check coming from the company (may be) for two weeks work, and some cold takeout in his refrigerator. The only upside was he was low enough on the totem pole that he didn't have to leave his office in new jewelry furnished by the Sheriff's Department like his phony speaking boss.
Matthew figured Craigslist got him into this mess maybe it could get him out. And he began looking for jobs. There weren't many. But, he began sending his resume around.
They say in New York City it takes one month per $10,000 desired to find a job. So, if you want a job that pays $50,000 per year it will average you five months to find it. $200 and some old Lucky Dragon Mushu were not going to last him five months, so Matthew signed up for food stamps.
The $200 a month food stamp allowance didn't seem like much but it was better than starvation or dumpster diving in his mind so he gladly took his new food stamp debit card to the local grocery store to see what could be done.
The prices at the grocery store for the food that he normally ate would have eaten his month-long budget in less than a week so he bought a can of ravioli for the night and left the store nearly empty-handed and two dollars down on his budget.
At this point Matthew wished his folks were still around, but that wasn’t going to happen, so he went to the library to use a computer without having to go all the way back home. When he got online to look up how to make $200 last month he found a wealth of information.
Things on frugality, making do, reusing, and much much more. A whole new world begin to appear for Matthews eyes. He found a wealth of knowledge had never been taught. There were whole aisles of groceries that he had never been down. He learned he could spend four dollars on a loaf of bread or four dollars on a bag of flour and get many loves for the price of one. Because he had never baked before, that led to getting a book on baking where he learned he didn't need a bread pan, but, merely a piece of stone or tile. Since this was the very first day of his frugality, he decided to move slowly so that he didn't waste his meager resources quickly. The first step, he decided, would be baking bread. For no other reason than it was the first item on a list on the web. He started out of the library armed with a printout of basic bread making instructions that read something like this:
6 Cups all purpose flour or bread flour
2 cups lukewarm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon yeast
Mix all ingredients in bowl until too stiff to stir with a spoon, continue to mix with hand folding into the center of the bowl and pressing down with the heel of your hand until a smooth and consistent dough is formed. Cover bowl with towel until the dough has doubled in size. Cut the dough lump in half, and form into either round loaves or oblong; or place each lump in greased 8” loaf pan. Bake in pre-heated 400° oven for 15 to 20 min. or until crust is golden brown and bread sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom.
This was the simplest recipe he could find, and it seemed that even he could muddle his way through this. He began the 20-block walk home. On his way he passed a hardware store that specialized in redoing kitchens and baths, and offered condo owners and ambitious renters free classes in how to use the materials they sold.
Not wanting to have to buy pans with his meager cash he decided to go into the hardware store and see what stones sold for. He walked over to the tile section and saw many different kinds of tiles and stones for sale. An older gentleman with an apron on came over to talk to him and see if he could help.
“May I help you find something?” The gentleman asked Matthew with a smile.
“Actually, maybe you can, I am in uncharted waters.” Matthew replied.
“Story of my life working in a hardware store!” The man chuckled. “Let's see if we can get through this together. Tell me what you broke, and we'll get it fixed before she sees it.”
Matthew snorted “well, I didn't break anything at least. I'm interested in trying to bake on stone. I read about it on the Internet, but you have so many different kinds of stone and tile here that I don't even know where to start. And I'm on a tight tight budget.”
“two tights" the man nodded “gotcha! My wife uses a pizza stone we got from Williams and Sonoma for $700 billion so I have seen them, but I'm not a baker so let's just use common sense.”
“None of this is common to me!” Matthew stated “where should we begin?”
“Well, the stone she has is a natural stone but I suppose a terra-cotta tile would work as well they're both very similar. But since you're going to be cooking on it, and we don't know what these tiles are glazed with exactly since they are decorative and not culinary let's try to use a stone, so we don't we do not poison you.” With this he walked over to one of the aisles that were filled with boxes of varying sizes each with its own samples outside.
Together they looked over the various stone squares until they found a box of light color, brown stone tiles. “Well, these are a light color so I don't think they'll hold the heat too much and scorch the bottoms of whatever your baking. But there are also no flaws in them, flaws may be pretty but they're usually a separate kind of stone and may heat up at a different rate, which would probably break your stone. Why don't you just take one and let me know how it works out maybe I'll start selling them here individually for an increased amount as “Baker's Stones”
Are you sure”, Matthew asked.
“Sure am!” Said the man. “Individual stones are only a couple of dollars, and if I can mark them up by selling them as baking stones it's worth it may since I don't have to do the experimenting. You just make sure you come back here and tell me how works. If it doesn't,we will try a different one. Listen, I know that to two tights in a budget is really five tights! And this might help out both of us”
“Well you're right there!” Matthew said extending his hand. “And thank you. My name is Matthew and I will definitely let you know what I learned about our patented, handy-dandy baking stones.”
“Ben Johnson.” The man said shaking Matthews hand. “And if I were you, what I would do is wash that stone well, then heat it in your oven at its lowest temperature for several hours before I tried baking on it at high heat.”
“Why is that? Not that I doubt you, I'm just wondering.” Matthew inquired.
“Well, stones are porous. And when you wash the stone to get off any manufacturing residues- hint, hint, you're going to be introducing water into all those pores. So, if you were to boil that water quickly by baking something at high heat, that water would turn to steam and maybe break that stone, possibly quite violently and break your oven window, or do some other damage. Don't want you suing me over a piece of tile!” Mr. Johnson laughed.
“Makes sense to me.” Matthew said. How will I know when it's done?”
“Heck if I know!” Mr. Johnson said. “I would just give it a few hours.” Maybe just turning the heat up a little bit here and there. Who knows? Your the experimenter.”
“Great, I am glad that my oven does not have a window!” Matthew smiled and waved over his shoulder as he headed to the grocery store with his stone tile in his hands.
In New York no one looks at you funny no matter what you carry, so no one looked askance at Matthew for walking through the city carrying the 2 ft.² piece of stone.
When he got to the grocery store, a clerk asked him to leave the stone by the door, which Matthew gratefully did, Then he went to baking aisle and was amazed at the selection of different baking flours available. His first inclination was to just grab the cheapest bag and call it a day luckily an old woman took pity on him and said “do you need some help Hun?”
“I'll sure take some.” Matthew said trying not to look too relieved.
” Well then I will give it to you rather than seeing your picture in the obituaries because you brought home rice flour instead of whole wheat.” She smiled “that is assuming you're buying this for someone other than yourself.”
“Well, the one I have to answer to is myself for now. But, I sure would like some help anyway. Who would have thought there were so many different kinds of flour available.” Matt answered her with a grin.
“Differing flour bakes different things. What are you trying to bake?” She asked.
“Well, to begin with bread, and then maybe … some cookies?” He replied.
“Are you asking me or telling me?” She replied with a smile. “Because I sure don't know what you're going to make.”
“Well you said different flour bakes different things, can I use one flour to bake both bread and cookies?” He asked.
“Sounds like you want an all-purpose flour” she replied. “You should get an unbleached flour, and unbrominated. That is much better for you than the overly processed stuff. And there is no real taste difference to most folks. If you were just baking bread, I would have suggested a bread flour, also known as a high gluten flour.”
She pointed to a bag of flour on the bottom shelf in a 10-pound bag, and said “that is the brand that I use and I get the 10 pound bag because it's a lot more for the money. You see it's four dollars for a 5-pound bag and the 10-pound bag is only a $1. 50 more that is a huge savings. I have to pay attention to those things because I'm on a fixed income.”
“You're right! That's a big difference. Since I intend to be baking for a while now maybe I should just get the 10 pound bag.” Matthew said. “I guess I should just get a big bag of everything I need.”
“Not so fast.” The woman said “you have to do the math. It's not always a better deal for the bigger container. The store manager knows that people think that way and sometimes the better deals in the smaller container. Especially when it's a perishable item once the container is opened.”
“Tricky!” Matthew said.
“Hey, they are just trying to make a living. It's not their fault if people are too lazy to do basic math in order to save money. It amazes me when I see people I know are minimum wage workers wasting two or three dollars on a single product when I know they had to work half an hour or so for the difference. When I was younger we paid attention to those things, we had to. So young man, what else is on your list?”
“Salt, sugar, and yeast.” Matthew stated.
“Sounds about right for bread,” she said “but I would add a teaspoon to a tablespoon of olive oil to whatever recipe you're making.”
“Why do you recommend that?” Matthew asked.
“Well, homemade bread has no preservatives. By adding oil most specifically olive oil, you will get another day or two before the bread goes stale without significantly changing the recipe. Not that one can’t use the bread once it's stale, croutons, bread pudding, French toast, and my favorite twice baked bread are all delicious uses for stale homemade bread.”
“Okay, olive oil it is. But what are bread pudding and twice baked bread? And by the way thank you for all this information, I hope you don't charge by the hour!” Matthew said with a grin.
“I would if I thought you could afford my rate!” She rejoined “I'll just be happy if I can heal another useless man!”
“Ouch!!” Matthew said.
“Just kidding!” She smiled “the twice baked bread is simply using stale bread which has been crushed as part of the recipes flour. It makes the bread really moist on the inside and extra crunchy on the outside. The bread pudding is a mixture of bread and eggs and nutmeg and Brandy that is baked as a dessert. They're both quite good as well as being thrifty.”
“I will have to look up recipes for both of them when I get home on the Internet.” Matthew said.
“Well if you're on the Internet I can just e-mail you my recipes if you like. My kids always seemed to like them. If you have a pen I will write my e-mail address down for you.” She said with a smile.
“I don't have a pen but I have a business card with my personal e-mail address on it.” Matthew said “I'm surprised you're willing to give out your e-mail address in today's day and age and with all the things that have been going on,. Mrs..?.” Matthew said.
“Jane. And if society gets so bad as to make me worry about helping someone with something as simple as a recipe, I would head for the hills!” She said and began walking up the aisle pocketing his card. “Here is your yeast she said handing him a jar of dried yeast.
“I'm kind of on a budget, I need to check the prices.” Matthew said with an embarrassed grin.
“Aren't we all!” She replied “but this is another one of those deals like the baking flour, the packets have 3 tablespoons of yeast and for a dollar 50 more you can get the jar which has much much more. Of course, you can use a little of this yeast to start your own sourdough starter, but sourdough isn't good for everything."
The salt and olive oil proceeded much the same. Matthew learned the difference between kosher, sea, iodized, table, and pearled salt. He ended up with iodized AND kosher in his cart. In the olive oil department he learned that extra virgin cost much more than pomace. Pomace oil was cheaper than blended olive oil, and was usually 100% olive oil, while blended was often a mixture of olive and soy or vegetable oils. He nearly moaned when he saw the price of the oil- on sale at $14.00- but he figured he could make 96 batches of bread with it and it seemed more reasonable.
Jane promised him to send recipes along directly, and Matthew went home to ply his newfound hobby.
Since It was still early in the day Matthew started by rinsing the stone off in his bathtub and scrubbing it with water and a Scotchbrite dish sponge. He didn’t use soap because he wasn’t sure about the soaps residue affecting flavor if it were to get trapped in the infamous pores. He then dried it off well with his bath towel and put it in the oven set to 200 degrees. That done, he got out a mixing bowl and mixed his bread ingredients up in it. While at the Library, he had seen lots of instructions on kneading and not kneading. He decided to use the method his recipe called for-It seemed a good compromise.
When he had reached the point where the wooden spoon wasn’t working so well any more, he reached in with his hand and began folding the mix into the center of the bowl from the outside. After his fingers pulled the mix into the center he would push it down with the heel of his hand and turn the bowl a couple of inches, repeating the fold each time. In a matter of a couple of minutes he was rewarded with a smooth elastic dough. It was no where near the ten minutes of continuous kneading some experts maintained was minimum. But a little more than the No knead methods. He covered his dough with a dish towel and set it atop the stove to rise.
He peaked in the oven and saw that there were no more little puddles on his stone so he said what the heck and turned the oven up to 300. Then he hit the internet to see what else he could find on stones for baking. He found that he could just leave the stones in the oven, They would make the preheat times for some recipes longer, but would provide more even cooking, and allow him to shut off his oven earlier and let the food continue cooking- that meant he didn’t have to find a place to store a stone in his little kitchen area- that was a plus.
He also read he shouldn’t clean the stones with soap and water- or oven cleaner. Instead he could just scrape them off and they would become more and more non-stick with use. If they ever got too bad he cold wipe them with a damp cloth, or cook them by themselves at his ovens hottest temperature for a while and everything would just burn off. No dishes- another plus.
Looking at his watch he saw an hour had passed so he went to the kitchen to find his dough risen nicely. He checked the stone and his oven read 300 with no stone issues. And as it wasn’t sizzling, he turned his oven to 500 to preheat the stone for baking.
He turned the dough out onto the counter- which he had lightly dusted with flour. Using a steak knife he cut the dough into two chunks. One he made long and skinny like French bread, the other just kind of round-ish and flat. He laid his towel over them and let them rise till his oven sounded it’s buzzer- letting him know the preheat was done. He tossed his loves into the oven- nearly singing his eyeballs in the process- “good lesson” he thought “let the initial blast of heat out before jamming your head in!” He dusted the stone with a little flour – which instantly browned with a slight burned smell. Placing the two loaves on the stone, he shut the door, set his buzzer, and waited.
Fifteen minutes is no time at all for some things, but waiting for bread- t might as well be a million years. About halfway through- the smell of baking bread hit his stomach like a sledgehammer. It was all he could do to wait for the buzzer before opening the door.
He could not believe how good it smelled when he put his bread on the counter to cool. He decided to eat some right away, and let the other one cool. And learned another valuable lesson. 500 degrees is hot- and bread out of the oven is the temperature of the oven. Sucking in air around the bite of bread that was so hot it was bringing tears to his eyes, he still could taste the fresh bread taste that only someone who has eaten it straight from the oven can understand. At that moment he decided he would never not bake his own bread again- no matter how much money he had. The first loaf was gone, as was his day.
Matthew wrapped the remaining loaf in the dishtowel and went to bed, chuckling to himself about eating only bread and water- and thinking that was just fine with him.
The next morning when Matthew awoke his apartment still had a lingering scent of baking from the day before. Matthew lay in bed trying to decide how he would spend his day. He knew that he still had some shopping to do because after all “man does not live by bread alone”.
Having spent most of his adult life employed as a manager some sort Matthew decided to approach this as you would a problem at his office. So getting out a pad, a paper, and his pocket calculator, he decided to list is necessary tasks, assets, and bills to figure out what exactly he was going to do.
On his tasks list his first action item was “find employment!” Which he also underlined twice. Under that he listed “groceries”, “laundry”, “stop by hardware and thank Ben”, and “check Internet for recipes and hints”
On the asset side the list was short as well. His checking account had one dollar and and that had to stay so that they would not close his account. He felt very fortunate that he was still in the “free checking for six months” phase of his account or else the account would’ve been closed for lack of service fees.
Under that he listed “$182 cash”, “$174 food stamps”, and “change jar-amount unknown”. Because Matthew was not sure anymore money would be forthcoming from his job (which in his mind he now referred to as “Dewey, Screwem, and Howe”) so he did not list that as an asset. Matthew figured that if the money came it would be a blessing but if it was counted on and didn’t occur, it would be a tragedy.
Under bills he listed “rent”, “ electric”, “phone-Internet-cable-combination”, and “cell phone”. As his food was covered under food stamps, and the rest of his utilities were included in the rent these were the only bills that mattered.
For the first time Matthew was glad that as a condition of the divorce they had to settle and cancel all credit cards that were held jointly. Matthew had not gotten to signing up for new ones, because he had been busy with the move and his visa logo ATM card had been enough. For a panicked moment, he almost went online and signed up for a few of them, thinking maybe that they would give him a window of safety even if they were more expensive in the long run. But, ended up concluding to himself that he had enough problems without that worry.
Rent was not due for almost 3 weeks, and he had put down security, and last month. He thought that he could stretch those out to three months before they evicted him, but hoped he wouldn’t have to find out. The next item on the list was a letter via e-mail to the electric company explaining the situation. He had not even gotten his first electric bill yet, so he was not sure what the reaction would be. His next call was to Time Warner cable. The lady in customer service told him that since his cable had not been on for a month, and he had a month free trial on his Internet-cable-phone triple play, she would list his cancellation due to dissatisfaction. She explained that this would mean no charges would be coming to him, and that customer service would probably call and offer an even better deal to try and “win him back”. As Matthew hung up the phone, he was glad that he had not waited until the bill was months past due, and ended up with bad marks on his credit score, and interest payments for something as easily lived without as TV. The house phone also was something he felt certain he wouldn’t really miss, as he tended to give out his cell phone number anywhere it was required anyway.
Verizon wireless was his next call. He spoke with someone in the financial services department. She helped him drop his service to the minimum minutes, and noted to his account that he had called before a problem arose. She explained to him that this made him a lower risk and that as long as he called every couple weeks to keep them informed he could even avoid some of the late fees. As an aside, she reminded Matthew that if he knew the number calling, he could just let it go to voicemail and return the call from a landline. He could even check his voicemail from a landline, but since that was already a free call he did not think he would have to go to that extreme.
After hanging up the phone a great sense of relief washed over Matthew. Unconsciously his future bills had been weighing on him much more than he knew. He also wondered how much money he had wasted on his cell phone bill over the last year with unused minutes every month. Perhaps after he got back on his feet, he would leave his minutes at the lower level and see what happened, all of a sudden $100 seemed like an awful lot of money. He could not even remember the last time he used the Internet on his phone yet he was paying $45 a month for the privilege, plus tax of course.
Matthew started a pot of coffee, and went back to his list as it brewed. The first item jumped out at him “find employment”. Matthew decided to find some part-time employment at least until something better opened up. It would be easier to walk out on a part-time job that was supplementing his income than to live in a cardboard box under a bridge. He decided to look around in the area and see what he could find.
As the coffee pot chimed, Matthew got up and went into the kitchen area of his apartment. He poured himself a cup of coffee, and cut himself a generous slab of the remaining loaf of bread from the day before. Butter and jam completed his breakfast as he helped himself to a second slice.
Since he had eaten almost all his bread, he started another batch and loaded all his laundry into a basket. He then headed down to the laundry room in the basement of his building. As he loaded coins out of the jar into the washer’s greedy slot, he realized it was another way he spent more money than he thought. $2.50 a load to wash and three dollars to dry added up quickly.
Unconsciously he sighed out loud. A young man at a washer nearby chuckled and asked, “what happened? Wash your wallet? That’s life!”
“Not quite,” Matthew laughed. “ I was just ruminating that for the price of doing laundry, I might as well just buy new clothes!”
“If we had better thrift stores nearby you might be right.” The man said. “When I first came to America, everything I bought came from thrift stores. But here in New York city the thrift stores are well picked over, and comparatively expensive. Unless you find a good church thrift store off the beaten path.”
“Where you from?” Matthew inquired. “I don’t detect an accent.”
“Thank you very much, I worked hard to get rid of it. I am from Argentina originally. I came here when I was in high school with my folks. I’m in broadcasting and hope to be an anchorman someday so I practice “television English” unless I’m with my family and friends. When I first got here we had no money, it’s and it wasn’t much better when I was in college. If you like we can practice an old college money saver right now.” He said.
“What would that be?” Matthew asked with a smile.
“Well you’re about to push start on a half-empty dryer and I have a half-empty dryers worth of clothes.” Mann said holding out a half-empty basket with a smile. “Want to go Dutch”
“Heck yeah!” Matthew said opening the door and gesturing welcome with his arm.
The two men talked as the dryer tumbled their laundry. And Matthew found out the man’s name was John, which, Matthew suspected was another Anglicization, but refrained from asking.
John was currently working as an intern at a cable access station here in the city. And was looking in the area for a full-time newscasters job. “Jobs are few and far between these days,” he lamented. “ Things were much better when my father and mother brought us here years ago.”
“How so?” Matthew inquired.
“ When my folks came, my dad got a job in a grocery store meat room cleaning up. Within a few months he was an apprentice butcher. Now he is the head butcher at another store the chain. I used to think that an opportunity like that would come along for me if I just kept my nose to the grindstone and did my best. Now, I’m not so sure an opportunity like that will present itself. And now I have to resort to sharing dryers with a guy I don’t even know.” He smiled, clapped Matthew on the back, and said “not that I mind.”
“Be careful you don’t start a self-fulfilling prophecy my friend.” Matthew said. “And don’t jinx me either. I’m just starting a job search I’m in a hurry.”
“I feel for you, really. It’s tough out there for sure. What if you look around, there are people looking for honest hard-working people.” John said. “If you want my advice, you should look for part-time stuff that grocery, convenience stores, or a hardware. Those places are always looking.”
“Well I have to go back over to our hardware store this afternoon, and I’m going to be a hitting a grocery store on the way home from that, so I’ll make sure I bring along a pen and so couple of applications.” Matthew said.
“If you’re getting anything from the hardware store for the apartment, you can see the receipt and try to have them take it off your rent next month. They’re pretty good about that even for things like paint.” John informed him.
“Actually, I am just reporting back about an experiment that I did to someone over there.” Matthew said and related the whole experience up to gorging himself with white hot bread to his newfound friend.
“You can make bread?” John asked. “Is it good?”
“Sir, it is incredible.” Said Matthew looking very self-satisfied. “In fact I have a batch rising right now! Which, I might be talked into sharing.”
“After I saved you a dollar 50 on the dry cycle! I still have to talk you into sharing a measly slice of bread! Some people.” John joked.
“Seriously, want to try some, it should be ready in about an hour.” Matthew invited.
“Hot food not from a microwave? I am definitely in.” John smiled.
The two new friends made small talk while they waited for their clothes to dry.
Since Matthew and John polished off another loaf of bread and a full pot of coffee during their bull session at Matthew’s apartment, Matthew started another batch, and decided from now on he would make double batches until he rounded out his larder. It was either that or spend his days chained to his stove.
After John left Matthew checked his e-mail, and found a reply from Con Ed’s (Electric company in NY) customer service department about his electricity bill. The letter explained that service would not be interrupted for at least three months because it was a four-month Suspension policy during the summer. It also explained that if anyone in his house had any medical conditions that required electricity for treatment they would not cancel the service at all- but proof must be shown. And the final bit of information was that if he had food stamps, there might be further assistance available from state that were available without further approvals necessary, including the HEAP program in colder months. And the letter provided several agencies information as well as phone, web, and e-mail contact information. Although Matthew was not looking to be on the welfare bandwagon for long, he printed out the letter just in case and posted it with a magnet on the giant white steel bulletin board in his kitchen that also kept his milk cold.
His e-mail also contained a note from his new friend Jane the grocery store guru. She was inquiring as to the success of his bread making, and sharing a couple of recipes that she thought he might like to try. Each recipe was preceded by a sentence threatening his life should he share this culinary masterpiece with any unworthy individuals which Jane had not previously approved. Very tongue-in-cheek and actually quite amusing Matthew thought. The recipes included not only the twice baked bread, and bread pudding, but also, two cookie recipes, and a homemade Bisquick style baking mix which went something like this:
Jane’s Amazing Baking Mix -careful this one will get you married if you feed it to women who love good food!
▪ 5 cups flour
▪ 1/4 cup baking powder (get the Aluminum free Matthew!)
▪ 2 Tbsp. sugar
▪ 1 tsp. salt (try iodized for this Matt!)
▪ 1 cup butter, margarine, or shortening – don’t use lard!
1. Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. (cutting is using a fork to mix it in until it is just little crumbs!)
2. Keep your mix in an airtight container or zip-lock bag with the air squeezed out as best you can for up to 6 weeks or in the freezer for longer storage.
3.
• TO MAKE BISCUITS
Mix together 1/3 cup of milk to every cup of mix. Drop onto un-greased cookie sheets (you can use your stone!) and bake @ 450ºF for 10-12 min.
*you can put in other ingredients if you wish. Try cheese or herbs but put them in and mix up a bit before adding the milk.
* 1 cup of mix will get you about 6 biscuits.
TO MAKE PANCAKES:
Mix 2 cups of mix with 1 cup milk and 2 (large size) eggs. Cook on hot griddle.
• Just as with the biscuits you can add any other ingredient you would like, such as chocolate chips, strawberries, or blueberries. This is a great use for berries or fruit with bad spots that you can cut out and still have some fruit left- Waste Not Want Not!
This mix is much cheaper than actual baking mix. And if you want to, you can use buttermilk instead of milk. I just use the milk though! Let me know how your doing with these recipies, and if you have any problems or questions.
Your friend
J!
PS I shop on Wednesdays to get the senior citizen discount. If you want another lesson, I get there around 11 o’clock usually.
Matthew chuckled his way through the entire e-mail, thinking how she wrote exactly as she spoke. He was also very grateful that she had taken so much time to include so much detail. He could not remember a time when someone he didn’t even know had taken so much effort on his behalf. He replied with a thank you, and told her that she could be sure she would be seeing him the following week. He also informed her that people were coming from all over the neighborhood just to try his bread, or at least one man had. And the review had been stunning.
That being done, he put his remaining loaf of bread into a plastic shopping bag from his grocery trip and set off to the hardware store.
When Matthew arrived at the hardware store he found Ben helping a frazzled mother juggling two children, a small dog, and a pile of tile samples out of the door. The woman had balanced the tile samples on the awning of her double wide stroller. Matthew was sure that if he followed the woman home with a video camera, he would get some hilarious footage, but since he was sure that would freak her out, and he didn’t have a video camera anyway, he put it out of his head.
Ben recognized him, and put out his hand with a smile enthusiastically saying, “Bread man, what’s good!”
Instead of taking his hand and shaking it Matthew placed the bag he had brought into Ben’s outstretched hand.
“Uh-oh, Shards?” Ben asked with a smile. “Feels too light for that.”
“Well it was bread when I left home, but after 20 blocks it may just be crumbs, so you might be close.” Matthew said with a smile.
“ Hey! It worked? How does it taste?” Ben fired at Matthew.
“Well, that loaf is for you to find out, oh master of tile and grout! And now - baking stones!” Matthew rejoined.
“ Well now, let’s see how the boy did.” Then he smiled, taking the loaf of bread from the bag and breaking it in a half. He offered one half to Matthew and took a giant bite out of the other.
“No thanks!” Matthew said. "if I eat another bite of bread today I’ll probably burst. I am on the anti-Atkins diet plan lately it seems, and I am about Carbed-Out.”
“Say, this isn’t half bad! You sure you don’t want any?” Ben mouthed around a mouthful.
“I am completely sure, but I am glad you like it!” Matthew said. “You did me solid, and that is the least I can do.”
“Well, to pay me back completely, you will need to bring me a loaf every day for a year!” Ben said with a straight face and then winked.
The two men laughed, then Ben asked questions about the methods that Matthew had used, which Matthew answered as completely as possible.
“Make sure you save that stone Matty boy!” Ben said.
“I plan to, but why do you say so?" Matthew replied.
“Because it’s the first of many we are going to sell of the “Matthews Own Baking Stone Collection. I am going to type up what you just told me, and put them on an end cap with a sign and the sheet of instructions, and sell them for more than you can believe over by the register. If it works out, I will give you a cut. Maybe we can get a “tight” out of your budget.” Ben giggled.
“I don’t need a cut, consider it a done deal, but in lieu of the cut I don’t have to bake for you more than once every 6 or 7 months! What do you say” Matthew said.
“Deal!” Ben said.
After a few more minutes of banter, Matthew said goodbye and turned to leave. Then he had a thought. “By the way Ben, you guys wouldn’t be hiring?”
“We actually just hired this kid two days ago. But, he may not work out, he’s already been late. Why don’t you fill out an application, I will put a star on it, and if he goes your in. It’s only part time though… That what your looking for?” Ben asked.
“Anything is what I am looking for!” Matthew answered.
“Gotcha!” Well let’s see what happens.” Ben replied handing a printed application form and a pen to Mathew.
“Thank you, but I came prepared!” Matthew said, whipping his pen out and showing it to Ben.
“It’s good to be prepared, two stars on your application!” Ben replied and the two of them laughed as Ben went off to help someone match pieces of Travertine. When Matthew finished filling out the application he left it on Ben’s desk, and headed for the door. He caught Ben’s eye, and pointed at the desk and waved. Ben waved back and Matthew headed out the door and towards the grocery store.
As Matthew walked towards the grocery store, he was rolling his financial situation, as pertaining to food stamps, around in his head. He knew that food stamps did not pay everything, for instance he could not get cleaning supplies, toiletries or beer using them. He was glad he didn’t have any pets currently, because their food would have been his cash as food stamps did not cover them.
Since his shopping date with Jane was a few days off yet, he decided to only get enough food for the day. That way he could take advantage of spot sales, and it would give them a reason to get out of the house tomorrow.
He decided to get enough food to have a regular dinner tonight and breakfast tomorrow, and to eat as little as possible (no pun intended) into his food budget so that he could do a big shop with Jane.
He also made a point of deciding whatever he got would be good for him. He made this decision on a whim, but he was also thinking that right now it wouldn’t do very well to be run down, or lack energy. And if there was snack food in the house when he had nothing much to do, he would just eat it all.
Matthew walked into the store, went to the courtesy counter, and asked for an application. He filled it out and gave it back to the woman behind the counter. She thanked him and turned to the next person in line. He supposed she wasn’t the one hiring anyway so he turned away and began to walk up and down the aisles trying to get an idea of what to make for dinner. In the soup aisle, he saw that Ramen noodles were still three for dollar. He picked up a package and read the ingredients. When he saw how many ingredients were in the package that were only described by chemical names, and that the product had MSG in high amounts, he put it back until he could learn more. Even though the package was quite inexpensive, it did not meet his nutrition requirements self-imposed though they were. As he was walking the aisles, he noticed that in the back corner of the store were two shopping carts full of scratched, dented, torn, or damaged looking packages and cans. They were marked down to half price.
Matthew decided to see what was in the carts, and perhaps just make selections from here to save money. A few of the cans had no dents or discernible flaws, so Matthew asked the store employee why they were in the cart, and if they were indeed discounted.
The woman told Matthew that if a product wasn’t moving well, or if the item was discontinued by either the store, or by the manufacturer, the manager would put them in the carts rather than have only one or two cans on a shelf.
In an undertone she also cautioned him not to take any cans that were dented badly enough to have a sharp edge. She told him that over time simple atmospheric fluctuations of temperature could flex the can several times eventually creating a pinhole big enough to allow germs in, or even botulism spores.
Matthew was surprised. He had often bought the dented cans back in college, and was unaware of this. The woman told him not to ever buy, or use food cans that were warm to the touch, bulging, or dripping. She said while store managers would not place items like that in discount carts, in somebody’s home pantry these conditions could develop. She also mentioned to push down on jar tops and make sure they did not flex. Flexing is a sign that the seal has been broken, and the same bad conditions could develop in the jar as in those cans she had warned him against.
She cocked her head and looked at Matthew, and said “I can’t believe you don’t know the stuff at your age.” Then she smiled and said “no offense.”
Matthew looked at her and said “no offense taken, I guess I just never needed to know so if anyone ever did tell me this stuff it went in one ear and out the other”
“My dad used to say ‘ there is no such thing as bad knowledge’, you never know what you need to know.” She wished him a good day, and moved on.
From the bin, Matthew selected a can of green beans, and one of white potatoes. He moved on to the meat department to find something to cook with them.
In the meat department, a man in a white coat was placing plastic wrapped meat into the display cases. Matthew walked over and asked him what was on sale.
“What do you like?” The man asked.
“I like cheap and filling!” Matthew said.
“I heard that!” The man laughed.
“Well, we sell “dog bones” very cheap. Those are bones that the meat has been trimmed off of for ground beef, or boneless cuts. They are just fine though for making soups, stocks, reductions, or just plain dog bones.” The man said.
“Well, yeah I don’t think I can do dog bones tonight.” Matthew laughed. “I’m not making soup, and I don’t even know what stock and reductions are. Besides the fact that they are called dog bones is a little bit much for me.”
“Don’t knock them, they are one a very nutritious ways to eat red meat they also give you a good amount of calcium. And they are quite tasty. Maybe some other time. Another way o eat meat cheaply is organ meat. A lot of ethnic dishes call for them but most Americans eat three or four common cuts of each kind of meat and ignore the rest.” The man said.
“Organ meat!” Matthew exclaimed “let me just say ewwww!”
The man laughed. “I’m not talking about spleens- although people probably eat them somewhere. I’m talking about things like liver, hearts, and tripe-which is stomach . There are other things like chitlins which are intestines, chicken feet, and kidneys for pie. Most stores carry them, but they are usually not in the display coolers. You just need to ask for them at the window. And they are definitely cheaper than most other cuts. With the exception of beef liver since it is popular.”
“ Hmmm, I’m not trying be judgmental, I just wouldn’t know what to do with any of that stuff.” Matthew said.
“Well then, you’re not on as tight a budget as you thought.” The man said. “Although some of those things, are very expensive in certain restaurants, they are usually quite inexpensive at the store level. But there are definitely other inexpensive cuts that are more conventional, but less sought after than say but T-bone or ribeye. Look over here. And he brought Matthew over to the beef case.
There are several different cuts of chuck. Chuck is a less expensive meat, but still quite good. These are called 7 bone chuck steaks, and they are the cheapest bone in steak. There are a couple of boneless chuck steaks as well, and these,” here he held up a package with five small steaks with a marble of fat through the center in a straight line,” are called Flat Iron steaks. They are actually the most tender cut of beef, and some chefs are catching on to them driving the price up. But we still sell them as chuck.”
He moved down the line, explaining the different cuts of roasts, steaks, and other items to Matthew.
Matthew was amazed at the wealth of information that this man he would have ignored a month of go was giving him. He was even more amazed he knew so little of the food he had been eating his whole life. He had seen beef shanks before, but never thought to buy them. They were cheaper than hamburger! Half the price in fact. So were the Flat Iron steaks.
Matthew ended up taking a package of Flat Iron steaks, and asking the man the best way to cook them.
“I am tempted to say with just a little garlic, but let me give you a quick hint on making any steak at home easily. Do you have any oil and vinegar at home?” he asked.
“ I have some olive oil, I don’t know about vinegar.” Matthew replied.
“well get some! Every kitchen needs it. Olive oil will work, but I prefer sesame oil for beef. Take a knife and lightly score both sides of your steak. Rub some vinegar (I use basalmic- but any will do) over the meat. It often will turn the meat brown, this is normal. Then tub your oil on to the meat- just enough to coat it. You have now tenderized your meat without beating it- and marinated it. The oil seals in the vinegar and makes the meat very juicy. You could put a rub on such as montreal steak, or just some salt and pepper, or even nothing more. The broil your meat. Easy as pie.” The man said.
“Thank you for your help.” Matthew told the man.
“No problem.” He replied. “Have a good dinner!” and he went back to stocking his case.
Matthew left the store down less than 4 dollars. Which he thought was an amazing price for a steak dinner in NYC. As he walked home, he vowed to find out more of the thrifty cuts of meat the man at the store had mentioned.
As Matthew walked up to the door of his apartment building, he heard somebody calling his name. Turning he saw John exiting a cab with a very excited look on his face.
“What’s the good news John?” Matthew asked.
“You’ll never guess, I am on a freelance website as a stringer, and an independent station has asked me to do an interview here in the city with some economist for them. Face time on a station out of state - but it is still face time, and I can add it to my reel.” Came John’s reply.
“Congratulations my friend!” Matthew said. “Just one thing what the heck are stringers, face time, and reels?”
“Ahh! Video news jargon!” John replied sheepishly. “A stringer is a freelance journalist, typically living someplace where news happens often. Smaller media sources, or big sources with no available reporters, use them to provide a coverage in an area on a one-time or time to time basis. Face time just means that my face will be on camera along with whoever I’m interviewing. And my reel is sort of my portfolio. Just a collection of clips of various face time. It shows how good I am on camera and the hard hitting reporting that I am capable of.”
“Well then that is indeed good news.” Matthew told his friend.
“It is "indeed" you nerd. But, you’re right about that and that is why we’re celebrating.” John told Matthew. “I have the beer right here.If you’re of a mind to join me.”
“Hey, what are friends for, if not to drink your beer.” Matthew said. “And I have my own contribution, how about a steak dinner?” Matthew held up his shopping bag for emphasis.
“Matthew! How are you buying steaks? You should be watching your expeditures!” his friend exclaimed, concerned.
“Not to worry my friend, I am becoming an excellent shopper. But do you have any vinegar?” I forgot to pick it up as it was a late addition to my list.” Mathew asked..
“I have some Apple Cider Vinegar that I used to clear up my athletes foot … will that do?” John asked with a smile.
“Not if it is the vinegar you were dousing your fungus in! But we could surely employ the unused portion of the bottle!” Matthew replied with a wink.
“Wise guy! Should I bring anything else? “ John asked.
“Just the beer I think.” Matthew replied.
“Well since I am the one who is celebrating, I am bringing a salad too- since I bought a big one for dinner for myself.” John said.
The two of them discussed the economist John was interviewing the next day as they walked up the stairs to Matthew’s apartment.
“I don’t know much about him.” Said John. “Other than he is a bit of a doom and gloomer. He has been all over the internet talking about a looming economic crash. He is giving a talk at a convention tomorrow over at Javits and I have an interview scheduled with him right after lunch.”
“What is Javits?” asked Matthew.
“It’s a giant convention center in downtown Manhattan. Wanna tag along. I have three press passes. One for me, one for the camera man, and one for a sound guy. But since our sound guy is getting married tomorrow. The camera man is taking over sound, and we have an extra ticket. Of course you will have to hold the mike.” John said.
“A-Ha! Ply me with beer, then talk me into slave labor. I’ve got your number now!” Matthew laughed. “ but it sounds like fun anyway. And since I have nothing better to do, you are on.”
“Did I mention you get paid….?” John asked. “Since your not in Local 1 it isn’t as much as it could be, but it’s a heck of a lot more than you will make sitting on your couch eating all day, which is what you do mostly as far as I can tell.”
“Oh really?” Matthew asked.” Better not leave me alone with your food sir.”
The two friends went up stairs where they prepared the steaks and canned goods.
“You’re a good cook Matthew. I have really enjoyed this.” John complimented his friend.
“Thank you John. I am just learning after all- but I will definitely take any encouragement.” Matthew replied. “What time should I be ready tomorrow?”
“We need to leave here around 8:00- need a wake up call?” his friend replied.
“I’m good- want to stop by here around 7:30 for coffee?” Matthew inquired.
“No thanks though. I am going to be working on the questions for this guy all morning till we leave. If I play this right, I will get more work out of it. I need to be on point. I will just show up at 8:00 and we will grab a cab.” John answered.
John said goodnight and went upstairs. Matthew checked his email by logging into his neighbors WI-FI. It wasn’t protected by a password, which made it legal to use, but Matthew had been trying to figure out whose it was so he could ask permission. It just felt wrong to use someone else’s service without asking. Almost like stealing.
No replies to any of his resumes yet, with the exception of a couple auto responders thanking him for his application. After surfing some news sites, he headed off to bed.
Matthew woke up at 6:00 AM like always. He had been in the habit for many years, and it never occurred to him to change it simply because he wasn’t currently employed.
Since he had some time to kill, he decided to make a big breakfast. Since he had no eggs, he stir-fried half of the remaining steak with some of the leftover salad and potatoes from the night before. He just tossed it all in a pan with some oil. When it was finished, he dished up some on top of a slab of his bread and sat down to enjoy it. The salad dressing added an interesting and enjoyable flavor to the meat. And the bits of olive and onion were quite tasty.
As he helped himself to seconds, he chuckled to himself thinking that John was right, and he was eating quite well lately. In fact better than he ever had since he lost his folks. It had not reached the point where he felt he was eating as an Olympic event. But he decided to use discretion when he felt he was “sport eating”. It was amazing to him that it was cheaper than ever as well. He had spent more on take out a week in the old days than his new budget for a month. He wondered how much money he would have had in the bank if he had just started eating like this years ago. That money would have been handy now.
Finished with breakfast he grabbed his laptop, and a cup of coffee and browsed the net a bit. Checking his email, he saw that Jane had sent him a note. It was quite short, just checking on him. He replied and was just putting on his coat when John knocked at the door.
“Your five minutes early my friend.” Matthew ribbed him.
“Hey, were you cooking AGAIN?” John asked with mock incredulity. “It smells like a steak house in here! How are you so skinny?”
“Good Genes!” Matthew replied as they headed down to the cab waiting out front.
When they got to the taxi, John introduced Matthew to Luc, who would be the cameraman for the interview.
“We work together at the station, and try to share our freelance when we can.” John said. “Friends have to stick together nowadays.”
Luc was originally from Canada, but had been in New York for years. He was a joker like John, and Matthew could see why they got along.
“Canada.” Matthew said. “Isn’t anyone in New York City from New York City?”
“Certainly not!” said the cab driver in broken English. And they all had a chuckle.
The ride from The Bronx to downtown Manhattan in rush hour was longer than you might think, so the three had a long time to talk. John told Luc about the steaks Matthew had made the night before.
“You put vinegar on your steak?” Luc exclaimed. “I never heard that one before.”
“Well, I for one suggest you try!” John said. “It was definitely not the usual Hungry Man Microwave Meal. And I’m glad I have a use for that Apple Cider vinegar now.”
“You said you used it for athletes foot?’” Matthew asked. “I thought you had to get creams and sprays and powders for that.”
“Nope. Apple Cider Vinegar works faster. It’s also a whole lot cheaper. Besides, anything you can eat is better than putting something pregnant ladies can’t touch without talking to their doctor, on MY body.” He replied.
“John, are you pregnant?” Luc asked with a straight face.
“I don’t know if I can take both of you all day!” John quipped with a smile. “Seriously, it works amazingly. Garlic and ginger also work, but they can sting. No jokes from the peanut gallery. My mom is a big believer in Natural Cures. Most of them involve Apple Cider Vinegar. She even cleans the house with white vinegar.”
Luc pulled out his BlackBerry. “Let’s look into this. If it works so well, we should do a story. Things like that can save people money. And with things the way they are… well, it would be a good thing to do. And the “carbon based” will love it.”
“Who are the carbon based?” Matthew asked with a confused look.
“It’s a worn out Luc joke.” John answered. “Organic Chemistry deals with Carbon compounds- People who eat organic become "The Carbon Based", Lame I know, but he enjoys it.”
“Now who’s the wise guy?” Luc asked. “Look here-“ he whistled.” Your mom is onto something.” He showed a page to the other men. Displayed on the phone's little screen was a list of uses for apple cider vinegar. “This site even tells you how to make your own!”
John was suitably impressed, as was Matthew. “What’s the link Luc?” he asked. “I would like to show my mom.
“http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benef...-remedies.html “Luc replied.
“Oh I’ll remember that- yah right!” John laughed. “could you text me the link? Maybe we will do a story on the station. At least for our reels.”
“Sure thing boss.” Luc replied.
“You have a reel too?” asked Matthew.
“Sure do!” Luc replied. “Mine isn’t to show what a pretty boy I am like what’s his face over there.” He almost dodged John’s punch in his arm. “Mine is to show how I handle difficult lighting situations, framings, and other set ups. I usually include a picture of John without make-up so that prospective clients can see the wonders I can do with my camera.”
They were just getting to Javits Center, a giant glass building. The taxi dropped them off by the Jersey Barriers in front and Matthew was glad that John was paying it. Taxi’s are convenient not cheap.
The three men gathered up the gear, and headed inside to register and find the economist they were here to see.
Conventions and trade shows are similar no matter where you go and what they are for, so Matthew was used to the drill as he was going through the registration process, what was unusual was that you don’t have to wait for the show to open when you’re with the press.
They made their way to where the closed room sessions were going on, and looked for the sign for “Emerging Markets Summit”, which was the show they were attending. The Javits Center was big enough that there were several conventions at a time.
There was a table set up for people looking for information, about where to go and who was where. John walked up and asked where he could meet Dr. Elijah Cummings. He was given a room number and the three men went in search of Dr. Cummings.
He was very easy to find, as he was the only one in the conference room they were directed to. Dr. Cummings smiled at them and asked their names.
John introduced them each to Dr. Cummings, who looked at an itinerary in front of him. Making a small checkmark next to what Matthew assumed was John's name, or the name of the small television station that had sent them, Dr. Cummings smiled warmly and asked if it was to be question-and-answer or a lecture format.
John said, “I have a list of questions that the station manager provided me with, but other questions may present themselves as we go.”
Luc said, “if we could get you to sit at this small table facing each other, I could get some lights on you and will be in business. Does anyone need anything before we start?”
Dr. Cummings replied, “I have already been taking at the catering table right there in the corner, but I would like to have a cup of coffee in case I get dry while we converse. You three should also help yourself, I don’t know how they think one old man could eat all of that anyway.”
John and Matthew walked with Dr. Cummings over to the table, while Luc set up three lights stands from one of his cases. Matthew was amazed that the little case turned into such big lights.
Dr. Cummings was right about how much food was on that catering table. Bagels, donuts, yogurt, fresh fruit, individual servings of cereal, as well as toppings for all of it, orange juice, coffee, and at least a case of water bottles in bins of ice.
As they help themselves to the table’s bounty the doctor shook his head and chuckled.
When John asked the doctor what he was laughing at, he turned to them with a very serious expression’s and said “If things go the way I think they will, what’s on this table would be a treasure worth killing for in some places, in a year or two.”
“I know the economy is not doing the best, but that seems a bit extreme don’t you think?” John replied.
“Well I tell you what, let’s have our interview and if there is time left on our schedule, I will tell you candidly, and off the record what I really think is going to happen.” He answered.
“Why off the record, you know that’s a journalist’s least favorite expression!” John quipped.
“Well let’s just see how it goes, are you ready to begin?” Without waiting for a reply to Dr. headed over to one of the chairs sat down.
“If you hold still for a moment Dr., I just want to clip this microphone onto your collar or tie.” Luc Stated. He moved forward and click the microphone and battery pack onto the doctor. “It’s wireless, so you can just forget you have it on. I’ll take care of the levels from here.”
“Is it my turn?” John asked Luc.
As the two men set up John’s microphone, Matthew asked, “I thought I was holding a microphone for you?”
“You are, the room mic. We use a three microphone set up on interviews.” Luc Replied.
He set up Matthew with a microphone on the end of a pole with the weight on the bottom to help hold it steady. “We call this the boom mike.” He informed Matthew.
Matthew stood next to Luc, and Luc asked both men to speak normally, so he could get sound levels. When he was finished the questions began.
After a short introduction to the doctor for the benefit of the audience at home, John began asking his questions. “Dr., you are getting the reputation of being very bearish on our economy, do you not feel that we are coming back from the so-called “great recession” many economists have stated the economy is seeing green shoots do you feel they are wrong?”
“The economy is not a day in the market, or a week, or monthly job report. It is an aggregate of many different things. And that aggregate is continuing to decline not raise. Therefore I am very bearish as you put it.
According to the www.treasurydirect.gov website, Americas current treasury debt is just about 14 Trillion dollars. Which, the CIA world fact book also says is our Gross Domestic Product. So America is in debt a year’s wages. Plenty of people are, so that doesn’t sound so bad. But remember, that is our GROSS. Every dollar made in the country. By anyone, any company, anything! That isn’t what the government is pulling in with taxes and fees. And that does not include our operating expense, or Interest payments. So our national debt is a really about 10 years taxes if we go by the figures given by our Treasury Department.
So if we use 50% of our tax money to pay down our debt, and no new debt was accrued and we waved a magic wand to stop all interest accruing it would take 20 years minimum to pay off our debt. Of course this means cutting a lot of programs; social, executive, and military. And of course we don’t have a magic wand to wave - so that interest is going to keep growing. And we are increasing our social and executive spending as we grow the government bigger and bigger, and extend more and more benefits to our population.”
“But that does not seem insurmountable,” John said. “20 years does not seem like that much in terms of the government.”
“Right now, the U.S declared debt-to-GDP ratio of 63 percent is expected to rise to 90 percent by 2020 (that means 63% of our GDP would have to go to our debt each year to just break even on debt without any new expenses), according to the conservative forecasts of the Congressional Budget Office. Simply to keep that ratio steady at current levels, inflation would have to average 5 percent a year for the next decade. Which you could maybe stomach for a year or two, then what? Revolution, Starvation, 90% tax across the board? The economy is reaching “Breaking Strain”.” The doctor answered.
“What is breaking strain?” Asked John.
“It’s a term applied to ropes. A rope that will hold you at 3 meters may not be strong enough to hold you at 100 meters. The weight of the rope, the compression on the fibers, becomes too much. Therefore a rope you can climb a tree with may not be strong enough to climb a mountain because of breaking strain. This is what is happening in our economy today. Too many people are jumping on the rope to save their lives. The rope of our economy simply can’t hold them all.” The doctor answered.
“Aren’t you in a relative minority of people who feel this way?” John asked.
“Not really, even “Green Shoot cheerleaders” like Soros are hedging with precious metals. Also if you were to do a web search on sites such as YouTube, you could see people like Jim Cramer the television host talking about the meltdown as far back as 2007. Gerald Celente of the Trends Research center is another good and consistently accurate source. Leffer and others are all saying the same thing as I am and your also not looking at one very large piece.” The Doctor answered.
“What is that?” asked John.
“Private Debt! Personal debt in the US is staggering and increasing. Even way back in 2006, the average was 126% for people in America. We were spending 26% more than we made each year per person! We are spending now about 36% more than we make as individuals. This is unsustainable. When we can’t pay it, the debt reverts to the lending banks, which go for bailouts that the Government has to absorb. And that add to our National Debt. Private debt is just beginning to decline now because of diminishing available credit. Another bad sign for our economy as that means less consumer buying. But the damage is done. We can’t pay back what we have borrowed as individuals. To the tune of 36 trillion dollars in the USA alone. One bad week in the economy, and that could all be added to the national debt. Making our National debt 50 trillion dollars. Which is even more staggering when you realize the Gross Domestic Product of the whole world is only 53 Trillion dollars. It would take all the money in the world - every single penny, yuan, or euro that changes hands for a year, to pay off America’s debt. And we are only one county. Nearly the whole world is in the same shape.”
The questions went on like this for a while. Every answer the doctor gave was like a boot in Matthew's stomach.
Then the doctor concluded by saying “Will Rogers used to say - The best economic advice for a man is this ‘If your income is less than your out go, the only upshot is your downfall.”
John concluded the interview, and shook hands with the doctor. He asked if he had some time to answer a couple of personal questions, but the doctor had some more pressing meetings, so he gave John his email address encouraging him to send his questions along, and the three men left the conference room with all their gear.
The three men were silent as they walked back out to the lobby John asked if anyone wanted to see the booths on the show floor, and collect swag pencils pens and whatever else the companies were giving out, but nobody felt much like doing that today. They were all thinking about what Dr. Cummings had said and free Frisbees were going to take their mind off of things.
“Well, where do you want to go for lunch?” Luc asked.
Matthew panicked for a moment; he did not have the money to spend even on a hot dog. But, John caught his eye and answered Luc, “it’s a small station, and we want more business from them, so we should not soak them too hard on the expense report. Besides, I do not want to tie up too much room on my American Express in case they are slow to reimburse expenses.”
Matthew was grateful to his friend for answering his unasked question in such a way as to not embarrass him in front of Luc. After all he had just met the man.
“Well then, no steaks at the Palm. Friday’s?” Luc asked.
“Done!” Came John’s enthusiastic reply.
Their second cab ride of the day was not nearly as jovial as the first. Matthew asked the other two what they thought about the interview they had just conducted, and the veracity of the doctors opinions.
“Well,” Luc started. “A lot of people who make a heck of a lot more than we do, are forking over $100 to hear him speak. That’s enough for me. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I’ve been sitting here thinking that Marie and I have no savings. I’m still paying off our student debt. And, she hasn’t worked since the baby came because we can’t afford day care.”
“I know what you mean,” said John with a frown. “Savings has not really been my strong suit.”
“Hey, at least you guys have an income.” Said Matthew. “I still haven’t heard back on any of the resumes I sent out.”
“Well if you want some part-time work I can help you there.” Said Luc. “ We are hiring a janitor over at the station, and I was thinking about getting Marie to apply. But decided that we couldn’t afford the daycare even with the addition of a part time income. Why don’t you ride up with us right now? You can interview with Mark. If both John and I recommend you, you will definitely get the job.”
“That’s a great idea if you don’t mind being a janitor!” Said John. “The bus runs directly to our place from the station. Easy on, easy off!”
“I’m game for anything!” Matthew answered.
“One problem solved!” Said Luc. “No charge Matthew!” He said bowing his head graciously and tipping an imaginary hat.
The three friends drifted back to letter matters as they enjoyed their lunch. The taxi ride home found the conversation almost as light as their trip to Javits had been. When they reached the station, John and Luc introduced him to Mark the station manager.
“Are you a drinker?” Asked Mark. The large man had his hair close cropped, looking the entire world to Matthew like Sgt. Rock from the comic books.
“No sir!” Answered Matthew.
“Well that’s too bad! We will try you out anyway! When can you start?” He asked.
“Where’s my time card!” Said Matthew.
“Good answer!” Said Mark. “But tomorrow evening will be soon enough. “Be here at 6 PM, and someone will show you around. Three hours a night six days a week you have Friday night off. Those hours may change, but you will get plenty of notice -maybe!”
“Thank you sir!” Matthew shook Mark’s hand.
“Thank you! One less thing for me to do today. And if you screw up, I can just take it out on these two knuckleheads. Stop calling me sir, its just Mark around here. This is a cable access station, not ABC news.” Mark answered roughly but with a smile.
Since John and Luc were in the editing room, Matthew left a note saying thank you, and caught the bus home.
Chapter 13
On the way home Matthew got off of the bus at the bodega a block from his apartment building. He did not have much food in the house, and felt that since he was going to start working tomorrow he retrieved himself something for ready made.
At the register, there was a glass warming box with orange colored pastry squares of some sort. Matthew asked the clerk what they were. The clerk said “They are patties! Haven’t you ever seen a Patty before?”
“Well I’ve seen them in one or two places since I’ve been in New York, but I’ve never seen them anywhere else. What are they; I mean I know they are patties. But, are they sweet?” Matthew asked.
“I didn’t know there was a place without patties!” The clerk said. “It’s Jamaican food. They’re usually a spicy beef filling. With a crust, it’s like a little meat pie. They are only a dollar why don’t you just try one.” Matthew smiled to himself about how cavalier the clerk was about a dollar. At minimum wage in New York, he had to work 15 minutes to get $2.00.
But at a dollar, that was even cheaper than buying a hot dog. And as Matthew didn’t really like hot dogs he decided to give it a shot. He bought the Patty and a can of beer, and began the very short walk home. He ate the paddy as he walked and decided that it was a little different than anything he had before but quite good. The filling was slightly spicy but not overpowering. All in all it worked quite well with the beer and he had a hot convenience meal for three dollars.
Matthew searched the net for a while, looking at some of the things Dr. Cummings had mentioned earlier that day during the interview. It was amazing how much the facts matched what Dr. Cummings had said.
For the second time in a week, Matthew felt like he had been dropped completely out of his element into another world. The first time had been losing his job, which would have thrown anyone for loop. But now he felt as if he was losing everything he ever know to be true about his country. It was surreal, the more you look into it the more weirded out he became.
Eventually he just closed his laptop and went to bed where he slept very fitfully.
The next morning, Matthew took a long walk to clear his head and think. And as he walked by the hardware store, and his friend Ben caught sight of him through the window and begin waving emphatically for him to come inside. Matthew entered the store to see what was going on.
“Matthew, where the heck have you been? I have not seen you for days. Are you interested in asking how many baking stones we've sold?” Ben asked.
“Has there been a rush on them, or are you just trying to get me to bake for you?” Matthew ribbed his friend.
“Sarcasm is the last refuge of a weak mind.” Ben said with a mock solemn face. Then he laughed and said. “Seriously I have sold a couple of dozen of them. I should have done this sooner. I am selling single tiles at the register for twice what they sell for in the aisle just by putting a little printout on them of how to use them for baking with what we worked out, or really you worked out.”
“We definitely did it together, I would have had no clue other than it was possible without you.” Matthew said. And began to laugh as he saw the little display by the register.
Ben had taken some clipart that looked like it was from the old West, of two portly bald men with giant mustaches, their arms around each other and beneath that, written in a font that looks like it would have been at home on a wanted poster “Benjamin and Matthews Handy Dandy Cookin’ Rocks!” and then beneath that, in smaller type, gave the directions that they had worked out between them.
“What do you say to $.50 per stone sold?” Asked Ben.
“I don’t need anything like that. I am happy to have gotten my stone for free!” Matthew told his friend with a smile.
“My boy, my boy, I can see you you’re going to be difficult about this, but your not being given a choice in the matter. We did this together, and if only one of us profits from it, that is not right. Some people might say it’s bad karma, or something. I personally believe Karma is a load of hooey. But, I don’t need to get sued!” He laughed. “Besides, you’re a good kid on a tight tight budge remember? And I was a kid like that once too.”
“Stop you are bringing tears to my eyes!” Matthew laughed. “Fine, I will take the fifty cents!”
“Great, lets look in the computer, and find out how much I owe you.” Ben said. He pulled up something on his computer and said, “Well, I owe you $7.50, but I am going to give you $10.00 . That will make my accounting easier. I will call you the next time we have $10 for you. I have your number from your application. Of course that money wont start accruing until we sell five more stones. It’s not charity after all it’s business. You have to look after yourself Matthew, not everyone feels the same as I do.”
“Well I am happy to be in business with you then.” He put the ten dollars in his pocket.
Matthew and Ben talked for a few more minutes, and then Ben had to help some other customers and Matthew got on his way.
Because of the bus schedule, Matthew was back at the station about fifteen minutes early. He went inside anyway to see if he could catch Luc or John before he clocked in.
As it turned out, they were both right inside the door as he walked in having some kind of impromptu meeting in the hallway with a couple of other people.
Luc saw him first and shouted, “Matthew, welcome!” as if he were the host at a party. “Everyone, this is my new protégé Matthew who will be working with us for a while.”
John clapped him on the back and said, “He can’t be your protégé Luc, he doesn’t use EH? At the end of every sentence.” He then introduced Matthew to the people standing in their group and told him what each did at the station.
“What will you be doing Matthew?” asked an older woman. “Are you covering for Ollie while he’s on his honeymoon?”
Matthew assumed Ollie was the soundman that he had covered for at the interview at Javits. “I’m just here to make sure the trash doesn’t pile up.” He said with a smile.
“Well your not doing a good job of it!” A rough voice came from behind him. “It’s all collecting right here by the front door. Don’t you people ever go home?
Matthew turned to see Mark walking up to him. He could tell by the way no one seemed to tense up in any way that this was either Mark’s normal tone, or that he was just joking.
“Don’t let Mark scare you off.” The older lady said to Matthew. “He always sounds like he’s going to dress you down, but he’s a ***** cat!”
“And you’re my mouse, I have twenty minutes blocked off for Matthew to show him how to do things right before you lot corrupt him. And you guys can’t even give me that!” Mark said with a twinkle in his eye.
Everyone laughed and drifted off to whatever they were doing. Mark took Matthews elbow and steered him into the front office where he spent a few minutes doing paperwork. Mark complimented him on bringing his license and social security card to prove his identity, and took copies of them for the government forms.
Matthew was pleased to find he was making $10.00 an hour, which was a very low pay for New York City, but more than the under $8.00 an hour minimum wage he had expected.
Next Mark gave him a tour of the studio. There were several soundstages of various sizes for the public to rent and make their own shows. They ranged from a single desk with a few lights to an actual stage with audience seats and a light bar full of fixtures.
There were also several editing rooms and a few sound rooms where musicians could record. The busiest room was the broadcast room where 3 people sat at desks and made sure that everything rolled smoothly on the two channels allotted to the public for the area.
The second busiest was the break room. It was a large room with vending machines, tables and coffeepots. People sat in groups here while waiting for the different rooms or studios they were renting to open up. Mark explained they charged by the hour for the rooms, and also rented the various equipment and lights.
It was a big place, and Matthew asked if anyone else was employed as janitors beside himself.
“Used to be three people, two full time and one part time. Now we have you. Everyone is responsible for cleaning the space they rent. If we need to go in and vacuum or clean up a spill, you will get a note and we will charge them for it at a very high rate, so people tend to be good about it. Mostly your job will be to walk through the offices and empty the garbage cans into the bin I am going to show you. You also need to clean the bathrooms and the break room and sweep the halls. There is a special task each day that should take up about a half hour to an hour that rotates every day on a two-week schedule. It’s a lot but if you stay focused three hours should be plenty. Ahh here we are.” Mark said as he ushered Matthew into the custodial room at the back of the facility.
He handed Matthew a key. “Only you, I and the network guy Tim have keys to this room. The network routers and supplies are in here. The door is to be locked when you are not in here. Toilet paper is expensive enough without some intrepid explorer walking off with a few rolls.” Mark quipped. “You got it from here?”
“I think so.” Matthew answered.
“Great, here is the list of things to do for everyday.” He said handing Matthew a notebook. “Just check it off as you do it and you should be fine. Time sheets are in the back, we do not use a timecard, you just fill in a sheet and leave it on my desk on Thursday. You have a locker here. You can put a lock on it if you like, but no one but me or Tim ever comes in here. I will be in my office if you have any questions.”
With that he left the custodial room, and Matthew got busy. Being a good manager of his time, he just pushed on through, so even though he was unfamiliar with the place and job, he was more than halfway through his list for the day after only an hour on the job. The book of tasks was set up very well. There were fourteen pages each representing a single day for two weeks. The chores were listed in order by rooms starting from the custodial office. The last chore left him by the front door with his cart. He then walked out the front door to the dumpster, emptied his trash and pushed the cart back to the custodial room done for the day.
He ran into John and Luc in one of the editing rooms where they were working on the Dr. Cummings interview. His friends had ordered a pizza and offered Matthew a slice, which he gratefully accepted. John told him he should stop back in when he was finished for the day and hang out with them a bit. He told Matthew that the two of them had many hours of work ahead before the video was ready to send to the station which was paying for it.
“Won’t you get in trouble if Mark sees you hanging out with me instead of working on it? Matthew asked, concerned for his friends.
Luc laughed out loud and John said, “Working in a studio like this one is like nothing else, ten percent of the job is double time and everyone is tense and freaking out, and ninety percent is three quarter time. You’re expected to socialize a bit. Besides, this is a private job Luc, Ollie, and I are doing. We are renting the studio for this. We get it for next to nothing though.”
“Ok then. I’d like to see how it’s done anyway.” Matthew said and got back to work.
When he finished his rounds he locked the custodial room, and went back to the editing room where he found his friends as well as Mark watching the interview. Luc was just re-cuing it to the start as he walked in.
“Are you looking for me? Asked Mark.
“No I’m done for the day. I was just looking for these two, and to see the tape we worked on.” Matthew replied.
“He covered for Ollie.” Luc informed Mark.
“You know sound?” Mark asked.
“I know how to hold a pole…” Matthew replied.
Mark laughed. “Well, if you want to come in here and use the training videos and books on audio, I am sure we could use you here and there until Ollie gets back. At least on the simple stuff. That will save Luc some headaches and you can get more hours.”
“I will take you up on that. Someone recently told me “No knowledge is bad knowledge” and it sounded like good advice. Matthew replied.
“They were right!” Mark said. “Now roll the tape Luc. Let’s see if I can help you find some stuff to cut.”
Luc used his mouse to start playback, and the men watched quietly all the way to the end.
“Your right John.” Mark said. “I don’t know what to cut out of that either. Just send the full tape to them and let them cut out what they want. There is no gaffes to cut- maybe they will be happy with all that footage. Is this guy for real?”
“He is pretty well known.” John replied.
“Well I guess we all have a lot to think about then.” Mark said. “And I am doing my thinking at home. Good night gents.”
The other men said goodnight and Mark left. Luc started the Internet transfer of the footage and put the back up into a FedEx envelope to be sent the following morning. Then they closed the doors and headed out.
Luc headed one off on foot and the Matthew and John hopped the bus home. They sat together but did not say much. It was a quick ride and then as they were walking in John asked, “Are you going to come down early tomorrow as Mark suggested?”
“Yes, I just have a date in the morning, then I am headed over.” He replied.
“You have a morning date? Weirdo!” John teased Matthew.
“Yes, at the grocery store, don’t be jealous.” Matthew replied.
“Double weirdo then Pal!” was John’s quick response.
“Hater!” Matthew said. “It’s with the woman who helped me figure out baking last week! He said. We are going to do a big shopping so I can scam more knowledge off of her.”
“Good! I could use some more good cooking from you.” John laughed.
“Good night John!” Matthew said as he got off the elevator.
“Good night chef Matthew.” John replied as the doors closed.
Matthew chuckled, opened his door and went straight to bed.
Matthew was waiting outside of the store as Jane walked up. She was pulling a fold out wire shopping cart behind her. Another cart, still folded, was inside the first diagonally.
“Good morning Matthew, I’m glad to see you here. I must say I dislike waiting for people. Isn’t that horrible of me?” She laughed. “I am going to need your help getting the second cart out of the first, it was all I could do to get it in there.”
“Wow! When you say you’re going to do big shopping you mean it. Two shopping carts full? How will you get them home?” Matthew said while he got busy listing the second cart out.
“Matthew! You silly boy, I brought one cart for you to borrow, unless you feel like juggling the a lot of bags home by yourself.” She replied.
“Oops!” He answered sheepishly. “That was really nice of you Jane! I didn’t even think of that.”
“Yes, well most people in New York shop nearly every day, or at least every few days, so most people never think of bringing a cart shopping, except us old ladies.” She replied.
“I have noticed that most people with carts are older, I always assumed it was because they didn’t want to bother carrying a lot of bags around at their age. No offense!” Matthew answered.
“No offense taken I know my age, I see it every day in the mirror and I definitely feel it when I wake up on cold mornings. And you’re right; in many cases the only reason people bring the cart is so that they don’t have to carries a few bags, or sometimes it’s harder for them to get out because of things like stairs or just energy levels so they shop less often. But in a lot of cases you will find that older people tend to keep on hand more food than younger people do. It’s a habit we have developed in most cases through experience of some sort.” Came her reply.
“I can’t remember my folks having a great stash of food in their house.” Matthew said. “I wonder why.”
“Are you sure that they didn’t? Did you do a lot of cooking or was the kitchen to you a place to you put frozen burritos into a microwave? After all you didn’t know the difference between flours, so I assume you didn’t spend a lot of time in the kitchen growing up.” Jane said with a smile.
“How come everybody I know is a wise guy?” Matthew said.
They both laughed and Jane asked him what he had on hand at home. He replied that there wasn’t much of anything. She reached into her bag and pulled out a list. She tore the bottom off and handed it to Matthew.
“I hope you don’t mind, I went through my kitchen and prepared a list of the basic stuff that you need. Now this is based on my diet, so if there is anything you do not like, we can do scratch them off the list.
By doing a big shopping once a month it forces you to plan ahead a little bit. So it is easier to buy the right sizes of any product and get the best deal available. It also makes it easier to keep to a budget. The first months are going to be the most expensive for you, because you don’t have a lot of things like spices and such, which are expensive. Why don’t we just go through the list as we walk and play it by ear? I didn’t know what your budget was, so I estimated this list at about $150. If that is too much, we can forgo some things. And if it’s too little well we can add can’t we.”
“Wow Jane, I don’t know what to say. It looks like you went to a lot of trouble for me between the car and this shopping list. I want you to know I really appreciate it.” Matthew said.
“Tish-tosh” Jane said. “It really was no trouble at all bringing the cart was a last-minute thing, and I did your list at the same time I did mine, which I do every week anyway. In reality I only went out of my way by a couple of minutes. And I get to have your company as we shop which should be fun don’t think?” It’s also pretty certain that you are going to be useful putting things in my cart for me!”
They both laughed, and Matthew looked over his list. “This looks pretty complete!” He said.
But he had a worried look on his face. Jane noted it and then she asked what the matter was.
“Well, I am using food stamps, and if it’s around $150.00 like you estimate, I should be fine there, and it leaves me a little reserve, in case I need something in the three weeks until my card is refilled. But what I am worried about is things like cleaning supplies and toiletries- they aren’t covered and my cash is limited.”
Jane said, ”Stick with me kid, I will teach you how to limit that stuff easily. Show me what cleaning stuff you think you need, and I am sure that there are covered products available that do the job nearly as well or better. I use a lot of them too. Even though I am not using food stamps, I have a fixed income, and do not feel like wasting money on glass spray because someone put blue dye in it.”
They walked into the store, and Jane headed for an aisle in the middle of the store instead of starting in produce where the store began. When Matthew asked why she said, “Well, produce has to be juggled when we get to the cans, so why not start there and have them on the bottom?” she asked.
“I guess that’s true, but won’t we still have to juggle them at the checkout?” Matthew asked.
“Our big shopping won’t be all that big Matthew, it all has to fit in the cart right. We can pack the carts from the register tray without any problems at all. My what a worry wart your being.”
The first aisle they went down was the drink aisle. Jane directed Matthew to put a 2.5 gallon cube of water in each of the carts.
“I usually just drink tap water.” Matthew said.
“Which is very frugal and smart of you Matthew, seeing as our NYC water is among the purest water in the US. Pure snowmelt from the Catskill Mountains. Wonderful stuff. And since we live in apartment buildings, the first thing we miss when the power is off. So every responsible boy keeps at least ten gallons of drinking water under his bed. It’s only $1.00 now, but priceless if you need it.” Was her reply. “I won’t lecture about many things, but water is a must.”
“So you have ten gallons under your bed?” Ben asked her.
“Why you cheeky boy! Asking a woman what she keeps under her bed. But since I volunteered for this mission, I will have you know I have 24 gallons of water under my bed. Because that is how many of these containers fit well.” She replied jovially.
“Why do you have that much if you say I need ten gallons.” He asked.
“Ten gallons will take care of you for a week. That’s enough for most things. With a little to spare even. And I did not say to only store ten gallons. I said at least. Here in the city apartments are small. There is not a lot of extra storage. Ten gallons is the make-do amount. I store more because I have a granddaughter who lives in Manhattan. She goes to school there. She would definitely come here to be with me if anything ever did happen. To take care of me.” She laughed to herself at this. “She thinks I am frailer than I am.”
So if you already have water, why are you getting more?” Matthew asked out of genuine curiosity.
“I rotate my water and replace one every 3 months I put the old one in the fridge and i then refill the container until it's time to rotate a new one. Water doesn’t really go bad, but it becomes stale and bad tasting after a time. The plastic containers it comes in allow some air exchange and it is noticeable and unpleasant. I for one don’t want to store water just to have it be unpleasant. I could use the space to keep my shoes it that were the case.” Was her reply. 'if I had the space I would store hundreds of gallons of water."
Matthew had never thought about water going bad, but what she said made sense. And she had been right so far. The two kept walking up the drink aisle. She completely skipped the soda but stopped by the juices. She asked Matthew to hand her two cans of grape juice concentrate and apple juice concentrate. They were in what looked like soda cans.
“Each of these is the same as buying frozen juice concentrate. But since it I don’t have a big freezer, I like to buy them in the cans. Tastes exactly the same. The warm storage cans are about 5cents a can more expensive, but the trade off is worth it in freezer space. What kind of juice do you like Matthew?” she asked.
“Pretty much all juice.” He answered. “I usually bought a bottle with lunch at work.”
“A bottle of juice is twelve ounces. A gallon is 128 ounces. For the price of two twelve-ounce bottles of apple juice here, we can buy a gallon of apple Juice, which we can then portion out into a sports bottle for 5 days. That is what you kids call a ‘no-brainer’ am I right?” she asked.
“As rain!” Matthew answered.
“Apple Juice is the cheapest juice usually.” Jane continued. “In the beginning I would suggest starting with that. Until you build up.”
“Since we are shopping for three weeks, I guess I should get two gallons.” Matthew said looking at his list. “Oh, you wrote one gallon and two cans. I thought you said the cans were too expensive?
“Not the twelve ounce cans sweetie. The concentrate cans. They are lighter and easier to store. They are also cheaper. When you use up the apple juice in the big bottle, you can use the bottle as your pitcher to hold the juice you are making.” She replied.
“But I really don’t think I will go through a gallon a week by myself.” Matthew replied.
“We are going to try to stretch your budget to cover two months if we can. The news last night said that New York was nearing bankruptcy, and that all state assistance was in jeopardy. The federal budgets in the same place, which is not good. 14% of people nationwide are on Food Stamps and here in NY it is closer to 15%. Food stamps come out of the federal budget, while programs like WIC and other food and cash assistance is state. If the state has to drop it’s programs- I don’t think the federal government can pick them up. At least not easily. I heard on the radio that over 50% of Americans get food assistance of some sort. While I don’t know where they are getting the numbers, I do not find it hard to believe. And since you are my new friend. And I have offered to help you figure it out, I think that you should make one month buy enough for two until you have a little safety cushion. Say three months, in reserve. You can do that in three months, and then start worrying a little less. At least I will worry less.” Here she laughed. “I hope I didn’t worry you about your food stamps. I’m just being a worry wart now.” She said
“Well, it’s beginning to be a common thread in my life, so I think it’s a great idea. If I had more storage space, I would try to do it every month regardless.” Matthew said, and then he told Jane about the interview with Dr. Cummings.
The two of them shook their heads at the state of affairs, and began to move on.
When they reached the coffee section, Jane turned and asked, “Do you drink coffee?”
“I do! And I have been worried. Coffee is expensive.” Matthew checked the list she had written. “Ahh, you have it on the list-Thank Goodness!”
She laughed. “Life has to have enjoyments as well as necessities Matthew!” She said. “Most people buy one of the name brand ready grounds. Do you have a brand?”
“Not per se. I usually just buy whatever, the blue jar or the red one usually.” He replied.
“Coffee is coffee to you huh? OK, I’m going to wreck that for you. For some reason whole coffee beans are usually more expensive than pre ground. I do not know why this is, as there is a step removed for the manufacturer. But there it is. However, you can usually buy the store brand whole bean for around the same as pre-ground name brand coffee. Or you can get the two-pound bags of some name brand whole beans such as 8 O’clock for the same price as pre-ground. There is a hands down win in flavor for whole bean coffee. I suggest you try it.” She told him.
“I guess I can see how that would be, but I do not have a grinder.” He told her.
“If you have a blender, you have a coffee grinder. A pretty good one. If you have a rolling pin, you have a coffee grinder. A mediocre one, but you have one. Just put the beans in a zip-lock bag between two towels. The size of the grind will be random, but it works. A bottle works the same way. And if you have a mortar and pestle available, you can have espresso right quick.” She replied.
“I do have a blender, lets try the whole bean.” He said.
“Another good money saving tip for coffee is too just making as much as you will drink. Many people make a pot of coffee everyday, and then throw away half a pot the next morning. They put those little cup marks on your coffee maker for a reason. If you consistently do this, you are just tossing money into the Hudson.” She said.
“Your right, I always make a full pot. I suppose I should just start making a cup or two and making more if I want it.” He said sheepishly.
They reached the end of the aisle and he did a quick calculation. “I don’t know if I am going to have enough.” He said. “We have barely scratched the list, and the money is going quick.”
“We will be fine,” She said. “Drinks and meats are the most expensive. Except for cleaning products. Let’s do that next and get it out of the way. Let’s start with paper products. What paper products do you typically use?”
“Paper towels, Paper Plates, Napkins, and of course Toilet paper.” Was his answer.
“Great, let’s hit the paper aisle. Are any of those products covered by your food stamps?” she asked.
“No, only food items are.” He replied.
“Good!” she said.
“Why is that good?” He asked perplexed.
“Because we are going to cure you of some wasteful habits right away without you being able to rely on food stamps to keep them going if you get lazy.” She said.
“Oh really?” Matthew said sardonically. “Like what for instance?”
“Let’s start with paper plates. Are you on a picnic? Why do you not use regular plates and wash them?” she asked.
“No reason, just convenience.” He answered. “I got into the habit in college. I had four roommates and the only way to get clean dishes was to have a stash of paper plates. After my divorce, I just fell back into it.”
“Time to fall out.” She said smiling. “Paper plates have a place in your house, in case the water goes off. You’re having a party, or you are invited on a picnic or road trip. That’s it.”
“You are right.” Matthew said guiltily. “That is a simple way to save money I do not have. Thank you.”
“Don’t thank me yet. You are not going to like this next cut I am going to make.” She smiled.
“Not toilet paper!” he said, “That’s going to far!”
She laughed, “No- not toilet paper. Although during the depression many families had to. I remember when most family bathrooms had hooks on the wall for each member. On those hooks was a “wipe cloth” for each individual family member. After you used them, you rinsed them in the sink, and hung them back on your hook. You didn’t want to make a mistake and use someone else’s rag! Toilet paper was for guests only”
“Eww!” said a women walking by, and they both laughed.
“I’m talking about paper towels.” She said. Most of us use a lot more paper towels than we should.” She walked right past the paper towels to a section of the aisle given over to brooms, mops, and plungers. “Ahh here we are.” She picked up two packages and handed them to Matthew. “Here are your paper towels for the year. And both packages together cost less than one eight pack of paper towels.” He looked at them.
They were 20 packs of terry cloth rags.
“I have no qualms about switching,” Matthew said, “But isn’t doing the laundry for all of these rags going to be just as expensive?
“We will get to that directly.” She said.
The two friends walked back down to where they had left the carts. Matthew tossed the rags in and Jane tossed a single roll of low priced paper towels in after it.
“Hey I thought we weren’t getting any of these?” Matthew asked.
“Well sometimes you do just need paper towels, especially if you have pets or children. But even for single men, sometimes a mess shows up that you need a paper towel for. As well as other needs that a paper towel fills. From a filter to a note pad! But, one roll should last you a very long time now.” She said.
“Right. So now we need toilet paper.” He said. He reached for the cheapest single ply store brand he could find. She stopped him.
“Sometimes the cheapest isn’t the cheapest.” She said in a horrible Chinese accent, trying to look inscrutable.
“What are you talking about?” asked Matthew. “These are at least 20% cheaper than the name brands.
“Well, for a while the environmental movement was making a big noise about soft TP. Some were even saying it was worse than driving a hummer. So the US armed forces did a study. It turns out the greens were wrong. Even though it uses more materials to make soft paper. It works better, so you use less. In some cases a lot less. So it makes it cheaper. The study also suggested it would reduce sickness as well, by providing better hygiene. In typical fashion however, it still has not made it to the troops.” She paused, “The conversations we are having today!”
“Well I can’t say I am not glad… About the TP AND the conversations.” He replied. They both laughed and headed into the cleaning aisle.
When they reached the cleaning products aisle, Jane asked Matthew to run down the aisle and collect what he needed in cleaning products and bring them back to her. She instructed him not to look at prices, and to just get what he would get if money were no object.
Matthew headed down the aisle and came back with an armful of products. Glass cleaner, toilet cleaner, shower cleaner, Kitchen spray, degreaser, disinfectant, furniture polish, laundry detergent, dish detergent, fabric softener, bleach, color bleach, laundry pre treat. Spray starch, and a bar of soap.
“Land sakes Matthew!” Jane said. “All that!” She looked at the pile he made on top of a display of sponges in the middle of the aisle. “Spray starch! Really? Do you really use it?” she asked gently prodding him.
“Well, I am hoping to go on some interviews!” Matthew said defensively.
“OK, I won’t kid you. Good for you. I’m proud of you if you want to know the truth. I am going to run around the store for a minute, you wait here and tally up what all this gear costs, and I will be back in a minute. OK?” Without waiting for a reply, she disappeared around the corner. By the time Matthew had finished adding up everything, she had not returned, so he perused the items in the aisle as he waited. He was amazed at the final tally of his products. It would have cleaned him out.
When she returned she had one of the stores plastic shopping baskets over her arm. Inside were a few products. She walked up the cleaning aisle, adding three more. Then she returned and asked for his tally. Matthew sheepishly told her and she whistled.
“How much of that is covered by foodstamps?” she asked.
“ummm, None actually.” Matthew answered.
She showed him her basket. In it was:
Baking soda, a lemon, a box of cornstarch, a bottle of peroxide, a bottle of alcohol, a bottle of white vinegar, a box of borax, a box of washing soda, a small bottle of canola oil, and a bottle of liquid castile soap.
“These 11 items will replace all 17 of the ones you have out. They also will replace your bathroom soap, toothpaste, deodorant, and skin lotion among other things. And by my way of thinking, more than half should be covered by foodstamps. This amount should also last months for most of this stuff.” She said with a smile. “but even if foodstamps didn’t cover it. It all together costs less than your box of laundry detergent and softener”
“I’m sure that’s true…” Matthew said. “ But I’m not a chemist. And I don’t know how to use this stuff for cleaning. At least not most of it.”
“I come prepared Matthew.” She said reaching into her purse and handing him a couple of pages. “I printed these off the internet. And if you have any questions, you can also ask me.
Matthew took a quick look at the pages:
Baking Soda - cleans, deodorizes, softens water, scours.
Castile Soap - unscented soap in liquid form, pure soap, a drop or two is all thats needed.
Canola Oil – Base for drawing out lemon oil from skin of lemon (do not use white of skin! Only zest.
Lemon - one of the strongest food-acids, effective against most household bacteria, smells wonderful.
Borax - (sodium borate) cleans, deodorizes, disinfects, softens water, cleans wallpaper, painted walls and floors.
White Vinegar - cuts grease, removes mildew, odors, some stains and wax build-up. (Caution on glass: dilute to at least 5% or may etch glass NEVER USE ON MIRRORS, MAY EAT SILVERING FROM EDGED INWARD
Washing Soda - or SAL Soda is sodium carbonate decahydrate,. Washing soda cuts grease, removes stains, softens water, cleans wall, tiles, sinks and tubs. Use care, as washing soda can irritate mucous membranes. Do not use on aluminum.
Isopropyl Alcohol - is an excellent disinfectant. (It has been suggested to replace this with ethanol or 100 proof alcohol in solution with water. There is some indication that isopropyl alcohol buildup contributes to illness in the body. See http://drclark.ch/g)
Cornstarch - can be used to clean windows, polish furniture, shampoo carpets and rugs.
Hydrogen Peroxide – disinfects, bleaches, removes mold.
All-Purpose Cleaner: Mix 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup baking soda (or 2 teaspoons borax) into 1/2 gallon (2 liters) water. Store and keep. Use for removal of water deposit stains on shower stall panels, bathroom chrome fixtures, windows, bathroom mirrors, etc.
Bathroom mold: Mold in bathroom tile grout is a common problem and can be a health concern. Mix one part hydrogen peroxide (3%) with two parts water in a spray bottle and spray on areas with mold. Wait at least one hour before rinsing or using shower.
Many recipes and info or at:
http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm (definitely check out this page-Mac)
Another page showed him how to use vinegar as fabric softener
A series of pages illustrated the “No Poo” movement of people who were using baking soda as shampoo.
There was even a series on dental care using peroxide, salt, and baking soda.
Matthew was stunned. His cleaning and toiletries purchases would have been over 60 dollars. Using these other products it was under 10, and foodstamps would cover half of them. He felt as if he had been lied to and stolen from for years.
(Ed Note.
There are a lot of pages and information that I would give, but that would ruin the flow of the story. Please do some research on the following:
No Poo
Home made cleaning products (or natural cleaning products)
Home made toiletries ( or natural toiletries)
Also cleaning with each of the ingredients she mentioned.
If you are making your own lemon oil, use canola for cleaning but never use canola for internal use. Canola oil is a poison, made from a poisonous plant. Part of being a prepper is prepping your body. What you put into it is as important as physical training.
Do not let your children use Borax in projects it is a naturally mineral that happens to be poisonous! It is a wonderful product used and stored correctly and not dangerous. But do your own research!
End of soapbox! )
The
next aisle the pair tackled was the canned goods. Michael figured on
two cans of fruits and vegetables a day for 7 weeks and came up with 49
cans.
In the back of the store was the dented can bins, and Michael picked through them. Then he went into the regular canned aisle and rounded out his purchases. Altogether he picked up 55 cans for a price of around 30 dollars. At Jane’s urging he also added a few cans of tuna, chicken, and turkey. Although he didn’t eat canned meat often, he thought she made a good point about the price, and the convenience of having a few cans. If the power went out he would also have the ability to make a sandwich at least.
Jane also made him read the label on the cans before choosing a brand. She told him never to get anything with MSG (Monosodium Glutamate).
“Why?” asked Matthew, curious as to why she was so adamant.
“I used to use the salt substitute “Accent” because I was worried about my blood pressure.” She started, “I did not know at the time that most salt substitutes and spice blends have MSG added to them. Accent is almost completely MSG. I began having headaches and I went to my doctor. He had no clue as to what could be causing it. The headaches worsened as time went on. Then I was getting Chinese food with a friend and she ordered hers with no MSG. I had never heard that so as we were eating I asked her about it. She was a hospital nutritionist so I was curious. ‘MSG is an excito-toxin.’ She explained to me, ‘it breaks the blood brain barrier and allows any toxins in your body into your brain. It also creates damage to your stomach lining. Restaurants and food makers add it to the food because it excites your brain. Making you feel as if you are enjoying the food more. Therefore you ascribe the feeling to the restaurant or dish. You eat more, you eat faster, and you get hungry again sooner. It is the source of the old saw about eating Chinese and being hungry an hour later. Also since it is a salt, it makes you thirsty and you will drink more – more profit. It is incredibly bad for you. It diminishes digestion and has been linked to ADD, obesity, and Parkinson’s disease among other things. People who eat a lot of it can develop actual lesions on the brain.’ She told me. I was shocked. I could not believe all the damage this product could do, and that it was in our food. ‘That is not all,’ she went on ‘they hide it under a lot of different names. Like modified food starch for instance and many others. So you have to be vigilant.’ I told her that I didn’t think I got headaches from Chinese food and she laughed and said ‘Almost everyone is allergic to MSG, but we build up a tolerance to the feeling. The chemical is still doing the damage, but we don’t feel it. Here is an experiment everyone should try. Go one month consciously trying to not eat MSG. You can even do a web search on other names MSG is hidden under. Then after a month, when your body is cleaned out of it, eat something with MSG, and see how you feel within minutes.’ We finished our meal and then when I got home I did some research and I tried the experiment.”
“Really? I never heard of such a thing!” Matthew exclaimed.
“Really!” Jane answered. “I had gone about a month and truthfully I think it was a little less. My granddaughter was over and she had a bag of beef jerky. I was teasing her about it. I asked her for the bag to read the ingredients, and saw that it had MSG. I have since found out that most commercial jerky does. Well let me tell you Matthew, I had one small piece and within fifteen minutes my head was aching. I normally would not have put my headache down to my diet, I would have just said to myself ‘oh I am getting a head ache’ but since I had been MSG free, it was the first headache I had endured for a while. I also had a stomachache soon after. I would have normally put that down to eating the jerky on an empty stomach. I now know better. Since I have been MSG free for a few years now, I can normally taste MSG in a dish, and avoid it. And nearly always when I get a headache, I can trace it back to the MSG I missed in something.”
“Wow, I am going to definitely avoid that stuff!’ Matthew said. “What else should I be paying attention too on labels?”
“Well, my rule of thumb is to not get any products that have chemicals added to them. If the ingredients aren’t all food products that I could buy easily, I do not get the products. Whatchmacallit dioxide and di sodium whoozit aren’t helping me that is for sure. And the other big thing to avoid is any artificial sweeteners.” She said emphatically.
“Like diet soda?” asked Matthew.
“Just like diet soda!” she answered. “Sucralose was invented as ant poison for crying out loud. And Nutrasweet or aspartame or acesulfamane or whatever you want to call it has been linked to Alzheimer’s, Gulf War Syndrome, and again Parkinson’s disease. It also causes obesity which is a dirty trick to play on people who are using it trying to loose weight.”
“Gulf War Syndrome! Now you are pulling my leg!” Matthew said.
“Well I wish I was, Nutra-Sweet turns to Formaldehyde at 86° Fahrenheit. Our boys were being served drinks that had been stored in tents outside in temperatures over 100°. Not to mention that your body is over 86° anyway. Gulf War Syndrome is awfully close in symptoms to formaldehyde poisoning.” She shook her head in disgust. “Half of all law suits against the FDA are over nutra sweet. It is epidemic.”
“But we have to eat something. If it is in everything, what do we have to do? Eat organic? Become a vegetarian? Those aren’t easy things to do.” Matthew said. “Besides you have to die of something, right.”
“Well it’s true, you have to die of something. But do you want to have a good quality of life while you’re alive? Avoiding a few things like artificial sweeteners and MSG is not really all that hard. And unless you want to get into the medical treadmill when you’re my age, it’s well worth it. The only pill I take is a multi vitamin. And I am not a burden on my family. Until my Medicare kicked in at 65, I had no insurance and didn’t need it. Diet and exercise are lifestyle choices to lower your need for doctors. It is easy, and so much nicer. You can eat organic if you want, or become a vegetarian as you say. But I don’t always eat organic, and I am not a vegetarian. I just do the easy and obvious steps. It is enough.” She smiled, and put her hand on Matthews shoulder. “It is your decision Matthew. But I recommend you try. You will find it is really pretty easy, and you don’t have to give anything up, or buy special diet products. East what you want, just read the label.”
“OK, Ok!” he mocked growled at her. “I will give it a try.” And they moved on to the meat aisle
In the back of the store was the dented can bins, and Michael picked through them. Then he went into the regular canned aisle and rounded out his purchases. Altogether he picked up 55 cans for a price of around 30 dollars. At Jane’s urging he also added a few cans of tuna, chicken, and turkey. Although he didn’t eat canned meat often, he thought she made a good point about the price, and the convenience of having a few cans. If the power went out he would also have the ability to make a sandwich at least.
Jane also made him read the label on the cans before choosing a brand. She told him never to get anything with MSG (Monosodium Glutamate).
“Why?” asked Matthew, curious as to why she was so adamant.
“I used to use the salt substitute “Accent” because I was worried about my blood pressure.” She started, “I did not know at the time that most salt substitutes and spice blends have MSG added to them. Accent is almost completely MSG. I began having headaches and I went to my doctor. He had no clue as to what could be causing it. The headaches worsened as time went on. Then I was getting Chinese food with a friend and she ordered hers with no MSG. I had never heard that so as we were eating I asked her about it. She was a hospital nutritionist so I was curious. ‘MSG is an excito-toxin.’ She explained to me, ‘it breaks the blood brain barrier and allows any toxins in your body into your brain. It also creates damage to your stomach lining. Restaurants and food makers add it to the food because it excites your brain. Making you feel as if you are enjoying the food more. Therefore you ascribe the feeling to the restaurant or dish. You eat more, you eat faster, and you get hungry again sooner. It is the source of the old saw about eating Chinese and being hungry an hour later. Also since it is a salt, it makes you thirsty and you will drink more – more profit. It is incredibly bad for you. It diminishes digestion and has been linked to ADD, obesity, and Parkinson’s disease among other things. People who eat a lot of it can develop actual lesions on the brain.’ She told me. I was shocked. I could not believe all the damage this product could do, and that it was in our food. ‘That is not all,’ she went on ‘they hide it under a lot of different names. Like modified food starch for instance and many others. So you have to be vigilant.’ I told her that I didn’t think I got headaches from Chinese food and she laughed and said ‘Almost everyone is allergic to MSG, but we build up a tolerance to the feeling. The chemical is still doing the damage, but we don’t feel it. Here is an experiment everyone should try. Go one month consciously trying to not eat MSG. You can even do a web search on other names MSG is hidden under. Then after a month, when your body is cleaned out of it, eat something with MSG, and see how you feel within minutes.’ We finished our meal and then when I got home I did some research and I tried the experiment.”
“Really? I never heard of such a thing!” Matthew exclaimed.
“Really!” Jane answered. “I had gone about a month and truthfully I think it was a little less. My granddaughter was over and she had a bag of beef jerky. I was teasing her about it. I asked her for the bag to read the ingredients, and saw that it had MSG. I have since found out that most commercial jerky does. Well let me tell you Matthew, I had one small piece and within fifteen minutes my head was aching. I normally would not have put my headache down to my diet, I would have just said to myself ‘oh I am getting a head ache’ but since I had been MSG free, it was the first headache I had endured for a while. I also had a stomachache soon after. I would have normally put that down to eating the jerky on an empty stomach. I now know better. Since I have been MSG free for a few years now, I can normally taste MSG in a dish, and avoid it. And nearly always when I get a headache, I can trace it back to the MSG I missed in something.”
“Wow, I am going to definitely avoid that stuff!’ Matthew said. “What else should I be paying attention too on labels?”
“Well, my rule of thumb is to not get any products that have chemicals added to them. If the ingredients aren’t all food products that I could buy easily, I do not get the products. Whatchmacallit dioxide and di sodium whoozit aren’t helping me that is for sure. And the other big thing to avoid is any artificial sweeteners.” She said emphatically.
“Like diet soda?” asked Matthew.
“Just like diet soda!” she answered. “Sucralose was invented as ant poison for crying out loud. And Nutrasweet or aspartame or acesulfamane or whatever you want to call it has been linked to Alzheimer’s, Gulf War Syndrome, and again Parkinson’s disease. It also causes obesity which is a dirty trick to play on people who are using it trying to loose weight.”
“Gulf War Syndrome! Now you are pulling my leg!” Matthew said.
“Well I wish I was, Nutra-Sweet turns to Formaldehyde at 86° Fahrenheit. Our boys were being served drinks that had been stored in tents outside in temperatures over 100°. Not to mention that your body is over 86° anyway. Gulf War Syndrome is awfully close in symptoms to formaldehyde poisoning.” She shook her head in disgust. “Half of all law suits against the FDA are over nutra sweet. It is epidemic.”
“But we have to eat something. If it is in everything, what do we have to do? Eat organic? Become a vegetarian? Those aren’t easy things to do.” Matthew said. “Besides you have to die of something, right.”
“Well it’s true, you have to die of something. But do you want to have a good quality of life while you’re alive? Avoiding a few things like artificial sweeteners and MSG is not really all that hard. And unless you want to get into the medical treadmill when you’re my age, it’s well worth it. The only pill I take is a multi vitamin. And I am not a burden on my family. Until my Medicare kicked in at 65, I had no insurance and didn’t need it. Diet and exercise are lifestyle choices to lower your need for doctors. It is easy, and so much nicer. You can eat organic if you want, or become a vegetarian as you say. But I don’t always eat organic, and I am not a vegetarian. I just do the easy and obvious steps. It is enough.” She smiled, and put her hand on Matthews shoulder. “It is your decision Matthew. But I recommend you try. You will find it is really pretty easy, and you don’t have to give anything up, or buy special diet products. East what you want, just read the label.”
“OK, Ok!” he mocked growled at her. “I will give it a try.” And they moved on to the meat aisle
When they reached the meat aisle, Jane walked up to the window and said, “Can I get my bundle Dottie?”
“Sure thing Jane!” the women said, and walked into the back of the meat room.
“What is a bundle?” Matthew asked.
“Most grocery stores will sell you a bundle of meat at a great savings if you order it the week before and pay for it then. Since I am Jewish, and don’t eat pork or rabbit, I usually get chicken, beef, and turkey in my bundle, but occasionally there is something else- like duck.” Came her answer.
“Do you just order what you want?” Matthew asked.
“No, not at this store anyway. They know not to give me pork or rabbit. And there is always some ground beef. But other than that it is always a little different. I don’t know what cuts I am going to get exactly but I get 30lbs of meat for $65.00 and that is amazing at today’s prices. I get what ever they have a lot of. Its kind of fun actually, and since I only get meat once a month usually, I have plenty of time to plan meals.” She said. “But, since your recipe book is kind of sparse… I don’t think we will get you a bundle this month.”
“Ahh, so then what should I look for?” Matthew asked.
“Well let’s just walk down the aisle and I will give you some advice. Then you can make your own decisions.” She replied.
Without waiting for a reply, she walked over to the case and stopped by the chicken. “Chicken is usually cheapest by the pound when bought whole. Some parts, like the breasts are expensive and some like thighs are cheaper, but whenever you buy chicken cut up, it costs more. Even if it is just a whole chicken that has already been cut up. Look the whole chicken is under a dollar a pound, and the chicken breast is 7 dollars a pound. So you can get the two breasts on the whole chicken for less than the cost of the split breast in the package. Then you get the rest of the chicken for free. Isn’t it silly to spend 4 or 5 dollars for someone to spend a few minutes cutting your bird? You do have a knife right?” she asked.
“Sure do. Wow your right. I can get four split breasts for the price of three, and get two whole chickens worth of other parts for free.” He laughed. “But a whole chicken would feed me for a week.”
“Probably not a week,” she said. “But, definitely for a couple days. Chickens are not always this price. So when they are low like this, you should buy a few if you have freezer space. You can leave one whole in case of company, and cut the rest up and freeze in meal size containers.”
Matthew grabbed a couple of birds. They moved onto the turkey section of the case.
“Turkeys are great too. And even a small turkey will definitely give you a weeks worth of meals.” Jane explained. “But turkey can get old fast. So if you make one, you can carve it completely and make yourself small ‘TV dinner’ style meals that you freeze for when you don’t have time to cook. You can microwave them, or do what I do which is to wrap them in foil and heat them in the oven. You wrap the foil, then slide into a freezer bag, when you are ready to eat them, you can just pop them in your toaster oven or regular oven. Things just taste better that way, and it only adds five minutes.”
Matthew agreed with her. Microwave food tasted like microwaved food.
“Turkey sausage is great too.” She continued. “My friends tell me turkey sausage is better than pork sausage, but turkey bacon shouldn’t be called bacon.”
Matthew grinned and said. “If you do not think of turkey bacon as bacon it isn’t bad. But I am not a big bacon eater anyway.”
“Well a package of turkey bacon is around $3.00.” She said. “And that will make you four meals of Paycheck.”
“What the heck is Paycheck?” Matthew asked.
“It’s a depression era meal, you take a quarter pound of turkey bacon, slice it into little slivers. Cook it in a skillet with a diced onion, diced potato, and some slivered cabbage. And you have to get the potato pieces small so they are done at the same time. Add an egg or two to bind it and you have a skillet full of food for around a dollar. And it’s good too. Everybody loves it.” She smiled at his expression. “What is it?” she asked.
“Cabbage and eggs?” He asked. “And is that a breakfast or dinner?” he waited and then added, “It sounds greasy…”
Jane laughed. “Cabbage is not only the cheapest vegetable, it is one of the best for you. And it features heavily in depression era cooking along with bacon and potatoes because of both of those reasons. I guess it might be greasy with pork bacon, but with turkey bacon I usually add a little olive oil while cooking it. And, while I usually use it as a breakfast, it makes a lot food. I usually get at least a lunch out of it too, sometimes more.”
“Well you haven’t steered me wrong yet.” Matthew said. “I will try it.”
“These sausages are very versatile as well.” She said. “ I always get the Italian style over the breakfast style. You get more for your money and I like them better. Besides their use as a side for your eggs at breakfast. They are good with pasta and marinara, or my favorite, sliced into coins and sautéed with mushrooms, onion, and asparagus in olive oil, and served over Ziti or Penne. That is a cheap, quick way to entertain and people always ask for the recipe. Asparagus is expensive for a vegetable, but much this dish is cheaper than getting an expensive meat for company. You can also slice the sausage while still frozen, and feed unexpected company in half an hour. You can also replace the asparagus with broccoli”
“Now that sounds good!” Matthew said with a smile. “I’m getting hungry.”
Jane laughed and said, “we are almost done. Don’t forget the Parmesan or Romano if your making sausage and asparagus. Another good quick meal with sausage is with bread. Add a bell pepper and an onion and you can have sausage and pepper heroes. Or with cheese and Marinara and you have a sausage parm.”
“Are you sure you’re not Italian?” asked Matthew with a wink.
Jane actually giggled and said, “Nope, but those are all New York foods as much as they are Italian.”
“Can I ask you a personal question?” Matthew asked.
“Within reason…” Jane said warily.
“Well, you said you were Jewish, and you don’t eat pork. Yet you spoke about putting cheese on meat dishes. I thought that was not kosher.” He said shyly.
“That is a good question.” She said. “I am a reformed Jew. My rabbi believes the command that is taken as not mixing meat and dairy is actually talking about a specific pagan dish sacrificed to a pagan god where a baby goat was boiled in the milk of it’s own mother. We keep clean and unclean meats, but none of the hedge laws at our synagogue.”
“What are hedge laws?” Matthew asked.
“Long story. Suffice it to say that they are extra bits of rules added to biblical laws to be certain that the commands aren’t accidentally broken. An extra layer or “hedge”. If you have a lot of questions you could speak to my rabbi.” She said.
“Just curious. I never really thought about their being a lot of different Jewish denominations.” He replied.
“Oh yes, just like other faiths.” She answered. “Some Chasidics do not consider reformed Jews Jewish.” She smiled.
And they moved onto the chop meat.
“Sure thing Jane!” the women said, and walked into the back of the meat room.
“What is a bundle?” Matthew asked.
“Most grocery stores will sell you a bundle of meat at a great savings if you order it the week before and pay for it then. Since I am Jewish, and don’t eat pork or rabbit, I usually get chicken, beef, and turkey in my bundle, but occasionally there is something else- like duck.” Came her answer.
“Do you just order what you want?” Matthew asked.
“No, not at this store anyway. They know not to give me pork or rabbit. And there is always some ground beef. But other than that it is always a little different. I don’t know what cuts I am going to get exactly but I get 30lbs of meat for $65.00 and that is amazing at today’s prices. I get what ever they have a lot of. Its kind of fun actually, and since I only get meat once a month usually, I have plenty of time to plan meals.” She said. “But, since your recipe book is kind of sparse… I don’t think we will get you a bundle this month.”
“Ahh, so then what should I look for?” Matthew asked.
“Well let’s just walk down the aisle and I will give you some advice. Then you can make your own decisions.” She replied.
Without waiting for a reply, she walked over to the case and stopped by the chicken. “Chicken is usually cheapest by the pound when bought whole. Some parts, like the breasts are expensive and some like thighs are cheaper, but whenever you buy chicken cut up, it costs more. Even if it is just a whole chicken that has already been cut up. Look the whole chicken is under a dollar a pound, and the chicken breast is 7 dollars a pound. So you can get the two breasts on the whole chicken for less than the cost of the split breast in the package. Then you get the rest of the chicken for free. Isn’t it silly to spend 4 or 5 dollars for someone to spend a few minutes cutting your bird? You do have a knife right?” she asked.
“Sure do. Wow your right. I can get four split breasts for the price of three, and get two whole chickens worth of other parts for free.” He laughed. “But a whole chicken would feed me for a week.”
“Probably not a week,” she said. “But, definitely for a couple days. Chickens are not always this price. So when they are low like this, you should buy a few if you have freezer space. You can leave one whole in case of company, and cut the rest up and freeze in meal size containers.”
Matthew grabbed a couple of birds. They moved onto the turkey section of the case.
“Turkeys are great too. And even a small turkey will definitely give you a weeks worth of meals.” Jane explained. “But turkey can get old fast. So if you make one, you can carve it completely and make yourself small ‘TV dinner’ style meals that you freeze for when you don’t have time to cook. You can microwave them, or do what I do which is to wrap them in foil and heat them in the oven. You wrap the foil, then slide into a freezer bag, when you are ready to eat them, you can just pop them in your toaster oven or regular oven. Things just taste better that way, and it only adds five minutes.”
Matthew agreed with her. Microwave food tasted like microwaved food.
“Turkey sausage is great too.” She continued. “My friends tell me turkey sausage is better than pork sausage, but turkey bacon shouldn’t be called bacon.”
Matthew grinned and said. “If you do not think of turkey bacon as bacon it isn’t bad. But I am not a big bacon eater anyway.”
“Well a package of turkey bacon is around $3.00.” She said. “And that will make you four meals of Paycheck.”
“What the heck is Paycheck?” Matthew asked.
“It’s a depression era meal, you take a quarter pound of turkey bacon, slice it into little slivers. Cook it in a skillet with a diced onion, diced potato, and some slivered cabbage. And you have to get the potato pieces small so they are done at the same time. Add an egg or two to bind it and you have a skillet full of food for around a dollar. And it’s good too. Everybody loves it.” She smiled at his expression. “What is it?” she asked.
“Cabbage and eggs?” He asked. “And is that a breakfast or dinner?” he waited and then added, “It sounds greasy…”
Jane laughed. “Cabbage is not only the cheapest vegetable, it is one of the best for you. And it features heavily in depression era cooking along with bacon and potatoes because of both of those reasons. I guess it might be greasy with pork bacon, but with turkey bacon I usually add a little olive oil while cooking it. And, while I usually use it as a breakfast, it makes a lot food. I usually get at least a lunch out of it too, sometimes more.”
“Well you haven’t steered me wrong yet.” Matthew said. “I will try it.”
“These sausages are very versatile as well.” She said. “ I always get the Italian style over the breakfast style. You get more for your money and I like them better. Besides their use as a side for your eggs at breakfast. They are good with pasta and marinara, or my favorite, sliced into coins and sautéed with mushrooms, onion, and asparagus in olive oil, and served over Ziti or Penne. That is a cheap, quick way to entertain and people always ask for the recipe. Asparagus is expensive for a vegetable, but much this dish is cheaper than getting an expensive meat for company. You can also slice the sausage while still frozen, and feed unexpected company in half an hour. You can also replace the asparagus with broccoli”
“Now that sounds good!” Matthew said with a smile. “I’m getting hungry.”
Jane laughed and said, “we are almost done. Don’t forget the Parmesan or Romano if your making sausage and asparagus. Another good quick meal with sausage is with bread. Add a bell pepper and an onion and you can have sausage and pepper heroes. Or with cheese and Marinara and you have a sausage parm.”
“Are you sure you’re not Italian?” asked Matthew with a wink.
Jane actually giggled and said, “Nope, but those are all New York foods as much as they are Italian.”
“Can I ask you a personal question?” Matthew asked.
“Within reason…” Jane said warily.
“Well, you said you were Jewish, and you don’t eat pork. Yet you spoke about putting cheese on meat dishes. I thought that was not kosher.” He said shyly.
“That is a good question.” She said. “I am a reformed Jew. My rabbi believes the command that is taken as not mixing meat and dairy is actually talking about a specific pagan dish sacrificed to a pagan god where a baby goat was boiled in the milk of it’s own mother. We keep clean and unclean meats, but none of the hedge laws at our synagogue.”
“What are hedge laws?” Matthew asked.
“Long story. Suffice it to say that they are extra bits of rules added to biblical laws to be certain that the commands aren’t accidentally broken. An extra layer or “hedge”. If you have a lot of questions you could speak to my rabbi.” She said.
“Just curious. I never really thought about their being a lot of different Jewish denominations.” He replied.
“Oh yes, just like other faiths.” She answered. “Some Chasidics do not consider reformed Jews Jewish.” She smiled.
And they moved onto the chop meat.
Matthew
had noted previously the different packages of chopped meat available,
and had been surprised at how many different varieties there seemed to
be. He said as much to Jane.
“Well, there are differences and then there are differences,” Jane said. “This section here has chopped turkey, which is cheaper than beef, but does not work as well as beef for most recipes calling for chopped meat. It makes great sausage or Asian food however. I don’t really use it because I am just not fond of it. The chopped chicken is good. But is usually much more expensive than beef. I get it if it is on sale sometimes. “
“What is this package with three different kinds of meat?” Matthew asked.
“Meatball mix. It has chopped pork, beef, and veal. I don’t eat pork and am not a big fan of veal for ethical reasons, so I never get that. Next to it is Bison. Low in fat, but expensive usually. Another item I only get on sale. The secret to Bison is that it needs to be rare or medium rare or it tastes too dry. Sometimes this store has venison, it’s the same thing- rare is the key. Store venison is usually farm raised red deer – European deer. Not the American whitetail. It is a different taste altogether than wild venison. Much like wild turkey and farm turkey, completely different tastes.”
“Makes sense, I don’t need anything exotic though. What’s with all these percentages on these packages?” Matthew asked pointing to a section of beef that went from 75% to 95% in 5 % increments.
“It all looks the same but there is a big price difference.”
“The percentage is how much meat to how much fat. The percentage represents the meat, or the “lean” as it’s called. So the 75% is 25% fat and tallow. The tallow is used as a binder so patties and meatballs hold the shape you intend for them.”
“So I should probably get the leanest, because even though it is the most expensive, I get mostly meat- and it is better for me right?” Matthew asked.
“Well lean meat is better for you, that’s true- cheaper usually not. You have to do the math, but usually the heavier fat content is MUCH cheaper than buying lean. I guess since they have much less trimming to do. Or the perception of being healthier is something people pay more for. The truth is, the heavier fat content is usually what I buy, because even with the lean beef, I have to drain it anyway. Why not drain a little more, and save a buck or two? Right?” She asked with a smile. “You just have to do the math when you’re buying. “
“Seems as if that is the common thread with shopping.” Matthew said.
“It is.” She replied. “Do you have enough meat for the month now?”
“Yes, except for some lunch meat for sandwiches. I guess we should head over for the deli department.” Matthew said.
“Not so fast, what kind of lunch meat do you get?” She asked.
“Usually just roast beef and turkey.” He answered.
“Well then let’s do a quick experiment. I will wait here, run over to the deli and check the price per pound for both of those meats and then come back here.” She instructed.
Matthew walked over to the deli and came back with the price per pound of the two meats. She then walked over to the Roasts section of the meat department. She held up a roast to Matthew pointing at the price per pound. “What’s the difference?” she asked him.
“Wow! It costs less than half as much? Is it the same thing?” He asked.
“Well yes and no. Someone has already cooked the roast beef in the deli, and then they slice it for you. Other than the convenience factor they are the same. You do have an oven and a knife? Right?” She asked teasingly.
“Point made wise guy!” He mock growled. “I guess I can assume the turkey is the same?”
“Finally!” she exclaimed.
“Finally I got it huh?” Matthew asked.
“No! Finally one of your assumptions is right!’ She said with a twinkle in her eye.
“Oh brother!” Matthew said heading off into the dairy aisle.
“Well, there are differences and then there are differences,” Jane said. “This section here has chopped turkey, which is cheaper than beef, but does not work as well as beef for most recipes calling for chopped meat. It makes great sausage or Asian food however. I don’t really use it because I am just not fond of it. The chopped chicken is good. But is usually much more expensive than beef. I get it if it is on sale sometimes. “
“What is this package with three different kinds of meat?” Matthew asked.
“Meatball mix. It has chopped pork, beef, and veal. I don’t eat pork and am not a big fan of veal for ethical reasons, so I never get that. Next to it is Bison. Low in fat, but expensive usually. Another item I only get on sale. The secret to Bison is that it needs to be rare or medium rare or it tastes too dry. Sometimes this store has venison, it’s the same thing- rare is the key. Store venison is usually farm raised red deer – European deer. Not the American whitetail. It is a different taste altogether than wild venison. Much like wild turkey and farm turkey, completely different tastes.”
“Makes sense, I don’t need anything exotic though. What’s with all these percentages on these packages?” Matthew asked pointing to a section of beef that went from 75% to 95% in 5 % increments.
“It all looks the same but there is a big price difference.”
“The percentage is how much meat to how much fat. The percentage represents the meat, or the “lean” as it’s called. So the 75% is 25% fat and tallow. The tallow is used as a binder so patties and meatballs hold the shape you intend for them.”
“So I should probably get the leanest, because even though it is the most expensive, I get mostly meat- and it is better for me right?” Matthew asked.
“Well lean meat is better for you, that’s true- cheaper usually not. You have to do the math, but usually the heavier fat content is MUCH cheaper than buying lean. I guess since they have much less trimming to do. Or the perception of being healthier is something people pay more for. The truth is, the heavier fat content is usually what I buy, because even with the lean beef, I have to drain it anyway. Why not drain a little more, and save a buck or two? Right?” She asked with a smile. “You just have to do the math when you’re buying. “
“Seems as if that is the common thread with shopping.” Matthew said.
“It is.” She replied. “Do you have enough meat for the month now?”
“Yes, except for some lunch meat for sandwiches. I guess we should head over for the deli department.” Matthew said.
“Not so fast, what kind of lunch meat do you get?” She asked.
“Usually just roast beef and turkey.” He answered.
“Well then let’s do a quick experiment. I will wait here, run over to the deli and check the price per pound for both of those meats and then come back here.” She instructed.
Matthew walked over to the deli and came back with the price per pound of the two meats. She then walked over to the Roasts section of the meat department. She held up a roast to Matthew pointing at the price per pound. “What’s the difference?” she asked him.
“Wow! It costs less than half as much? Is it the same thing?” He asked.
“Well yes and no. Someone has already cooked the roast beef in the deli, and then they slice it for you. Other than the convenience factor they are the same. You do have an oven and a knife? Right?” She asked teasingly.
“Point made wise guy!” He mock growled. “I guess I can assume the turkey is the same?”
“Finally!” she exclaimed.
“Finally I got it huh?” Matthew asked.
“No! Finally one of your assumptions is right!’ She said with a twinkle in her eye.
“Oh brother!” Matthew said heading off into the dairy aisle.
In
the dairy aisle, Matthew grabbed a two pounds of butter and a brick of
cheese and looked up at Jane, waiting for her to comment. She did not
disappoint. She asked if he needed eggs, then smiled. “you are waiting
for me to tell you that you did something wrong aren’t you?” she asked.
“Well, Kinda.” He admitted.
“Well I prefer butter over margarine too. You got the generic kind. And, it’s the same thing with the cheese that you chose. You did fine. If you drank milk, I would have suggested that you try dry milk, or blending the dry and fresh. But all in all, I think you did well. You need anything else? Because I am done.” She said.
“I’m through. This is the most groceries I have had in a long time.” Matthew answered.
They went through the checkout. Matthew used all his food stamp money and had to kick in twelve dollars for the overage and the things not covered. He was not too worried though as he was working now, and since he had a bus pass and food, he felt he was covered for the week or so until he was paid.
The two friends said goodbye at the door, and made plans to meet for lunch in the park a few days in the future.
“Well, Kinda.” He admitted.
“Well I prefer butter over margarine too. You got the generic kind. And, it’s the same thing with the cheese that you chose. You did fine. If you drank milk, I would have suggested that you try dry milk, or blending the dry and fresh. But all in all, I think you did well. You need anything else? Because I am done.” She said.
“I’m through. This is the most groceries I have had in a long time.” Matthew answered.
They went through the checkout. Matthew used all his food stamp money and had to kick in twelve dollars for the overage and the things not covered. He was not too worried though as he was working now, and since he had a bus pass and food, he felt he was covered for the week or so until he was paid.
The two friends said goodbye at the door, and made plans to meet for lunch in the park a few days in the future.
When Matthew got home and was putting away his food. He was amazed at the sense of peace that he got from seeing all the bags on his kitchen counter. He was actually disappointed when he put it away that there was still shelf room to fill. He felt as good or better as he had when he had left the studio the day Mark hired him.
Thinking of the studio, Matthew headed out to see if he could get some time in learning audio. When he reached the studio, He went looking for Mark to find the instructional materials.
“It’s about time you showed up!” Mark growled in his characteristic mock anger. “No time for learning, you are going on the clock as an audio guy right now!”
“But I have no clue about audio Mark!” he protested.
“Luc says you have done this before and were fine. All you have to do is hold a boom mike over your economist friend’s head for an hour. A monkey could handle it. Since I can’t find a monkey, you will have to do. Not another word! Head to Studio B and hook up with your partners in crime!” Mark’s tone was practically a yell at this point.
“On my way!” Matthew said nervously, headed down the hall for the studio that Mark had named.
When he reached studio B, he found John busily looking over notes, and looking flustered.
“What’s going on?” Matthew asked.
“Thank goodness you’re here!” John exclaimed. “We are giving a follow up interview with Dr. Cummings and it’s in like 5 minutes. Go hook up with Luc, and we will talk after.”
“On my way! Ummm, where is he?” Matthew returned.
“I’m right here! How was your date?” Luc said walking into the studio behind Matthew.
“My date?” Matthew said looking over at John, “Don’t believe everything that Walter Cronkite over there tells you. I went grocery shopping with an elderly woman.”
“Cougars! I would never have guessed you dog!’ Luc returned and both he and John burst into laughter. Finally Matthew joined them and said, ‘Ok Ok, I guess that is funny, but this woman is like a mom to me, lay off.”
“Sorry!” Luc said. “I don’t want to upset you, just joshing. John told me that she was your fairy godmother.”
“That’s actually not a bad way to describe her.” Matthew said.
“Hello Gentlemen! We meet again.” Dr. Cummings said walking into the studio with a smile. “Thank you for agreeing to do it.”
“No Problem Dr. Thank You!” John returned shaking his hand.
“Thank you for requesting us from the station.” Luc said.
“No problem, no problem. I liked the footage you sent out.” Dr. Cummings said.
“To be perfectly honest, we didn’t edit it- they did. We just sent them raw tape.” Luc replied candidly.
“Whatever works. They are the ones paying both of us. If they are happy, who are we to complain.” The Doctor laughed.
Luc got both John and Dr. Cummings settled and lit, and gave Matthew his instructions. And then indicated he was ready to begin by saying “Speed!” the video version of film’s “Action” and the session began.
“Dr.
Cummings, how have you been?” John began. The two men bantered back and
forth for a few minutes so the remote editing team would have whatever
they needed as a lead in to suit their format.
Then the actual questioning started. John began with, “Dr. Cummings, the last time we spoke you seemed sure that our economy was in dire straights. Could you elaborate more on that? What signs are showing you that we may be reaching the tipping point?”
Dr. Cummings answered with, ” Well, let me just give you a quick laundry list of easily verifiable facts. Anyone with an internet connections could check the veracity of these very easily.'
‘First the official US unemployment rate has not been below 9% since April of 2009- and as I mentioned last time we spoke- The real unemployment rate is much higher. The blue collar numbers alone are stunning. 19.5% of Americas blue collar workers are unemployed or underemployed. Compare that to 2000 where the number was only 7.2%’
‘We have lost 10% of our middle class jobs in that same period of time. We reported 72 million middle class jobs in 2000 today there are only 65 million middle class jobs- but our population is rising so this number is compounded.’
‘In fact! The US now employs about the same number of people in manufacturing as we did in 1940- when we had only 132 million people living here- as opposed to today’s 300 million. More than twice as many people.’
‘We continue to bleed jobs with no end in sight. In 1998 25% of the worlds Hi-Tech export was the US’s compared to China’s 10%. Within ten years we had dropped to less than 15% while China had grown to 20%- It has been a shift that has not stopped, or even slowed down.’
‘These job numbers are really bad in certain areas. For instance in El Centro, CA 24.3% of the population are officially unemployed.”
“Dr. Cummings, What do you mean when you say officially unemployed? Is there an unofficial unemployed?” John queried.
“In a word- Yes.” Dr Cummings replied. “ in the beginning of 2007, there were about a million Americans which had been unemployed for 6 months or longer. Today- about four years later- we are looking at 6 million. But that is not the horrible side. There are actually many millions of people who have stopped even looking for jobs, and that no longer are collecting unemployment- even though congress has extended it beyond all precedent. They no longer qualify. They have been looking for work literally for years. Some people are putting the US unemployment rate closer to 18%, and they are making good points.”
“What about the Housing market? Are we seeing better news there?" Asked John.
“The last Census gave us lots of useful numbers- such as the 6.3 million homes for sale or rent in the US- that is by far the record by the way.’
‘CoreLogic came out with numbers showing housing prices have declined for the last three months in a row. That is a full quarter! This is at the same time the average 30-year fixed rate mortgage rates jumped 11 basis points in one week. And if that wasn’t enough o scare off US homebuyers, the banks are now talking about requiring a 30% down across the board, regardless of credit history. With 22.5% of all US residential mortgages underwater, which simply means negative equity, at the end of the third quarter; who can blame them. The banks figure that they would be breaking even right now if they had required this from day one.’
‘Meanwhile our property values are still shrinking in many places in the US. The average home price has dropped 63% in four years in Merced, CA. Los Vegas and Detroit are not far behind.”
“Isn’t the new government going to fix all of this?” Asked John.
“It would be nice to think so, but it is a bit of a Gordian knot. On a state level, New York and California may just be out of luck. In California Jerry Brown has to find 29 billion more to cut from the state budget for this year alone. The key word there is MORE, they have already been cutting.’
‘Detroit mayor Dave Bing has come up with some austerity measures to try and stop the hemorrhages there. He wants to cut 20% of the city of Detroit off from all social services. Including road repairs, street lights, garbage collection, and police patrols. It’s no wonder houses in Detroit sold on ebay for $10.00 this last year.’
‘Camden New Jersey, which happens to be the second most dangerous city in the US, is laying off about half of it’s police in a desperate attempt to stay afloat.’
‘All over the States, the local governments State and Town, have begun “police response fees” For example here in NY, the mayor is pushing a fee of $365.00 if police are called to an accident with no injuries. If injuries are present, fuel spills, or the “Jaws of life” are employed the fees will be much higher on an ala' carte system. They also will be sending out “Organ rescue” Ambulances to accident scenes. I guess in case you can’t afford the rescue fee.”
“That’s disturbing!” John replied. “But what about the Federal government. I was alluding to the new congress.”
“Well, they certainly have their work cut out for them.” Dr. Cummings replied. “ The US is going to have figure out a way to roll over existing debt, while financing new debt equivalent to 27.8% of GDP in 2011.’
The US government budget deficit increased to $150.4 billion last month. $150.4 billion missing dollars we need to find or borrow to close our budget. This is the largest November deficit ever. Bear in mind that if you were to count a dollar bill every second without rest it would take around 33 years to reach a billion. For our November deficit in 2010, our counter would have to count for 4965 odd years, a dollar bill every second, without stopping to reach OUR DEFICIT FOR NOVEMBER 2010. It would be about 500 years if he counted hundred dollar bills’
‘I heard some numbers on the radio on the way here. I haven’t had time to vet them. But I do believe them to be accurate.’
‘It took from 1776, when the United States became an independent country, until 1990, the year after the Berlin Wall fell signaling victory in the Cold War, for the federal government to accumulate a total of $3 trillion in debt.’
‘According to the Treasury Department. It only took from Jan. 20, 2009, the day President Barack Obama was inaugurated, until Oct. 15, 2010, for US administration to add $3 trillion to the federal debt. Don’t get me wrong, this is not Obama’s debt. It is CONGRESS who approved it. Whoever wanted it.’
“What about the rest of the world?” John inquired
‘China is slowly buying us, along with as much of the rest of the world it can. The Chinese government has gathered approximately $2.65 trillion in total foreign exchange reserves alone. They have drained this wealth from the economies of other nations. Not just the US, we are just the biggest players. In fact, the projections are theat the US trade deficit with China will hit 270 billion dollars by the end of 2010.’
‘Instead of reinvesting this money, China is just sitting on it. This is one of the biggest imbalances in our global economy.’
“Why are there so many conflicting opinions by the pundits if all of this is easily verifiable?” John asked.
“Look, everyone has their own ideas, agendas, soap boxes, politics, causes, and passions. I can’t begin to tell you why some people pull out statistics and say we have a solid recovery and some people say our future is bleak, but I will give you a few trends that you should watch, so you can decide for yourself what is going on.’
‘Quanitive easing – Be afraid! This is typically playing with fire. The US money base has more than doubled since the beginning of the recession. And Treasury yields have been rising steadily during the 4th quarter of 2010. Since the only way for America to print money, is to borrow it from the FED, it starts getting scarier.’
Then the actual questioning started. John began with, “Dr. Cummings, the last time we spoke you seemed sure that our economy was in dire straights. Could you elaborate more on that? What signs are showing you that we may be reaching the tipping point?”
Dr. Cummings answered with, ” Well, let me just give you a quick laundry list of easily verifiable facts. Anyone with an internet connections could check the veracity of these very easily.'
‘First the official US unemployment rate has not been below 9% since April of 2009- and as I mentioned last time we spoke- The real unemployment rate is much higher. The blue collar numbers alone are stunning. 19.5% of Americas blue collar workers are unemployed or underemployed. Compare that to 2000 where the number was only 7.2%’
‘We have lost 10% of our middle class jobs in that same period of time. We reported 72 million middle class jobs in 2000 today there are only 65 million middle class jobs- but our population is rising so this number is compounded.’
‘In fact! The US now employs about the same number of people in manufacturing as we did in 1940- when we had only 132 million people living here- as opposed to today’s 300 million. More than twice as many people.’
‘We continue to bleed jobs with no end in sight. In 1998 25% of the worlds Hi-Tech export was the US’s compared to China’s 10%. Within ten years we had dropped to less than 15% while China had grown to 20%- It has been a shift that has not stopped, or even slowed down.’
‘These job numbers are really bad in certain areas. For instance in El Centro, CA 24.3% of the population are officially unemployed.”
“Dr. Cummings, What do you mean when you say officially unemployed? Is there an unofficial unemployed?” John queried.
“In a word- Yes.” Dr Cummings replied. “ in the beginning of 2007, there were about a million Americans which had been unemployed for 6 months or longer. Today- about four years later- we are looking at 6 million. But that is not the horrible side. There are actually many millions of people who have stopped even looking for jobs, and that no longer are collecting unemployment- even though congress has extended it beyond all precedent. They no longer qualify. They have been looking for work literally for years. Some people are putting the US unemployment rate closer to 18%, and they are making good points.”
“What about the Housing market? Are we seeing better news there?" Asked John.
“The last Census gave us lots of useful numbers- such as the 6.3 million homes for sale or rent in the US- that is by far the record by the way.’
‘CoreLogic came out with numbers showing housing prices have declined for the last three months in a row. That is a full quarter! This is at the same time the average 30-year fixed rate mortgage rates jumped 11 basis points in one week. And if that wasn’t enough o scare off US homebuyers, the banks are now talking about requiring a 30% down across the board, regardless of credit history. With 22.5% of all US residential mortgages underwater, which simply means negative equity, at the end of the third quarter; who can blame them. The banks figure that they would be breaking even right now if they had required this from day one.’
‘Meanwhile our property values are still shrinking in many places in the US. The average home price has dropped 63% in four years in Merced, CA. Los Vegas and Detroit are not far behind.”
“Isn’t the new government going to fix all of this?” Asked John.
“It would be nice to think so, but it is a bit of a Gordian knot. On a state level, New York and California may just be out of luck. In California Jerry Brown has to find 29 billion more to cut from the state budget for this year alone. The key word there is MORE, they have already been cutting.’
‘Detroit mayor Dave Bing has come up with some austerity measures to try and stop the hemorrhages there. He wants to cut 20% of the city of Detroit off from all social services. Including road repairs, street lights, garbage collection, and police patrols. It’s no wonder houses in Detroit sold on ebay for $10.00 this last year.’
‘Camden New Jersey, which happens to be the second most dangerous city in the US, is laying off about half of it’s police in a desperate attempt to stay afloat.’
‘All over the States, the local governments State and Town, have begun “police response fees” For example here in NY, the mayor is pushing a fee of $365.00 if police are called to an accident with no injuries. If injuries are present, fuel spills, or the “Jaws of life” are employed the fees will be much higher on an ala' carte system. They also will be sending out “Organ rescue” Ambulances to accident scenes. I guess in case you can’t afford the rescue fee.”
“That’s disturbing!” John replied. “But what about the Federal government. I was alluding to the new congress.”
“Well, they certainly have their work cut out for them.” Dr. Cummings replied. “ The US is going to have figure out a way to roll over existing debt, while financing new debt equivalent to 27.8% of GDP in 2011.’
The US government budget deficit increased to $150.4 billion last month. $150.4 billion missing dollars we need to find or borrow to close our budget. This is the largest November deficit ever. Bear in mind that if you were to count a dollar bill every second without rest it would take around 33 years to reach a billion. For our November deficit in 2010, our counter would have to count for 4965 odd years, a dollar bill every second, without stopping to reach OUR DEFICIT FOR NOVEMBER 2010. It would be about 500 years if he counted hundred dollar bills’
‘I heard some numbers on the radio on the way here. I haven’t had time to vet them. But I do believe them to be accurate.’
‘It took from 1776, when the United States became an independent country, until 1990, the year after the Berlin Wall fell signaling victory in the Cold War, for the federal government to accumulate a total of $3 trillion in debt.’
‘According to the Treasury Department. It only took from Jan. 20, 2009, the day President Barack Obama was inaugurated, until Oct. 15, 2010, for US administration to add $3 trillion to the federal debt. Don’t get me wrong, this is not Obama’s debt. It is CONGRESS who approved it. Whoever wanted it.’
“What about the rest of the world?” John inquired
‘China is slowly buying us, along with as much of the rest of the world it can. The Chinese government has gathered approximately $2.65 trillion in total foreign exchange reserves alone. They have drained this wealth from the economies of other nations. Not just the US, we are just the biggest players. In fact, the projections are theat the US trade deficit with China will hit 270 billion dollars by the end of 2010.’
‘Instead of reinvesting this money, China is just sitting on it. This is one of the biggest imbalances in our global economy.’
“Why are there so many conflicting opinions by the pundits if all of this is easily verifiable?” John asked.
“Look, everyone has their own ideas, agendas, soap boxes, politics, causes, and passions. I can’t begin to tell you why some people pull out statistics and say we have a solid recovery and some people say our future is bleak, but I will give you a few trends that you should watch, so you can decide for yourself what is going on.’
‘Quanitive easing – Be afraid! This is typically playing with fire. The US money base has more than doubled since the beginning of the recession. And Treasury yields have been rising steadily during the 4th quarter of 2010. Since the only way for America to print money, is to borrow it from the FED, it starts getting scarier.’
Dr. Cummings handed a cardboard mounted chart from his briefcase over to John who held it up.
“What are we looking at here?” Asked John.
“This is something that scares me.” The doctor replied. “And this is the first trend to keep your eye on. Just check out this chart from the Federal Reserve. Since the beginning of the economic downturn, as I said before, the U.S. monetary base has more than doubled.’
'But we are told not to worry – Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke has promised us that this could never cause inflation. In fact, Bernanke says that we need to inject even more dollars into the economy. Of course if this is so, it is contrary to anytime governments have done so in the past. Weimar republic, Zimbabwe, etcetera.'
'So, our Fed experts say if you are alarmed by this chart, you are just being irrational. Do I strike you as irrational John?”
“No Doctor Cummings, although I wish I could say you were.” John replied honestly.
“Me too, me too.” The doctor replied shaking his head. “The next trend to watch involves China. In 1985 The US trade deficit was a then scary $6 million for the year. In 2010 the month of August’s trade deficit with China was over $28 BILLION dollars- for the month.’
‘Nobel economist Robert Fogel from the University of Chicago projected that the Chinese economy will be three times larger than the US economy by 2040 if this trend continues. So what we as Americans NEED to see happen this year is a slow down in Chinese trade deficits. '
'We need to buy American, and so do other countries. Especially China. Historically mismatched economies have led to war many more times than not. And not all wars are fought on battlefields. This one is being fought in banks.’
‘The next trend that we as informed citizens need to watch is job creation in manufacturing. In 1959 28% of the US economic output was manufacturing. Today we are around 11.5% and falling. '
'We are becoming a deindustrialized nation. At the end of 2009 less than 12 million Americans were working in manufacturing. The last time that the manufacturing employment numbers were that low it was 1941.’
‘We need to fix unemployment across the board- we need to have a middle class- these are key trends.'
'In fact as of 2009’s survey 61% of Americans were living Paycheck to paycheck with no reserve. That was up from 49% in 2008 and 43% in 2007. I am not looking forward to 2010’s numbers.’
‘Which of course leads us to the poverty trend. 43 million Americans are on the food stamp program. And according to USA Today, one in six Americans is now enrolled in at least one anti-poverty program run by the federal government. With 21% of children in the US living below the poverty line. This trend will end our country, or our way of life in short order.’
‘Government spending, National Debt, Social Security, it goes on and on.”
“I don’t know what to say.” John stated. “What should we as average Americans do.”
“Pray and prepare at the risk of sounding trite.” Was the doctors reply.
“Well Praying we know how to do, but what can we do to prepare for a major economic worldwide meltdown?” John asked.
“What are we looking at here?” Asked John.
“This is something that scares me.” The doctor replied. “And this is the first trend to keep your eye on. Just check out this chart from the Federal Reserve. Since the beginning of the economic downturn, as I said before, the U.S. monetary base has more than doubled.’
'But we are told not to worry – Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke has promised us that this could never cause inflation. In fact, Bernanke says that we need to inject even more dollars into the economy. Of course if this is so, it is contrary to anytime governments have done so in the past. Weimar republic, Zimbabwe, etcetera.'
'So, our Fed experts say if you are alarmed by this chart, you are just being irrational. Do I strike you as irrational John?”
“No Doctor Cummings, although I wish I could say you were.” John replied honestly.
“Me too, me too.” The doctor replied shaking his head. “The next trend to watch involves China. In 1985 The US trade deficit was a then scary $6 million for the year. In 2010 the month of August’s trade deficit with China was over $28 BILLION dollars- for the month.’
‘Nobel economist Robert Fogel from the University of Chicago projected that the Chinese economy will be three times larger than the US economy by 2040 if this trend continues. So what we as Americans NEED to see happen this year is a slow down in Chinese trade deficits. '
'We need to buy American, and so do other countries. Especially China. Historically mismatched economies have led to war many more times than not. And not all wars are fought on battlefields. This one is being fought in banks.’
‘The next trend that we as informed citizens need to watch is job creation in manufacturing. In 1959 28% of the US economic output was manufacturing. Today we are around 11.5% and falling. '
'We are becoming a deindustrialized nation. At the end of 2009 less than 12 million Americans were working in manufacturing. The last time that the manufacturing employment numbers were that low it was 1941.’
‘We need to fix unemployment across the board- we need to have a middle class- these are key trends.'
'In fact as of 2009’s survey 61% of Americans were living Paycheck to paycheck with no reserve. That was up from 49% in 2008 and 43% in 2007. I am not looking forward to 2010’s numbers.’
‘Which of course leads us to the poverty trend. 43 million Americans are on the food stamp program. And according to USA Today, one in six Americans is now enrolled in at least one anti-poverty program run by the federal government. With 21% of children in the US living below the poverty line. This trend will end our country, or our way of life in short order.’
‘Government spending, National Debt, Social Security, it goes on and on.”
“I don’t know what to say.” John stated. “What should we as average Americans do.”
“Pray and prepare at the risk of sounding trite.” Was the doctors reply.
“Well Praying we know how to do, but what can we do to prepare for a major economic worldwide meltdown?” John asked.
“Well John, I don’t know if I believe you are right about everybody
knowing how to pray, but we will leave that alone. As for preparation, I
think that is dependent on where and how you live. It’s a broad scope
thing.” Answered the doctor.
“Well, let me see if I can simplify. What would someone living in New York state have to do to see themselves through to the end of this depression, retraction, recession or whatever description you wish to hang on it?” John returned.
“Well, I guess it would depend on where you lived in New York state. We forget living in the city that New York is mainly a rural state. If I was an Amish farmer living upstate, I would do little or nothing. Perhaps I would take cash out of the bank, and convert it to precious metals… or stock more consumables such as lantern mantles. If I were an average Joe living on Long Island, I would pay off all non reoccurring bills ASAP. But first I would make sure that my really important bills were not in danger.” The doctor answered.
“Well since the Amish farmers aren’t watching this presumably, lets skip to our average Joe on Long Island. What are non reoccurring bills? And what are you calling important bills?” John asked
“Non reoccurring bills are things like credit cards. Things that are one-time bills. Credit cards are your enemy in this economy as much as if they were carrying knives. Important bills are things like your mortgage or car payment. They come every month, and you need what they represent. Utilities are important too.” The doctor explained.
“Could you perhaps lay out a quick plan for an average middle class family to get themselves protected?” John asked.
“Protected is a slippery word, but here is my advice for families that have an income. Firstly stop using your credit cards. Period. Second, pay the minimum payment on all your credit cards but one. Pay everything you can on that one until it is gone. Then put all the money you can on your next card and continue at this pace until they are gone.” The doctor started.
John interrupted,” Doctor, How do we pick the order of the cards? Does it even matter?”
“Yes, it can matter John, and that’s a good question. I would pay off my unsecured debt from lowest to highest amount owed. That way you will finish quicker because as you eliminate one debt, you have more money to throw at the higher one, and it will cost you less in interest as well. I would add the caveat that if you have one card with a much much higher interest rate, and you can’t transfer the debt to your other cards, paying that one first might be called for. You have to do the math and see if it’s cost effective.” The doctor said.
“Thank you for the clarification, please continue.” John said.
“Your welcome. Now let’s look at cars. I am torn on how to speak to this. For the average Joe again. If you have two cars in your family, and need them. Pay them off the same way. Double up one payment, or triple it if you can afford to. When that is paid in full- switch to the next one. And again- start with the one you owe the least on. If you do not need two vehicles- why are you paying on two vehicles? Sell one- and put the profit on the other. Or buy a used second car with the profit. Two car payments in today’s marketplace is scary. If you buy new cars- pay cash. Even 0% financing costs you more in the long run.” The doctor smiled. “And now I will prove that I am an economist and not an accountant. Pay your mortgage off as quickly as you can. Double and triple your payments whenever possible!”
“But I thought mortgages were the holy grail of write-offs, is this not true?” asked John perplexed.
“That is true, if you are in a very high tax bracket. But the truth is for the very largest percentage of people with mortgages, the money they loose in interest and fees, added to what they loose by having so much less a month to invest in other things, most mortgages do not in anyway save the homeowners in the long run. The vast majority loose big. Get rid of your mortgages as soon as you can. The accountants are simply wrong. Do the math yourself. It is not hard.” The doctor finished.
“Well, let me see if I can simplify. What would someone living in New York state have to do to see themselves through to the end of this depression, retraction, recession or whatever description you wish to hang on it?” John returned.
“Well, I guess it would depend on where you lived in New York state. We forget living in the city that New York is mainly a rural state. If I was an Amish farmer living upstate, I would do little or nothing. Perhaps I would take cash out of the bank, and convert it to precious metals… or stock more consumables such as lantern mantles. If I were an average Joe living on Long Island, I would pay off all non reoccurring bills ASAP. But first I would make sure that my really important bills were not in danger.” The doctor answered.
“Well since the Amish farmers aren’t watching this presumably, lets skip to our average Joe on Long Island. What are non reoccurring bills? And what are you calling important bills?” John asked
“Non reoccurring bills are things like credit cards. Things that are one-time bills. Credit cards are your enemy in this economy as much as if they were carrying knives. Important bills are things like your mortgage or car payment. They come every month, and you need what they represent. Utilities are important too.” The doctor explained.
“Could you perhaps lay out a quick plan for an average middle class family to get themselves protected?” John asked.
“Protected is a slippery word, but here is my advice for families that have an income. Firstly stop using your credit cards. Period. Second, pay the minimum payment on all your credit cards but one. Pay everything you can on that one until it is gone. Then put all the money you can on your next card and continue at this pace until they are gone.” The doctor started.
John interrupted,” Doctor, How do we pick the order of the cards? Does it even matter?”
“Yes, it can matter John, and that’s a good question. I would pay off my unsecured debt from lowest to highest amount owed. That way you will finish quicker because as you eliminate one debt, you have more money to throw at the higher one, and it will cost you less in interest as well. I would add the caveat that if you have one card with a much much higher interest rate, and you can’t transfer the debt to your other cards, paying that one first might be called for. You have to do the math and see if it’s cost effective.” The doctor said.
“Thank you for the clarification, please continue.” John said.
“Your welcome. Now let’s look at cars. I am torn on how to speak to this. For the average Joe again. If you have two cars in your family, and need them. Pay them off the same way. Double up one payment, or triple it if you can afford to. When that is paid in full- switch to the next one. And again- start with the one you owe the least on. If you do not need two vehicles- why are you paying on two vehicles? Sell one- and put the profit on the other. Or buy a used second car with the profit. Two car payments in today’s marketplace is scary. If you buy new cars- pay cash. Even 0% financing costs you more in the long run.” The doctor smiled. “And now I will prove that I am an economist and not an accountant. Pay your mortgage off as quickly as you can. Double and triple your payments whenever possible!”
“But I thought mortgages were the holy grail of write-offs, is this not true?” asked John perplexed.
“That is true, if you are in a very high tax bracket. But the truth is for the very largest percentage of people with mortgages, the money they loose in interest and fees, added to what they loose by having so much less a month to invest in other things, most mortgages do not in anyway save the homeowners in the long run. The vast majority loose big. Get rid of your mortgages as soon as you can. The accountants are simply wrong. Do the math yourself. It is not hard.” The doctor finished.
“Then why would accountants all tell us to get mortgages for the write
off? Is it a conspiracy theory?” John asked with a twinkle in his eye.
The doctor laughed “Goodness no. It’s how they are trained. They are micro finance- one budget line, be it a person or corporation, split into multiple budgets. They are looking for deductions that appear large. I am an economist. I look at how money works for x or against x. X can be a person, family, company, country, or whatever. I look at the macro view. How it all works together. Nothing sinister, just different points of view. It is up to the individual to choose his best course based on all the options.”
“I think I see where you are coming from.” John said. “My father says that if you ask a carpenter to build you a house, he will make it from wood. Ask a mason and he will build it from stone. And if you ask a welder, it will be made of steel. “
“Exactly right!” The doctor laughed. “And you would want your house built of each of those for different styles, budgets, or environments. The individual must make the final decision. In the bible’s book of proverbs it says:
‘For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counselors [there is] safety.’
This is as good advice today as when Solomon wrote it. Whether you are talking sports, finance, or your hobby. The key is getting good advice, and then picking and choosing yourself- based on the information you are given.”
“I can see your point!” John said “I tend to go with the flow. I rarely go contrary to accepted norms in things like finance.”
“You certainly aren’t the only one. Most people just sort of ‘go with the flow’ as you put it. That includes elected officials who are spending our money. And the majority of the population doesn’t even seem to notice until there is a problem. There is a saying ‘Great minds think alike’ I think we should instead say ‘Great minds think for themselves’ That doesn’t mean we should be cantankerous and go against every opinion to be different. It means we should make the best possible decisions we can for ourselves.” The doctor replied.
“What sort of things are we talking about?” asked John.
“Well anything really, but lets keep it about money as I am an economist after all. Let’s take another hypothetical family in NY. Times get tough. They decide they are going to drop their cable to basic to save some money. Dropping all the pay channels they get themselves down to around $50 here in the city. Maybe $30 other places in NY, I am not sure. Times get tougher.. The family believes it has to decide between TV (which they are convinced they need) and something else. They do not even look for another option. These are the accepted norms, and they go unchallenged.” The doctor said.
“Are there other options?” John asked. “I can’t think of any myself.”
“Several options come to mind off the top of my head.” The doctor said. First, usually hi-speed internet is available cheaper than video programming. Much TV and movies are available that way. If that doesn’t work, you can hearken back to the early days of cable TV itself. When little communities like Southampton, NY wanted TV, but no signal was near. A group of farmers and fishermen formed a co-op and bought a satellite system together. They then ran cables to each of the houses and formed one of the first cable companies in the world. Farmers and fishermen are used to figuring out how to make do. It’s a good lesson. This would work in an apartment building I think without a problem, a hotel has more rooms. But personally I would switch to satellite if I were leading our tight family.”
“Satellite is around the same as cable, you wouldn’t save very much.” John replied.
“Well if your talking Dish Network style Satellite you’re right. But I was talking FTA satellite. A complete system with DVR is around $200.00. That’s it- no subscription fees. EVER!“ The doctor chuckled. “A technological step back, a financial step forward and I wouldn't even miss Oprah.”
The doctor laughed “Goodness no. It’s how they are trained. They are micro finance- one budget line, be it a person or corporation, split into multiple budgets. They are looking for deductions that appear large. I am an economist. I look at how money works for x or against x. X can be a person, family, company, country, or whatever. I look at the macro view. How it all works together. Nothing sinister, just different points of view. It is up to the individual to choose his best course based on all the options.”
“I think I see where you are coming from.” John said. “My father says that if you ask a carpenter to build you a house, he will make it from wood. Ask a mason and he will build it from stone. And if you ask a welder, it will be made of steel. “
“Exactly right!” The doctor laughed. “And you would want your house built of each of those for different styles, budgets, or environments. The individual must make the final decision. In the bible’s book of proverbs it says:
‘For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counselors [there is] safety.’
This is as good advice today as when Solomon wrote it. Whether you are talking sports, finance, or your hobby. The key is getting good advice, and then picking and choosing yourself- based on the information you are given.”
“I can see your point!” John said “I tend to go with the flow. I rarely go contrary to accepted norms in things like finance.”
“You certainly aren’t the only one. Most people just sort of ‘go with the flow’ as you put it. That includes elected officials who are spending our money. And the majority of the population doesn’t even seem to notice until there is a problem. There is a saying ‘Great minds think alike’ I think we should instead say ‘Great minds think for themselves’ That doesn’t mean we should be cantankerous and go against every opinion to be different. It means we should make the best possible decisions we can for ourselves.” The doctor replied.
“What sort of things are we talking about?” asked John.
“Well anything really, but lets keep it about money as I am an economist after all. Let’s take another hypothetical family in NY. Times get tough. They decide they are going to drop their cable to basic to save some money. Dropping all the pay channels they get themselves down to around $50 here in the city. Maybe $30 other places in NY, I am not sure. Times get tougher.. The family believes it has to decide between TV (which they are convinced they need) and something else. They do not even look for another option. These are the accepted norms, and they go unchallenged.” The doctor said.
“Are there other options?” John asked. “I can’t think of any myself.”
“Several options come to mind off the top of my head.” The doctor said. First, usually hi-speed internet is available cheaper than video programming. Much TV and movies are available that way. If that doesn’t work, you can hearken back to the early days of cable TV itself. When little communities like Southampton, NY wanted TV, but no signal was near. A group of farmers and fishermen formed a co-op and bought a satellite system together. They then ran cables to each of the houses and formed one of the first cable companies in the world. Farmers and fishermen are used to figuring out how to make do. It’s a good lesson. This would work in an apartment building I think without a problem, a hotel has more rooms. But personally I would switch to satellite if I were leading our tight family.”
“Satellite is around the same as cable, you wouldn’t save very much.” John replied.
“Well if your talking Dish Network style Satellite you’re right. But I was talking FTA satellite. A complete system with DVR is around $200.00. That’s it- no subscription fees. EVER!“ The doctor chuckled. “A technological step back, a financial step forward and I wouldn't even miss Oprah.”
“No, they would have a substantially different line up. They would loose local news most places as well, unless there were a local station broadcast. But they would also gain dozens of other channels, and several independent stations in the US broadcast. There are also movie stations for free- older movies – not HBO. HBO and it’s ilk are available for a fee. Also you have to rotate your dish to get complete coverage- but these are electric now, and are done from inside your house.” The doctor replied.
“Most Americans want the convenience and channel line up of regular cable.” John observed.
“Then they can have it. For the $30-50 a month.” The doctor smiled and added. “Till they can’t afford anything anymore. At the cost of something else. I personally have both. I like the fta stations from overseas, and I get a much broader prospective on world news. Like I said- in this market it is all about personal decisions. There are other families out there who will jump on FTA cable just to have anything. And they may have to save a few months to get that.”
“I see your point. How can you find out what channels are available FTA to make a decision?” John wondered.
“A simple web search for FTA programming or channel line up for North America should take care of that for most viewers.” The Doctor answered. “ But your missing the point. To prepare for economic downturn, an individual needs to look at his income, reoccurring bills, and services with a hard eye. And make decisions as to priority. Finding alternatives is just a part of that. One shouldn’t go without completely to roll with the crowd above their current means.”
“After all, I suppose recessions aren’t forever usually.” John stated.
“Well, in most cases you are right. But a societies last depression can last for hundreds and thousands of years. Mexico and Egypt are two examples of rich countries sliding into hundreds or thousands of lean years.” The doctor said. “ We also need to be looking towards our futures. Once we get our expenses in line. Different people will be willing to make different sacrifices. But living above your means is just a selfish decision today. In the near future, it may be more.”
“More how?” John asked.
“In some countries it has been a death sentence at times. With no reserve, and no state aid, people simply die in tough times all over the world. What makes us think we are any different here? The nanny state can’t last forever.” The doctor shook his head. “ It can’t last much longer at all.
“In my opinion, right now is not a good time to have debt. Of any kind. I would recommend reducing your expenses until your debt is paid, and you have some sort of reserve. Remember this reserve need not be cash in nature." The doctor replied.
“What other kinds of reserve could we have?” John inquired.
“Another good question. This answer also illustrates that it is about mindset not formula. You could have a reserve in precious metals, physical possession not paper certificate. People are loathe to take paper anything if we hit a crisis situation. Also I wold recommend not only gold, but silver. It is under priced right now but rising, and smaller denominations if possible. A one ounce gold coin is worth thousands now, but may be worth even more if the economy takes a big dive. If you have one gold coin, you may have to trade it for a single meal, gallon of water or fuel that you could have easily traded a single silver dime for. “ The doctor answered.
“I see.” said John.
“There are other reserves too. Remember business is also called “trade” for a reason. People are always willing to trade something of value for something of value. The trick is knowing what will be valuable when you need it.” The doctor continued. “This is what makes precious metals valuable. Other things can have the same intrinsic value to people as well. If you have them, can acquire them, or even make them - then you are rich.”
“What sort of things do you mean?” John asked.
“Well that is the hundred thousand dollar question isn’t it?” The doctor replied with a smile. “Again, it depends on the situation. That is why commodity brokers buy futures. They are betting on what will be valuable at different times in the future. A couple of things are always good bets however. I for one am a big fan of foodstuffs currently. More specifically non perishables.”
“Are you suggesting that it is a good idea to stock a large amount of food?” John asked. “Isn’t that hoarding?”
“It is no different than commodity brokers at all!” The doctor exclaimed. “And no one accuses them of hording. Buy cheap, sell high. Isn’t that the mantra. When there is a frost in Florida, and three quarters of the Oranges fail. No one accuses the commodities brokers of hoarding. They instead say, ‘Wow, smart of you to buy low, sell high! Attaboy.’” The doctor paused for a moment. “ I am not saying I support gouging. I instead support free market economies. People with forethought deserve to make a profit. That is capitalism. And if food doesn’t sell, you can always eat it.”
John looked slightly stunned at the things the doctor had said, finally he replied. “ But Doctor, are you saying that only those who prepared, or have the ability to trade, deserve to eat in a crisis? I don’t know what to say to that. It seems very mercenary.”
“Really? That is not exactly what I am saying, but let us pretend that
it is. And let us pretend that we have never heard anything about
redistribution of wealth on the one hand or the fable of the ants and
the grasshopper on the other. Let us just use pure reason spiced with
human emotion. Agreed?” The doctor began
John merely nodded.
“I will pose you a series of questions. I will not prompt answers. You answer using reason first, emotion second. I will warn you – these are hard questions. Are you ready to begin?” The doctor asked.
“I guess it is your turn to interview me. OK shoot.” John replied with a nervous look.
“OK let’s start off easy. You are an emergency services member called to a flash flood. A group of people has gathered in the rising water in a place to facilitate rescue. Another group has decided to see if they could swim in the tide for some reason. The water is rising very rapidly, and you will only be able to rescue one group. Which one do you pick.” The doctor asked.
“Part of me screams to get at least some of the swimmers. But I suppose you would save the group of people waiting rescue.” John answered.
“John, you are an Emergency worker. It is your duty and your job to rescue people. I asked which you would rescue. Not who you want to rescue, or who you think I think should be rescued. The water is rising man. What are we going to do.” The doctor prompted.
John set his jaw and answered “We save the group that is easy to save first. They are in danger and time is short, they thought about what they should do in the situation and they did it. Then we try and save as many of the others as possible.
“That wasn’t so hard was it? “ The doctor teased gently. “Now – same question. But, this time you know some people who are in the group of swimmers. Do you change your answer?”
More surely this time John replied. “No, I still save as many of them as I can, starting with to ones who made themselves ready.”
“Fair enough. “ was the reply. “OK now instead of knowing someone in the group of swimmers, one is your brother. Now what?”
John hesitated and then said “I hate this. My answer is the same. I feel almost as anxious thinking about it as if it were real.”
“The exercise can go a little further, but I feel as if we have gone far enough to illustrate my points for the audience. You have answered your own question. For yourself!” The doctor smiled wanly.
“I don’t see how you mean that. My original question was about food.” John said perplexedly.
“Well Food is a life saver too, isn’t it? Let me ask a couple of simpler questions. Can humans live without air?” The doctor asked.
“Of course not. Well, for minutes, but that is all.” John replied.
“Right, what about food? The doctor continued.
“A little longer, days or weeks.” John answered.
“But at the end of that time you are just as dead if you starve as if you had no air and drowned?” The doctor inquired.
“Of course!” John answered.
“OK.” The doctor went on. “So why did you save the group you did?”
“Was It the wrong group?” John asked concerned.
“I told you I wasn’t going to prompt answers. Just relax and tell me why you picked that group?” The doctor said soothingly.
“Because they were a sure bet. They had themselves in a place that facilitated their safe removal. They were prepared I guess. By getting them out first, I may have a chance at some of the swimmers. But if I try to save the swimmers, I may not be able so save anyone.” John answered. “Besides, why didn’t the swimmers just be logical?”
“I see.” said the doctor. “Even if the swimmers were family you stayed the course. Why?”
“Because I am emergency services. It is my job. If it wasn’t I would probably just save my family member first.” John answered truthfully.
“”So there you have it. You keep illustrating my point beautifully. Let me break it down for you. You say that food- or the lack thereof- will leave you just as dead as not breathing. Albeit at a different time period, and you said those that prepared deserved being saved first. Even over family. You also stated that you may look after your family first. Which is fine in your particular real life situation, because after all you are not in ES are you?” The doctor smiled. “Because if you were, if you saved some prepared people before you saved everyone simply because it was your job, a job you were payed for, that would be quite mercenary wouldn’t it.?”
“I see your point. People who save food deserve first crack at it in an emergency. But to trade it at an increased rate still seems wrong to me.” John replied.
“OK, what if your family has plenty of food. But it needs a couple of other things to survive. Would it be wrong to sell some of that precious food for the most that you could so that you could purchase the other things needed? Asked the doctor.
“I guess not. And point made.” Said John. “but could I give some of my stuff away? To my family?”
The doctor smiled and said “John, it is your food, you can do with it as you will. But make sure you have enough before you share. Sometimes life requires hard life and death decisions. And if you do not make them, life will do it for you." The doctor smiled “Would you like to hear another thing you must remember?
John merely nodded.
“I will pose you a series of questions. I will not prompt answers. You answer using reason first, emotion second. I will warn you – these are hard questions. Are you ready to begin?” The doctor asked.
“I guess it is your turn to interview me. OK shoot.” John replied with a nervous look.
“OK let’s start off easy. You are an emergency services member called to a flash flood. A group of people has gathered in the rising water in a place to facilitate rescue. Another group has decided to see if they could swim in the tide for some reason. The water is rising very rapidly, and you will only be able to rescue one group. Which one do you pick.” The doctor asked.
“Part of me screams to get at least some of the swimmers. But I suppose you would save the group of people waiting rescue.” John answered.
“John, you are an Emergency worker. It is your duty and your job to rescue people. I asked which you would rescue. Not who you want to rescue, or who you think I think should be rescued. The water is rising man. What are we going to do.” The doctor prompted.
John set his jaw and answered “We save the group that is easy to save first. They are in danger and time is short, they thought about what they should do in the situation and they did it. Then we try and save as many of the others as possible.
“That wasn’t so hard was it? “ The doctor teased gently. “Now – same question. But, this time you know some people who are in the group of swimmers. Do you change your answer?”
More surely this time John replied. “No, I still save as many of them as I can, starting with to ones who made themselves ready.”
“Fair enough. “ was the reply. “OK now instead of knowing someone in the group of swimmers, one is your brother. Now what?”
John hesitated and then said “I hate this. My answer is the same. I feel almost as anxious thinking about it as if it were real.”
“The exercise can go a little further, but I feel as if we have gone far enough to illustrate my points for the audience. You have answered your own question. For yourself!” The doctor smiled wanly.
“I don’t see how you mean that. My original question was about food.” John said perplexedly.
“Well Food is a life saver too, isn’t it? Let me ask a couple of simpler questions. Can humans live without air?” The doctor asked.
“Of course not. Well, for minutes, but that is all.” John replied.
“Right, what about food? The doctor continued.
“A little longer, days or weeks.” John answered.
“But at the end of that time you are just as dead if you starve as if you had no air and drowned?” The doctor inquired.
“Of course!” John answered.
“OK.” The doctor went on. “So why did you save the group you did?”
“Was It the wrong group?” John asked concerned.
“I told you I wasn’t going to prompt answers. Just relax and tell me why you picked that group?” The doctor said soothingly.
“Because they were a sure bet. They had themselves in a place that facilitated their safe removal. They were prepared I guess. By getting them out first, I may have a chance at some of the swimmers. But if I try to save the swimmers, I may not be able so save anyone.” John answered. “Besides, why didn’t the swimmers just be logical?”
“I see.” said the doctor. “Even if the swimmers were family you stayed the course. Why?”
“Because I am emergency services. It is my job. If it wasn’t I would probably just save my family member first.” John answered truthfully.
“”So there you have it. You keep illustrating my point beautifully. Let me break it down for you. You say that food- or the lack thereof- will leave you just as dead as not breathing. Albeit at a different time period, and you said those that prepared deserved being saved first. Even over family. You also stated that you may look after your family first. Which is fine in your particular real life situation, because after all you are not in ES are you?” The doctor smiled. “Because if you were, if you saved some prepared people before you saved everyone simply because it was your job, a job you were payed for, that would be quite mercenary wouldn’t it.?”
“I see your point. People who save food deserve first crack at it in an emergency. But to trade it at an increased rate still seems wrong to me.” John replied.
“OK, what if your family has plenty of food. But it needs a couple of other things to survive. Would it be wrong to sell some of that precious food for the most that you could so that you could purchase the other things needed? Asked the doctor.
“I guess not. And point made.” Said John. “but could I give some of my stuff away? To my family?”
The doctor smiled and said “John, it is your food, you can do with it as you will. But make sure you have enough before you share. Sometimes life requires hard life and death decisions. And if you do not make them, life will do it for you." The doctor smiled “Would you like to hear another thing you must remember?
sorry for the delay. And thank you for your interest. I should be back
to normal for a while. And here is a new installment to prove it.
-Mac
“I am a reporter, I want to hear EVERYTHING!” John said with a smile.
“OK, It’s just this. ‘Loose lips sink ships’.” The doctor replied. “Do you know what I mean by that?”
“I have heard the saying before, it’s a WWII saying. It refers to service men telling people; wives, girlfriends, buddies. Etc; things about their postings and missions that could be overheard or passed onto the enemy as operational intelligence. Right?” John answered. “But I am not sure how it applies here?”
“Let me pose you another question in illustration.” The doctor began. “If you had saved a briefcase full of money, would you tell everyone you know about it? Put it on your Facebook page? Tweet ‘Just counted it! X Bucks! WOOT!!’ Bring visitors to your home to see it under your bed?”
“Of course not!” John laughed.
“Why not?” asked the Doctor.
“First off it would be Tacky! Secondly, you never know about people. One might feel they needed it more than I do and break in and take it. I see where you are going with this. But we are talking about food not money.” John exclaimed.
“We are actually talking about things of value.” The doctor returned. “And I am proposing that food may be a thing of great value at a near future point. You can believe or disbelieve my proposal and act accordingly. When gold was at $400 an ounce I said on an interview show much like this one that people should buy gold. Some people believed me and bought gold. Some didn’t and even sent me email calling me an alarmist, a gold bug, and even worse things. Now we all know where gold has reached. I propose that food will have a meteoric rise soon. I also maintain that the beginnings of the rise have already begun. It is up to you to believe or disbelieve.”
“So you think that food prices will increase that much?” John asked.
“I do indeed. Which is why I suggest both passive and active protection for it, as well as your other valuables.” Came the doctor’s answer.
“Protection for food? What do you mean? Should we hire armed guards?” John asked tongue in cheek.
“If the situation warrants it. But at the point we are at now, simply being quiet about our stock should be enough. Soon however you may want a security system. Or even more.” The doctor said.
“Are you proposing we arm ourselves to protect our cornflakes Doctor?” asked John.
“I am an economist, not a security expert. If I was to suggest you invest in diamonds, and then said to protect them, you would not bat an eye. I am telling you that in the near future, very near future, food will be more valuable than diamonds. The proof is all there if you want to research it. And I for one believe you should. Great minds think for themselves! Remember. But this has to do with a lot more than food. It has to do with our entire global economy. Housing, Fuel, Food, Energy, and everything else will be effected. The world is one harvest away from starvation. And the people are living paycheck to paycheck globally. Austerity is leading to riots in Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, and Asia. Only a fool would believe that could never happen here. The largest union rally in history just happened in Wisconsin, and our nation is more polarized than ever over things like entitlement programs versus budget cutbacks. Even during the civil war, we had three camps of thought, union, confederate, and neutral. Today we are almost evenly split into two camps. That is a definite red flag.” The doctor returned passionately.
“Let’s move on to other things besides food, what other areas should we as New Yorkers, and Americans be worried about?” John inquired.
“We still haven’t settled the housing problem yet. Our taxation is out of control. Our energy markets are scarier than a horror movie. Which one do you want to talk about?” The doctor asked.
“Housing is something we are all aware of. What is your advice for people who want to own a home, and can’t get a mortgage. Or can get one but are afraid of a mortgage in this economy.” John asked.
“I would tell them not to get a mortgage. I don’t blame them for being nervous. I would never get a mortgage right now. The market is too volatile.” The doctor said.
“So my generation should give up on home ownership?” asked John.
“Of course not!” the doctor exclaimed. “Have you forgotten the lesson of the cable service already. I told you it’s a mindset.”
“So you have alternative methods of home ownership in mind?” asked John.
“Well off the top of my head, I can think of several. First, for most of American history people bought land from each other without banks involved. Many Americans are still willing to hold paper. Or, if you are in a rural area you may have more options. For instance, if you call your county extension office, they may be able to turn you onto a situation that is unique to our time. Many farmers’ children are not going into farming. This leaves the farmers with an interesting dilemma. They can’t afford to retire. They can’t sell their land because it’s worth less than they owe. So they are willing to ‘adopt’ a family. They build a small house on the property and they train their own replacement. With the stipulation that they get to live out their life on the property and in some cases receive a small salary for an advisory role.”
“That seems cumbersome and a possible personality nightmare.” John commented.
“Perhaps, but it is a a possibility. But I have an even better one. That anyone can do.” Said the doctor. “wanna hear it?”
-Mac
“I am a reporter, I want to hear EVERYTHING!” John said with a smile.
“OK, It’s just this. ‘Loose lips sink ships’.” The doctor replied. “Do you know what I mean by that?”
“I have heard the saying before, it’s a WWII saying. It refers to service men telling people; wives, girlfriends, buddies. Etc; things about their postings and missions that could be overheard or passed onto the enemy as operational intelligence. Right?” John answered. “But I am not sure how it applies here?”
“Let me pose you another question in illustration.” The doctor began. “If you had saved a briefcase full of money, would you tell everyone you know about it? Put it on your Facebook page? Tweet ‘Just counted it! X Bucks! WOOT!!’ Bring visitors to your home to see it under your bed?”
“Of course not!” John laughed.
“Why not?” asked the Doctor.
“First off it would be Tacky! Secondly, you never know about people. One might feel they needed it more than I do and break in and take it. I see where you are going with this. But we are talking about food not money.” John exclaimed.
“We are actually talking about things of value.” The doctor returned. “And I am proposing that food may be a thing of great value at a near future point. You can believe or disbelieve my proposal and act accordingly. When gold was at $400 an ounce I said on an interview show much like this one that people should buy gold. Some people believed me and bought gold. Some didn’t and even sent me email calling me an alarmist, a gold bug, and even worse things. Now we all know where gold has reached. I propose that food will have a meteoric rise soon. I also maintain that the beginnings of the rise have already begun. It is up to you to believe or disbelieve.”
“So you think that food prices will increase that much?” John asked.
“I do indeed. Which is why I suggest both passive and active protection for it, as well as your other valuables.” Came the doctor’s answer.
“Protection for food? What do you mean? Should we hire armed guards?” John asked tongue in cheek.
“If the situation warrants it. But at the point we are at now, simply being quiet about our stock should be enough. Soon however you may want a security system. Or even more.” The doctor said.
“Are you proposing we arm ourselves to protect our cornflakes Doctor?” asked John.
“I am an economist, not a security expert. If I was to suggest you invest in diamonds, and then said to protect them, you would not bat an eye. I am telling you that in the near future, very near future, food will be more valuable than diamonds. The proof is all there if you want to research it. And I for one believe you should. Great minds think for themselves! Remember. But this has to do with a lot more than food. It has to do with our entire global economy. Housing, Fuel, Food, Energy, and everything else will be effected. The world is one harvest away from starvation. And the people are living paycheck to paycheck globally. Austerity is leading to riots in Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, and Asia. Only a fool would believe that could never happen here. The largest union rally in history just happened in Wisconsin, and our nation is more polarized than ever over things like entitlement programs versus budget cutbacks. Even during the civil war, we had three camps of thought, union, confederate, and neutral. Today we are almost evenly split into two camps. That is a definite red flag.” The doctor returned passionately.
“Let’s move on to other things besides food, what other areas should we as New Yorkers, and Americans be worried about?” John inquired.
“We still haven’t settled the housing problem yet. Our taxation is out of control. Our energy markets are scarier than a horror movie. Which one do you want to talk about?” The doctor asked.
“Housing is something we are all aware of. What is your advice for people who want to own a home, and can’t get a mortgage. Or can get one but are afraid of a mortgage in this economy.” John asked.
“I would tell them not to get a mortgage. I don’t blame them for being nervous. I would never get a mortgage right now. The market is too volatile.” The doctor said.
“So my generation should give up on home ownership?” asked John.
“Of course not!” the doctor exclaimed. “Have you forgotten the lesson of the cable service already. I told you it’s a mindset.”
“So you have alternative methods of home ownership in mind?” asked John.
“Well off the top of my head, I can think of several. First, for most of American history people bought land from each other without banks involved. Many Americans are still willing to hold paper. Or, if you are in a rural area you may have more options. For instance, if you call your county extension office, they may be able to turn you onto a situation that is unique to our time. Many farmers’ children are not going into farming. This leaves the farmers with an interesting dilemma. They can’t afford to retire. They can’t sell their land because it’s worth less than they owe. So they are willing to ‘adopt’ a family. They build a small house on the property and they train their own replacement. With the stipulation that they get to live out their life on the property and in some cases receive a small salary for an advisory role.”
“That seems cumbersome and a possible personality nightmare.” John commented.
“Perhaps, but it is a a possibility. But I have an even better one. That anyone can do.” Said the doctor. “wanna hear it?”
"What is that?l prompted John.
"Well every area has 'for sale by owner' web sites and newspapers. A way to home ownership without a credit check or down payment is available through them. It is simple, especially for web users." The doctor began.
"I can hardly wait for this one " John said with a smile.
"Oh, now your wise guy?" The doctor smiled. "Me too, but this is for real. Simply look on the for sale by owner site a year earlier. You can do this by using various internet 'way back' or archiving sites. Then look on the site for it's current listings. Any that are still on have been there for a while. Right?"
"Well every area has 'for sale by owner' web sites and newspapers. A way to home ownership without a credit check or down payment is available through them. It is simple, especially for web users." The doctor began.
"I can hardly wait for this one " John said with a smile.
"Oh, now your wise guy?" The doctor smiled. "Me too, but this is for real. Simply look on the for sale by owner site a year earlier. You can do this by using various internet 'way back' or archiving sites. Then look on the site for it's current listings. Any that are still on have been there for a while. Right?"
"Right." John responded. "So what does that tell us?"
"It tells us that they may be a motivated seller. " The doctor replied. "And they may be more likely to make a deal."
"What kind of a deal? Even if they agree to a rockbottom price most people would still need a mortgage and a huge down payment." John responded.
"You are right if we were looking for the traditional mortgage sale arrangement. But, we are not. What we are going to do is contact the owner and offer to take over their payments. If they are behind on their mortgage this is a huge benefit to them. Or they might want a little on top monthly. Or they might say no." The doctor replied.
"I would say no." Said John. "I don't see how it is a good deal for them. "
"If your house is foreclosed on it kills your credit rating for years. This deal is a good one for some people. Others will say no, and neither of you looses anything but a half hours conversation. " The doctor said earnestly.
"It would feel to me as if I were taking advantage of people in a tight spot." John said seriously.
"By saving their credit? By removing a burden? Honestly I do not know what they are teaching people now a days. Listen, only people who need this deal will take it. And those people are grateful." The doctor replied.
"It tells us that they may be a motivated seller. " The doctor replied. "And they may be more likely to make a deal."
"What kind of a deal? Even if they agree to a rockbottom price most people would still need a mortgage and a huge down payment." John responded.
"You are right if we were looking for the traditional mortgage sale arrangement. But, we are not. What we are going to do is contact the owner and offer to take over their payments. If they are behind on their mortgage this is a huge benefit to them. Or they might want a little on top monthly. Or they might say no." The doctor replied.
"I would say no." Said John. "I don't see how it is a good deal for them. "
"If your house is foreclosed on it kills your credit rating for years. This deal is a good one for some people. Others will say no, and neither of you looses anything but a half hours conversation. " The doctor said earnestly.
"It would feel to me as if I were taking advantage of people in a tight spot." John said seriously.
"By saving their credit? By removing a burden? Honestly I do not know what they are teaching people now a days. Listen, only people who need this deal will take it. And those people are grateful." The doctor replied.
“If helping people out of a tight spot in a mutually beneficial way is
something you are too squeamish for, the Green Movement has provided us
with a host of alternatives as well. They have invented and reinvented
literally dozens of building styles which are labor expensive but
materially cheap. Things such as Cordwood masonry, Pise’ which also
known as rammed earth, Cob, and Earthships all deserve a look. If you
provide the labor, and use recycled windows and doors along with
whatever else you can scrounge, some of these buildings can be literally
free for the building, with the exception of plumbing and electric.”
Said the doctor.
“I suppose that would be helpful for handy people. But what about folks who have never held a hammer?” Asked John.
“Well I think you should do some research on these things before you make that leap of judgment. Really, I would have thought you had learned better by now. I wouldn’t be offering these suggestions to the general population if I thought it was beyond their reach. If you do a search on the internet about cob construction alone, you will find stories of women in their 70’s with no experience building their own homes. Single moms as well- while they hold a job AND take care of their children.” The doctor chided.
“I can see I need to look into these methods more before I comment. Are there any more like this.” Asked John.
“Certainly. There are plenty. Strawbale building for one, not as cheap as it used to be but definitely doable for the owner builder who wants to build a superinsulated passive solar house ANYWHERE. A version of Pise’ using straw dipped in clay. Houses made of converted shipping containers. And my personal favorite, the rammed earth block. I am currently building an addition to my home upstate using them.” The doctor commented.
“Tell us a little more about them then, since it is a current subject in your life.” Pressed John.
“Well I am using the TerraBlock system. I would encourage everyone to check out their website and YouTube videos. They are wonderfully educational. The TerraBlock system uses the soil on your property to make large bricks which are then built with on site. The bricks have the best ballistic protection of any of the methods I have mentioned, and are even being used to build police stations and barracks in third world countries because of it. They also are a great thermal mass and more insulative than most other methods of construction. Yet you can easily put a nail into them to hang a shelf or picture. The company rents or sells machines that produce the blocks quickly. However, you can easily construct a single block maker from plans on the internet which use a long lever or a hydraulic jack.” Said the doctor.
“Well that sounds interesting and very green, although I am not sure how much ballistic protection means here in New York.” Said John.
The doctor just chuckled.
“But these all presuppose land ownership. Which is still an expense that most of us simply cannot conquer.” Stated John.
“Well I guess it depends on where the land is, how much we need, and our resources.” Said the Doctor. “There are plenty of places in New York that land can be had for one to three thousand dollars an acre. They are usually rural or agricultural areas, or areas that have been recently logged- we aren’t talking about the Hamptons here. Most people could live quite comfortably on an acre or two. Especially if we are raising much of our own food. All of a sudden our expenses drop to energy, land tax, and car expenses with the exception of a few minor things. It’s a definite priority switch, but if you let your TV time be replaced with a few simple chores, you can save yourself a lot of time and money. But there are people who would not be able to come up with the minimum two or three grand to get started. Or are chained to an area that has much higher land prices due to circumstances in their own lives. There is a great solution for these folks too. If I were a single man or young couple, it is probably the path I would take. Should I go into it more , Or are we getting short on time?”
“I suppose that would be helpful for handy people. But what about folks who have never held a hammer?” Asked John.
“Well I think you should do some research on these things before you make that leap of judgment. Really, I would have thought you had learned better by now. I wouldn’t be offering these suggestions to the general population if I thought it was beyond their reach. If you do a search on the internet about cob construction alone, you will find stories of women in their 70’s with no experience building their own homes. Single moms as well- while they hold a job AND take care of their children.” The doctor chided.
“I can see I need to look into these methods more before I comment. Are there any more like this.” Asked John.
“Certainly. There are plenty. Strawbale building for one, not as cheap as it used to be but definitely doable for the owner builder who wants to build a superinsulated passive solar house ANYWHERE. A version of Pise’ using straw dipped in clay. Houses made of converted shipping containers. And my personal favorite, the rammed earth block. I am currently building an addition to my home upstate using them.” The doctor commented.
“Tell us a little more about them then, since it is a current subject in your life.” Pressed John.
“Well I am using the TerraBlock system. I would encourage everyone to check out their website and YouTube videos. They are wonderfully educational. The TerraBlock system uses the soil on your property to make large bricks which are then built with on site. The bricks have the best ballistic protection of any of the methods I have mentioned, and are even being used to build police stations and barracks in third world countries because of it. They also are a great thermal mass and more insulative than most other methods of construction. Yet you can easily put a nail into them to hang a shelf or picture. The company rents or sells machines that produce the blocks quickly. However, you can easily construct a single block maker from plans on the internet which use a long lever or a hydraulic jack.” Said the doctor.
“Well that sounds interesting and very green, although I am not sure how much ballistic protection means here in New York.” Said John.
The doctor just chuckled.
“But these all presuppose land ownership. Which is still an expense that most of us simply cannot conquer.” Stated John.
“Well I guess it depends on where the land is, how much we need, and our resources.” Said the Doctor. “There are plenty of places in New York that land can be had for one to three thousand dollars an acre. They are usually rural or agricultural areas, or areas that have been recently logged- we aren’t talking about the Hamptons here. Most people could live quite comfortably on an acre or two. Especially if we are raising much of our own food. All of a sudden our expenses drop to energy, land tax, and car expenses with the exception of a few minor things. It’s a definite priority switch, but if you let your TV time be replaced with a few simple chores, you can save yourself a lot of time and money. But there are people who would not be able to come up with the minimum two or three grand to get started. Or are chained to an area that has much higher land prices due to circumstances in their own lives. There is a great solution for these folks too. If I were a single man or young couple, it is probably the path I would take. Should I go into it more , Or are we getting short on time?”
“I definitely think we can continue in this vein for a few minutes. Please continue.” John replied.
“Thank you. This next idea is something that is just gaining momentum presently. They are called ‘Tiny Houses’, ‘Tumbleweeds’, and other things but the description is really a trailer with a small house built onto it.” Said the Doctor.
“Like a camper?” asked John.
“Yes and no.” Came the reply. “Really, campers are designed as a home away from home. And they are very expensive to buy new. These are more like really small primary dwellings. Most are built custom by their owners. However kits and prebuilts are available although expensive.”
“So It is like a mobile home?” asked John. “You live in it full time.”
“Well they are usually much smaller, and yes they can be used as a primary dwelling, or as a camper, or even as a second home.” The doctor replied.
“So you have to still meet code, which means contractors and such. Or is this more like the Cob building you were talking about?” John asked.
“Well, as long as you don’t get longer than 39’ or higher from the ground than 13’6” or wider than (I believe) 12’ you do not get into the area of code for mobile homes, so anything goes. You will also need to build within the capabilities of what ever trailer you build on, or the vehicle you have to tow with. But most of these things are VERY small. I know of at least one person that owns one, and does not even have a vehicle. She rents a truck from Home Depot the infrequent times she moves it. I would also specify that unlike most motor homes, you are better off using a small composting toilet rather than a chemical system so that dumping it is not a problem. If I were someone with money problems, this is definitely the way to go. Or if I were going to be going down the owner builder route, I would build one of these first, then live in it while I was building the ‘Real’ house. I even saw one of these built onto an old army deuce and a half 6 wheel drive truck.” The doctor said with a smile. “And if I ever needed to travel, I could pull my little house behind me. Even if I had to leave in a hurry, due to a storm or some such- I would never have to worry. I would have my portable house that I could park in a friends back yard. Or a campground, or even a tiny house camping area. There is one of these in the Catskills that operates as a club. You Have your own site, which you can rent monthly or yearly, even keep your own shed or storage building on the site, then just drive your tiny house there when you want to, or leave it there as you drive back and forth with your car.”
“That sounds fun. How hard are these to build? Are they expensive?” John asked.
“Well, I know of several people who built them from old wood pallets on scrounged trailers for under a thousand dollars. I also know of people who buy them premade for twenty grand or more.” The doctor said. “Which while cheaper than a camper, is still more than most people have lying around. I would probably build my own if I were looking for one.”
“Thank you. This next idea is something that is just gaining momentum presently. They are called ‘Tiny Houses’, ‘Tumbleweeds’, and other things but the description is really a trailer with a small house built onto it.” Said the Doctor.
“Like a camper?” asked John.
“Yes and no.” Came the reply. “Really, campers are designed as a home away from home. And they are very expensive to buy new. These are more like really small primary dwellings. Most are built custom by their owners. However kits and prebuilts are available although expensive.”
“So It is like a mobile home?” asked John. “You live in it full time.”
“Well they are usually much smaller, and yes they can be used as a primary dwelling, or as a camper, or even as a second home.” The doctor replied.
“So you have to still meet code, which means contractors and such. Or is this more like the Cob building you were talking about?” John asked.
“Well, as long as you don’t get longer than 39’ or higher from the ground than 13’6” or wider than (I believe) 12’ you do not get into the area of code for mobile homes, so anything goes. You will also need to build within the capabilities of what ever trailer you build on, or the vehicle you have to tow with. But most of these things are VERY small. I know of at least one person that owns one, and does not even have a vehicle. She rents a truck from Home Depot the infrequent times she moves it. I would also specify that unlike most motor homes, you are better off using a small composting toilet rather than a chemical system so that dumping it is not a problem. If I were someone with money problems, this is definitely the way to go. Or if I were going to be going down the owner builder route, I would build one of these first, then live in it while I was building the ‘Real’ house. I even saw one of these built onto an old army deuce and a half 6 wheel drive truck.” The doctor said with a smile. “And if I ever needed to travel, I could pull my little house behind me. Even if I had to leave in a hurry, due to a storm or some such- I would never have to worry. I would have my portable house that I could park in a friends back yard. Or a campground, or even a tiny house camping area. There is one of these in the Catskills that operates as a club. You Have your own site, which you can rent monthly or yearly, even keep your own shed or storage building on the site, then just drive your tiny house there when you want to, or leave it there as you drive back and forth with your car.”
“That sounds fun. How hard are these to build? Are they expensive?” John asked.
“Well, I know of several people who built them from old wood pallets on scrounged trailers for under a thousand dollars. I also know of people who buy them premade for twenty grand or more.” The doctor said. “Which while cheaper than a camper, is still more than most people have lying around. I would probably build my own if I were looking for one.”
At this point Luc flashed his pocket flashlight a few times at John, and John straightened up in his seat.
“Dr. Cummings, I think we are about out of time, Is there anything you feel you should add before we wrap this up?” He asked.
“Just this, our economy is in for a rocky ride over the near term. Expect severe inflation in gasoline, food, electricity, water, and clothing among other things. Severe inflation. There is simply no way around it. Expect the real estate market to crash even harder in the next year or two. And prepare yourselves for this eventuality. Forewarned is forearmed. And if you do not take care of your selves and your family no one else will. It’s not the end of the world. It is just a much-needed correction. However it has been put off for so long, that the fallout will be unsurvivable for the people who have the greatest exposure. What worries me is that all this may be a prelude to a World War. Economies such as this one in the past have done exactly that. And now more of the world is in this shape than ever before preceding past conflicts.” The doctor leaned back in his chair as he finished.
“Well that gives us all a lot to think about. Thank you Doctor Elijah Cummings, and we will have you back whenever possible, it is always a pleasure to talk to you, even if the subject matter is not. “ John smiled at the camera until the live light went out and then sat back.
“Doctor you are scaring the living daylights out of me. Are things as serious as you say? Luc asked.
“No sir, they are much worse. But if I dumped some of the realities this interview would never get airtime.” The doctor said sadly.
“Dr. Cummings, I think we are about out of time, Is there anything you feel you should add before we wrap this up?” He asked.
“Just this, our economy is in for a rocky ride over the near term. Expect severe inflation in gasoline, food, electricity, water, and clothing among other things. Severe inflation. There is simply no way around it. Expect the real estate market to crash even harder in the next year or two. And prepare yourselves for this eventuality. Forewarned is forearmed. And if you do not take care of your selves and your family no one else will. It’s not the end of the world. It is just a much-needed correction. However it has been put off for so long, that the fallout will be unsurvivable for the people who have the greatest exposure. What worries me is that all this may be a prelude to a World War. Economies such as this one in the past have done exactly that. And now more of the world is in this shape than ever before preceding past conflicts.” The doctor leaned back in his chair as he finished.
“Well that gives us all a lot to think about. Thank you Doctor Elijah Cummings, and we will have you back whenever possible, it is always a pleasure to talk to you, even if the subject matter is not. “ John smiled at the camera until the live light went out and then sat back.
“Doctor you are scaring the living daylights out of me. Are things as serious as you say? Luc asked.
“No sir, they are much worse. But if I dumped some of the realities this interview would never get airtime.” The doctor said sadly.
"What do you mean, do you think there is a conspiracy to keep information from us?" asked Luc.
"No. Well not per se." The doctor replied. "But people don't sponsor doom and gloom reporting, except precious metal brokers and "Year Supply" companies. And there aren't many of them. Besides Stations don't want to seem as if they are cheerleading America falling."
"So what can a guy like me do?" Asked Matthew. "I have nothing and am barely getting by as it is. Am I done for?"
"That is up to you my friend." The doctor replied warmly. "Robinson Crueso made it. Plenty of folks stranded in deserts, on mountains, in jungles, and snow storms have lived to tell the tale. And the Dark Ages were not the end times. It's a mindset to make it. And the better prepared you are, the easier it will be. You don't need anything but the right attitude and ideals to start however. It also helps to have like minded friends. If I were you I would just start preparing for the eventuality we have outlined."
"But where do I begin? I can barely cover my bills as it is. In fact at this point I am not even doing that!" Matthew replied.
"Well then, that is where you start. You can't afford your lifestyle. Cut back on non essentials on the one hand, and find a second job on the other." The doctor said. "No one said it was easy. But it becomes easy after you have lived it for a while."
"If I cut back anymore, I would be homeless. " Matthew laughed.
"Well maybe that's where you start. If you can't afford your rent on an apartment, rent a room. If you can't afford a room, rent a bed. While you are living like that put away enough to build a tiny house, or buy a used motorhome. Live tight and build up as quickly as you can." The doctor replied.
"No. Well not per se." The doctor replied. "But people don't sponsor doom and gloom reporting, except precious metal brokers and "Year Supply" companies. And there aren't many of them. Besides Stations don't want to seem as if they are cheerleading America falling."
"So what can a guy like me do?" Asked Matthew. "I have nothing and am barely getting by as it is. Am I done for?"
"That is up to you my friend." The doctor replied warmly. "Robinson Crueso made it. Plenty of folks stranded in deserts, on mountains, in jungles, and snow storms have lived to tell the tale. And the Dark Ages were not the end times. It's a mindset to make it. And the better prepared you are, the easier it will be. You don't need anything but the right attitude and ideals to start however. It also helps to have like minded friends. If I were you I would just start preparing for the eventuality we have outlined."
"But where do I begin? I can barely cover my bills as it is. In fact at this point I am not even doing that!" Matthew replied.
"Well then, that is where you start. You can't afford your lifestyle. Cut back on non essentials on the one hand, and find a second job on the other." The doctor said. "No one said it was easy. But it becomes easy after you have lived it for a while."
"If I cut back anymore, I would be homeless. " Matthew laughed.
"Well maybe that's where you start. If you can't afford your rent on an apartment, rent a room. If you can't afford a room, rent a bed. While you are living like that put away enough to build a tiny house, or buy a used motorhome. Live tight and build up as quickly as you can." The doctor replied.
"As trite as that sounds on the
surface, it is true my friend!" said Luc. "I have lived my life by
that rule since the baby came. It is definitely true in my life."
"So where do I start?" Asked Matthew.
"Begin at the beginning, to quote Lewis Carrol. Sit down with a pen and paper and outline what you have, and where you need to get to. Then fill in the middle on a time-line, or using milestones. I recommend the latter. It is easier to motivate myself using events rather than dates. But you need to figure out things for yourself!" said the doctor. "Other people can be a great resource, but make sure YOU are the only one in charge of your destiny."
"Thank you for the encouragement doctor. I believe I will give it a whack!" said Matthew, his momentary despair quelled.
"Good and you used the right word. Belief is the biggest hurdle, all the rest is housekeeping!" The doctor chuckled."And now lads, I am off to visit with another reporter from NPR who wants to politicize everything I say to blame the last administration for anything she does not like. Oh did I say that out loud... Shame on me."
The doctor shook everyone's hand and hurried out the door.
The three friends looked around at each other and each seemed slightly confused. As if they should be doing something, but couldn't quite figure out what it was.
"I have an incredible sense of urgency. To do something- anything!" said Luc. "As if I should spring to my feet and rush out the door to take care of my business."
John laughed."I think we are all there. Tell you what, why don't you and Marie have dinner with Matthew and I at my place tonight. We can think about what we have rolling around in us and push it out over a glass of wine. We can just order Pizza. You guys in?"
They all agreed and went to work putting all the equipment away.
"So where do I start?" Asked Matthew.
"Begin at the beginning, to quote Lewis Carrol. Sit down with a pen and paper and outline what you have, and where you need to get to. Then fill in the middle on a time-line, or using milestones. I recommend the latter. It is easier to motivate myself using events rather than dates. But you need to figure out things for yourself!" said the doctor. "Other people can be a great resource, but make sure YOU are the only one in charge of your destiny."
"Thank you for the encouragement doctor. I believe I will give it a whack!" said Matthew, his momentary despair quelled.
"Good and you used the right word. Belief is the biggest hurdle, all the rest is housekeeping!" The doctor chuckled."And now lads, I am off to visit with another reporter from NPR who wants to politicize everything I say to blame the last administration for anything she does not like. Oh did I say that out loud... Shame on me."
The doctor shook everyone's hand and hurried out the door.
The three friends looked around at each other and each seemed slightly confused. As if they should be doing something, but couldn't quite figure out what it was.
"I have an incredible sense of urgency. To do something- anything!" said Luc. "As if I should spring to my feet and rush out the door to take care of my business."
John laughed."I think we are all there. Tell you what, why don't you and Marie have dinner with Matthew and I at my place tonight. We can think about what we have rolling around in us and push it out over a glass of wine. We can just order Pizza. You guys in?"
They all agreed and went to work putting all the equipment away.
After they were done rolling cables and storing gear, Luc showed Matthew how to use job numbers on his time card.
"This is the code for the interview." He said filling in a blank on Matthews card. "If you do not put in a code, then you are paid out of your general account- and at that rate. Mark gets angry if you don't use job numbers because it kills his budget, and he can't bang other people for your time."
"Makes sense. You can be sure I will use job numbers if it means I will make more than my regular rate!" Matthew answered. They both chuckled and Luc set him up on one of the staff Macintosh computers to do some tutorials.
Matthew had watched a couple and was looking for a third when Mark stuck his head into the room and bellowed "Matthew are you independently wealthy or something?" He handed Matthew his pay envelope. "This thing has been on my desk all day, and it's the last one there. I don't need to be babysitting your check."
"Thanks Mark!" said Matthew. "I didn't think I would get paid till next week"
"We don't have a lag here. Do you have a way to cash it?"
"Yeah, I still have a bank account." Matthew answered. "And there is a check cashing place on my street if I didn't"
"Don't use those places unless you have to! Are you nuts. The only time you have too is when your on the run or a tax cheat. Can I assume that you are not one of these?" He asked with a wry grin.
"Of course not!" Laughed Matthew. "I would dress better. But seriously, if I didn't have an account, I would have to right?"
"For some reason many people think so. And they pay the crazy fees that those places charge. But really, if it is a payroll check, the issuing bank HAS to cash it most places, whether or not the employee has an account. If they won't the employer must then pay cash, or the department of labor will have some interesting questions for them." Mark replied.
"But if I had just got a job, I might not want to make waves. What then?" Matthew asked. "I would have to bite the bullet and go to a check casher, fee or no fee, know what I mean?"
"I know what you THINK you mean, but really, most bosses won't think it's amiss if you ask their help getting paid. Either cashing the check, or calling the bank. But even if I was a delicate little flower like you," Mark winked at Matthew." I would still not go to a check casher. I would go to a grocery store. Most of them will do it. If not the Wal-Mart type stores do it as well. Or I would ask a friend. I would buy him or her a beer of course, but I would definitely have to be hiding out to use a check casher. It's just to much of a fee. But you have an account, so I don't have to cash it for you, which is what I was getting at."
"I should be fine, and thank you!" said Matthew. Then he headed out to cash his small but welcome check.
"This is the code for the interview." He said filling in a blank on Matthews card. "If you do not put in a code, then you are paid out of your general account- and at that rate. Mark gets angry if you don't use job numbers because it kills his budget, and he can't bang other people for your time."
"Makes sense. You can be sure I will use job numbers if it means I will make more than my regular rate!" Matthew answered. They both chuckled and Luc set him up on one of the staff Macintosh computers to do some tutorials.
Matthew had watched a couple and was looking for a third when Mark stuck his head into the room and bellowed "Matthew are you independently wealthy or something?" He handed Matthew his pay envelope. "This thing has been on my desk all day, and it's the last one there. I don't need to be babysitting your check."
"Thanks Mark!" said Matthew. "I didn't think I would get paid till next week"
"We don't have a lag here. Do you have a way to cash it?"
"Yeah, I still have a bank account." Matthew answered. "And there is a check cashing place on my street if I didn't"
"Don't use those places unless you have to! Are you nuts. The only time you have too is when your on the run or a tax cheat. Can I assume that you are not one of these?" He asked with a wry grin.
"Of course not!" Laughed Matthew. "I would dress better. But seriously, if I didn't have an account, I would have to right?"
"For some reason many people think so. And they pay the crazy fees that those places charge. But really, if it is a payroll check, the issuing bank HAS to cash it most places, whether or not the employee has an account. If they won't the employer must then pay cash, or the department of labor will have some interesting questions for them." Mark replied.
"But if I had just got a job, I might not want to make waves. What then?" Matthew asked. "I would have to bite the bullet and go to a check casher, fee or no fee, know what I mean?"
"I know what you THINK you mean, but really, most bosses won't think it's amiss if you ask their help getting paid. Either cashing the check, or calling the bank. But even if I was a delicate little flower like you," Mark winked at Matthew." I would still not go to a check casher. I would go to a grocery store. Most of them will do it. If not the Wal-Mart type stores do it as well. Or I would ask a friend. I would buy him or her a beer of course, but I would definitely have to be hiding out to use a check casher. It's just to much of a fee. But you have an account, so I don't have to cash it for you, which is what I was getting at."
"I should be fine, and thank you!" said Matthew. Then he headed out to cash his small but welcome check.
Matthew cashed his check and then ran home to check his mail since it
was on the way back to the studio. He decided to run in and check his
email too. There was a note from Jane inviting him to a picnic in the
park the next day.
"I will bring sandwiches and someone I want you to meet. You bring a smile and some conversation." The note said.
Matthew sent back a "thank you" and a "I'll be there." Then he headed back to the studio. As he was getting on the bus he smiled to himself. No matter how bad his situation seemed, he had a job, friends, and tonight they were going to talk over the stuff that seemed to be sitting on his shoulder, weighing him down. He had been bordering on depression, but the grin of the bus driver, one he had seen before a few times, seemed to be the catalyst to make him shake it off. Whatever happened, he would be setting his own pace, and it wouldn't be a brown funk setting his future path. He exited the bus with a spring in his step for the first time in days.
"I will bring sandwiches and someone I want you to meet. You bring a smile and some conversation." The note said.
Matthew sent back a "thank you" and a "I'll be there." Then he headed back to the studio. As he was getting on the bus he smiled to himself. No matter how bad his situation seemed, he had a job, friends, and tonight they were going to talk over the stuff that seemed to be sitting on his shoulder, weighing him down. He had been bordering on depression, but the grin of the bus driver, one he had seen before a few times, seemed to be the catalyst to make him shake it off. Whatever happened, he would be setting his own pace, and it wouldn't be a brown funk setting his future path. He exited the bus with a spring in his step for the first time in days.
Matthew flew through his cleaning and was ready to leave with everyone
else. John and he caught the bus the apartment building and made plans
to meet up in an hour at John's apartment. When Matthew went inside he
checked his voicemail and found he had a message waiting from the
management company that owned the building. A cold feeling was in his
stomach as he dialed back and asked for the extension that had been
left.
A crisp voice asked "Is this Matthew who lives in the Grayson Building apartment 3a?"
Matthew admitted to his identity and the man replied. "Have you found any luck with employment?"
"I am working part time as a custodian. I think I will be able to cover rent if you give me a little time. I know you still have my deposit. That included first and last, so I should have a little time." Matthew said, speaking quickly.
"Relax Matthew, I am not calling about an eviction. The superintendent for your building is retiring to Florida, and since you showed some responsibility calling about your situation, we were wondering if you would be interested in the job." The man said.
"I don't know too much about what it entails, but I am definitely interested." Matthew replied.
"Supers do not do as much as they used too. There is some light cleaning of hallways, vestibules, and the front walk. You also have to shovel and salt in the winter and water the flowerbed in the summer. That building has no grass, so no mowing. If the dumpster is full, you call the service. And you collect the checks on the first and deposit them. Also if a toilet leaks at 2 AM you get the call... still interested?" Came the reply.
"Yes, but I don't know anything about plumbing." Matthew replied honestly.
"You don't need to." The voice laughed. "In NY, all repairs must be made by licensed and insured repairmen. Including plumbing. Do you remember me from when you rented your place. I am Tad Green."
"Yes sir. Mr. Green. I would like a chance at the job." Matthew replied.
"No chance needed. The jobs yours if you want it. It has to be someone in the building, and you have proven yourself as much as anyone. But, before you say yes, you will have to move down to 1A. Also you haven't heard about pay yet" Mr. Green said.
"Anything is a blessing." Matthew replied.
A crisp voice asked "Is this Matthew who lives in the Grayson Building apartment 3a?"
Matthew admitted to his identity and the man replied. "Have you found any luck with employment?"
"I am working part time as a custodian. I think I will be able to cover rent if you give me a little time. I know you still have my deposit. That included first and last, so I should have a little time." Matthew said, speaking quickly.
"Relax Matthew, I am not calling about an eviction. The superintendent for your building is retiring to Florida, and since you showed some responsibility calling about your situation, we were wondering if you would be interested in the job." The man said.
"I don't know too much about what it entails, but I am definitely interested." Matthew replied.
"Supers do not do as much as they used too. There is some light cleaning of hallways, vestibules, and the front walk. You also have to shovel and salt in the winter and water the flowerbed in the summer. That building has no grass, so no mowing. If the dumpster is full, you call the service. And you collect the checks on the first and deposit them. Also if a toilet leaks at 2 AM you get the call... still interested?" Came the reply.
"Yes, but I don't know anything about plumbing." Matthew replied honestly.
"You don't need to." The voice laughed. "In NY, all repairs must be made by licensed and insured repairmen. Including plumbing. Do you remember me from when you rented your place. I am Tad Green."
"Yes sir. Mr. Green. I would like a chance at the job." Matthew replied.
"No chance needed. The jobs yours if you want it. It has to be someone in the building, and you have proven yourself as much as anyone. But, before you say yes, you will have to move down to 1A. Also you haven't heard about pay yet" Mr. Green said.
"Anything is a blessing." Matthew replied.
"Well this is in the 'ANYTHING'
category, that's for sure. You get the three bedroom super apartment.
And you get $250 dollars a week. That is salary, no matter how many
hours you put in. That building is in good shape though, so you should
have a pretty light load. You also get a spot in the parking garage,
and access to the tool crib in the building in case you need it. It is
at your discretion, so it's a nice perk if your handy. That is pretty
much it. The gas bill for the boiler and dryers comes here. The
machines in the laundry room are handled by a service. The bank you
have to deposit into is right on the block. And if you have trouble
collecting someones rent, we have a collections department here to
handle it. Still interested?" Mr. Green asked.
"Definitely, where do I sign?" Matthew asked.
"I will stop by tomorrow morning. Can you be available around 8:30 AM?" Mr Green asked.
"I will be here." Matthew replied.
They said goodbye, and Matthew headed up to John's with the news.
"Definitely, where do I sign?" Matthew asked.
"I will stop by tomorrow morning. Can you be available around 8:30 AM?" Mr Green asked.
"I will be here." Matthew replied.
They said goodbye, and Matthew headed up to John's with the news.
Matthew was very excited as he went up to John's place. He felt very
blessed by the event that had just occurred and wanted to share it with
his friends. Luc and his family were getting off the elevator as
Matthew exited the stairwell on John's floor.
"Matthew you are smiling like the cat who ate the canary!". What could have happened in two hours to make you shine like that?" Luc asked with a smile, clapping Matthews shoulder as Matthew banged on John's door.
"Matthew you are smiling like the cat who ate the canary!". What could have happened in two hours to make you shine like that?" Luc asked with a smile, clapping Matthews shoulder as Matthew banged on John's door.
"Why don't you guys just kick the door in? Geez!" John said with a smile as he opened the door.
"I cannot tell a lie, It was Marie! She is quite a violent lady!" Luc lied shamelessly.
Marie mock slapped her husband. To which he replied, "Case in point! You are my witnesses to spousal abuse!"
"We are Marie's witnesses that you are not abused enough!" said John, moving inside the apartment so that the others could get in.
When everyone was inside, John asked Marie if she and Matthew had met, to which she answered, "No, but I assumed it was the Matthew who has joined you two troublemakers coterie."
"Luc you are a caveman!" John laughed. "Marie this is Matthew Jones, Matthew, Marie LePlant, she is married to the ugly guy in the blue shirt."
"And you wonder why I do not introduce her to my friends?" Luc said in mock exasperation. "One look at Matthew's rakish self, and she would leave me in moments!" He put one fist over his eyes and fake sighed.
Everyone laughed and Matthew could see by the light in Maries eyes when she looked at Luc, he was in no danger of loosing her. Marie was not tall, but carried herself as if she were. Confident and pretty in a young way that would become handsome rather than beautiful as she aged. The group settled themselves as John filled wine glasses. Then John picked up the phone and ordered some pizza and salad for delivery. When he finished the small talk led swiftly too the warnings Elijah Cummings had been espousing.
"You all seem very taken with him." Marie said. "I wish I had seen him myself."
"Ask and you shall receive." said John, reaching onto the side table to fetch his laptop. He launched his remote access software and handed the laptop to Luc. "It is on your machine right?"
Luc took the computer and logged in. The four watched a good part of the interview when the food arrived. Matthew was thankful for the cash in his pocket that let him pay his share of the meal. He was amazed how good it felt to pay such a small amount, how good it felt to pay his own way. And he smiled to himself how no one else in the room noticed his private thought.
After the delivery man left, the group finished the interview while silently eating. When the interview was over Matthew looked at Marie and asked,"Well Marie? What do you think?"
"I think my husband is an amazing cameraman!" she said with a smile.
John groaned and Luc cheered, but the heavy atmosphere in the room evaporated as everyone laughed.
"OK wise girl! What do you really think?" asked John, playfully shaking his fist.
"Well, this all brings to mind visiting my grandmother when I was little. She lived out in the bush. Not a bush John, I saw you open your mouth for a wise reply. In the wilderness of Northern Canada. We call it the bush. One winter had been very rough, and since my grandmother lived alone, my mother was very worried over her. Two times when we were headed out to check on her snow storms made the trip impossible." began Marie.
"Why didn't you just call her?" Matthew asked.
Marie put her hand on his shoulder and laughed. "My grandmother never owned a phone. Running a line up to her cabin was not something she could have afforded. Or wanted for that matter. At any rate, when they finally got there, my grandmother was suprised they were making a fuss, and was a little irritated at them about it. I remember my father laughing and telling me to help my grandmother make dinner. I started opening the bags of groceries we bought, but my grandmother stopped me, and said 'I was planing on elk tonight, I have been thinking about it all morning. We will eat what your folks brought tomorrow.' I went with her into the section of the basement she called 'the cold cellar' and was amazed at all the food she had there. Mostly home preserved, but also buckets of flour and sugar and lots of metal cans from the grocery. I remember thinking she had her own grocery down there."
"She sounds like my friend Jane!' laughed Matthew. "This older woman I know that keeps water cubes under her bed."
"Why Matthew Jones! How do you know what old women keep under their beds?" Asked Marie in a teasing tone, to Matthews embarrassment and great humor of everyone else.
"Come now my bride, continue your story! Matthew is very sensitive of his lady Jane! She is his surrogate mother." Luc said solemnly but with humor in his eyes.
"Well then, my apologies!" said Marie in a very unapologetic way. "To continue, what I am getting at is this. Since my grandmother lived completely off the grid. Kerosene lamps and refrigerator, wood heat and stove, as well as a cellar full of food. The winter that was crippling for everyone else was merely inconvenient, if that, to her. This sounds to me very much what your friend the doctor is saying, no?"
"I cannot tell a lie, It was Marie! She is quite a violent lady!" Luc lied shamelessly.
Marie mock slapped her husband. To which he replied, "Case in point! You are my witnesses to spousal abuse!"
"We are Marie's witnesses that you are not abused enough!" said John, moving inside the apartment so that the others could get in.
When everyone was inside, John asked Marie if she and Matthew had met, to which she answered, "No, but I assumed it was the Matthew who has joined you two troublemakers coterie."
"Luc you are a caveman!" John laughed. "Marie this is Matthew Jones, Matthew, Marie LePlant, she is married to the ugly guy in the blue shirt."
"And you wonder why I do not introduce her to my friends?" Luc said in mock exasperation. "One look at Matthew's rakish self, and she would leave me in moments!" He put one fist over his eyes and fake sighed.
Everyone laughed and Matthew could see by the light in Maries eyes when she looked at Luc, he was in no danger of loosing her. Marie was not tall, but carried herself as if she were. Confident and pretty in a young way that would become handsome rather than beautiful as she aged. The group settled themselves as John filled wine glasses. Then John picked up the phone and ordered some pizza and salad for delivery. When he finished the small talk led swiftly too the warnings Elijah Cummings had been espousing.
"You all seem very taken with him." Marie said. "I wish I had seen him myself."
"Ask and you shall receive." said John, reaching onto the side table to fetch his laptop. He launched his remote access software and handed the laptop to Luc. "It is on your machine right?"
Luc took the computer and logged in. The four watched a good part of the interview when the food arrived. Matthew was thankful for the cash in his pocket that let him pay his share of the meal. He was amazed how good it felt to pay such a small amount, how good it felt to pay his own way. And he smiled to himself how no one else in the room noticed his private thought.
After the delivery man left, the group finished the interview while silently eating. When the interview was over Matthew looked at Marie and asked,"Well Marie? What do you think?"
"I think my husband is an amazing cameraman!" she said with a smile.
John groaned and Luc cheered, but the heavy atmosphere in the room evaporated as everyone laughed.
"OK wise girl! What do you really think?" asked John, playfully shaking his fist.
"Well, this all brings to mind visiting my grandmother when I was little. She lived out in the bush. Not a bush John, I saw you open your mouth for a wise reply. In the wilderness of Northern Canada. We call it the bush. One winter had been very rough, and since my grandmother lived alone, my mother was very worried over her. Two times when we were headed out to check on her snow storms made the trip impossible." began Marie.
"Why didn't you just call her?" Matthew asked.
Marie put her hand on his shoulder and laughed. "My grandmother never owned a phone. Running a line up to her cabin was not something she could have afforded. Or wanted for that matter. At any rate, when they finally got there, my grandmother was suprised they were making a fuss, and was a little irritated at them about it. I remember my father laughing and telling me to help my grandmother make dinner. I started opening the bags of groceries we bought, but my grandmother stopped me, and said 'I was planing on elk tonight, I have been thinking about it all morning. We will eat what your folks brought tomorrow.' I went with her into the section of the basement she called 'the cold cellar' and was amazed at all the food she had there. Mostly home preserved, but also buckets of flour and sugar and lots of metal cans from the grocery. I remember thinking she had her own grocery down there."
"She sounds like my friend Jane!' laughed Matthew. "This older woman I know that keeps water cubes under her bed."
"Why Matthew Jones! How do you know what old women keep under their beds?" Asked Marie in a teasing tone, to Matthews embarrassment and great humor of everyone else.
"Come now my bride, continue your story! Matthew is very sensitive of his lady Jane! She is his surrogate mother." Luc said solemnly but with humor in his eyes.
"Well then, my apologies!" said Marie in a very unapologetic way. "To continue, what I am getting at is this. Since my grandmother lived completely off the grid. Kerosene lamps and refrigerator, wood heat and stove, as well as a cellar full of food. The winter that was crippling for everyone else was merely inconvenient, if that, to her. This sounds to me very much what your friend the doctor is saying, no?"
"I would say exactly the same, if for different reasons. said Matthew,
eager to keep the subject away from his relationship with Jane.
"I don't think it's so different." Said John. "Maries grandmother was stocked up so that life was easier no matter what happened. That is what Dr. Cummings said too."
"I will see you your 'easier' and raise you a 'possible'." said Luc. "She would never have been able to live in that environment, at that time without being as prepared as she was. Dr Cummings is saying it will soon be the same for us."
"Do you suggest we turn in our Frigidaire for a kerosene model my love?" Asked Marie with a wink.
"Not exactly. Well at least not yet." He returned.
"What! You are considering a kerosene refrigerator in the city!" Exclaimed Matthew.
"As I said. Not right away. I do not know enough about the subject. i am just trying to think like Dr. Cummings. First I would have to find out if they are still available. And if they are, are they legal in the city. Then How much are they. How much to run them. And can I get kerosene? You see. I have a question that I need answered myself. Not just use electric because that's what people do." Luc replied.
"I don't think it's so different." Said John. "Maries grandmother was stocked up so that life was easier no matter what happened. That is what Dr. Cummings said too."
"I will see you your 'easier' and raise you a 'possible'." said Luc. "She would never have been able to live in that environment, at that time without being as prepared as she was. Dr Cummings is saying it will soon be the same for us."
"Do you suggest we turn in our Frigidaire for a kerosene model my love?" Asked Marie with a wink.
"Not exactly. Well at least not yet." He returned.
"What! You are considering a kerosene refrigerator in the city!" Exclaimed Matthew.
"As I said. Not right away. I do not know enough about the subject. i am just trying to think like Dr. Cummings. First I would have to find out if they are still available. And if they are, are they legal in the city. Then How much are they. How much to run them. And can I get kerosene? You see. I have a question that I need answered myself. Not just use electric because that's what people do." Luc replied.
"What about all the canned stuff she had?" Asked John. "Here in the
city, who has room to do all that?" I barely have room in this place to
keep a few suits. I know Matthew has the same situation And Luc was
telling us that since his mother has been visiting, you guys are on top
of each other."
"It is worth it to be able to come and visit you for pizza without the baby trying to get her share." Laughed Marie. But you are right about space."
All of a sudden Matthew remembered his big news of the day. "I actually have more space than I did!" he laughed and told them his news.
"Ah that is the reason for the Cheshire cat grin before!" Luc said. "But this is great news, how could you have not told us? We must celebrate forthwith!" He refilled all their wine glasses and added, "With John's fine wine." He looked at the bottle and said, "Ah! Yesterday! That was a good year!"
John rolled his eyes and said," I didn't see you bring in any of that fine Canadian vintage! Beggers, choosing, need i say more?"
Everyone laughed and then Matthew told them of his conversation with Mr. Green.
"It is worth it to be able to come and visit you for pizza without the baby trying to get her share." Laughed Marie. But you are right about space."
All of a sudden Matthew remembered his big news of the day. "I actually have more space than I did!" he laughed and told them his news.
"Ah that is the reason for the Cheshire cat grin before!" Luc said. "But this is great news, how could you have not told us? We must celebrate forthwith!" He refilled all their wine glasses and added, "With John's fine wine." He looked at the bottle and said, "Ah! Yesterday! That was a good year!"
John rolled his eyes and said," I didn't see you bring in any of that fine Canadian vintage! Beggers, choosing, need i say more?"
Everyone laughed and then Matthew told them of his conversation with Mr. Green.
"I must say I am envious of you Matthew. " Marie said wistfully. "Our
apartment is much smaller than this one even. We have an efficiency.
Everything in a room smaller than the kitchen in the house I grew up in.
And since Luc's father died last year, his Mother shows up for weeks
at a time. Not that we mind. We all get along quite well thankfully.
But sleeping in the same room as your mother gets old quite quickly,
eh?"
"I bet!" Said Matthew. "You should rent my place. At least then you would have a separate bedroom."
"That is not a bad idea. You talk to your Mr. Green. Then we shall see if it works. We pay monthly where we are so there are no lease worries." Luc said cheerfully. "This might benefit more than you, this job of yours."
"Sounds good to me!" Said Matthew. "But I am still concerned about Dr. Cummings warnings. What are you guys gonna do about it?"
Luc and Marie looked at each other intently. Matthew would have sworn they had a telepathic conversation. After a moment they both relaxed and Luc said. "We take it seriously, no? Only a fool does not lend credence to an experts advice. However, we won't run scared to the hills. To me panic is just as bad. Dr Cummings kept saying 'Great Minds think for themselves!' So we think for ourselves."
"So what do you propose fearless leader?" Asked John.
"Simply we let Marie check Dr. Cummings facts and then we discuss them. Meantime, the three of us look into our own situations and try to see how to cut dead financial weight. Probably not a bad idea anyway. Then we see what the lovely Marie has found, and go from there. "
"Sounds like a plan. We should meet at Matthew's tomorrow night." Said John with a grin. "He makes amazing steaks!"
"Fine by me! As long as your buying the steaks!" Said Matthew.
"Done! If YOU bake bread." John returned.
"Are you two married? " Asked Luc shaking his head.
"Don't be a bully dear. " Chided Marie. " We will bring the wine and a salad. But I suggest another step as well. We have Luc's mother with us. I am going to ask her some questions and get her opinion on all these things. She has lived through a lot. Maybe her advice will help too? No?"
"That's a great idea." Said Matthew thinking of his lunch with Jane the next day. "We should all poll a few people to get a feeling of the zeitgeist of our community."
The friends all agreed and finished the bottle of wine discussing less weighty Matters.
"I bet!" Said Matthew. "You should rent my place. At least then you would have a separate bedroom."
"That is not a bad idea. You talk to your Mr. Green. Then we shall see if it works. We pay monthly where we are so there are no lease worries." Luc said cheerfully. "This might benefit more than you, this job of yours."
"Sounds good to me!" Said Matthew. "But I am still concerned about Dr. Cummings warnings. What are you guys gonna do about it?"
Luc and Marie looked at each other intently. Matthew would have sworn they had a telepathic conversation. After a moment they both relaxed and Luc said. "We take it seriously, no? Only a fool does not lend credence to an experts advice. However, we won't run scared to the hills. To me panic is just as bad. Dr Cummings kept saying 'Great Minds think for themselves!' So we think for ourselves."
"So what do you propose fearless leader?" Asked John.
"Simply we let Marie check Dr. Cummings facts and then we discuss them. Meantime, the three of us look into our own situations and try to see how to cut dead financial weight. Probably not a bad idea anyway. Then we see what the lovely Marie has found, and go from there. "
"Sounds like a plan. We should meet at Matthew's tomorrow night." Said John with a grin. "He makes amazing steaks!"
"Fine by me! As long as your buying the steaks!" Said Matthew.
"Done! If YOU bake bread." John returned.
"Are you two married? " Asked Luc shaking his head.
"Don't be a bully dear. " Chided Marie. " We will bring the wine and a salad. But I suggest another step as well. We have Luc's mother with us. I am going to ask her some questions and get her opinion on all these things. She has lived through a lot. Maybe her advice will help too? No?"
"That's a great idea." Said Matthew thinking of his lunch with Jane the next day. "We should all poll a few people to get a feeling of the zeitgeist of our community."
The friends all agreed and finished the bottle of wine discussing less weighty Matters.
The next morning Mr. Green was running late. When Matthew opened his
door to the knock, he did remember Mr. Green. But he didn't remember
him looking so haggard.
"Sorry I am late Matthew!" He said. "I just had the scariest experience I can remember."
"Are you Okay? Can I get you something?" Matthew said concerned.
"A glass of water would be greatly appreciated." Mr. Green said.
"Would you like to talk about what happened?" Matthew asked.
"Well nothing really happened to me, I just witnessed an event." Began Mr. Green. "I stopped at a bodega on the way here to get a cup of coffee. I was waiting in line, when a man grabbed a giant bag of rice off the shelf and ran out the door with it. The cashier grabbed his shirt as he went out the door, and the man stumbled. The cashier was on him in a second, pummeling him over and over. There was a lot of blood. I think if a policeman hadn't been driving by, he would have killed him. I guess I should have tried to stop it, but it was like I was frozen, watching." He took a large gulp of the water. "It was so intense. I am still trembling."
"Wow, New York is one of the safest cities in the world, that seems pretty unusual." Matthew said. "Thank goodness!"
"When I was giving my statement to the police the officer told me that shoplifting was rising quickly, nearly at an all time high." Said Mr. Green.
"I had no idea!" said Matthew.
"Neither did I!" Mr. Green replied. "The cop was so blase' about it. He said 'I guess the shop owners are getting tired of it' and he actually shrugged like it was no big deal. He gave me a couple of stat's which are quite scary. He told me more than 13 BILLION dollars worth of shoplifting happens a year. That's something like 35 MILLION a day in America alone. Also that 25% of shoplifters are kids and teens that only steal food and drink. and that the majority of all youth shoplifting has switched from CD's and perfume over to Deli foods! Can you imagine? Why aren't these kids parents feeding them. The cop told me one kid he had picked up this week had a loaf of bread a pound of bologna, and a liter of Coke down his pants. The cop laughed and said he was amazed he had gotten it all in his pants."
"Well I guess if your a New York cop you see so much you probably get jaded." Observed Matthew.
"Even still, I am worried about the kids in this city if they feel they need to steal food!" Mr. Green replied.
"The more I hear about our economy, the less I am surprised by stats like that." Answered Matthew, and told him a little bit about Dr. Cummings.
"Sorry I am late Matthew!" He said. "I just had the scariest experience I can remember."
"Are you Okay? Can I get you something?" Matthew said concerned.
"A glass of water would be greatly appreciated." Mr. Green said.
"Would you like to talk about what happened?" Matthew asked.
"Well nothing really happened to me, I just witnessed an event." Began Mr. Green. "I stopped at a bodega on the way here to get a cup of coffee. I was waiting in line, when a man grabbed a giant bag of rice off the shelf and ran out the door with it. The cashier grabbed his shirt as he went out the door, and the man stumbled. The cashier was on him in a second, pummeling him over and over. There was a lot of blood. I think if a policeman hadn't been driving by, he would have killed him. I guess I should have tried to stop it, but it was like I was frozen, watching." He took a large gulp of the water. "It was so intense. I am still trembling."
"Wow, New York is one of the safest cities in the world, that seems pretty unusual." Matthew said. "Thank goodness!"
"When I was giving my statement to the police the officer told me that shoplifting was rising quickly, nearly at an all time high." Said Mr. Green.
"I had no idea!" said Matthew.
"Neither did I!" Mr. Green replied. "The cop was so blase' about it. He said 'I guess the shop owners are getting tired of it' and he actually shrugged like it was no big deal. He gave me a couple of stat's which are quite scary. He told me more than 13 BILLION dollars worth of shoplifting happens a year. That's something like 35 MILLION a day in America alone. Also that 25% of shoplifters are kids and teens that only steal food and drink. and that the majority of all youth shoplifting has switched from CD's and perfume over to Deli foods! Can you imagine? Why aren't these kids parents feeding them. The cop told me one kid he had picked up this week had a loaf of bread a pound of bologna, and a liter of Coke down his pants. The cop laughed and said he was amazed he had gotten it all in his pants."
"Well I guess if your a New York cop you see so much you probably get jaded." Observed Matthew.
"Even still, I am worried about the kids in this city if they feel they need to steal food!" Mr. Green replied.
"The more I hear about our economy, the less I am surprised by stats like that." Answered Matthew, and told him a little bit about Dr. Cummings.
"I am going to check into this a bit more when I get back to the office.
I don't want to be caught with my pants down in a financial crisis. I
am too leveraged. Anyway, let's talk about your situation. Do you
have any questions, or would you like to see your new apartment and the
workings of the building?" Mr Green asked.
"I am sure I will have questions as we go, but not yet. Let's take a walk." Matthew said.
The two men walked down to the first floor and knocked on the super's apartment door. An older man opened it, and Matthew recognized him as the super he had seen once or twice since he had been here doing little things around the place. He had said hello, but never met the man since he had originally met with Mr. Green, and hadn't paid a month's rent since. Mr. Green introduced him as Laszlo. And they went inside. The inside was empty of furniture, and smelled of fresh paint. Laszlo said " I just finished painting the bedrooms, I will be out of here this afternoon. Thank you Matthew for deciding so quickly so I didn't have to give a long notice. My daughter is having financial problems in Florida, so I am moving down to take care of her children so she can get a full time job. Time is of the essence for her. Do you have any questions for me?"
"Not right now, but I might in the future. Is there a way for me to get in touch with you in Florida?" Matthew asked.
"Way ahead of you Matthew." Laszlo said handing him a ring of keys, and a card with an address and several phone numbers. "Let me show you around your new 'work' area."
"I am sure I will have questions as we go, but not yet. Let's take a walk." Matthew said.
The two men walked down to the first floor and knocked on the super's apartment door. An older man opened it, and Matthew recognized him as the super he had seen once or twice since he had been here doing little things around the place. He had said hello, but never met the man since he had originally met with Mr. Green, and hadn't paid a month's rent since. Mr. Green introduced him as Laszlo. And they went inside. The inside was empty of furniture, and smelled of fresh paint. Laszlo said " I just finished painting the bedrooms, I will be out of here this afternoon. Thank you Matthew for deciding so quickly so I didn't have to give a long notice. My daughter is having financial problems in Florida, so I am moving down to take care of her children so she can get a full time job. Time is of the essence for her. Do you have any questions for me?"
"Not right now, but I might in the future. Is there a way for me to get in touch with you in Florida?" Matthew asked.
"Way ahead of you Matthew." Laszlo said handing him a ring of keys, and a card with an address and several phone numbers. "Let me show you around your new 'work' area."
Laszlo showed Matthew the apartment first. It was Much bigger than
Matthew's single bedroom. "This is the largest apartment in the
building, and it has a back entrance. The back door leads to the
hallway that opens to the garage and laundry room on one side, and the
boiler room and tool crib on the other."
"I have never been past the laundry room. I don't have a space in the garage because of the waiting list." replied Matthew. "I don't even have a car anymore. I guess we can give this spot to someone who is waiting."
"I don't think we should." Said Mr. Green. "A reserved and free parking space in the city is a huge perk. And while I am sure you are going to stay with us for a good long time, for what we pay, we need it to attract supers!"
The three men chuckled and moved on down the hall. Matthew was amazed at the tools in the locked workroom. "The super before me was also a handyman, so the management company bought him a lot of stuff to fix up the various buildings. It is illegal now, but you will be amazed at how useful a large supply of tools are. The tenants have NO access to this room. These tools are valuable and well cared for. If 30 apartments have access to them, they will be broken, destroyed, missing, or just ruined within a month's time." Laszlo said.
They walked through the utility room, and Matthew saw clipboard's hanging above the various water heaters, boilers, breaker boxes, and circuit boards. He commented and Laszlo answered "The various workmen keep all the notes on the equipment on the clipboards, they also attach a copy of the invoices. Every once in a while the accounts payable office will call you or some information, that makes it easy to find. You should also check the clipboards once in a while to be sure scheduled maintenance has been done."
"That sounds easy enough." said Matthew. He noticed a padlocked door, and asked what was in it.
"That used to be the tenant's storage cages, but we stopped using them a few years back because of a theft issue. " Answered Laszlo.
"You stored the tenants in cages?" asked Matthew.
"No, you haven't lived in the city long have you? There are several cages in this room that tenants could rent to store things in. They could put their own locks on the doors. But after a series of thefts it was easier for us to just end the practice than deal with the drama. All the cages are empty now. He said unlocking the door.
"I have never been past the laundry room. I don't have a space in the garage because of the waiting list." replied Matthew. "I don't even have a car anymore. I guess we can give this spot to someone who is waiting."
"I don't think we should." Said Mr. Green. "A reserved and free parking space in the city is a huge perk. And while I am sure you are going to stay with us for a good long time, for what we pay, we need it to attract supers!"
The three men chuckled and moved on down the hall. Matthew was amazed at the tools in the locked workroom. "The super before me was also a handyman, so the management company bought him a lot of stuff to fix up the various buildings. It is illegal now, but you will be amazed at how useful a large supply of tools are. The tenants have NO access to this room. These tools are valuable and well cared for. If 30 apartments have access to them, they will be broken, destroyed, missing, or just ruined within a month's time." Laszlo said.
They walked through the utility room, and Matthew saw clipboard's hanging above the various water heaters, boilers, breaker boxes, and circuit boards. He commented and Laszlo answered "The various workmen keep all the notes on the equipment on the clipboards, they also attach a copy of the invoices. Every once in a while the accounts payable office will call you or some information, that makes it easy to find. You should also check the clipboards once in a while to be sure scheduled maintenance has been done."
"That sounds easy enough." said Matthew. He noticed a padlocked door, and asked what was in it.
"That used to be the tenant's storage cages, but we stopped using them a few years back because of a theft issue. " Answered Laszlo.
"You stored the tenants in cages?" asked Matthew.
"No, you haven't lived in the city long have you? There are several cages in this room that tenants could rent to store things in. They could put their own locks on the doors. But after a series of thefts it was easier for us to just end the practice than deal with the drama. All the cages are empty now. He said unlocking the door.
With the door open Matthew could see 5 or 6 lockers made from chain link
fencing running down either side of the room, each had it's own gate
with holes for padlocks. "I am surprised you don't use this space for
anything." Matthew commented. "My friends were just talking about not
having space for storage. Which reminds me, they may want to rent my
space when I move downstairs."
"Sounds good to me, have them fill out the reference sheets and credit app from the desk in the utility room, and we will get them in. And if you want to rent out these lockers, you can. Just don't advertise generically to the building about it. Be picky. For one thing, there are not enough for everyone to have one. And for another we do not want to deal with the theft situation again." Mr Green said.
"Sounds good to me, have them fill out the reference sheets and credit app from the desk in the utility room, and we will get them in. And if you want to rent out these lockers, you can. Just don't advertise generically to the building about it. Be picky. For one thing, there are not enough for everyone to have one. And for another we do not want to deal with the theft situation again." Mr Green said.
"I will do my best Mr. Green." said Matthew.
"Please call me Tad, you are making me feel respectable." Mr Green Chuckled.
"Certainly." said Matthew. "But I have a question. If I rent one of these cages, what is the cost? And will there be any paperwork?"
"I guess you should see what the market says. Money is tight right now for folks, and it is gravy for us. I'm sure whatever you get will be fine. Just keep it consistent for everyone. There are forms for them in one of the drawers of that desk. They are from a few years ago. See what we charged for them then, and use the same forms. I'm sure it is a reasonable number." Was his reply.
"The master code for any combination's is 7351. It is also your code for the garage door." Said Laszlo. "If anyone needs a code change, or a new code just call the office they do it there. Now if there are no more questions. I am for the train. It was a pleasure meeting you Matthew and good luck." With that he shook their hands and was off.
"We do have one more task." said Mr. Green. "I have to bring you by the Bank and the Hardware to introduce you, and put you on the hardware account so you can sign for things." He led the way up the street.
The bank took minutes as he was not going to be signing on the account. It was more a formality. Then they walked up to the hardware store. When they walked in Ben looked up from a catalog and smiled at them. He grabbed Matthew's shoulder and said "Hey Matthew what is shaking? Hello Mr. Green, is Matthew trying to sell you a cookin' rock?"
"Hello Ben, I don't actually know about the cooking rocks, but I will look at them. I am here to get Matthew onto our signatory account. He is going to super his building for us." Mr Green answered.
"Well let's take care of that first, then we will show you our Cookin Rocks!"
Ben replied cheerfully.
Paperwork finished, Ben sold Mr. Green a stone, and made Matthew promise to come by more often. The two men left the store, and Mr. Green asked Matthew if he minded walking back on his own as he was still running late for the day and wanted to catch a cab. Matthew didn't mind as he was close to the park and could just walk over to wait for Jane.
They shook hands and parted.
"Please call me Tad, you are making me feel respectable." Mr Green Chuckled.
"Certainly." said Matthew. "But I have a question. If I rent one of these cages, what is the cost? And will there be any paperwork?"
"I guess you should see what the market says. Money is tight right now for folks, and it is gravy for us. I'm sure whatever you get will be fine. Just keep it consistent for everyone. There are forms for them in one of the drawers of that desk. They are from a few years ago. See what we charged for them then, and use the same forms. I'm sure it is a reasonable number." Was his reply.
"The master code for any combination's is 7351. It is also your code for the garage door." Said Laszlo. "If anyone needs a code change, or a new code just call the office they do it there. Now if there are no more questions. I am for the train. It was a pleasure meeting you Matthew and good luck." With that he shook their hands and was off.
"We do have one more task." said Mr. Green. "I have to bring you by the Bank and the Hardware to introduce you, and put you on the hardware account so you can sign for things." He led the way up the street.
The bank took minutes as he was not going to be signing on the account. It was more a formality. Then they walked up to the hardware store. When they walked in Ben looked up from a catalog and smiled at them. He grabbed Matthew's shoulder and said "Hey Matthew what is shaking? Hello Mr. Green, is Matthew trying to sell you a cookin' rock?"
"Hello Ben, I don't actually know about the cooking rocks, but I will look at them. I am here to get Matthew onto our signatory account. He is going to super his building for us." Mr Green answered.
"Well let's take care of that first, then we will show you our Cookin Rocks!"
Ben replied cheerfully.
Paperwork finished, Ben sold Mr. Green a stone, and made Matthew promise to come by more often. The two men left the store, and Mr. Green asked Matthew if he minded walking back on his own as he was still running late for the day and wanted to catch a cab. Matthew didn't mind as he was close to the park and could just walk over to wait for Jane.
They shook hands and parted.
When Matthew reached the park, he walked towards where the chess tables
were set up. He watched a father pushing a child on the swings as he
passed the playground. He wondered if the father was worried about
bringing up a child in the world as it stood. He decided probably not.
He probably wouldn't have had the child if he was all that worried.
Somehow that made him feel better about the world. For all Matthew
knew, the man might have a whole room full of food and gold coins. He
waved at them as he walked by and the man smiled and gave a half wave as
he pushed the swing.
Matthew sat at a cement Chess table and watched the game next to him as he waited for Jane. She wasn't long in coming. She smiled when she saw him and said. "One of the best parts about my friend Matthew is that he doesn't keep me waiting!" She gave him a one armed hug and handed him the cloth shopping bag she had, saying, "Help and old lady out sir, I hope your hungry."
"Famished! And you better let me carry that. But, I thought you were bringing a friend?" Matthew asked taking the bag as she took his other arm and began walking further down the line of chess tables.
"He is probably already here." she said. "Ah yes, right over there. Come on he is a trip."
She led him to where an distinguished older man sat playing a younger man who was wearing a grimace. "Why Colonel Sebastian Whinks, fancy meeting you here." She said clasping his shoulder.
"My Lady Jane!" He exclaimed. "I shall defeat young Colin here in your honor." He made a move and said. "Check Mate lad."
The young man smiled and said, "I will get you next week Colonel!" smiled and excused himself.
Matthew sat at a cement Chess table and watched the game next to him as he waited for Jane. She wasn't long in coming. She smiled when she saw him and said. "One of the best parts about my friend Matthew is that he doesn't keep me waiting!" She gave him a one armed hug and handed him the cloth shopping bag she had, saying, "Help and old lady out sir, I hope your hungry."
"Famished! And you better let me carry that. But, I thought you were bringing a friend?" Matthew asked taking the bag as she took his other arm and began walking further down the line of chess tables.
"He is probably already here." she said. "Ah yes, right over there. Come on he is a trip."
She led him to where an distinguished older man sat playing a younger man who was wearing a grimace. "Why Colonel Sebastian Whinks, fancy meeting you here." She said clasping his shoulder.
"My Lady Jane!" He exclaimed. "I shall defeat young Colin here in your honor." He made a move and said. "Check Mate lad."
The young man smiled and said, "I will get you next week Colonel!" smiled and excused himself.
"Colonel, this is my friend Matthew I was telling you about. I thought
you two should meet. Matthew this is my good friend Colonel Sebastian
Whinks. US Army, Retired. But everyone just calls him Colonel." Jane
said, punctuating by waving her hand at each as the introductions were
made.
"I am pleased to meet any of young Jane here's friends." He said gripping Matthew's offered hand firmly without being overpowering. "Are you in class with her?" He winked at Matthew.
"Knock it off you horrible flirt!" Exclaimed Jane, whose eyes showed she did not mind it in the least.
"Well I sort of am in class with her, she has taught me a lot sir." said Matthew with a smile. "And I am very pleased to meet you too."
"Ah, Manners! Bravo boy, Bravo!" The colonel said motioning the two to sit down.
"I hope your hungry Colonel, I made you watercress and turkey. I think I remember you saying you liked them. Was I mistaken?" Jane asked.
"You weren't, you weren't. I can't get enough of them." He smiled at her.
"And for dessert, home made molasses cookies." Jane said proudly unpacking them.
"Mole WHAT?" Exclaimed the colonel, surreptitiously winking at Matthew. "You made cookies from the hind quarters of a rodent? How Novel! But the name needs work... what about Mole Hieni cookies. There that will suit the children better."
"You are shameless!" said Jane, beaming at Matthew.
Matthew laughed, enjoying their byplay. If they both weren't so obviously including him he would have felt the third wheel and excused himself. But he was comfortable enough to include himself in the conversation as they enjoyed their lunch together.
"So how long ago did you retire Colonel?" Matthew asked at one point.
"Hundreds of years ago, Matthew my boy." He answered.
Matthew noticed that whenever times or dates came up in conversation as they got to know each other the Colonel would exaggerate them by leaps and bounds. It was an amusing peccadillo.
Eventually, after an hour or so, Jane excused herself and Matthew, after asking him if he would mind walking her home. He agreed and the two of them left the Colonel challenging an older gentlemen he obviously knew well to a game.
"I am pleased to meet any of young Jane here's friends." He said gripping Matthew's offered hand firmly without being overpowering. "Are you in class with her?" He winked at Matthew.
"Knock it off you horrible flirt!" Exclaimed Jane, whose eyes showed she did not mind it in the least.
"Well I sort of am in class with her, she has taught me a lot sir." said Matthew with a smile. "And I am very pleased to meet you too."
"Ah, Manners! Bravo boy, Bravo!" The colonel said motioning the two to sit down.
"I hope your hungry Colonel, I made you watercress and turkey. I think I remember you saying you liked them. Was I mistaken?" Jane asked.
"You weren't, you weren't. I can't get enough of them." He smiled at her.
"And for dessert, home made molasses cookies." Jane said proudly unpacking them.
"Mole WHAT?" Exclaimed the colonel, surreptitiously winking at Matthew. "You made cookies from the hind quarters of a rodent? How Novel! But the name needs work... what about Mole Hieni cookies. There that will suit the children better."
"You are shameless!" said Jane, beaming at Matthew.
Matthew laughed, enjoying their byplay. If they both weren't so obviously including him he would have felt the third wheel and excused himself. But he was comfortable enough to include himself in the conversation as they enjoyed their lunch together.
"So how long ago did you retire Colonel?" Matthew asked at one point.
"Hundreds of years ago, Matthew my boy." He answered.
Matthew noticed that whenever times or dates came up in conversation as they got to know each other the Colonel would exaggerate them by leaps and bounds. It was an amusing peccadillo.
Eventually, after an hour or so, Jane excused herself and Matthew, after asking him if he would mind walking her home. He agreed and the two of them left the Colonel challenging an older gentlemen he obviously knew well to a game.
"Colonel, this is my friend Matthew I was telling you about. I thought
you two should meet. Matthew this is my good friend Colonel Sebastian
Whinks. US Army, Retired. But everyone just calls him Colonel." Jane
said, punctuating by waving her hand at each as the introductions were
made.
"I am pleased to meet any of young Jane here's friends." He said gripping Matthew's offered hand firmly without being overpowering. "Are you in class with her?" He winked at Matthew.
"Knock it off you horrible flirt!" Exclaimed Jane, whose eyes showed she did not mind it in the least.
"Well I sort of am in class with her, she has taught me a lot sir." said Matthew with a smile. "And I am very pleased to meet you too."
"Ah, Manners! Bravo boy, Bravo!" The colonel said motioning the two to sit down.
"I hope your hungry Colonel, I made you watercress and turkey. I think I remember you saying you liked them. Was I mistaken?" Jane asked.
"You weren't, you weren't. I can't get enough of them." He smiled at her.
"And for dessert, home made molasses cookies." Jane said proudly unpacking them.
"Mole WHAT?" Exclaimed the colonel, surreptitiously winking at Matthew. "You made cookies from the hind quarters of a rodent? How Novel! But the name needs work... what about Mole Hieni cookies. There that will suit the children better."
"You are shameless!" said Jane, beaming at Matthew.
Matthew laughed, enjoying their byplay. If they both weren't so obviously including him he would have felt the third wheel and excused himself. But he was comfortable enough to include himself in the conversation as they enjoyed their lunch together.
"So how long ago did you retire Colonel?" Matthew asked at one point.
"Hundreds of years ago, Matthew my boy." He answered.
Matthew noticed that whenever times or dates came up in conversation as they got to know each other the Colonel would exaggerate them by leaps and bounds. It was an amusing peccadillo.
Eventually, after an hour or so, Jane excused herself and Matthew, after asking him if he would mind walking her home. He agreed and the two of them left the Colonel challenging an older gentlemen he obviously knew well to a game.
"I am pleased to meet any of young Jane here's friends." He said gripping Matthew's offered hand firmly without being overpowering. "Are you in class with her?" He winked at Matthew.
"Knock it off you horrible flirt!" Exclaimed Jane, whose eyes showed she did not mind it in the least.
"Well I sort of am in class with her, she has taught me a lot sir." said Matthew with a smile. "And I am very pleased to meet you too."
"Ah, Manners! Bravo boy, Bravo!" The colonel said motioning the two to sit down.
"I hope your hungry Colonel, I made you watercress and turkey. I think I remember you saying you liked them. Was I mistaken?" Jane asked.
"You weren't, you weren't. I can't get enough of them." He smiled at her.
"And for dessert, home made molasses cookies." Jane said proudly unpacking them.
"Mole WHAT?" Exclaimed the colonel, surreptitiously winking at Matthew. "You made cookies from the hind quarters of a rodent? How Novel! But the name needs work... what about Mole Hieni cookies. There that will suit the children better."
"You are shameless!" said Jane, beaming at Matthew.
Matthew laughed, enjoying their byplay. If they both weren't so obviously including him he would have felt the third wheel and excused himself. But he was comfortable enough to include himself in the conversation as they enjoyed their lunch together.
"So how long ago did you retire Colonel?" Matthew asked at one point.
"Hundreds of years ago, Matthew my boy." He answered.
Matthew noticed that whenever times or dates came up in conversation as they got to know each other the Colonel would exaggerate them by leaps and bounds. It was an amusing peccadillo.
Eventually, after an hour or so, Jane excused herself and Matthew, after asking him if he would mind walking her home. He agreed and the two of them left the Colonel challenging an older gentlemen he obviously knew well to a game.
"Well, what do you think of the Colonel?"
Asked Jane as they walked arm in arm out of the park. Matthew carrying
the now empty bag.
"I think he is a riot. You were right. Thank you for introducing us." Matthew said, and then added slyly, "I think he likes you." in a teasing voice.
"Matthew Jones, you be quiet!" she said slapping him lightly with her free hand. "Really, I'm an old lady." But she was positively glowing.
After they had walked a bit speaking of nothing in particular, Jane said, "You know, there was a reason I introduced you. Did you happen to notice how the Colonel avoids date's and times?"
"I did. It was especially funny when he said he left New York Military to go to West Point a thousand odd years ago." Matthew replied.
"Well, he makes it humorous because he is positively charged." Said Jane in a serious tone. "But, it stems from a serious problem. The colonel suffered a serious brain trauma in the original Gulf War. A piece of shrapnel is still lodged in his brain. Because of it, he has no sense of time, other than night and day. And only that if he is near a window. An hour or a second means the same to him. He also has trouble with time concepts such as dates, days of the week, and the order of his own historical memories. His sleep center is also misaligned so that sometimes he will be awake for days, other times he will sleep for hours wake up for minutes and then go back to bed."
"Wow, I would have had no idea!" Said Matthew. "If you hadn't told me."
"Well he is completely normal in all other regards." Said Jane. "And quite a formidable man. I wouldn't even have mentioned it, but I think you two might be able to help each other."
"How do you mean?" asked Matthew.
"Well, because of his injury. He can't live alone according to the V.A. They want him in managed care. At the V.A. hospital home. He hates it there. Well I use the word hate because I don't know a stronger one. And his current situation is ending." Jane Paused. "The V.A. pays a small monthly stipend for people who want to live in private care, but it is not much."
"Would you like me to help him find a place?" asked Matthew. "I would be happy to."
"Matthew honestly. You are so innocent." Said Jane, squeezing the arm she was holding. "I know your not making much right now. So if you applied to take the Colonel on, they would pay the stipend to you. That would help you pay your rent, and keep the colonel out of the V.A. home and, well, near all his friends." She blushed as she continued. "I know you only have a one bedroom. But at his last house, he slept on a sofa bed. And he spends most of his time out doing things. I thought it might be helpful for both of you." She finished nervously.
"Hmmm." said Matthew. "What if I moved into a new place so he could have his own bedroom and bathroom? I know a three bedroom two bath place in my building. But we would have to get together again before I agreed to it. I wasn't evaluating him as a room mate at lunch."
"Matthew, when I said a stipend I meant it. I don't think it would pay for rent on a three bedroom place." She said.
Matthew slipped his arm out of hers and around her shoulders, gave her a slight squeeze, and said, " I have my ways, Jane my dear."
He told her his story about becoming the super. Jane exclaimed on how wonderful and fortuitous it was. Then asked when he was moving. "Probably tomorrow." He said. "It was painted today, so I want to let it dry a bit. And I have to work tonight."
"Well how about I get the Colonel to come and help move you. Then we can see if your amenable to the situation. If you are, we will break it to him over a beer, and see what he says." Jane said hopefully.
"Sounds like a plan." Said Matthew, and the two walked companionably the rest of the block to Jane's building.
"I think he is a riot. You were right. Thank you for introducing us." Matthew said, and then added slyly, "I think he likes you." in a teasing voice.
"Matthew Jones, you be quiet!" she said slapping him lightly with her free hand. "Really, I'm an old lady." But she was positively glowing.
After they had walked a bit speaking of nothing in particular, Jane said, "You know, there was a reason I introduced you. Did you happen to notice how the Colonel avoids date's and times?"
"I did. It was especially funny when he said he left New York Military to go to West Point a thousand odd years ago." Matthew replied.
"Well, he makes it humorous because he is positively charged." Said Jane in a serious tone. "But, it stems from a serious problem. The colonel suffered a serious brain trauma in the original Gulf War. A piece of shrapnel is still lodged in his brain. Because of it, he has no sense of time, other than night and day. And only that if he is near a window. An hour or a second means the same to him. He also has trouble with time concepts such as dates, days of the week, and the order of his own historical memories. His sleep center is also misaligned so that sometimes he will be awake for days, other times he will sleep for hours wake up for minutes and then go back to bed."
"Wow, I would have had no idea!" Said Matthew. "If you hadn't told me."
"Well he is completely normal in all other regards." Said Jane. "And quite a formidable man. I wouldn't even have mentioned it, but I think you two might be able to help each other."
"How do you mean?" asked Matthew.
"Well, because of his injury. He can't live alone according to the V.A. They want him in managed care. At the V.A. hospital home. He hates it there. Well I use the word hate because I don't know a stronger one. And his current situation is ending." Jane Paused. "The V.A. pays a small monthly stipend for people who want to live in private care, but it is not much."
"Would you like me to help him find a place?" asked Matthew. "I would be happy to."
"Matthew honestly. You are so innocent." Said Jane, squeezing the arm she was holding. "I know your not making much right now. So if you applied to take the Colonel on, they would pay the stipend to you. That would help you pay your rent, and keep the colonel out of the V.A. home and, well, near all his friends." She blushed as she continued. "I know you only have a one bedroom. But at his last house, he slept on a sofa bed. And he spends most of his time out doing things. I thought it might be helpful for both of you." She finished nervously.
"Hmmm." said Matthew. "What if I moved into a new place so he could have his own bedroom and bathroom? I know a three bedroom two bath place in my building. But we would have to get together again before I agreed to it. I wasn't evaluating him as a room mate at lunch."
"Matthew, when I said a stipend I meant it. I don't think it would pay for rent on a three bedroom place." She said.
Matthew slipped his arm out of hers and around her shoulders, gave her a slight squeeze, and said, " I have my ways, Jane my dear."
He told her his story about becoming the super. Jane exclaimed on how wonderful and fortuitous it was. Then asked when he was moving. "Probably tomorrow." He said. "It was painted today, so I want to let it dry a bit. And I have to work tonight."
"Well how about I get the Colonel to come and help move you. Then we can see if your amenable to the situation. If you are, we will break it to him over a beer, and see what he says." Jane said hopefully.
"Sounds like a plan." Said Matthew, and the two walked companionably the rest of the block to Jane's building.
Matthew saw Jane to the front door of her building. After giving her
the empty shopping bag, he made sure she knew where and when to meet him
for the move. He turned to leave, and then spun back, to her saying,
"I almost forgot. What do you think is going to happen in our economy?"
"What? What do you mean? That is kind of a broad question. Where are you going with this?"Jane asked with a half smile.
Matthew gave the Reader's Digest version of the discussions he had been having with his friends, and the interviews with Dr. Cummings.
"This is a bit of a deep subject for the door stoop... would you like to step in for some coffee? Or are you in a hurry?" She asked.
"I would love a cup of coffee. I have some time before I am due at the studio. Thank You." Matthew said.
The two walked in the main door, and Matthew realized she had a town house. Two floors at least to herself. He couldn't help but ask why she hadn't invited the Colonel to stay with her. "Matthew! I am a lady! What would my granddaughter say if I told her I gave her room over to a single man? Really!" She laughed out loud.
The two friends sat in Jane's kitchen, bantering back and forth about the economy, and it's obvious decline. Jane also told stories she had heard from her older sister and mother about life in the depression. She was too little to remember any of it for herself.
By the end of an hour, Matthew was sure she needed to be in the group that night to share her insights, rather than trying to filter it back to the group.
He invited, she accepted. He made his goodbye, and caught the bus to the studio. On the bus he was laughing at how much had happened in just 24 hours. He had gotten a job, a new home, and a possible room mate. It brought home how subject to change his life was. This time it was positive. It could just have easily gone the other way. That thought was sobering. He determined to make his situation as secure as possible, as quickly as possible. The bus stopped at the corner across from the studio, and he hopped off and determinedly walked inside.
"What? What do you mean? That is kind of a broad question. Where are you going with this?"Jane asked with a half smile.
Matthew gave the Reader's Digest version of the discussions he had been having with his friends, and the interviews with Dr. Cummings.
"This is a bit of a deep subject for the door stoop... would you like to step in for some coffee? Or are you in a hurry?" She asked.
"I would love a cup of coffee. I have some time before I am due at the studio. Thank You." Matthew said.
The two walked in the main door, and Matthew realized she had a town house. Two floors at least to herself. He couldn't help but ask why she hadn't invited the Colonel to stay with her. "Matthew! I am a lady! What would my granddaughter say if I told her I gave her room over to a single man? Really!" She laughed out loud.
The two friends sat in Jane's kitchen, bantering back and forth about the economy, and it's obvious decline. Jane also told stories she had heard from her older sister and mother about life in the depression. She was too little to remember any of it for herself.
By the end of an hour, Matthew was sure she needed to be in the group that night to share her insights, rather than trying to filter it back to the group.
He invited, she accepted. He made his goodbye, and caught the bus to the studio. On the bus he was laughing at how much had happened in just 24 hours. He had gotten a job, a new home, and a possible room mate. It brought home how subject to change his life was. This time it was positive. It could just have easily gone the other way. That thought was sobering. He determined to make his situation as secure as possible, as quickly as possible. The bus stopped at the corner across from the studio, and he hopped off and determinedly walked inside.
When Matthew walked in the studio's main door, Mark was leaving a woman
he had been in conversation with. He took one look at Matthew's
determined expression and asked. "Who's butt are we kicking?"
Matthew laughed and said, " My own I guess. I am determined to get out of my own way. That saying finally makes sense to me."
"Ahh, a convert. To what I don't know, good luck with that." Mark winked and headed off down the hall.
Matthew found John in the editing room and told him he had invited Jane. John said that Luc's mother was coming as well. And that the more the merrier. "After all it is your apartment not mine." John finished laughingly.
"That's good coming from the guy who is buying the steaks!" Matthew returned cheerfully.
"Touche'!" Replied his friend.
Matthew told John about his possible new room mate, and John suggested inviting the Colonel as well. Matthew thought that would be a good idea and sat down at the Macintosh that John had been using to shoot an email to Jane.
Luc stuck his head in at that moment and grabbed Matthew to help him in another studio with a sound job. After finishing that, Matthew raced himself through his cleaning route. He was trying to leave with John so they could talk on the way. Matthew need not have rushed as he ended up waiting nearly twenty minutes for his friend to finish up an edit he was working on. While he waited, he checked his email and saw a note from Jane that she would be bringing the Colonel as well. She also mentioned she would bring a dessert. Matthew replied that he would warn any moles to watch their asses as John stood behind him.
"I'm not even going to ask about THAT conversation." John said. "Are you ready to hit the grocery?"
"I have been waiting for YOU slick!" Matthew said.
The two men headed out the door. Each quietly in his own thought bubble as they walked to the bus.
When they got out at the store, John said. "Wow prices ARE going up here. I am beginning to worry a little."
"Don't worry yet!" said Matthew "Wait till dinner so we can all worry together."
John laughed and they headed back to the meat department.
Matthew laughed and said, " My own I guess. I am determined to get out of my own way. That saying finally makes sense to me."
"Ahh, a convert. To what I don't know, good luck with that." Mark winked and headed off down the hall.
Matthew found John in the editing room and told him he had invited Jane. John said that Luc's mother was coming as well. And that the more the merrier. "After all it is your apartment not mine." John finished laughingly.
"That's good coming from the guy who is buying the steaks!" Matthew returned cheerfully.
"Touche'!" Replied his friend.
Matthew told John about his possible new room mate, and John suggested inviting the Colonel as well. Matthew thought that would be a good idea and sat down at the Macintosh that John had been using to shoot an email to Jane.
Luc stuck his head in at that moment and grabbed Matthew to help him in another studio with a sound job. After finishing that, Matthew raced himself through his cleaning route. He was trying to leave with John so they could talk on the way. Matthew need not have rushed as he ended up waiting nearly twenty minutes for his friend to finish up an edit he was working on. While he waited, he checked his email and saw a note from Jane that she would be bringing the Colonel as well. She also mentioned she would bring a dessert. Matthew replied that he would warn any moles to watch their asses as John stood behind him.
"I'm not even going to ask about THAT conversation." John said. "Are you ready to hit the grocery?"
"I have been waiting for YOU slick!" Matthew said.
The two men headed out the door. Each quietly in his own thought bubble as they walked to the bus.
When they got out at the store, John said. "Wow prices ARE going up here. I am beginning to worry a little."
"Don't worry yet!" said Matthew "Wait till dinner so we can all worry together."
John laughed and they headed back to the meat department.
The two friends grabbed a family pack of steaks and started walking
home. John was subdued. Matthew stopped and put his hand on his
friends shoulder. "What wrong?" John asked, looking around to see why
Matthew had stopped.
"You look like you are heading down a path I narrowly avoided." Said Matthew.
"What are you talking about?" asked John, looking at Matthew quizzically.
"You have been fretting, and worrying all day." Said Matthew. "It's not going to get you anything but ulcers. You are worried about this big UNKNOWN. Some maybe. It could be anything in the whole wide world. You can't fight that. You will end up with an ulcer and paranoid."
"It's not anything in the whole wide world Matthew you dork! It's the economy. That trip into the market just now heightened it for me is all." John replied.
"Oh- just the economy. Thank you for narrowing it down. John I went through a divorce. I KNOW what depression brings. It isn't anything you want. Look- If you knew a hurricane was coming, would you be depressed, worried all day and night, and forget your an outgoing guy because all you do is brood?" Matthew asked.
"No, I would get some candles, water, food and batteries. Then I would tape the windows- done. What does that have to do with this?" John asked.
"I think it is the same thing. You know what MIGHT happen, so you prepare for it if it is a hurricane, because you know what you need to counter the eventualities that come with it. I think it's the same here." Matthew paused, "How do you feel when you are getting ready for a hurricane?"
"I guess a little excited, a little scared. But that is different, don't you think?" John replied.
"Only in scale. You know the hurricane might miss us, but you still prepare. That is the same thing. Just a different eventuality. Bigger yes, but we can figure out what might happen and prepare just the same." Said Matthew, squeezing John's shoulder then letting it go. "You see what I mean?"
"You know you are right. I was worrying myself sick over some big calamity, instead of just figuring out what I needed to do- I know that's what tonight is supposed to be, but I was going through the motions in a scared way rather than a 'let's get it done' way and it was really eating at me." John laughed. "Like being scared of a bully on the way home from school rather than just dealing with it."
"That's what I mean."Matthew said. "There is no need for that, it's useless emotion rather than constructive emotion."
"That's pretty astute MattyBoy!" said John. "You are a good friend to have noticed."
"I have to be honest, it was only because I went through the exact same thing this morning. I just think constructive preparation is much better than fearful preparation." Matthew replied. The two friends continued walking. This time John had a little more pep and they enjoyed a light banter all the way back to their building.
"You look like you are heading down a path I narrowly avoided." Said Matthew.
"What are you talking about?" asked John, looking at Matthew quizzically.
"You have been fretting, and worrying all day." Said Matthew. "It's not going to get you anything but ulcers. You are worried about this big UNKNOWN. Some maybe. It could be anything in the whole wide world. You can't fight that. You will end up with an ulcer and paranoid."
"It's not anything in the whole wide world Matthew you dork! It's the economy. That trip into the market just now heightened it for me is all." John replied.
"Oh- just the economy. Thank you for narrowing it down. John I went through a divorce. I KNOW what depression brings. It isn't anything you want. Look- If you knew a hurricane was coming, would you be depressed, worried all day and night, and forget your an outgoing guy because all you do is brood?" Matthew asked.
"No, I would get some candles, water, food and batteries. Then I would tape the windows- done. What does that have to do with this?" John asked.
"I think it is the same thing. You know what MIGHT happen, so you prepare for it if it is a hurricane, because you know what you need to counter the eventualities that come with it. I think it's the same here." Matthew paused, "How do you feel when you are getting ready for a hurricane?"
"I guess a little excited, a little scared. But that is different, don't you think?" John replied.
"Only in scale. You know the hurricane might miss us, but you still prepare. That is the same thing. Just a different eventuality. Bigger yes, but we can figure out what might happen and prepare just the same." Said Matthew, squeezing John's shoulder then letting it go. "You see what I mean?"
"You know you are right. I was worrying myself sick over some big calamity, instead of just figuring out what I needed to do- I know that's what tonight is supposed to be, but I was going through the motions in a scared way rather than a 'let's get it done' way and it was really eating at me." John laughed. "Like being scared of a bully on the way home from school rather than just dealing with it."
"That's what I mean."Matthew said. "There is no need for that, it's useless emotion rather than constructive emotion."
"That's pretty astute MattyBoy!" said John. "You are a good friend to have noticed."
"I have to be honest, it was only because I went through the exact same thing this morning. I just think constructive preparation is much better than fearful preparation." Matthew replied. The two friends continued walking. This time John had a little more pep and they enjoyed a light banter all the way back to their building.
When they reached their building, they both went to Matthew's apartment.
Matthew instructed John to open the refrigerator and take out the
dough he had rising in a baking pan. He had taken his same recipe and
cut each of the two dough balls into four pieces. And then each of
those in half. Then he had rolled them into balls, making sure the
bottoms were pinched tight so no air would be lost. He had taken the
resulting balls and lined them up in a large greased baking pan, evenly
separated, covered with plastic, and put it into the refrigerator before
work that morning. Now they needed to come up to room temperature for
baking with dinner. He would put them in 20 minutes before dinner.
While broiling the oven was about 500° F- perfect for Rolls while the
steak cooked.
Then the two got started with the steaks, as they finished prepping them, Jane and the Colonel arrived. John shook both their hands, and invited them into the kitchen. Where Jane helped Matthew set the counter up for buffet style serving. The table simply did not have enough seats, or room for 7 adults to sit, and serve food from. As it was they had to pull the table into the middle of the room and send John to his apartment for an extra chair.
While John was gone, Luc and Family arrived. Marie was carrying baby Annette in a convertible car seat so that she would have somewhere to sit while the group ate. Luc introduced his mother as Annette too, and explained that she went by Annie. John arrived off the elevator as he as saying this and asked "You guys are calling the baby Annie now?"
Luc laughed and explained he was referring to his mother, for whom the baby was named. Then he pointed to the chair John was carrying and asked, "But who is YOUR date? Eh?"
John just shook his head and went inside, brushing Luc aside as he did and saying to the chair," Come my dear, we need not associate with these Philistines."
Jane, Annie and Marie took over kitchen duties after introductions had been made over Matthew's protest. Jane shooed him off saying "Matthew, we girls are getting to know each other, and you've already done the hard part. At this point it is just tossing it into the oven. Are you trying to say that the three of us can't handle that?"
Matthew looked at three sets of eyes waiting for him to answer, decided discretion was the better part of valor, and went into the living room where Luc and the Colonel were swapping outrageous lies about Canada versus America to John's great glee. As Matthew walked in the Colonel was expounding with a twinkle in his eye, "...And that is why God put Canada there at all - as a hat to keep the United States head warm!"
John and Luc burst out laughing as Matthew said "I'm glad I missed the first part I think. I was going to suggest wine, but I'm not sure this crowd could handle it."
"Nonsense my boy. Fine North American gentlemen that we are, we are just getting to know each other, break out those bottles." The colonel said with a smile.
"Yessir! Mon Colonel" Luc said, breaking open one of the bottles of Canadian Ice Wine he had brought. "Matthew, can you get us some glasses, or shall we pass the bottle. I vote for the bottle! Marie will have a fit."
"Restrain yourself Luc!" laughed Matthew. "It is early yet." He went into the kitchen to fetch glasses.
In the kitchen, the women were having a much calmer discussion as he walked in. They looked at him and Marie stated, "The men want to break open the wine already I am guessing."
"You are right." Matthew said with a smile. "And we wanted to invite you."
"You are a good fibber Matthew." said Marie. "Ladies shall we?"
They all grabbed a couple of wine glasses and headed into the living room. Jane was carrying Matthews kitchen timer.
"Ahh, we have ladies present." said the Colonel. "Now it is a party indeed."
"I'm sure." said Jane, yet her eyes sparkled merrily.
When the glasses were filled, they all raised them and looked to Matthew expectantly.
He thought for a second and said with a smile, "To the Future!"
"To the Future!" They chorused and clinked glasses.
The wine was quite good and sweet. John whispered to Matthew to watch out, it had more alcohol than standard wine. They all draped themselves about the living room- sipping, conversing, and waiting for the timer to go off so they could enjoy the wonderful smells coming from the kitchen in a more direct way.
Then the two got started with the steaks, as they finished prepping them, Jane and the Colonel arrived. John shook both their hands, and invited them into the kitchen. Where Jane helped Matthew set the counter up for buffet style serving. The table simply did not have enough seats, or room for 7 adults to sit, and serve food from. As it was they had to pull the table into the middle of the room and send John to his apartment for an extra chair.
While John was gone, Luc and Family arrived. Marie was carrying baby Annette in a convertible car seat so that she would have somewhere to sit while the group ate. Luc introduced his mother as Annette too, and explained that she went by Annie. John arrived off the elevator as he as saying this and asked "You guys are calling the baby Annie now?"
Luc laughed and explained he was referring to his mother, for whom the baby was named. Then he pointed to the chair John was carrying and asked, "But who is YOUR date? Eh?"
John just shook his head and went inside, brushing Luc aside as he did and saying to the chair," Come my dear, we need not associate with these Philistines."
Jane, Annie and Marie took over kitchen duties after introductions had been made over Matthew's protest. Jane shooed him off saying "Matthew, we girls are getting to know each other, and you've already done the hard part. At this point it is just tossing it into the oven. Are you trying to say that the three of us can't handle that?"
Matthew looked at three sets of eyes waiting for him to answer, decided discretion was the better part of valor, and went into the living room where Luc and the Colonel were swapping outrageous lies about Canada versus America to John's great glee. As Matthew walked in the Colonel was expounding with a twinkle in his eye, "...And that is why God put Canada there at all - as a hat to keep the United States head warm!"
John and Luc burst out laughing as Matthew said "I'm glad I missed the first part I think. I was going to suggest wine, but I'm not sure this crowd could handle it."
"Nonsense my boy. Fine North American gentlemen that we are, we are just getting to know each other, break out those bottles." The colonel said with a smile.
"Yessir! Mon Colonel" Luc said, breaking open one of the bottles of Canadian Ice Wine he had brought. "Matthew, can you get us some glasses, or shall we pass the bottle. I vote for the bottle! Marie will have a fit."
"Restrain yourself Luc!" laughed Matthew. "It is early yet." He went into the kitchen to fetch glasses.
In the kitchen, the women were having a much calmer discussion as he walked in. They looked at him and Marie stated, "The men want to break open the wine already I am guessing."
"You are right." Matthew said with a smile. "And we wanted to invite you."
"You are a good fibber Matthew." said Marie. "Ladies shall we?"
They all grabbed a couple of wine glasses and headed into the living room. Jane was carrying Matthews kitchen timer.
"Ahh, we have ladies present." said the Colonel. "Now it is a party indeed."
"I'm sure." said Jane, yet her eyes sparkled merrily.
When the glasses were filled, they all raised them and looked to Matthew expectantly.
He thought for a second and said with a smile, "To the Future!"
"To the Future!" They chorused and clinked glasses.
The wine was quite good and sweet. John whispered to Matthew to watch out, it had more alcohol than standard wine. They all draped themselves about the living room- sipping, conversing, and waiting for the timer to go off so they could enjoy the wonderful smells coming from the kitchen in a more direct way.
When the buzzer finally did ring ten or so minutes later it took them
all by surprise. Annie and Jane disappeared into the kitchen. When
they didn't come back right away, Marie soon followed. She was back
almost instantly saying "Come and eat everyone! Luc just bring the baby
in her seat- she's sleeping."
The men dutifully shuffled into the kitchen and sat down. Marie passed the serving plates around. Luc Thoughtfully served her plate for her while she did. When all had seated themselves, Annie asked if it would be alright if the group said Grace. Matthew looked at Jane-knowing she was Jewish. She gave him a slight nod and he said "It's fine with me unless someone has an objection? Speak frankly- that's what tonight is about!"
No one answered, or offered to do it so Matthew closed his eyes and said, "God, if your watching us, thanks for the food, drink, and companionship at this table tonight. And if you could guide the conversation so we can figure out what we need to- well, we would appreciate that too. Amen!"
"Amen" chorused the room.
For a few moments everyone concentrated on eating and complementing the food. Then the Colonel said "So, Jane says that this dinner is because you boys have some things to figure out, and want to pick our minds a bit?"
The men dutifully shuffled into the kitchen and sat down. Marie passed the serving plates around. Luc Thoughtfully served her plate for her while she did. When all had seated themselves, Annie asked if it would be alright if the group said Grace. Matthew looked at Jane-knowing she was Jewish. She gave him a slight nod and he said "It's fine with me unless someone has an objection? Speak frankly- that's what tonight is about!"
No one answered, or offered to do it so Matthew closed his eyes and said, "God, if your watching us, thanks for the food, drink, and companionship at this table tonight. And if you could guide the conversation so we can figure out what we need to- well, we would appreciate that too. Amen!"
"Amen" chorused the room.
For a few moments everyone concentrated on eating and complementing the food. Then the Colonel said "So, Jane says that this dinner is because you boys have some things to figure out, and want to pick our minds a bit?"
Marie laughed out loud and said, "Colonel, you will soon have our boys
in line. These three would certainly not have gotten to this point
until they were on the last bottle."
"Well I certainly hope there is more than one bottle of wine left. But, my dear, I am sure you keep your men in line. The Colonel replied.
"That is CERTAINLY true!" Smiled Luc. "It is often hard for me to sit down."
Everyone laughed and then Matthew took the lead. He explained to the table what the three of them had been feeling and talking about. He also gave a rundown of Dr. Cummings input. John and Luc chimed in from time to time with additions and corrections. At the end of the mini lecture, he paused then said "So you see, we decided that it was important to figure out our next move before it was figured out for us."
The ladies nodded sagely, and the Colonel said. "Thank you for the debriefing. I can see you have put a lot of thought into this. You of course have heard that "No plan survives contact with the enemy", Right?"
"Well, in this case the enemy is sort of Amorphous. The great economic blob!" Luc exclaimed. "We cannot help but be in contact."
"Tell that to the Amish." said Annie
"Well I certainly hope there is more than one bottle of wine left. But, my dear, I am sure you keep your men in line. The Colonel replied.
"That is CERTAINLY true!" Smiled Luc. "It is often hard for me to sit down."
Everyone laughed and then Matthew took the lead. He explained to the table what the three of them had been feeling and talking about. He also gave a rundown of Dr. Cummings input. John and Luc chimed in from time to time with additions and corrections. At the end of the mini lecture, he paused then said "So you see, we decided that it was important to figure out our next move before it was figured out for us."
The ladies nodded sagely, and the Colonel said. "Thank you for the debriefing. I can see you have put a lot of thought into this. You of course have heard that "No plan survives contact with the enemy", Right?"
"Well, in this case the enemy is sort of Amorphous. The great economic blob!" Luc exclaimed. "We cannot help but be in contact."
"Tell that to the Amish." said Annie
"The Amish do touch our economy." said her son, "Just to a lesser extent
than we do. They buy and sell, they work for other companies."
"Several religious groups stock up." said Jane. "In case of economic woes. The Mormons, The Amish and Mennonites are the ones most people hear about, but many Messianic Jews, and a lot of non denominational Christians do." Said Jane. "At least according to the 20/20 episode I watched on it a few years back. The called it hoarding though."
"Don't let Dr. Cummings hear that!" said John "It's one of his pet peeves. What are Messianic Jews? And Mennonites?"
"Mennonites are the sect of Christians that the Amish broke away from. They still work together for many things and have no animosity between them really, they are very similar to the Amish with less isolationism. You wouldn't be able to tell one on the street usually. Messianic Jews are Jews who accept Jesus as the Messiah. They follow a substantially Jewish worship service. Keep Jewish holidays, usually keep kosher. Israel doesn't recognize them as Jews, but most Christians wouldn't recognize their service as well... It is similar to Orthodox Jew, only Jesus is messiah. Many historians believe they are closest to what Jesus and the Apostles practiced, but their are soooo many people against them. Neither Jews nor Christians claim them. Although Christians are closest. Don't you have the learning channel? Honestly!" Jane smiled and winked. Which prompted a chorus of giggles.
"So you young people think the economy is crashing because of this Dr. Cummings, and your own research, and are looking to some old people to figure out what to do? Asked the Colonel. "What makes you think we know what to do? That we are stocked up?"
"I don't think that. I don't know that you are or your not. I know based on conversations with Jane that she may be sympathetic- but that's all." Matthew paused. "But this is about figuring out what you think more than living life like you do. 'Great Minds Think For Themselves!'"
The colonel burst out laughing. "That they do. And you are right. Did you know that the main cause of war loss is insufficient resources. Period. Insufficient leadership resources, ammo resources, manpower resources, food and water resources, and on and on. That's it. When a small force overwhelms a larger one, it is because it hits them in such away to remove a crucial resource, or create a mental fear (the opposition's morale resource). War is very simple when you look at it that way. However it is infinitely complex figuring out those resources."
"I never thought of it that way." Said John. " But what about having a super weapon. Like horses and muskets for the conquistador's in Mexico. Or the Atomic bomb in WWII?"
"Well they actually both prove my point. Cortez's 600 man army took out a million man army. The largest standing army in the world at that point. One fifth of a nation of 5 million took up arms against a force of 600 men, 20 horses, and ten small cannons. And they LOST. Because of resources. First Cortes burned the ships. The conquistadors had NO ESCAPE ROUTE. That is quite a motivational resource, win or die. Second Montezuma's army half believed them to be God's- Morale resource. The Atomic bomb in WWII was a weapons resource the allies had. And a Morale resource. it both bolstered the allies morale and simultaneously hurt the morale of Japan. " The colonel smiled. "And I said the Main cause of war loss was resources, not the only cause! Wise guy!"
"Well we don't have much resources." Said Matthew. "If we are planning on surviving an economic crash. Well... what the heck can we do?"
"Several religious groups stock up." said Jane. "In case of economic woes. The Mormons, The Amish and Mennonites are the ones most people hear about, but many Messianic Jews, and a lot of non denominational Christians do." Said Jane. "At least according to the 20/20 episode I watched on it a few years back. The called it hoarding though."
"Don't let Dr. Cummings hear that!" said John "It's one of his pet peeves. What are Messianic Jews? And Mennonites?"
"Mennonites are the sect of Christians that the Amish broke away from. They still work together for many things and have no animosity between them really, they are very similar to the Amish with less isolationism. You wouldn't be able to tell one on the street usually. Messianic Jews are Jews who accept Jesus as the Messiah. They follow a substantially Jewish worship service. Keep Jewish holidays, usually keep kosher. Israel doesn't recognize them as Jews, but most Christians wouldn't recognize their service as well... It is similar to Orthodox Jew, only Jesus is messiah. Many historians believe they are closest to what Jesus and the Apostles practiced, but their are soooo many people against them. Neither Jews nor Christians claim them. Although Christians are closest. Don't you have the learning channel? Honestly!" Jane smiled and winked. Which prompted a chorus of giggles.
"So you young people think the economy is crashing because of this Dr. Cummings, and your own research, and are looking to some old people to figure out what to do? Asked the Colonel. "What makes you think we know what to do? That we are stocked up?"
"I don't think that. I don't know that you are or your not. I know based on conversations with Jane that she may be sympathetic- but that's all." Matthew paused. "But this is about figuring out what you think more than living life like you do. 'Great Minds Think For Themselves!'"
The colonel burst out laughing. "That they do. And you are right. Did you know that the main cause of war loss is insufficient resources. Period. Insufficient leadership resources, ammo resources, manpower resources, food and water resources, and on and on. That's it. When a small force overwhelms a larger one, it is because it hits them in such away to remove a crucial resource, or create a mental fear (the opposition's morale resource). War is very simple when you look at it that way. However it is infinitely complex figuring out those resources."
"I never thought of it that way." Said John. " But what about having a super weapon. Like horses and muskets for the conquistador's in Mexico. Or the Atomic bomb in WWII?"
"Well they actually both prove my point. Cortez's 600 man army took out a million man army. The largest standing army in the world at that point. One fifth of a nation of 5 million took up arms against a force of 600 men, 20 horses, and ten small cannons. And they LOST. Because of resources. First Cortes burned the ships. The conquistadors had NO ESCAPE ROUTE. That is quite a motivational resource, win or die. Second Montezuma's army half believed them to be God's- Morale resource. The Atomic bomb in WWII was a weapons resource the allies had. And a Morale resource. it both bolstered the allies morale and simultaneously hurt the morale of Japan. " The colonel smiled. "And I said the Main cause of war loss was resources, not the only cause! Wise guy!"
"Well we don't have much resources." Said Matthew. "If we are planning on surviving an economic crash. Well... what the heck can we do?"
"Well," said the Colonel. " If it was my mission, I would outline what
resources you DID have. Also, what your end objectives are. Then I
would see what was missing to fulfill those objectives and acquire those
resources."
"That sounds like a great beginning!" said Annie.
"What do you mean 'end objectives'? " asked Matthew. "I thought we already established we were worried about an economic crash."
"Alright." returned the Colonel. "So if your end objective was to worry. You are done. Was there more to your Objectives my boy?"
"Ouch!" said Luc smiling. "We are missing some obvious questions aren't we?"
"Well, I think the Colonel makes a good point." Said Jane. "At first I was thinking you should amend your end objective to surviving an economic crash. Then I thought why not change it to THRIVE during an economic crash. But now I have already changed it to THRIVE NO MATTER WHAT!"
"That sounds perfect!" Said Marie with a smile. "Now how do we do that?"
"That sounds like a great beginning!" said Annie.
"What do you mean 'end objectives'? " asked Matthew. "I thought we already established we were worried about an economic crash."
"Alright." returned the Colonel. "So if your end objective was to worry. You are done. Was there more to your Objectives my boy?"
"Ouch!" said Luc smiling. "We are missing some obvious questions aren't we?"
"Well, I think the Colonel makes a good point." Said Jane. "At first I was thinking you should amend your end objective to surviving an economic crash. Then I thought why not change it to THRIVE during an economic crash. But now I have already changed it to THRIVE NO MATTER WHAT!"
"That sounds perfect!" Said Marie with a smile. "Now how do we do that?"
"There is a great book that we had given to us about a billion years ago
in the past. It was during OCS. It was a business book ostensibly,
but really it was a book on success. It was by Napoleon Hill. It was
called "Think and Grow Rich" and there was a poem in it. We learned it
by heart.
"That is a great lesson, not just about money. It is about life." The colonel paused. God gives and takes away, but we take what we want from life."
"I bargained with Life for a penny,
And Life would pay no more,
However I begged at evening
When I counted my scanty store.
For Life is a just employer,
He gives you what you ask,
But once you have set the wages,
Why, you must bear the task.
I worked for a menial's hire,
Only to learn, dismayed,
That any wage I had asked of Life,
Life would have willingly paid."
And Life would pay no more,
However I begged at evening
When I counted my scanty store.
For Life is a just employer,
He gives you what you ask,
But once you have set the wages,
Why, you must bear the task.
I worked for a menial's hire,
Only to learn, dismayed,
That any wage I had asked of Life,
Life would have willingly paid."
"That is a great lesson, not just about money. It is about life." The colonel paused. God gives and takes away, but we take what we want from life."
"Are you saying we should take what we want by force?" asked Luc perplexedly. "I do not know if I am up for that."
"Well, let's not talk about force just yet. Slippery slope for this conversation." Answered the Colonel. "What I get out of that poem as it relates to this evenings discourse is simple. Decide on what 'Thriving' looks like. List what it would take to accomplish 'Thriving'. Expect to 'Thrive'. And work towards your expectations."
"And then magically we will be prepared for anything? You make it sound so simple Colonel." said Marie. "Luc, John, and Matthew are not rich men. They work everyday just to make it. How could they accomplish all you say in such a limited time? With no capital?"
Annie looked at her daughter in law and said, "Marie my sweet. Andrew Carnegie was still sweeping floors floors two years before he made himself rich. It is possible. We just have to point our boys in the right direction. No?"
Jane smiled at Annie. "Not just the boys! All of us. I think between this evening, the world news of late, and a personal predilection for food, I want to get my household in order as well."
"I am with you!" Said Annie.
"So where do we go from here?" Asked John.
"Definitions!" said Matthew, his Management experience kicking in. "We need to define what thriving looks like- as a life style."
"Exactly!" John half shouted. "Then we can plot how to get it, and protect it in a crash!"
"You are plotting now?" Luc asked. "I KNEW you were a super villain!"
"Hush!" said his wife without malice. "You three joke more than you think!"
"So where do we start?" asked Jane as she helped herself to another glass of wine.
"I would suggest the phone book." Answered the Colonel.
"What?" asked Matthew. "Should we look under 'economic crash services'?"
"Isn't that the same as government?" quipped John.
Everyone laughed and the colonel said. " The yellow pages list most goods and services that people use. I think we should all let our fingers do the walking and at every main heading make a decision list as to whether or not the good or service would be needed in a crash situation. And if it is, what we need to stock of it, or what skill and tools would be needed to create it for ourselves, or as a trade good."
Matthew held up his New York City yellow pages, with both hands. "Do you really think the people in this room can do all the jobs listed in here?"
"Yes and No." the Colonel answered. "But most of the things listed in the book are groups of people who do the same thing. We are looking mainly at the headings. Accounting. Architect. Artist. get it?"
"Got it!" said Matthew.
"Good!" came the pat reply from the colonel. "Shall we get started?"
"It is late." said Jane. "Would you all like to meet tomorrow at my place for dinner?"
"We are helping Matthew move." said John. "Why don't we all do that and then just have take out at his new place."
"Well then I will make a dinner to go and bring that." Said Jane. "No sense wasting money on take out as you prepare for economic collapse."
The group laughed and said goodnight to each other while planning to meet the next day. Annie offered to come and help Jane prepare dinner, and they exchanged numbers. As the group left- Matthew felt a tingling surge of expectation. It was good to take his destiny into his own hands.
He felt hope.
"Well, let's not talk about force just yet. Slippery slope for this conversation." Answered the Colonel. "What I get out of that poem as it relates to this evenings discourse is simple. Decide on what 'Thriving' looks like. List what it would take to accomplish 'Thriving'. Expect to 'Thrive'. And work towards your expectations."
"And then magically we will be prepared for anything? You make it sound so simple Colonel." said Marie. "Luc, John, and Matthew are not rich men. They work everyday just to make it. How could they accomplish all you say in such a limited time? With no capital?"
Annie looked at her daughter in law and said, "Marie my sweet. Andrew Carnegie was still sweeping floors floors two years before he made himself rich. It is possible. We just have to point our boys in the right direction. No?"
Jane smiled at Annie. "Not just the boys! All of us. I think between this evening, the world news of late, and a personal predilection for food, I want to get my household in order as well."
"I am with you!" Said Annie.
"So where do we go from here?" Asked John.
"Definitions!" said Matthew, his Management experience kicking in. "We need to define what thriving looks like- as a life style."
"Exactly!" John half shouted. "Then we can plot how to get it, and protect it in a crash!"
"You are plotting now?" Luc asked. "I KNEW you were a super villain!"
"Hush!" said his wife without malice. "You three joke more than you think!"
"So where do we start?" asked Jane as she helped herself to another glass of wine.
"I would suggest the phone book." Answered the Colonel.
"What?" asked Matthew. "Should we look under 'economic crash services'?"
"Isn't that the same as government?" quipped John.
Everyone laughed and the colonel said. " The yellow pages list most goods and services that people use. I think we should all let our fingers do the walking and at every main heading make a decision list as to whether or not the good or service would be needed in a crash situation. And if it is, what we need to stock of it, or what skill and tools would be needed to create it for ourselves, or as a trade good."
Matthew held up his New York City yellow pages, with both hands. "Do you really think the people in this room can do all the jobs listed in here?"
"Yes and No." the Colonel answered. "But most of the things listed in the book are groups of people who do the same thing. We are looking mainly at the headings. Accounting. Architect. Artist. get it?"
"Got it!" said Matthew.
"Good!" came the pat reply from the colonel. "Shall we get started?"
"It is late." said Jane. "Would you all like to meet tomorrow at my place for dinner?"
"We are helping Matthew move." said John. "Why don't we all do that and then just have take out at his new place."
"Well then I will make a dinner to go and bring that." Said Jane. "No sense wasting money on take out as you prepare for economic collapse."
The group laughed and said goodnight to each other while planning to meet the next day. Annie offered to come and help Jane prepare dinner, and they exchanged numbers. As the group left- Matthew felt a tingling surge of expectation. It was good to take his destiny into his own hands.
He felt hope.
When Matthew got up in the morning, he took a walk to the grocery store
to pick up some empty boxes for the move. As he walked he took stock
of all the stores on the way. An amazing amount of goods and services
were available just in a few blocks.
Pushing the cart he had borrowed from Jane he had to grimace every few minutes as it let out a squeek from one of it's tires. He paused after a particularly loud one in front of the locksmith next to the hardware store.
A voice behind him said "Ouch!" in teasing tone.
Matthew turned to see his friend Ben, and smiled at him. "Hey Ben!"
"That wheel needs some lube, or your going to get a noise citation my friend!" Ben said smiling as he clasped Matthew's shoulder. "You need a can of WD-40!"
"That's true, maybe when I get paid." Matthew said.
"I have a can behind the counter, I can spot you a shot. If we wait till payday- you will be deaf!" He led Matthew into the store.
"Sounds like a deal!" said Matthew.
As he sprayed the oil on the wheel bearings, Ben asked Matthew, "You need a key or are you changing locks?"
" What do you mean?" Asked Matthew.
"I saw you looking at Tito's Lock Shop. I figure you probably need one or the other. If you didn't lock yourself out of a safe, you could probably get a new lock on yourself, or I could make you a key. Normally I wouldn't say anything, I'm not trying to steal business from my neighbors. But, I know your on a budget." He smiled at Matthew, "So is it a Do It Yourself project or not?"
Matthew laughed. "Actually, I was just reflecting on how many different types of business we have. I wonder what it would be like if everyone disappeared tomorrow except a handful of people. There are so many skill sets."
"Well that is true up to a point." Ben said. "Many tradespeople are able to muddle through many other facets of work besides their own specialty areas. The good ones are. A guy may be a framer, but he could also set cement, or run basic electric. Things like that."
"I guess, but there are so many different occupations." Matthew said.
Ben said, "Your right there. Just walk up and down these aisles. It is amazing the amount of different items we carry, and we aren't even a giant store. If I was one of your hypothetical last people, I would want to own a hardware store!" Ben laughed. "Of course I manage one, so maybe I am partial."
"I think maybe you are right though." Matthew said. "But if you didn't own one... What do you think you would need to have?"
Ben looked at Matthew quizzically, "So in our exercise nothing is available after supplies have run out?"
"Yea, what is in stores today is the last of stuff, and no more will be coming when it's gone." Matthew answered.
"Hmm, I guess I would need a warehouse, there is so much I would need... No, wait. I would say I need a good set of general hand tools. Replacement blades and such... I would get a nice set of replacement nuts and bolts. Screws, nails, brads... I would also want a welder and supplies. Some sandpaper and spray paint. I guess I wouldn't want everything in the store. As you walk up and down, there are things we wouldn't need anymore." Ben replied.
"Like what?" asked Matthew.
"Well, lawn mowers, and grass fertilizer for instance. Why would you keep a lawn if you were one of a handful of people on the planet. I would get a goat or something. Or plant something that doesn't need mowing. Like Blue Star creeper, or Roman Chamomile." Ben Chuckled, "You now the majority of fertilizer in the world goes on lawns, won't be needing THAT anymore either. I guess the whole yard aisle would be useless except for the automatic sprinklers supply, and the veggie seeds."
"Why sprinklers?" asked Matthew.
"Watering my veggies. If the water is still on why not?" The two men laughed.
They began moving up and down the aisles as Ben pointed out things like a kid with a pile of baseball cards. "Need it, Need it, maybe, maybe, no, no, Need it."
Every once in a while Matthew would ask a question, and Ben would explain his reasoning. Eventually the door chime announced a new customer. Ben said " I have to go, but this would be a fun game to play at Wal-Mart, or the grocery store as well. I bet if you made a list it would be fun to look at. "
Matthew agreed and waved to his friend as he headed out the door on to the grocery store. With a wonderfully quiet cart.
Pushing the cart he had borrowed from Jane he had to grimace every few minutes as it let out a squeek from one of it's tires. He paused after a particularly loud one in front of the locksmith next to the hardware store.
A voice behind him said "Ouch!" in teasing tone.
Matthew turned to see his friend Ben, and smiled at him. "Hey Ben!"
"That wheel needs some lube, or your going to get a noise citation my friend!" Ben said smiling as he clasped Matthew's shoulder. "You need a can of WD-40!"
"That's true, maybe when I get paid." Matthew said.
"I have a can behind the counter, I can spot you a shot. If we wait till payday- you will be deaf!" He led Matthew into the store.
"Sounds like a deal!" said Matthew.
As he sprayed the oil on the wheel bearings, Ben asked Matthew, "You need a key or are you changing locks?"
" What do you mean?" Asked Matthew.
"I saw you looking at Tito's Lock Shop. I figure you probably need one or the other. If you didn't lock yourself out of a safe, you could probably get a new lock on yourself, or I could make you a key. Normally I wouldn't say anything, I'm not trying to steal business from my neighbors. But, I know your on a budget." He smiled at Matthew, "So is it a Do It Yourself project or not?"
Matthew laughed. "Actually, I was just reflecting on how many different types of business we have. I wonder what it would be like if everyone disappeared tomorrow except a handful of people. There are so many skill sets."
"Well that is true up to a point." Ben said. "Many tradespeople are able to muddle through many other facets of work besides their own specialty areas. The good ones are. A guy may be a framer, but he could also set cement, or run basic electric. Things like that."
"I guess, but there are so many different occupations." Matthew said.
Ben said, "Your right there. Just walk up and down these aisles. It is amazing the amount of different items we carry, and we aren't even a giant store. If I was one of your hypothetical last people, I would want to own a hardware store!" Ben laughed. "Of course I manage one, so maybe I am partial."
"I think maybe you are right though." Matthew said. "But if you didn't own one... What do you think you would need to have?"
Ben looked at Matthew quizzically, "So in our exercise nothing is available after supplies have run out?"
"Yea, what is in stores today is the last of stuff, and no more will be coming when it's gone." Matthew answered.
"Hmm, I guess I would need a warehouse, there is so much I would need... No, wait. I would say I need a good set of general hand tools. Replacement blades and such... I would get a nice set of replacement nuts and bolts. Screws, nails, brads... I would also want a welder and supplies. Some sandpaper and spray paint. I guess I wouldn't want everything in the store. As you walk up and down, there are things we wouldn't need anymore." Ben replied.
"Like what?" asked Matthew.
"Well, lawn mowers, and grass fertilizer for instance. Why would you keep a lawn if you were one of a handful of people on the planet. I would get a goat or something. Or plant something that doesn't need mowing. Like Blue Star creeper, or Roman Chamomile." Ben Chuckled, "You now the majority of fertilizer in the world goes on lawns, won't be needing THAT anymore either. I guess the whole yard aisle would be useless except for the automatic sprinklers supply, and the veggie seeds."
"Why sprinklers?" asked Matthew.
"Watering my veggies. If the water is still on why not?" The two men laughed.
They began moving up and down the aisles as Ben pointed out things like a kid with a pile of baseball cards. "Need it, Need it, maybe, maybe, no, no, Need it."
Every once in a while Matthew would ask a question, and Ben would explain his reasoning. Eventually the door chime announced a new customer. Ben said " I have to go, but this would be a fun game to play at Wal-Mart, or the grocery store as well. I bet if you made a list it would be fun to look at. "
Matthew agreed and waved to his friend as he headed out the door on to the grocery store. With a wonderfully quiet cart.
When Matthew reached the store, he went to the courtesy counter and
asked to borrow a pen and paper, and where he could get a few boxes.
The lady at the counter told him she would have some brought up and he
could pick them up when he was done shopping.
Matthew took the paper and golf pencil she had provided, and walked every aisle in the grocery store, looking at every item. He even looked at the ingredients on several and made notes. When he arrived back at the counter, he asked the woman, "Is there a way I can buy bulk from here? If I gave a list? So I wouldn't take everything of a certain item off the shelf."
The woman smiled at him, "That's fine hun, lots of folks do it. Most grocery stores will give you ten percent at least off cases if you order them. It helps us fight back against the Cosco's and Sam's Clubs."
"Thanks!" Said Matthew. "That is good to know. The discount is an added Bonus."
"Stocking up?" The lady asked.
"Thinking about it." Matthew replied. "Money is tight and the price of groceries keeps rising."
"Good for you. It's a good idea. But don't let anyone know." She said.
"Why not?" Matthew asked perplexed.
"Remember the blackout?" the lady asked. "Everyone I know showed up at our place because I used to talk about stocking up. Everything we had stocked just evaporated. Now we talk about how expensive it was to do and how we would never do it again so there is no repeat if anything happens again. People may not appear interested when you say your stocked, or even look at you funny! But they remember when something happens. And they show up! With friends of theirs YOU have never even met!" She laughed. "Take it from me!"
"I wasn't here for the blackout, but that seems like reasonable and good advice. Thank you." Matthew said sincerely.
"Did you want to order some cases? If it's an item we don't carry, you have to put a deposit down." She said.
"Not right now. I have to build up a little cash first." he replied.
"Gotcha!" She said. She looked side to side and said conspiratorially "You didn't hear this from me, but there is a way you can save buku money on groceries. My husband used to own a restaurant. He used to get his supplies from a cash and carry supply house rather than a delivery service like SYSCO. You won't believe the savings over a grocery store on items like meat and vegetables. Dry goods too. You need to have a business license to get the account. But the account is usually free. You can get a DBA from the county clerks office for $20-30 bucks, and you will save that back the first time you go. Restaurant food is higher quality and lower priced than grocery store food. We get almost all our food there. But you didn't hear it from me."
"That sounds like it is illegal, I don't have a restaurant." Matthew said concerned.
"They don't care if you have a restaurant or not." She said with a smile. "They just want you to have a business. They get deals from their suppliers based on no private individuals, but they are happy to sell. You need to get used to the restaurant brands, they are a little different sometimes, but familiar brands like Hellman's mayonnaise or Jiff Peanut Butter are there as well. Go walk through Restaurant Depot and you will see."
"Restaurant Depot? Your kidding. Where is that?" Matthew said with a grin.
"They are a national chain, go to their website and find the closest one. They have a couple in the metro area. I go to one in Jersey because I live over there. I save a bunch even over shopping here with my employee discount." She smiled.
"Thank you for the boxes, and the info." Matthew said loading his boxes. "Have a great day."
"You too hun!" She said. "And check out the restaurant places. You will save big."
Matthew took the paper and golf pencil she had provided, and walked every aisle in the grocery store, looking at every item. He even looked at the ingredients on several and made notes. When he arrived back at the counter, he asked the woman, "Is there a way I can buy bulk from here? If I gave a list? So I wouldn't take everything of a certain item off the shelf."
The woman smiled at him, "That's fine hun, lots of folks do it. Most grocery stores will give you ten percent at least off cases if you order them. It helps us fight back against the Cosco's and Sam's Clubs."
"Thanks!" Said Matthew. "That is good to know. The discount is an added Bonus."
"Stocking up?" The lady asked.
"Thinking about it." Matthew replied. "Money is tight and the price of groceries keeps rising."
"Good for you. It's a good idea. But don't let anyone know." She said.
"Why not?" Matthew asked perplexed.
"Remember the blackout?" the lady asked. "Everyone I know showed up at our place because I used to talk about stocking up. Everything we had stocked just evaporated. Now we talk about how expensive it was to do and how we would never do it again so there is no repeat if anything happens again. People may not appear interested when you say your stocked, or even look at you funny! But they remember when something happens. And they show up! With friends of theirs YOU have never even met!" She laughed. "Take it from me!"
"I wasn't here for the blackout, but that seems like reasonable and good advice. Thank you." Matthew said sincerely.
"Did you want to order some cases? If it's an item we don't carry, you have to put a deposit down." She said.
"Not right now. I have to build up a little cash first." he replied.
"Gotcha!" She said. She looked side to side and said conspiratorially "You didn't hear this from me, but there is a way you can save buku money on groceries. My husband used to own a restaurant. He used to get his supplies from a cash and carry supply house rather than a delivery service like SYSCO. You won't believe the savings over a grocery store on items like meat and vegetables. Dry goods too. You need to have a business license to get the account. But the account is usually free. You can get a DBA from the county clerks office for $20-30 bucks, and you will save that back the first time you go. Restaurant food is higher quality and lower priced than grocery store food. We get almost all our food there. But you didn't hear it from me."
"That sounds like it is illegal, I don't have a restaurant." Matthew said concerned.
"They don't care if you have a restaurant or not." She said with a smile. "They just want you to have a business. They get deals from their suppliers based on no private individuals, but they are happy to sell. You need to get used to the restaurant brands, they are a little different sometimes, but familiar brands like Hellman's mayonnaise or Jiff Peanut Butter are there as well. Go walk through Restaurant Depot and you will see."
"Restaurant Depot? Your kidding. Where is that?" Matthew said with a grin.
"They are a national chain, go to their website and find the closest one. They have a couple in the metro area. I go to one in Jersey because I live over there. I save a bunch even over shopping here with my employee discount." She smiled.
"Thank you for the boxes, and the info." Matthew said loading his boxes. "Have a great day."
"You too hun!" She said. "And check out the restaurant places. You will save big."
Matthew went directly home as he wanted to pack his few possessions and
clothing before heading to the studio. His plan was to just pack a room
at a time, and move them downstairs that way. Since he had moved to
New York, he had not acquired many possessions, more from economic
reasons than any Spartan sensibilities. That would work in his favor
now. Within two hours he was finished and headed for the bus. He had
not bothered wrapping glass and plates, he had lots of help and the
move was only a couple of stairs away.
On the bus he was taken to a great mood, watching an old Chasidic couple making faces at a baby sitting in front of them, and hearing their laughter was infectious. He couldn't help smiling. When he got off the bus he was even whistling.
Mark met him inside the door and said, "Matthew, do you have a drivers license?"
"Sure do! It's not a New York license, I haven't gotten around to it yet. But, it's valid"
"Good enough for me. Come on we have a little road trip." Mark replied, and led him too his beaten up old Cherokee.
While they were driving Matthew asked, "Not that I care, but where are we going?"
"Sorry Matthew, we are picking up a car from an access station on Long Island, I don't know much else other than someone is really angry at corporate." Came the reply.
They got onto the Long Island Expressway, headed east and were barely into Nassau county when Mark took an exit. They drove past a Restaurant Depot, and Matthew did a double take.
"Mark, if we are not in a hurry, can we look around that store really quick. I just heard about it, and I am curious." He asked his boss.
Mark looked at Matthew quizzically, then shrugged and said "Whatever."
They turned around and pulled into the parking lot.
On the bus he was taken to a great mood, watching an old Chasidic couple making faces at a baby sitting in front of them, and hearing their laughter was infectious. He couldn't help smiling. When he got off the bus he was even whistling.
Mark met him inside the door and said, "Matthew, do you have a drivers license?"
"Sure do! It's not a New York license, I haven't gotten around to it yet. But, it's valid"
"Good enough for me. Come on we have a little road trip." Mark replied, and led him too his beaten up old Cherokee.
While they were driving Matthew asked, "Not that I care, but where are we going?"
"Sorry Matthew, we are picking up a car from an access station on Long Island, I don't know much else other than someone is really angry at corporate." Came the reply.
They got onto the Long Island Expressway, headed east and were barely into Nassau county when Mark took an exit. They drove past a Restaurant Depot, and Matthew did a double take.
"Mark, if we are not in a hurry, can we look around that store really quick. I just heard about it, and I am curious." He asked his boss.
Mark looked at Matthew quizzically, then shrugged and said "Whatever."
They turned around and pulled into the parking lot.
"Welcome, please scan your card." A Latino woman said to the men as they stood inside the doorway.
"We don't have our card, could you look up our account for us?" Mark smoothly replied.
"Certainly! Company name?" She replied.
As Mark smoothly gave the name of the cable company, Matthew just stood their watching him, his mouth slightly open.
Finally, when the lady finished typing she said, "Here you gentlemen go. I have signed you in, and the cashier can use this as your card." She handed him a temporary card on copy paper.
"Thanks miss!" Mark said as they walked away.
"I didn't know we had an account!" Matthew exclaimed.
"Neither did I." Mark confessed, "But a company as big as ours has a lot of cafeterias."
"We don't have our card, could you look up our account for us?" Mark smoothly replied.
"Certainly! Company name?" She replied.
As Mark smoothly gave the name of the cable company, Matthew just stood their watching him, his mouth slightly open.
Finally, when the lady finished typing she said, "Here you gentlemen go. I have signed you in, and the cashier can use this as your card." She handed him a temporary card on copy paper.
"Thanks miss!" Mark said as they walked away.
"I didn't know we had an account!" Matthew exclaimed.
"Neither did I." Mark confessed, "But a company as big as ours has a lot of cafeterias."
(Restaurant Depot (as well as other supply houses) have no membership
fees. They have much lower costs on food and janitorial supplies than
club stores, but they don't sell TV's or dog food.
I am focusing on Restaurant Depot because I am familiar with it, and they are in many states. But I also shop at other cash and carry wholesale trade stores.
Checking in as the cable company saved our boys from having to show a tax-id number. It also means that if food records are ever reviewed due to rationing... a scenario that might happen in this story much later... our friends food would not be listed.
And you are welcome!
Mac )
I am focusing on Restaurant Depot because I am familiar with it, and they are in many states. But I also shop at other cash and carry wholesale trade stores.
Checking in as the cable company saved our boys from having to show a tax-id number. It also means that if food records are ever reviewed due to rationing... a scenario that might happen in this story much later... our friends food would not be listed.
And you are welcome!
Mac )
"What would you have done if the company DIDN'T have a membership?" Asked Matthew.
"I would have said we were here looking around to see if we should get one." Came Mark's reply. "It's true isn't it? Or are we here to do some major shopping I don't know about?"
"Imagine that! The truth is the best story again." Matthew chuckled.
The two men wandered the aisles looking at things. Every now and again one would exclaim about the price of this or that. Every once in a while it was that an item was the same as a grocery store price, but typically it was the opposite. While neither man bought anything, both would have if they had been shopping not looking. When they had got back to the front of the store, Mark once again approached the welcome counter.
"I would like to get a couple more cards, what do I have to do?" He asked.
"Hand me the temporary one I gave you before, so I don't have to look you up again." She said.
The woman printed out two account cards for the men. Mark handed one to Matthew and said "Now don't be charging anything to the company for a party at your place." with mock sternness.
Failing to see the sarcasm, the woman said, "Don't worry, we are cash and carry. He can shop here but not charge anything. That's why there are no names on the cards, or photos. Anyone can use a card, no one can charge anything to the account. If you want to put something on a corporate charge card, you need to give the employee the card to bring, or fax in a charge card form authorizing use on a listed card each time you wish to use it, although no one really does that."
"Thank you for the information." Mark said and the men left.
Back in the car Mark and Matthew were silent for a bit as Mark navigated the way to the access station. In the parking lot Mark said to Matthew, "I think I am going to do some shopping at the restaurant supply this week at some point if you want to come."
"I might, let me know, and thanks." said Matthew.
"Also, you can let Luc and John know about that place if you like, but I don't want everyone at work trying to get a card because it might irritate corporate. Okay? And make sure they keep their lips shut too. I know you can't keep anything from them as you three share a brain." Mark smiled.
"Gotcha!" said Matthew, and the two men went inside the station.
Inside the station they were met by a dough faced man who shook Mark's hand and said "How are you Mark?"
"Better than you I hear Morty! What's going on?"
"Nightmare!" the man said shaking his head. "Somebody bought some old car as a prop, and charged it to the station. There is talk of embezzling. The company axe man is here lopping heads even now. Thank goodness I just took over here or I would be gone. I am being considered the whistle blower by corporate because I questioned the account draws."
"A lot of fuss over a car carcass for a prop... How much was it?" asked Mark.
"Five grand. And, he was using it as a prop- and a private vehicle. And he helped himself to some other stuff too." Morty said. "Do you want to see the corporate folks, or just split with the car?"
"Might as well get seen. Don't need them irritated at me too." Mark said.
Morty grunted and led them into a conference room.
"I would have said we were here looking around to see if we should get one." Came Mark's reply. "It's true isn't it? Or are we here to do some major shopping I don't know about?"
"Imagine that! The truth is the best story again." Matthew chuckled.
The two men wandered the aisles looking at things. Every now and again one would exclaim about the price of this or that. Every once in a while it was that an item was the same as a grocery store price, but typically it was the opposite. While neither man bought anything, both would have if they had been shopping not looking. When they had got back to the front of the store, Mark once again approached the welcome counter.
"I would like to get a couple more cards, what do I have to do?" He asked.
"Hand me the temporary one I gave you before, so I don't have to look you up again." She said.
The woman printed out two account cards for the men. Mark handed one to Matthew and said "Now don't be charging anything to the company for a party at your place." with mock sternness.
Failing to see the sarcasm, the woman said, "Don't worry, we are cash and carry. He can shop here but not charge anything. That's why there are no names on the cards, or photos. Anyone can use a card, no one can charge anything to the account. If you want to put something on a corporate charge card, you need to give the employee the card to bring, or fax in a charge card form authorizing use on a listed card each time you wish to use it, although no one really does that."
"Thank you for the information." Mark said and the men left.
Back in the car Mark and Matthew were silent for a bit as Mark navigated the way to the access station. In the parking lot Mark said to Matthew, "I think I am going to do some shopping at the restaurant supply this week at some point if you want to come."
"I might, let me know, and thanks." said Matthew.
"Also, you can let Luc and John know about that place if you like, but I don't want everyone at work trying to get a card because it might irritate corporate. Okay? And make sure they keep their lips shut too. I know you can't keep anything from them as you three share a brain." Mark smiled.
"Gotcha!" said Matthew, and the two men went inside the station.
Inside the station they were met by a dough faced man who shook Mark's hand and said "How are you Mark?"
"Better than you I hear Morty! What's going on?"
"Nightmare!" the man said shaking his head. "Somebody bought some old car as a prop, and charged it to the station. There is talk of embezzling. The company axe man is here lopping heads even now. Thank goodness I just took over here or I would be gone. I am being considered the whistle blower by corporate because I questioned the account draws."
"A lot of fuss over a car carcass for a prop... How much was it?" asked Mark.
"Five grand. And, he was using it as a prop- and a private vehicle. And he helped himself to some other stuff too." Morty said. "Do you want to see the corporate folks, or just split with the car?"
"Might as well get seen. Don't need them irritated at me too." Mark said.
Morty grunted and led them into a conference room.
When they entered the conference room a woman in business attire stood up and shook Mark's hand.
"Mark, glad your here. I called you because I am sure you can be circumspect." She said.
"I'll do what I can Sarah." Mark said.
She flicked a tight smile at Matthew and proffered a hand. "I am Sarah MacLeod."
"Matthew." He returned with a smile.
"Good to meet you Matthew. You work with Mark?" she asked.
"Matthew is a new but vital member of our staff." Mark answered for him. "He has replaced our sound man temporarily, Works as a third on our remote team, and does all maintenance on the facility. And he does it all in a few hours a day."
"That sounds great. I am with corporate, I oversee the access studios in the New York metro area. I guess you could say I am Mark's boss, although we collaborate more than have a employee/employer relationship. Matthew I know we just met, but I need to ask you a favor." Sarah said.
"If I can do it and it's not illegal." Matthew replied.
"I know you can do it, and it's not illegal, but it is on the border." she said seriously. "You don't need to do anything but be silent about our activities today. A series of serious events have happened. I would like to tell you about them so you will see the importance of your keeping quiet. Can I trust you to keep it to yourself?"
"I don't know." Matthew said honestly. "If it is something terrible I have to live with myself."
"Fair enough. I guess I see why Mark brought you. You seem honest. Okay it's out on a limb time. Do you know that the company is evaluating scaling back the access stations to the legal minimum? They are pretty much a break even, and the stock holders are clamoring for profit. Our stock is not as strong as it once was. You with me so far?" She asked.
"Yes, even if I don't like it." He said.
"Good. Well a person above me in corporate is married to a man who has a show on this station. The show is called "Reno's Surplus Safari" and is about a man who goes from surplus store, to flea market, to yard sale getting good deals on man toys such as tools and outdoor equipment. His trademark- if he has one - is an old four wheel drive van, painted in camouflage. It turns out that he has bought the van, as well as a lot of his surplus items, using company funds. With his wife's help. And we don't want anyone to know." Sarah paused and looked at Matthew.
"That doesn't seem right." Matthew said. "The company should not be on the hook. Are you covering for her because she is your boss?"
"No, she will not be my boss after today. She is paying back everything and we are not pressing charges. We are also keeping the van as it was titled and registered to the company. They will however have to pay for it as well. In return we will keep quiet about it and not prosecute. The company does not need the press, it will be the last nail in the coffin for the access program as it stands today, our stock will take a hit, and justice is really being served now. They embezzled about ten grand. We have gotten it all back, and we have made out by keeping the vehicle. Do you think you can keep quiet about this situation now that you know the score?" She looked at him earnestly.
"Yes, but why tell me?" He asked. "Justice is served and Mark and Morty know. You could have just had me wait outside and I would have just driven it back unaware."
"Well." Sarah said with a wry grimace. "Here is where we need you."
"Mark, glad your here. I called you because I am sure you can be circumspect." She said.
"I'll do what I can Sarah." Mark said.
She flicked a tight smile at Matthew and proffered a hand. "I am Sarah MacLeod."
"Matthew." He returned with a smile.
"Good to meet you Matthew. You work with Mark?" she asked.
"Matthew is a new but vital member of our staff." Mark answered for him. "He has replaced our sound man temporarily, Works as a third on our remote team, and does all maintenance on the facility. And he does it all in a few hours a day."
"That sounds great. I am with corporate, I oversee the access studios in the New York metro area. I guess you could say I am Mark's boss, although we collaborate more than have a employee/employer relationship. Matthew I know we just met, but I need to ask you a favor." Sarah said.
"If I can do it and it's not illegal." Matthew replied.
"I know you can do it, and it's not illegal, but it is on the border." she said seriously. "You don't need to do anything but be silent about our activities today. A series of serious events have happened. I would like to tell you about them so you will see the importance of your keeping quiet. Can I trust you to keep it to yourself?"
"I don't know." Matthew said honestly. "If it is something terrible I have to live with myself."
"Fair enough. I guess I see why Mark brought you. You seem honest. Okay it's out on a limb time. Do you know that the company is evaluating scaling back the access stations to the legal minimum? They are pretty much a break even, and the stock holders are clamoring for profit. Our stock is not as strong as it once was. You with me so far?" She asked.
"Yes, even if I don't like it." He said.
"Good. Well a person above me in corporate is married to a man who has a show on this station. The show is called "Reno's Surplus Safari" and is about a man who goes from surplus store, to flea market, to yard sale getting good deals on man toys such as tools and outdoor equipment. His trademark- if he has one - is an old four wheel drive van, painted in camouflage. It turns out that he has bought the van, as well as a lot of his surplus items, using company funds. With his wife's help. And we don't want anyone to know." Sarah paused and looked at Matthew.
"That doesn't seem right." Matthew said. "The company should not be on the hook. Are you covering for her because she is your boss?"
"No, she will not be my boss after today. She is paying back everything and we are not pressing charges. We are also keeping the van as it was titled and registered to the company. They will however have to pay for it as well. In return we will keep quiet about it and not prosecute. The company does not need the press, it will be the last nail in the coffin for the access program as it stands today, our stock will take a hit, and justice is really being served now. They embezzled about ten grand. We have gotten it all back, and we have made out by keeping the vehicle. Do you think you can keep quiet about this situation now that you know the score?" She looked at him earnestly.
"Yes, but why tell me?" He asked. "Justice is served and Mark and Morty know. You could have just had me wait outside and I would have just driven it back unaware."
"Well." Sarah said with a wry grimace. "Here is where we need you."
"What can I do?" Matthew asked. "Mark was very nice in his description
of what I do for the company... He was very generous. Really... I'm
just a janitor."
"Well Matthew, I think I'm going to go with Mark on this one, he knows people very well. Frankly, we are going to ask you to be part of the coverup." Sarah said brusquely.
"WHAT?" asked Matthew in disbelief. "I don't think I'm corporate criminal type! I saw what happened to the folks at the last place I worked. They got a free ride to 1 police plaza in a blue and white car with flashing lights. I think you may have the wrong fella."
"I think you just proved we have the RIGHT fella." Sarah said with a smile. "We are not looking to do an ongoing bleed on the company, or defraud the stockholders in a way to cost them money. The law says we have to provide community access to those who live in our area. Otherwise we loose our license. But we like to offer more than a deck and a channel. It sets us apart from the pack, and let's us really offer a community service. If the program gets shut down it will hurt the little people in this community without affecting the companies bottom line in any way. Also you and the people you work with will all be out of work."
"I still do not want to commit a crime just to save my job, it just isn't who I am." Matthew said calmly.
"Which is why I would never ask you to commit a crime. Instead I am asking you to keep confidential corporate information that could affect or stock prices and employee salaries confidential. I also would like to exploit legal loopholes to both keep it confidential, exact corporate justice which falls within our charter, and benefit our customers, shareholders, and employees rather than the exact opposite. What we are doing is completely legal and you are not in any way committing a crime if you choose to help us. Would you listen to more? Or is this conversation over?" She crossed her arms across her chest and smiled slightly.
"Well Matthew, I think I'm going to go with Mark on this one, he knows people very well. Frankly, we are going to ask you to be part of the coverup." Sarah said brusquely.
"WHAT?" asked Matthew in disbelief. "I don't think I'm corporate criminal type! I saw what happened to the folks at the last place I worked. They got a free ride to 1 police plaza in a blue and white car with flashing lights. I think you may have the wrong fella."
"I think you just proved we have the RIGHT fella." Sarah said with a smile. "We are not looking to do an ongoing bleed on the company, or defraud the stockholders in a way to cost them money. The law says we have to provide community access to those who live in our area. Otherwise we loose our license. But we like to offer more than a deck and a channel. It sets us apart from the pack, and let's us really offer a community service. If the program gets shut down it will hurt the little people in this community without affecting the companies bottom line in any way. Also you and the people you work with will all be out of work."
"I still do not want to commit a crime just to save my job, it just isn't who I am." Matthew said calmly.
"Which is why I would never ask you to commit a crime. Instead I am asking you to keep confidential corporate information that could affect or stock prices and employee salaries confidential. I also would like to exploit legal loopholes to both keep it confidential, exact corporate justice which falls within our charter, and benefit our customers, shareholders, and employees rather than the exact opposite. What we are doing is completely legal and you are not in any way committing a crime if you choose to help us. Would you listen to more? Or is this conversation over?" She crossed her arms across her chest and smiled slightly.
"You make it sound very simple." Matthew said. "But I am not willing to
compromise on not breaking the law. And I also don't want to do
anything morally wrong either." He paused. "Why not just tell me simply
what you want me to do, and then I will make a decision. I will not
tell anyone else either way, deal?"
"Perfect." said Sarah. "That is what we are looking for. First the moral part. An quasi-employee stole from the company. He was helped by another employee. They have been let go. All money has been returned and a "fine" of half the amount stolen has been levied. We have protected our stockholders and the guilty have been punished. What moral code has been broken by not bringing a scandal to the company?"
"The knowledge that someone is criminal. The next company they work for can put them in a position to do the same thing without any warning." Matthew stated in a matter of fact tone.
"Two other moral obligations get involved here as well. And I don't think your looking at them." Sarah said. "First, as a public corporation our duty - legally - as well as morally is to our stock holders first and to our employees second. This has been proven in court time and again. SO how does bringing scandal to the company, perhaps costing hundreds of jobs, protect those interests?" She waited for Matthew to reply. When he didn't answer she asked him softly, "These moral questions are tough aren't they?"
"Yes, sometimes they are." He answered.
"Okay, so assuming justice will be done, the next part is to be sure that the information does not leak so that we are not dealing with this again in 6 months. The law does not allow us to tell anyone why an employee was let go, without a court order anyway- so personnel puts a seal on the employee file of Karen Reno. We simply cancel Desmond Reno's show. He will not complain, as he is not interested in jail. Now all employees involved in containing the damage sign non disclosure agreements. Including you." She paused and looked at Matthew with a question in her eyes.
"Agreed, at least so far." he said simply.
"So that leaves us one problem. A van that was not acquired through the proper channels, and has not gone through the capital expenditure and depreciation system. And that brings us to you." She smiled.
"Perfect." said Sarah. "That is what we are looking for. First the moral part. An quasi-employee stole from the company. He was helped by another employee. They have been let go. All money has been returned and a "fine" of half the amount stolen has been levied. We have protected our stockholders and the guilty have been punished. What moral code has been broken by not bringing a scandal to the company?"
"The knowledge that someone is criminal. The next company they work for can put them in a position to do the same thing without any warning." Matthew stated in a matter of fact tone.
"Two other moral obligations get involved here as well. And I don't think your looking at them." Sarah said. "First, as a public corporation our duty - legally - as well as morally is to our stock holders first and to our employees second. This has been proven in court time and again. SO how does bringing scandal to the company, perhaps costing hundreds of jobs, protect those interests?" She waited for Matthew to reply. When he didn't answer she asked him softly, "These moral questions are tough aren't they?"
"Yes, sometimes they are." He answered.
"Okay, so assuming justice will be done, the next part is to be sure that the information does not leak so that we are not dealing with this again in 6 months. The law does not allow us to tell anyone why an employee was let go, without a court order anyway- so personnel puts a seal on the employee file of Karen Reno. We simply cancel Desmond Reno's show. He will not complain, as he is not interested in jail. Now all employees involved in containing the damage sign non disclosure agreements. Including you." She paused and looked at Matthew with a question in her eyes.
"Agreed, at least so far." he said simply.
"So that leaves us one problem. A van that was not acquired through the proper channels, and has not gone through the capital expenditure and depreciation system. And that brings us to you." She smiled.
"And?" Matthew said when Sarah took a minute to continue.
"We want you to buy it." She said simply.
Matthew was silent for a second and then burst out laughing.
"Ms. MacLeod, I would love to. I just don't have any money. I am sorry you wasted your time explaining everything to me." Matthew said, half disappointed, half relieved.
"Oh, is that all. Well you won't be needing any. Does that change your opinion?" She gave another coy smile. "Interested?"
"It's not just purchase price, there is insurance and tax and DMV costs. I just can't afford that." He said.
"Yet." She answered.
"Okay." He said tiring of the banter. "I'll shut up and let you explain."
"Good idea." She said lightly. "The company has a program for interns which let them purchase things they may need to continue on with the company as a full time employee. Usually these are things like tools, equipment, computers and things like that. Usually these interns are college kids. Neither of these are written in stone. But some things are. Such as you must be a part time contract worker before applying... you are. You must never have been full time... you haven't been. You must be in college learning how to do some part of our business, or apprenticing at the company, or distance and/or self learning under your department heads supervision before applying... guess what? You win again. The next part is where we will need to do some changes. Sooo- are you interested in a full time position? A position where you are on salary. Work your own hours unless needed by the company. A job where you will be needing sayyyy.... a van?" She paused expectantly.
"How do I pay back the loan?" Matthew asked.
"It will come out of your check every week for two years. However the van would be titled to you right away." She said. " And we will include enough for tax, title, registration, and insurance for the first year in the loan."
"Kick in a paint job and you got a deal." Matthew said.
"Done. Would you like to see your new van, or would you like to hear about your new job?" Sarah asked.
Matthew just grinned.
"We want you to buy it." She said simply.
Matthew was silent for a second and then burst out laughing.
"Ms. MacLeod, I would love to. I just don't have any money. I am sorry you wasted your time explaining everything to me." Matthew said, half disappointed, half relieved.
"Oh, is that all. Well you won't be needing any. Does that change your opinion?" She gave another coy smile. "Interested?"
"It's not just purchase price, there is insurance and tax and DMV costs. I just can't afford that." He said.
"Yet." She answered.
"Okay." He said tiring of the banter. "I'll shut up and let you explain."
"Good idea." She said lightly. "The company has a program for interns which let them purchase things they may need to continue on with the company as a full time employee. Usually these are things like tools, equipment, computers and things like that. Usually these interns are college kids. Neither of these are written in stone. But some things are. Such as you must be a part time contract worker before applying... you are. You must never have been full time... you haven't been. You must be in college learning how to do some part of our business, or apprenticing at the company, or distance and/or self learning under your department heads supervision before applying... guess what? You win again. The next part is where we will need to do some changes. Sooo- are you interested in a full time position? A position where you are on salary. Work your own hours unless needed by the company. A job where you will be needing sayyyy.... a van?" She paused expectantly.
"How do I pay back the loan?" Matthew asked.
"It will come out of your check every week for two years. However the van would be titled to you right away." She said. " And we will include enough for tax, title, registration, and insurance for the first year in the loan."
"Kick in a paint job and you got a deal." Matthew said.
"Done. Would you like to see your new van, or would you like to hear about your new job?" Sarah asked.
Matthew just grinned.
Matthew is just realigning the poles of his life now. It would be a
mistake for him to get involved. If something amazing happened. Some
electro chemical jolt, or a situation where he was forced into contact
with someone and an attraction followed... then perhaps it would be in
character. Even though he is going through paradigm changes.
It probably wouldn't work out though unless she were going through those same paradigm changes with him and they had a common anchor (kids, a business together, a common need to survive a war zone, etc.) People attracted to someone in a growth cycle may not necessarily be attracted to them at the end of that cycle, just as some people love their puppy, till it turns into a big, drooling, shedding dog.
Another point is that USUALLY (not always by any measure) women are attracted to men more powerful than themselves or at least equal. It would be unusual for a female executive to be interested in a subordinates subordinate. Perhaps because he has inside information that could damage her (the cover up) she might ascribe power to him... perhaps not.
And these are all generalizations anyway.
At any rate, we may be seeing Sarah again, we may not (don't want to be a spoiler) And Matthew may have a love interest, he may not, but neither of those situations is occurring presently.
It probably wouldn't work out though unless she were going through those same paradigm changes with him and they had a common anchor (kids, a business together, a common need to survive a war zone, etc.) People attracted to someone in a growth cycle may not necessarily be attracted to them at the end of that cycle, just as some people love their puppy, till it turns into a big, drooling, shedding dog.
Another point is that USUALLY (not always by any measure) women are attracted to men more powerful than themselves or at least equal. It would be unusual for a female executive to be interested in a subordinates subordinate. Perhaps because he has inside information that could damage her (the cover up) she might ascribe power to him... perhaps not.
And these are all generalizations anyway.
At any rate, we may be seeing Sarah again, we may not (don't want to be a spoiler) And Matthew may have a love interest, he may not, but neither of those situations is occurring presently.
"Well, let me hear about the job... it's full time?" Matthew asked.
"It's actually a salary non scheduled job. It could be more than full time some weeks and part time on others. You will continue your work for Mark in the same capacity as you are currently doing. In addition, you will work as a runner/courier for the access stations in the metro area. That will include the city, parts of Jersey, Connecticut, and Long Island. There is not a whole lot of stuff getting couriered... Figure three or four a week for the most part. That may pick up once they get used to having you around." She said. "In addition, you will be required to continue your education in sound under Mark's guidance, but now, you MUST show progress... This is not as free a ride as that, you still have to meet the programs guide lines."
"One question. Why me?" Matthew asked. "I haven't been here that long."
"Three people in the metro area, which is my domain, could have qualified. One is eighty years old. One is not a person we felt could work with us on this for personality reasons. The other is you. If there were a wider pool, you might not have been called." She answered.
"So I guess I am just Lucky I guess." Matthew said with a smile.
"If the coverup comes out, you might not think so." Sarah winked. "And we will see how you like New York City traffic when someone is on a cell phone screaming at you to hurry the heck up."
"That's okay, I am pretty good at getting yelled at, I was married." Matthew quipped. They all laughed. "So do I still work for Mark?"
"Yes, I am not your supervisor in any way. Nothing has changed but your salary, and now you do some running." She said. "If there are no more questions, we can head back to the lot, and you can see your beast."
"No more questions, yet!" said Matthew, rising to his feet.
"It's actually a salary non scheduled job. It could be more than full time some weeks and part time on others. You will continue your work for Mark in the same capacity as you are currently doing. In addition, you will work as a runner/courier for the access stations in the metro area. That will include the city, parts of Jersey, Connecticut, and Long Island. There is not a whole lot of stuff getting couriered... Figure three or four a week for the most part. That may pick up once they get used to having you around." She said. "In addition, you will be required to continue your education in sound under Mark's guidance, but now, you MUST show progress... This is not as free a ride as that, you still have to meet the programs guide lines."
"One question. Why me?" Matthew asked. "I haven't been here that long."
"Three people in the metro area, which is my domain, could have qualified. One is eighty years old. One is not a person we felt could work with us on this for personality reasons. The other is you. If there were a wider pool, you might not have been called." She answered.
"So I guess I am just Lucky I guess." Matthew said with a smile.
"If the coverup comes out, you might not think so." Sarah winked. "And we will see how you like New York City traffic when someone is on a cell phone screaming at you to hurry the heck up."
"That's okay, I am pretty good at getting yelled at, I was married." Matthew quipped. They all laughed. "So do I still work for Mark?"
"Yes, I am not your supervisor in any way. Nothing has changed but your salary, and now you do some running." She said. "If there are no more questions, we can head back to the lot, and you can see your beast."
"No more questions, yet!" said Matthew, rising to his feet.
As they walked towards the back of the studio, Mark leaned across to Matthew and said "Surprised?"
"Ummm YEAH! Why didn't you clue me in?" Matthew returned.
"I wasn't sure she was going through with it until the last minute. Morty found out about it as the same time you did. He knew about the embezzling, not your part." Mark said. "That's why I was lying in wait for you at the front of the studio."
"I thought you just grabbed me because I was the first one you saw." Matthew said.
Mark chuckled. "I'm a good straight man."
"What if I didn't have a license?" asked Matthew.
"We would have taken a cab, and you would be lining up a driving school right about now." Mark replied. "You will probably have to leave it at work some nights if you can't find street parking. Putting a van in a hourly garage is like a days wage."
"I have a spot in the garage at my apartment complex." Matthew said. "Didn't think I would be using it."
Mark just smiled and grunted.
Morty opened the back door, and sitting in the alley was the object of today's actions.
It was a 1979 Ford E250, with a well done camo pattern and purple signs advertising Desmond Reno's show. Sarah handed the key to Matthew. Matthew opened the door and looked inside. He didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised at the condition. It wasn't fancy, but looked like it had been recently restored. He got in.
The back had a bench seat and a cage to keep cargo behind it. There were camera mounts on both sides behind the driver and front passenger seats.
The vehicle was in very good shape, and except for the paint job Matthew was pleased. It started right up and he turned on the radio. It worked so he shut it off, refraining from playing with the CB.
"I think it's great, except the paint job, between the camo and great big purple signs, I look like some kind of freak." He laughed.
"Hey, these signs are magnetic!" Mark said, peeling one off.
"That's some improvement. Now I just look like the cities lone redneck!" Matthew said.
"Or a militia wannabe!" Mark quipped.
"Without the sign to explain the paint job, you will probably get stopped by DHS everytime you hit a bridge or tunnel!" Morty added.
"Great!" said Matthew laughing.
"If you boys are done playing, I have to get back to midtown. Matthew lets do the paperwork, and then I can be the first package you deliver. " Sarah said.
They all headed back to the office and the waiting stack of legal work.
"Ummm YEAH! Why didn't you clue me in?" Matthew returned.
"I wasn't sure she was going through with it until the last minute. Morty found out about it as the same time you did. He knew about the embezzling, not your part." Mark said. "That's why I was lying in wait for you at the front of the studio."
"I thought you just grabbed me because I was the first one you saw." Matthew said.
Mark chuckled. "I'm a good straight man."
"What if I didn't have a license?" asked Matthew.
"We would have taken a cab, and you would be lining up a driving school right about now." Mark replied. "You will probably have to leave it at work some nights if you can't find street parking. Putting a van in a hourly garage is like a days wage."
"I have a spot in the garage at my apartment complex." Matthew said. "Didn't think I would be using it."
Mark just smiled and grunted.
Morty opened the back door, and sitting in the alley was the object of today's actions.
It was a 1979 Ford E250, with a well done camo pattern and purple signs advertising Desmond Reno's show. Sarah handed the key to Matthew. Matthew opened the door and looked inside. He didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised at the condition. It wasn't fancy, but looked like it had been recently restored. He got in.
The back had a bench seat and a cage to keep cargo behind it. There were camera mounts on both sides behind the driver and front passenger seats.
The vehicle was in very good shape, and except for the paint job Matthew was pleased. It started right up and he turned on the radio. It worked so he shut it off, refraining from playing with the CB.
"I think it's great, except the paint job, between the camo and great big purple signs, I look like some kind of freak." He laughed.
"Hey, these signs are magnetic!" Mark said, peeling one off.
"That's some improvement. Now I just look like the cities lone redneck!" Matthew said.
"Or a militia wannabe!" Mark quipped.
"Without the sign to explain the paint job, you will probably get stopped by DHS everytime you hit a bridge or tunnel!" Morty added.
"Great!" said Matthew laughing.
"If you boys are done playing, I have to get back to midtown. Matthew lets do the paperwork, and then I can be the first package you deliver. " Sarah said.
They all headed back to the office and the waiting stack of legal work.
In the office Sarah handed Matthew several forms that had already been
filled out. She explained that her secretary had done them so that the
process could be streamlined. Matthew quickly read through them and saw
nothing objectionable, so he signed at the space indicated and was
rewarded with a raise, insurance, copies of all the paperwork, a
handbook on the program for interns they were abusing, and one well
preserved van.
"The plates are registered to the company, so as an employee there is no problem with your driving it. But we need to get it transferred as soon as possible. The EZ-Pass toll payer is also with the company, you can hold onto that, but I will be paying attention to it. I don't care if once in a while you hit the company for a toll, but if you get nuts- your gonna be hearing about it. Keep mileage records for the road, we will be paying you mileage when you use the van for business, and you can fill up at the Hess by the studio. We have an account. Otherwise get a receipt. You are expected to pay for your own use gas, but the company doesn't expect you to pay for ours. Any questions?" Sarah asked.
"Not right now. But I am sure I will have some later." He replied.
"Good, then you can drop me in Manhattan and we can forget this chapter in our book." Sarah stated simply. She said goodbye to the others and led Matthew to his new van.
"The plates are registered to the company, so as an employee there is no problem with your driving it. But we need to get it transferred as soon as possible. The EZ-Pass toll payer is also with the company, you can hold onto that, but I will be paying attention to it. I don't care if once in a while you hit the company for a toll, but if you get nuts- your gonna be hearing about it. Keep mileage records for the road, we will be paying you mileage when you use the van for business, and you can fill up at the Hess by the studio. We have an account. Otherwise get a receipt. You are expected to pay for your own use gas, but the company doesn't expect you to pay for ours. Any questions?" Sarah asked.
"Not right now. But I am sure I will have some later." He replied.
"Good, then you can drop me in Manhattan and we can forget this chapter in our book." Sarah stated simply. She said goodbye to the others and led Matthew to his new van.
Matthew soon became accustomed to the flow of New York City driving.
Within a couple of hours he had dropped her at her office and returned
to the studio. once there, he rushed through his duties so as to make it
home in time to meet everyone coming to help him to make his move
downstairs.
As he was headed out he heard John yell, "Matthew hold up, I'll take the bus with you!"
Matthew realized he had been so wrapped up in going home, he had forgotten to tell his friends about his mornings adventure.
He stopped and yelled back, "I am not taking the bus today!"
"Ah! You have gotten the teleporter to work then?" Luc said sardonically, stepping up behind Matthew.
"Nah!" Matthew said. "People keep turning into bugs with that thing."
As he was headed out he heard John yell, "Matthew hold up, I'll take the bus with you!"
Matthew realized he had been so wrapped up in going home, he had forgotten to tell his friends about his mornings adventure.
He stopped and yelled back, "I am not taking the bus today!"
"Ah! You have gotten the teleporter to work then?" Luc said sardonically, stepping up behind Matthew.
"Nah!" Matthew said. "People keep turning into bugs with that thing."
"Ha Ha" said John, "So what are you going to do? Walk?"
"Nah!" Luc added. "He will merely wait until we mere mortals have moved all of his belongings down to his new place, and then arrive via taxi- in time for dinner." Luc feigned a formal bow.
"There is something wrong with you guys!" Matthew said shaking his head with a smile. "Actually, your not taking the bus today either John, Come outside and I will show you why."
"I'll bite!" said John and pushed past Luc, and out the front door.
When the three friends got out to the parking lot, Matthew pointed and said, "voila! my new van." with a flourish.
"Did you join the military?" asked Luc.
John shook his head and laughed and said, "Some hillbilly is going to be awful ticked off you stole his vacation home."
"Your City Snob is showing!" Luc said to John.
"Did it offend you?" John asked with a twinkle in his eye.
"Yes!" said Luc, completely unoffendedly.
"Good!" came Johns canned reply.
"Where did you get such a van? I thought you were as broke as the rest of us?" Luc asked with a smile.
"The company gave me a loan." Said Matthew. "Cuz I joined an internship program they provide.
"Nah!" Luc added. "He will merely wait until we mere mortals have moved all of his belongings down to his new place, and then arrive via taxi- in time for dinner." Luc feigned a formal bow.
"There is something wrong with you guys!" Matthew said shaking his head with a smile. "Actually, your not taking the bus today either John, Come outside and I will show you why."
"I'll bite!" said John and pushed past Luc, and out the front door.
When the three friends got out to the parking lot, Matthew pointed and said, "voila! my new van." with a flourish.
"Did you join the military?" asked Luc.
John shook his head and laughed and said, "Some hillbilly is going to be awful ticked off you stole his vacation home."
"Your City Snob is showing!" Luc said to John.
"Did it offend you?" John asked with a twinkle in his eye.
"Yes!" said Luc, completely unoffendedly.
"Good!" came Johns canned reply.
"Where did you get such a van? I thought you were as broke as the rest of us?" Luc asked with a smile.
"The company gave me a loan." Said Matthew. "Cuz I joined an internship program they provide.
"So, your our new intern? That will be fun... I didn't even know we
were getting one." John said. "Aren't we supposed to haze interns or
something?"
"Just having to speak to you is hazing enough." Matthew said tiredly, then he grinned. "Ready to take your first ride?"
"Dunno!" said John, "Do I have to join the revolution?"
"You DO need to paint this thing Matthew!" said Luc.
"It's getting painted soon. And I will tell you all about how it came to be at my place. But if we don't hurry up, the women will eat all the food!" Matthew returned.
"That is true! Let's go!" said Luc.
The car and the van pulled up at the same time in front of Matthews and John's building, and Luc walked up to them when he got out of his car.
"What is the box under your van?" he asked Matthew.
"I don't know. What do you mean?" Matthew said.
"My car is low, your van is high. Look under the back and you will see what I mean."
Luc said leading the way to the back of the van.
The three men were leaning under the van trying to figure out what the large steel box was when Jane and the Colonel came up behind them.
"Looking for Jimmy Hoffa?" the Colonel said.
"Who?" asked John.
"Never Mind." said the Colonel with a grin. "What are you three peering at?"
"This box under Matthew's new van." Luc said. "We don't know what it is."
"Matthew's van?" asked Jane. "Why is it painted like an army thing. I didn't know you had a vehicle."
"It was a prop at a cable access show." Matthew said. "And, I just got it."
"Congratulations!" said Jane. "I hope you got a good deal!" she added expectantly.
"I did." Matthew laughed. "I will tell you all the story at the same time."
The Colonel squatted down and looked under the van.
"It is an extended range gas tank." He said. "There is probably a toggle switch in the cab to activate it. Since there is only one gas fill, You probably have to open the valve between tanks to fill it, and you switch fuel pumps to use it. That is what the toggle is for. This is a military model. They were meant to be interchangeable, but this one has been welded in." The Colonel paused and said. "A lot of military spec parts under here. Curious."
"You boys can play grease monkey later!" Jane said, "Lets get up and get moving so we can finish and eat. Here comes your wife Luc."
As Marie and her mother got out of the car, Luc grabbed the baby, and everyone else took the food from Annies car and put it into Janes cart to bring upstairs.
"Just having to speak to you is hazing enough." Matthew said tiredly, then he grinned. "Ready to take your first ride?"
"Dunno!" said John, "Do I have to join the revolution?"
"You DO need to paint this thing Matthew!" said Luc.
"It's getting painted soon. And I will tell you all about how it came to be at my place. But if we don't hurry up, the women will eat all the food!" Matthew returned.
"That is true! Let's go!" said Luc.
The car and the van pulled up at the same time in front of Matthews and John's building, and Luc walked up to them when he got out of his car.
"What is the box under your van?" he asked Matthew.
"I don't know. What do you mean?" Matthew said.
"My car is low, your van is high. Look under the back and you will see what I mean."
Luc said leading the way to the back of the van.
The three men were leaning under the van trying to figure out what the large steel box was when Jane and the Colonel came up behind them.
"Looking for Jimmy Hoffa?" the Colonel said.
"Who?" asked John.
"Never Mind." said the Colonel with a grin. "What are you three peering at?"
"This box under Matthew's new van." Luc said. "We don't know what it is."
"Matthew's van?" asked Jane. "Why is it painted like an army thing. I didn't know you had a vehicle."
"It was a prop at a cable access show." Matthew said. "And, I just got it."
"Congratulations!" said Jane. "I hope you got a good deal!" she added expectantly.
"I did." Matthew laughed. "I will tell you all the story at the same time."
The Colonel squatted down and looked under the van.
"It is an extended range gas tank." He said. "There is probably a toggle switch in the cab to activate it. Since there is only one gas fill, You probably have to open the valve between tanks to fill it, and you switch fuel pumps to use it. That is what the toggle is for. This is a military model. They were meant to be interchangeable, but this one has been welded in." The Colonel paused and said. "A lot of military spec parts under here. Curious."
"You boys can play grease monkey later!" Jane said, "Lets get up and get moving so we can finish and eat. Here comes your wife Luc."
As Marie and her mother got out of the car, Luc grabbed the baby, and everyone else took the food from Annies car and put it into Janes cart to bring upstairs.
When they reached Matthew's apartment, John and Luc plopped down on the
couch and refused to move until Matthew spilled the beans on his new
acquisition. Matthew had been turning over in his head, and heart, what
he was going to tell them without violating the non-disclosure
agreement he had signed and his promise. He did not want to lie to his
friends.
"These three men have just planned this as a diversion to keep from working!" Marie said, tousling Luc's hair as she stood behind him.
"You cannot rub me off this couch woman!" Luc said laughing. "We want to know what is going on. Perhaps Matthew is being taken advantage of? Perhaps we can take advantage of a program? Dish Matthew!" He punched Matthew lightly on his arm.
"I have no problem telling you what I can." Matthew said. "It's really quite simple. Our location had a person who, just so happened, qualified for the program. Mark suggested it to me and the company. He gets more help, the company gets to be rid of a van they were stuck with when Reno's show was cancelled, I get a raise and a van. There was really nothing more to it." He said aloud, while adding in his head-"that I can tell you."
"It seems so boring now that I know the facts." John said disappointedly. "My reporter nose wants to find better stories than that. I had myself all worked up."
"Well, now that we know the facts, lets get Matthew moved so that we can eat. The aroma coming from that shopping cart is killing me." The Colonel said with a smile. "And this furniture is not going to grow legs and move itself."
The Colonel stood up and lifted the side of the couch he had vacated. John, who had been sitting in the middle of the couch, rolled practically onto Luc's lap. "Who's got the other side?" He said innocently.
"John! Luc is MY man, quit hitting on him!" Marie said laughing. "He is a married man!"
Luc got to his feet, hopping of the couch from under John, grabbed the other side of the couch and lifted it as well. This left Johns feet at least two feet from the floor. He shook his head and groaned. Then he jumped off and said to the Colonel, "You fit right in with our Jokesters Matthew and Luc. You should try to be more sedate, like ME!"
Everyone burst out laughing.
Jane said,"You two brutes put that off to the side. Lets do this move in an orderly fashion. Lets bring one room at a time down. If we start with the living room, we shall have to maneuver around the furniture every trip. I suggest we move the kitchen down first. Then we ladies can put things away as you men bring them in. That is as long as Matthew thinks we can be trusted to organize for him?" She looked at Matthew expectantly.
"It's fine with me, as long as you aren't offended if I move things around later." He replied.
"Then it's settled. Colonel, Luc, you two just slide that couch to the side of the room so that it is not in our way, and let's get going on the kitchen." Jane ordered with a smile.
The men obliged and placed the couch where she indicated. Luc rubbed his arm and said to the Colonel. "You keep yourself in pretty good shape Colonel Whinks."
"JOHN!" Marie mock shouted. "Do you see what you have started? Now Luc is flirting with the Colonel!"
"Oh brother!" said Matthew, grabbing his keys and a box of kitchen items, and heading out the door.
The rest of the group followed, carrying bags and boxes while they laughed and giggled amongst themselves.
"These three men have just planned this as a diversion to keep from working!" Marie said, tousling Luc's hair as she stood behind him.
"You cannot rub me off this couch woman!" Luc said laughing. "We want to know what is going on. Perhaps Matthew is being taken advantage of? Perhaps we can take advantage of a program? Dish Matthew!" He punched Matthew lightly on his arm.
"I have no problem telling you what I can." Matthew said. "It's really quite simple. Our location had a person who, just so happened, qualified for the program. Mark suggested it to me and the company. He gets more help, the company gets to be rid of a van they were stuck with when Reno's show was cancelled, I get a raise and a van. There was really nothing more to it." He said aloud, while adding in his head-"that I can tell you."
"It seems so boring now that I know the facts." John said disappointedly. "My reporter nose wants to find better stories than that. I had myself all worked up."
"Well, now that we know the facts, lets get Matthew moved so that we can eat. The aroma coming from that shopping cart is killing me." The Colonel said with a smile. "And this furniture is not going to grow legs and move itself."
The Colonel stood up and lifted the side of the couch he had vacated. John, who had been sitting in the middle of the couch, rolled practically onto Luc's lap. "Who's got the other side?" He said innocently.
"John! Luc is MY man, quit hitting on him!" Marie said laughing. "He is a married man!"
Luc got to his feet, hopping of the couch from under John, grabbed the other side of the couch and lifted it as well. This left Johns feet at least two feet from the floor. He shook his head and groaned. Then he jumped off and said to the Colonel, "You fit right in with our Jokesters Matthew and Luc. You should try to be more sedate, like ME!"
Everyone burst out laughing.
Jane said,"You two brutes put that off to the side. Lets do this move in an orderly fashion. Lets bring one room at a time down. If we start with the living room, we shall have to maneuver around the furniture every trip. I suggest we move the kitchen down first. Then we ladies can put things away as you men bring them in. That is as long as Matthew thinks we can be trusted to organize for him?" She looked at Matthew expectantly.
"It's fine with me, as long as you aren't offended if I move things around later." He replied.
"Then it's settled. Colonel, Luc, you two just slide that couch to the side of the room so that it is not in our way, and let's get going on the kitchen." Jane ordered with a smile.
The men obliged and placed the couch where she indicated. Luc rubbed his arm and said to the Colonel. "You keep yourself in pretty good shape Colonel Whinks."
"JOHN!" Marie mock shouted. "Do you see what you have started? Now Luc is flirting with the Colonel!"
"Oh brother!" said Matthew, grabbing his keys and a box of kitchen items, and heading out the door.
The rest of the group followed, carrying bags and boxes while they laughed and giggled amongst themselves.
When the group reached the new apartment everyone dropped their loads in
the kitchen, then Matthew gave them the nickle tour. It was almost
exactly the same as the tour he had received from Laszlo. They were all
suitably impressed with his back door directly to the garage.
When they got to the storage cages, Jane got an interested look in her eyes, "What is being done with these storage cages?" she asked Matthew. "They are all empty."
"Maybe they are painting them... They could use it!" John said.
"No, they are very dusty." said Luc. "They have been empty for a very long time."
"The building stopped renting them because of reoccurring theft." Matthew said. "Mr. Green said I could rent them out if I wanted to, but I don't think he cares."
"Can you rent them to people who don't live here?" asked Jane.
"I don't think I have any rules like that." said Matthew. "Why? Interested?"
"I might be. I will let you know." she replied.
The group returned to the task at hand, and with little more occurrence, had Matthew moved in about 2 hours.
"That's an end to it." said the Colonel as he tightened the last bolt on Matthew's bed frame. He handed the wrench to Luc with one hand, and extended him the other for a hand up. Luc grunted as he helped the older man up.
"I must be tired from moving Matthew's furniture all day, or you are made of rocks Colonel!" He said laughing.
"The rocks are all in his head!" said Jane, entering the room. "Dinner is ready."
"Only shrapnel and air in there." the colonel said smiling.
Even though he was joking, it struck the other men in the room. Matthew was moved to ask, "Does it bother you?" in a quiet, serious voice.
"If you mean does it hurt... not at all. It did, but not now. I hardly ever think about it." The Colonel answered candidly
"That's good at least." said John.
"It's the other part that bothers me...." The Colonel started.
When they got to the storage cages, Jane got an interested look in her eyes, "What is being done with these storage cages?" she asked Matthew. "They are all empty."
"Maybe they are painting them... They could use it!" John said.
"No, they are very dusty." said Luc. "They have been empty for a very long time."
"The building stopped renting them because of reoccurring theft." Matthew said. "Mr. Green said I could rent them out if I wanted to, but I don't think he cares."
"Can you rent them to people who don't live here?" asked Jane.
"I don't think I have any rules like that." said Matthew. "Why? Interested?"
"I might be. I will let you know." she replied.
The group returned to the task at hand, and with little more occurrence, had Matthew moved in about 2 hours.
"That's an end to it." said the Colonel as he tightened the last bolt on Matthew's bed frame. He handed the wrench to Luc with one hand, and extended him the other for a hand up. Luc grunted as he helped the older man up.
"I must be tired from moving Matthew's furniture all day, or you are made of rocks Colonel!" He said laughing.
"The rocks are all in his head!" said Jane, entering the room. "Dinner is ready."
"Only shrapnel and air in there." the colonel said smiling.
Even though he was joking, it struck the other men in the room. Matthew was moved to ask, "Does it bother you?" in a quiet, serious voice.
"If you mean does it hurt... not at all. It did, but not now. I hardly ever think about it." The Colonel answered candidly
"That's good at least." said John.
"It's the other part that bothers me...." The Colonel started.
"What other part?" Asked Luc.
"My time sense. I am sure you all heard about it from blabbermouth Jane. Not that I care if you know. It just makes it difficult to have friends, or hold a job. Also, my memories are out of order somewhat. It's hard both conversationally, and occasionally emotionally. " The Colonel explained.
"Why would it be hard to hold a job?" asked John. "I would think any company would want a guy who will work through the night if asked, and maybe not even notice."
"No one minds that part. It's when I don't show up for two days, they fire and replace me!" The Colonel laughed softly. "And tell me I need rehab when I don't realize days have passed."
"I guess there is the other side too." Answered John.
"It also makes relationships difficult. Try living with someone who might be up when your sleeping - all the time." The colonel shook his head.
"It doesn't sound so hard." said Jane. "As long as he is doing the dishes for me. Which is all that will be left if you lazy men don't get to the table."
"My time sense. I am sure you all heard about it from blabbermouth Jane. Not that I care if you know. It just makes it difficult to have friends, or hold a job. Also, my memories are out of order somewhat. It's hard both conversationally, and occasionally emotionally. " The Colonel explained.
"Why would it be hard to hold a job?" asked John. "I would think any company would want a guy who will work through the night if asked, and maybe not even notice."
"No one minds that part. It's when I don't show up for two days, they fire and replace me!" The Colonel laughed softly. "And tell me I need rehab when I don't realize days have passed."
"I guess there is the other side too." Answered John.
"It also makes relationships difficult. Try living with someone who might be up when your sleeping - all the time." The colonel shook his head.
"It doesn't sound so hard." said Jane. "As long as he is doing the dishes for me. Which is all that will be left if you lazy men don't get to the table."
"That would be a tragedy my dear lady. After pushing that cart block
after block, smelling your chicken... why I would never forgive myself
for not sampling it. I have a sense of ownership!" The colonel replied
with a flourish. "Let's get to the chicken!"
The group made their way into the kitchen. The kitchen in the new apartment was bigger than the old one. Barely. But enough to allow the group to sit around the table together, baby balanced on Luc's knee.
They didn't discuss their homework at all while they ate. They talked about other things, such as the baby, Matthew's furniture, and how much they were enjoying dinner.
When dinner was mostly finished, John surprised everyone by volunteering for dish duty. The Colonel and Luc both jumped on the bandwagon. The three men soon had an assembly line going, much to the amusement of the ladies present.
When they had finished, the Colonel looked at Jane and said, "There woman! I have done your dishes!" He gave her a exaggerated wink much to her embarrassment, and everyone else's glee.
The Colonel walked over to Jane's cart, and removed a bag. He brought it over to the table, and presented a bottle. "Would anyone else like to partake of an after dinner drink. It's just Dewar's, but it pairs well with friends."
Soon they were all settled and sipping Scotch or coffee. Matthew cleared his throat and told his friends about his conversation with Ben. Marie had done a similar thing in the grocery store. John had a list of things from the phone book. They went over each in turn.
After reporting about Ben, Luc suggested he might be a good addition to the group. The Colonel suggested waiting until they knew more about him. "After all, he might be opposed to doubting the government line. No sense in alienating a friend if his belief system is far from yours. You should lead into it gently... feel him out conversationally."
Matthew agreed with the Colonels assessment.
Marie talked about the grocery store, most things that they needed, she began, could be grown in NYC on a rooftop garden, if available. However she did not know about gardening. Nor did she know about processing meat.
"The real problem is not food.." She started.
"It's the lack of it!" said Luc.
"It's the lack of beer!" John chimed in.
"It's the lack of manners!" Susie scolded them. "Both of you behave, or I will take my shoe off and paddle each of you."
Luc instantly settled down. John followed suit.
"You need to teach me how to do that Mother." Marie said smiling.
"It's all in the tone dear." Susie said. "And I have been training Luc his whole life, eh?"
After the giggles died down, Marie continued. "It is manufactured things, salt, tropical things like vanilla or coffee or chocolate, and paper products like toilet paper, paper towels (which you are almost out of by the way Matthew) and for me at least, tampons, cleaning products, and dairy products."
"Jane can help you with a lot of this stuff" said Matthew. "Like the cleaning products and paper towels. Tampons- your on your own."
"Actually I can help with that one." Said the Colonel. "I have traveled a great deal. I know that once I was at an outdoor market in the Caribbean.
There was a stand there selling what they called "Menstrual Cups". They looked like a baby bottle nipple. How they worked is beyond me. However the woman said they have been around longer than commercial tampons, and are more commonly used in the third world."
"Okay! Enough of this conversation!" said John.
The group made their way into the kitchen. The kitchen in the new apartment was bigger than the old one. Barely. But enough to allow the group to sit around the table together, baby balanced on Luc's knee.
They didn't discuss their homework at all while they ate. They talked about other things, such as the baby, Matthew's furniture, and how much they were enjoying dinner.
When dinner was mostly finished, John surprised everyone by volunteering for dish duty. The Colonel and Luc both jumped on the bandwagon. The three men soon had an assembly line going, much to the amusement of the ladies present.
When they had finished, the Colonel looked at Jane and said, "There woman! I have done your dishes!" He gave her a exaggerated wink much to her embarrassment, and everyone else's glee.
The Colonel walked over to Jane's cart, and removed a bag. He brought it over to the table, and presented a bottle. "Would anyone else like to partake of an after dinner drink. It's just Dewar's, but it pairs well with friends."
Soon they were all settled and sipping Scotch or coffee. Matthew cleared his throat and told his friends about his conversation with Ben. Marie had done a similar thing in the grocery store. John had a list of things from the phone book. They went over each in turn.
After reporting about Ben, Luc suggested he might be a good addition to the group. The Colonel suggested waiting until they knew more about him. "After all, he might be opposed to doubting the government line. No sense in alienating a friend if his belief system is far from yours. You should lead into it gently... feel him out conversationally."
Matthew agreed with the Colonels assessment.
Marie talked about the grocery store, most things that they needed, she began, could be grown in NYC on a rooftop garden, if available. However she did not know about gardening. Nor did she know about processing meat.
"The real problem is not food.." She started.
"It's the lack of it!" said Luc.
"It's the lack of beer!" John chimed in.
"It's the lack of manners!" Susie scolded them. "Both of you behave, or I will take my shoe off and paddle each of you."
Luc instantly settled down. John followed suit.
"You need to teach me how to do that Mother." Marie said smiling.
"It's all in the tone dear." Susie said. "And I have been training Luc his whole life, eh?"
After the giggles died down, Marie continued. "It is manufactured things, salt, tropical things like vanilla or coffee or chocolate, and paper products like toilet paper, paper towels (which you are almost out of by the way Matthew) and for me at least, tampons, cleaning products, and dairy products."
"Jane can help you with a lot of this stuff" said Matthew. "Like the cleaning products and paper towels. Tampons- your on your own."
"Actually I can help with that one." Said the Colonel. "I have traveled a great deal. I know that once I was at an outdoor market in the Caribbean.
There was a stand there selling what they called "Menstrual Cups". They looked like a baby bottle nipple. How they worked is beyond me. However the woman said they have been around longer than commercial tampons, and are more commonly used in the third world."
"Okay! Enough of this conversation!" said John.
"Well, your not ENTIRELY right my dear Colonel." Said Susie teasingly.
"The Egyptians have been using tampons made of papyrus since the time of
the Pharaohs, and the Europeans have used lint or wood or a combination
since at least the 19th century, often with disastrous results. Toxic
shock syndrome is not a fun thing. But you are right that menstrual
cups are older than MODERN disposable tampons. Cups have been massed
produced since the thirties, and disposable tampons showed up in the
late forties."
"What are you, an expert on menstruation?" Luc asked his mother quizzically.
"I have the history channel!" She said, feigning haughtiness. "You need to watch something besides soap operas!" She gave his cheek a shaking pinch.
"I stand corrected!" said the Colonel.
"I stand disturbed!" said John. "Eww!"
"Natural part of life John!" said Matthew, slightly irritated. "If we are serious about figuring this out the possibilities, we need to know all of them. Not just the pleasant ones. Marie may not be the only one who has that need in our lives if anything happens. There is no such thing as bad knowledge."
"I guess in a future without Tampax, menstrual cups would be quite valuable!" Said Luc. "Dr. Cummings would approve. Future value cannot be calculated by today's situation anymore."
"I guess your right. Sorry guys. Just never been comfortable with any menstrual talk. Period!" John apologized, and then burst into laughter as he realized what he had said.
"What are you, an expert on menstruation?" Luc asked his mother quizzically.
"I have the history channel!" She said, feigning haughtiness. "You need to watch something besides soap operas!" She gave his cheek a shaking pinch.
"I stand corrected!" said the Colonel.
"I stand disturbed!" said John. "Eww!"
"Natural part of life John!" said Matthew, slightly irritated. "If we are serious about figuring this out the possibilities, we need to know all of them. Not just the pleasant ones. Marie may not be the only one who has that need in our lives if anything happens. There is no such thing as bad knowledge."
"I guess in a future without Tampax, menstrual cups would be quite valuable!" Said Luc. "Dr. Cummings would approve. Future value cannot be calculated by today's situation anymore."
"I guess your right. Sorry guys. Just never been comfortable with any menstrual talk. Period!" John apologized, and then burst into laughter as he realized what he had said.
"Ignoring THAT!" said Matthew, "We are going to have to decide how
serious we are about all of this. Because, if we are serious, than it
has to be all the way. In for a penny, in for a pound."
"Let's not get obsessive Matthew." John said worriedly.
The Colonel chuckled, and recited in a sing song voice"
"For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail."
"I believe Matthew is right." said Luc in a quiet voice. Then, gaining confidence in his decision continued more forcefully, "I believe in what Dr. Cummings has said. We have looked at the other facts. We will be having a full blown depression in this country in my lifetime. I don't know when, but I know it is now inevitable and unavoidable. I have a family to protect. In for a penny, in for a pound."
Jane looked around, and said, "I believe we should put it to a vote. Who here thinks economic collapse is imminent?"
All hands rose but John's. He looked around and said, shaking his head. "I believe it will be a great recession. But the Great Depression already happened. Politicians won't let it happen again. I think this is a great exercise, but if we don't stock period materials, someone will have them, or we will invent our own. What's the big deal."
Marie looked at John and asked, "But John, don't you believe Dr. Cummings?"
"I do. I kind of.... I do up to a point." He replied. "But part of me screams out that he makes his living spouting this doom and gloom stuff. I mean follow the money. The worse the economic news, the more we cling to this stuff, but when times are good, He looses money."
"You my friend are bonkers." said Luc. "You were the biggest pusher of this stuff till 5 minutes ago. What the heck?"
"I don't know." said John. "Something about the whole thing just started eating at me. I mean, how can we stock a whole pantry, clothing, and hardware store for the next ten years, when we all live paycheck to paycheck. And, do we even want to?"
Susie raised her hand timidly. The whole group looked at her and she said. "How about a recess till tomorrow. Let us sleep on it, and all of us make a decision then.
The others agreed, and the party broke up much more soberly than it began.
As the others were leaving, Matthew asked Jane and the Colonel to hang back. He also made arrangements to bring John in with him in the morning, saving him from schlepping to the bus.
Marie impulsively hugged John, and said, "We all love you John, no matter what decision you make."
A misty John scooted out and Luc and his family followed soon after.
"So", asked Jane, "What is this all about then?"
"Let's not get obsessive Matthew." John said worriedly.
The Colonel chuckled, and recited in a sing song voice"
"For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail."
"I believe Matthew is right." said Luc in a quiet voice. Then, gaining confidence in his decision continued more forcefully, "I believe in what Dr. Cummings has said. We have looked at the other facts. We will be having a full blown depression in this country in my lifetime. I don't know when, but I know it is now inevitable and unavoidable. I have a family to protect. In for a penny, in for a pound."
Jane looked around, and said, "I believe we should put it to a vote. Who here thinks economic collapse is imminent?"
All hands rose but John's. He looked around and said, shaking his head. "I believe it will be a great recession. But the Great Depression already happened. Politicians won't let it happen again. I think this is a great exercise, but if we don't stock period materials, someone will have them, or we will invent our own. What's the big deal."
Marie looked at John and asked, "But John, don't you believe Dr. Cummings?"
"I do. I kind of.... I do up to a point." He replied. "But part of me screams out that he makes his living spouting this doom and gloom stuff. I mean follow the money. The worse the economic news, the more we cling to this stuff, but when times are good, He looses money."
"You my friend are bonkers." said Luc. "You were the biggest pusher of this stuff till 5 minutes ago. What the heck?"
"I don't know." said John. "Something about the whole thing just started eating at me. I mean, how can we stock a whole pantry, clothing, and hardware store for the next ten years, when we all live paycheck to paycheck. And, do we even want to?"
Susie raised her hand timidly. The whole group looked at her and she said. "How about a recess till tomorrow. Let us sleep on it, and all of us make a decision then.
The others agreed, and the party broke up much more soberly than it began.
As the others were leaving, Matthew asked Jane and the Colonel to hang back. He also made arrangements to bring John in with him in the morning, saving him from schlepping to the bus.
Marie impulsively hugged John, and said, "We all love you John, no matter what decision you make."
A misty John scooted out and Luc and his family followed soon after.
"So", asked Jane, "What is this all about then?"
"Well," Began Matthew, "I wanted to talk to the Colonel and you a little bit. Are you in a hurry to get home?"
"I can usually spare some time for a friend." Jane said smiling warmly.
The Colonel merely grunted, and said, "Time means NOTHING to me."
"That's the first thing I wanted to talk to you about Colonel. I understand you may be looking for a room mate. I have this place, with the spare bedroom. Are you interested?" Matthew asked directly.
"I would be, but you must understand, there is more that goes with it." The Colonel said.
"Such as?" Matthew asked.
"The VA will interview you, and inspect the place. Then, you will actually have to take a modicum of responsibility for me. Just that you will keep an eye on me. If I need to be somewhere you will try to see to it I get there, and if I go missing you will notify them. You also have to see me eat five meals a week, so if I forget to eat I do not starve. That part of it is silly. My hunger works just fine. This all means, sometimes you will have to come into my room and wake me up..." The Colonel trailed off, looking at Matthew for conformation.
"All fine with me, and I won't tell anyone about your fuzzy slippers." Said Matthew.
"Then I would be pleased to room with you Matthew, if the budget can hold it." Said the Colonel, holding out his hand to seal the deal.
Matthew clasped his hand and shook it. Then he said. "Whatever the budget has will be fine. This place is on Mr Green's tab."
Jane smiled and gave Matthew a wink. Then she asked him, " Was there something else? You said that was the first thing."
"Yes, I am worried about John." Said Matthew. "I really believe something bad is coming. I really want him to be part of our, well, group. But, it looks like he is getting cold feet."
"Ahh!" Said the Colonel. "This is what I thought you wanted to speak about. My advice is to agree with him."
"What?" Exclaimed Matthew. "You don't think it's imperative to prepare either?"
"Didn't say that Matthew." said the Colonel calmly. "I don't know when or where something is going to happen. I do believe however, that being prepared for anything is what we all should be. I will give you a Hienlien quote on it later. What I said was YOU should agree with HIM about HIS levels."
"I don't really know what you are talking about." said Matthew shaking his head.
"It's simple boy! If he says 'I don't think anything really is going to happen.' You say, 'Your probably right, BUT, being prepared is good insurance. And, storing food is a good hedge against inflation.' Or something like that. It's an Army training thing. When a private is balking at learning something they feel is not ever going to be needed. You don't always yell and scream like they are back in basic training. Sometimes you agree, and then give them a second level use for the skill. Then they learn it anyway, and stay connected with their training group. AND they don't sow dissension in the ranks and create a morale problem. It works. The key is the but. You could say, 'I hear you, this seems a little silly, BUT, Imagine how much fun we are going to have learning how to camp!' Get it? This stops him from being alienated, and keeps him with the group. Best of all- It's true. It doesn't look or feel patronizing. Even when the person knows what you are doing, because they have been trained the same, it still works." The Colonel smiled. "I have had it done to me."
"I suppose that's better than being told your wrong about something." Said Matthew. "It can't hurt to try. Maybe on our ride in tomorrow."
"Just let him bring it up first." said the Colonel. "It will be better that way. He won't feel pressured."
"Thank you Colonel." Said Matthew.
"No Problem Matthew." said the Colonel.
"If there is nothing else you want to speak of Matthew, I am going to get the Colonel to walk this tired old lady home." Said Jane.
"Of course Jane, I am sorry. I didn't mean to keep you. Would you like me to drop you off?" Matthew asked concerned.
"No!" she said quickly, looking at the Colonel. "I think I would enjoy the walk, the Colonel has volunteered to escort me, so I will be kept awake by his boring war stories. Us old folk need the exercise anyway."
"Quite right." said the Colonel.
"What was the Hienlien quote?" Asked Matthew.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." The Colonel paused. "Equipment and supplies are as needed for these as skills are. Robert forgot to mention them because to military minds, they are understood. "
Matthew agreed, smiled, said goodnight and locked the door behind them.
"I can usually spare some time for a friend." Jane said smiling warmly.
The Colonel merely grunted, and said, "Time means NOTHING to me."
"That's the first thing I wanted to talk to you about Colonel. I understand you may be looking for a room mate. I have this place, with the spare bedroom. Are you interested?" Matthew asked directly.
"I would be, but you must understand, there is more that goes with it." The Colonel said.
"Such as?" Matthew asked.
"The VA will interview you, and inspect the place. Then, you will actually have to take a modicum of responsibility for me. Just that you will keep an eye on me. If I need to be somewhere you will try to see to it I get there, and if I go missing you will notify them. You also have to see me eat five meals a week, so if I forget to eat I do not starve. That part of it is silly. My hunger works just fine. This all means, sometimes you will have to come into my room and wake me up..." The Colonel trailed off, looking at Matthew for conformation.
"All fine with me, and I won't tell anyone about your fuzzy slippers." Said Matthew.
"Then I would be pleased to room with you Matthew, if the budget can hold it." Said the Colonel, holding out his hand to seal the deal.
Matthew clasped his hand and shook it. Then he said. "Whatever the budget has will be fine. This place is on Mr Green's tab."
Jane smiled and gave Matthew a wink. Then she asked him, " Was there something else? You said that was the first thing."
"Yes, I am worried about John." Said Matthew. "I really believe something bad is coming. I really want him to be part of our, well, group. But, it looks like he is getting cold feet."
"Ahh!" Said the Colonel. "This is what I thought you wanted to speak about. My advice is to agree with him."
"What?" Exclaimed Matthew. "You don't think it's imperative to prepare either?"
"Didn't say that Matthew." said the Colonel calmly. "I don't know when or where something is going to happen. I do believe however, that being prepared for anything is what we all should be. I will give you a Hienlien quote on it later. What I said was YOU should agree with HIM about HIS levels."
"I don't really know what you are talking about." said Matthew shaking his head.
"It's simple boy! If he says 'I don't think anything really is going to happen.' You say, 'Your probably right, BUT, being prepared is good insurance. And, storing food is a good hedge against inflation.' Or something like that. It's an Army training thing. When a private is balking at learning something they feel is not ever going to be needed. You don't always yell and scream like they are back in basic training. Sometimes you agree, and then give them a second level use for the skill. Then they learn it anyway, and stay connected with their training group. AND they don't sow dissension in the ranks and create a morale problem. It works. The key is the but. You could say, 'I hear you, this seems a little silly, BUT, Imagine how much fun we are going to have learning how to camp!' Get it? This stops him from being alienated, and keeps him with the group. Best of all- It's true. It doesn't look or feel patronizing. Even when the person knows what you are doing, because they have been trained the same, it still works." The Colonel smiled. "I have had it done to me."
"I suppose that's better than being told your wrong about something." Said Matthew. "It can't hurt to try. Maybe on our ride in tomorrow."
"Just let him bring it up first." said the Colonel. "It will be better that way. He won't feel pressured."
"Thank you Colonel." Said Matthew.
"No Problem Matthew." said the Colonel.
"If there is nothing else you want to speak of Matthew, I am going to get the Colonel to walk this tired old lady home." Said Jane.
"Of course Jane, I am sorry. I didn't mean to keep you. Would you like me to drop you off?" Matthew asked concerned.
"No!" she said quickly, looking at the Colonel. "I think I would enjoy the walk, the Colonel has volunteered to escort me, so I will be kept awake by his boring war stories. Us old folk need the exercise anyway."
"Quite right." said the Colonel.
"What was the Hienlien quote?" Asked Matthew.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." The Colonel paused. "Equipment and supplies are as needed for these as skills are. Robert forgot to mention them because to military minds, they are understood. "
Matthew agreed, smiled, said goodnight and locked the door behind them.
In the morning, John seemed a little reserved. Matthew attributed it to
his dreading any questions about his statements the previous evening.
But since Matthew didn't bring it up, the two were cutting it up like
usual before they reached the studio.
When they got inside, Matthew told John he would see him later, and went to find Mark. John looked at him quizzically, and said, "See you later."
Mark grunted and handed a box to Matthew. "Get Luc to give you the lens I texted him about and bring it to the Jersey main studio. Any questions?"
"Just one," said Matthew with a smile, "Where is the Jersey main studio?"
Mark laughed and went to print out directions. While he was logged in, he went to print out the email requesting the lens for Matthew to bring with him. While in his email, he gave another grunt, and looked displeased as he read.
"Mark, you keep grunting like that, people will think your trying out to be a caveman." Matthew said.
"Wait a sec." Mark said holding up a finger and reading. He scowled and hit the keys to print the email he had been reading, as well as the email requesting the lens. "I will find Luc with you, I have something he might want to see." Mark grabbed the sheaf of paper he had just printed, and headed out the door without looking to see if Matthew was following or not.
They found Luc in the camera vault, cleaning the lens they were lending to the other studio.
When they got inside, Matthew told John he would see him later, and went to find Mark. John looked at him quizzically, and said, "See you later."
Mark grunted and handed a box to Matthew. "Get Luc to give you the lens I texted him about and bring it to the Jersey main studio. Any questions?"
"Just one," said Matthew with a smile, "Where is the Jersey main studio?"
Mark laughed and went to print out directions. While he was logged in, he went to print out the email requesting the lens for Matthew to bring with him. While in his email, he gave another grunt, and looked displeased as he read.
"Mark, you keep grunting like that, people will think your trying out to be a caveman." Matthew said.
"Wait a sec." Mark said holding up a finger and reading. He scowled and hit the keys to print the email he had been reading, as well as the email requesting the lens. "I will find Luc with you, I have something he might want to see." Mark grabbed the sheaf of paper he had just printed, and headed out the door without looking to see if Matthew was following or not.
They found Luc in the camera vault, cleaning the lens they were lending to the other studio.
"Hey guys. What's good?" He asked the two of them, barely taking his eyes of the lens he was working on.
"Two things. First, I need that lens out within minutes. Second, I looked into some of the stuff you were talking about and found THIS!"
"Found what?" Asked John, walking into the small room, and lounging on the old couch in the corner of the room.
Luc whistled long and low, then handed the first page of the printout to John. His eyes got big and his face fell as he read.
The Beginning of the End of Europe
"Two things. First, I need that lens out within minutes. Second, I looked into some of the stuff you were talking about and found THIS!"
"Found what?" Asked John, walking into the small room, and lounging on the old couch in the corner of the room.
Luc whistled long and low, then handed the first page of the printout to John. His eyes got big and his face fell as he read.
The Beginning of the End of Europe
Yesterday, the European contagion spread to Italy
and Spain. The sovereign debt of those two countries swooned—for no
discernible reason.
No discernible reason whatsoever: The Italian and Spanish bond markets just sort of . . . plopped, like when a learning-to-walk toddler suddenly plops on his behind? Exactly like that: For no reason whatsoever.
No discernible reason whatsoever: The Italian and Spanish bond markets just sort of . . . plopped, like when a learning-to-walk toddler suddenly plops on his behind? Exactly like that: For no reason whatsoever.
broke the back of the eurobond markets. The
only conclusion that I can draw from this Monday swoon is that we’ve
hit the tipping point: This is the start of the eurozone endgame. It is
now only a matter of time before the eurozone breaks apart. Therefore,
get back in your seats, buckle up, and brace yourselves good—‘cause
it’s gonna be a bumpy ride.
Let me explain my thinking:
For those of you who somehow have missed out on this movie: Europe has been in trouble because the nations of the periphery—Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain, the so-called PIIGS—have massive sovereign debts which they simply cannot pay.
Regardless of how the debt of the PIIGS got to be the size that it is, none of them can survive without cash: Cash to maintain their government services, and cash to pay off their debts.
In the case of all the PIIGS, they need more debt in order to raise the cash they need to pay off the old debt. They are simply not generating enough revenue to survive.
What do you call it, when a borrower has to take out more loans to pay off the maturing debts? A Ponzi scheme. ‘Nuff said.
Greece was on deck for more loans to pay off the old loans. The International Monetary Fund (IMF), the European Council (EC) and the European Central Bank (ECB) had put together a bailout package, coupled with Greek promises of austerity and higher taxes, as well as a complicated contraption to roll over some of the maturing Greek debt.
In the Grand Scheme which is the European Union, Greece is a bit player: It’s GDP is roughly a couple of percentage points of the whole eurozone—nothing to get into a twist over.
But the IMF, the EC and the ECB were getting into a twist over Greece—like an octopuss playing Twister, as a matter of fact—because of what Greece represented:
A firewall.
Greece needs a couple of hundred billion euros—but Italy has the third largest sovereign debt in the world, topped only by Japan’s and the United States’. Over $2 trillion of its debt comes due over the next five years. And Spain is not that far behind, if you add the regional debts of the autonomous regions, and the fact that the enormous Spanish banking sector is teetering, and will very likely need to be bailed by the Spanish government.
In short, Italy and Spain are simply Too Big To Bail-out.
Hence the troika—the IMF, the EC and the ECB—was trying its mightiest to bail out Greece and use it as a firewall to stop the sovereign debt crisis from spreading across the eurozone.
Too late: As of yesterday, Monday July 11, the tipping point was reached, insofar as market fears of Italy and Spain.
Monday was when Spanish 10-year bonds suddenly crossed the 6% yield mark, reaching highs not seen since 1997; the spread between Spanish and German debt is the widest in eurozone history. Meanwhile, Italy’s 10-year also hit records—5.67% yields—also records since donkey’s ears.
What happened Monday wasn’t a panic, precisely: It was more of a pre-panic. Think of it like a sharp tremor before The Big One: A taste of what a true sovereign debt panic would be like.
Now, why is this happening? That is, why is this happening now—what triggered it?
Nobody knows— and that’s precisely the problem. It could have been the ECB’s decision last week to raise interest rates 25 basis points to 1.5%—even as there is no inflationary smoke anywhere on the eurozone horizon. It could have been the IMF’s Christine Lagarde trying to sound tough over the weekend, saying essentially that all options were on the table with regards to Greece, including default. It could have been that some random bond salesman woke up gloomy because his football team lost on Sunday night, and spread his foul mood to his whole trading desk, and from thence to the entire eurobond market.
There are tons of explanations. But really, nobody knows why the eurobond markets swooned yesterday.
Ultimately, what triggered this swoon is a pointless question—like asking which of the last five straws broke the camel’s back. As it is, if it hadn’t been overloaded, this particular camel—or rather, this particular PIIG—would have been able to easily stand up to any one of those straws.
But on Monday, a tipping point was reached—the camel’s back was broken—the glass began to overflow: Pick your metaphor—the result is all the same:
The bond markets all now believe that Italy and Spain are in serious trouble —which is of course a self-fulfilling prophecy.
A lot of economists—Paul Krugman and his fluffer Brad DeLong are a case in point—swerve between dismissal of the so-called “Bond Vigilantes”, and berating them. But these none-too-clever fellows miss the point: The bond markets matter for the single, inescapable fact that they provide the money for the party.
The sovereign governments go out and offer their bonds to the market. And the markets go and buy their issuance— so long as the bond markets trust them.
But if the bond markets lose that trust—if they no longer believe that the money they lend is gonna get repaid—then they don’t buy the sovereign bonds. If they don’t buy ‘em, then the governments won’t have the cash to pay for the services they provide as well as pay for the maturing debt.
If the governments don’t have the cash to pay for their obligations, then they default—then they’re broke.
It really is that simple.
Monday was the unequivocal signal that the eurobond markets no longer trust Italy and Spain.
This Thursday, Italy is going to auction off 15-year and 25-year bonds. The chief economist of Citigroup and former Bank of England policy maven Willem Buiter thinks the ECB will simply have to step in and buy some of those bonds in order to prevent a failed auction—which could easily devolve into a full-scale panic at this point in time.
In other words, Buiter think that the ECB will have to begin to monetize the PIIGS’s sovereign debt, in order to avert a full-scale panic in the eurozone. This is major: Builter is plugged in, and he doesn’t hit the alarm button lightly.
This afternoon, however, Italy successfully auctioned off short-term paper, albeit it at yields of 3.67%, as opposed to the pre-swoon forecast of 3.1%.
So maybe Buiter is wrong: Maybe nothing happens on Thursday.
But actually, it doesn’t really matter—not after Monday’s swoon. It doesn’t matter if Thursday’s Italian bond auction goes smooth as glass or not: Monday was the signal that the markets have realized—in their bones—that the PIIGS are all broke, and that they will default, eventually.
The lack of a trigger for Monday’s swoon (or a “trigger” so trivial that it really is as slim as a single stick of straw) proves that the sovereign bond markets have no faith not just in Greece and Portugal and Ireland, but in Spain and Italy—the whales among the PIIGS.
For my Members at the Strategic Planning Group, I’ve already mapped out a detailed plan of what to do, once there is a sovereign default and the eurozone begins to break apart.
But the moment of when the eurozone would start to break apart? That was—I thought—in the indeterminate future: “Close, but not yet,” was my thinking.
Not anymore. Not after yesterday.
When a bond market swoons for no real reason at all, it’s a sign that the market participants realize they’re playing a game of musical chairs.
Therefore, the beginning of the end of the eurozone has arrived. It will happen imminently. And it could be triggered by anything—or like on Monday, by nothing at all.
Prepare accordingly.
"What is this?" John asked.
"It was forwarded to me by my broker." Said Mark. "He is a friend."
"So why give it to Luc?" asked John.
"Luc and I have been talking about this kind of stuff, thought he should know." Said Mark
"Why would you think he should know?" asked John.
"What? Are you his mother now?" Mark said chuckling. "It's something we are both thinking about... I hope if he had gotten it, he would have given it to me."
Luc and Matthew exchanged a glance as John continued.
"Are you one of these people who think the sky is falling?" asked John, almost snidely.
"Not that it's any of your business, but I think a major correction is going on, yes." Mark said. "Did you vet that guy you interviewed? Cummings? He has been consistently right, and you heard him. Right? Is your head in the sand?"
"He makes money preaching that stuff, his opinion is suspect!" John almost yelled.
"My lawn guy gets payed to mow. Should I not listen when he says it's time to fertilize?" Mark said laughing. "Cummings also said to buy gold when it was at $400. Now it's at $1600! If you invested $1000.00 five years ago, it's now worth $5,000.00!"
"I wonder how much he really makes?" said Luc. "For all we know he gives it all away."
"Wow!" Exclaimed Matthew. "You may be right about him making money John, BUT with returns like that, so will we by listening! $5,000.00 DAMMMN!"
John was opening his mouth to say something, he paused as he closed his mouth slowly.
Mark unintentionally helped by adding, "He IS an economist, there are a lot of them, BUT he gets paid a lot for HIS opinion... so he is obviously right enough."
John was silent, then he asked with just a trace of his previous rancor, "So I guess you guys are gonna start storing rice and beans?"
Mark again said the right thing, in fact he echoed the Colonels example from the night before. "It may seem nuts, BUT, it is a good hedge against inflation."
John just shook his head and said meekly, "I have to go back to the story I am working on." And left the room.
Let me explain my thinking:
For those of you who somehow have missed out on this movie: Europe has been in trouble because the nations of the periphery—Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain, the so-called PIIGS—have massive sovereign debts which they simply cannot pay.
Regardless of how the debt of the PIIGS got to be the size that it is, none of them can survive without cash: Cash to maintain their government services, and cash to pay off their debts.
In the case of all the PIIGS, they need more debt in order to raise the cash they need to pay off the old debt. They are simply not generating enough revenue to survive.
What do you call it, when a borrower has to take out more loans to pay off the maturing debts? A Ponzi scheme. ‘Nuff said.
Greece was on deck for more loans to pay off the old loans. The International Monetary Fund (IMF), the European Council (EC) and the European Central Bank (ECB) had put together a bailout package, coupled with Greek promises of austerity and higher taxes, as well as a complicated contraption to roll over some of the maturing Greek debt.
In the Grand Scheme which is the European Union, Greece is a bit player: It’s GDP is roughly a couple of percentage points of the whole eurozone—nothing to get into a twist over.
But the IMF, the EC and the ECB were getting into a twist over Greece—like an octopuss playing Twister, as a matter of fact—because of what Greece represented:
A firewall.
Greece needs a couple of hundred billion euros—but Italy has the third largest sovereign debt in the world, topped only by Japan’s and the United States’. Over $2 trillion of its debt comes due over the next five years. And Spain is not that far behind, if you add the regional debts of the autonomous regions, and the fact that the enormous Spanish banking sector is teetering, and will very likely need to be bailed by the Spanish government.
In short, Italy and Spain are simply Too Big To Bail-out.
Hence the troika—the IMF, the EC and the ECB—was trying its mightiest to bail out Greece and use it as a firewall to stop the sovereign debt crisis from spreading across the eurozone.
Too late: As of yesterday, Monday July 11, the tipping point was reached, insofar as market fears of Italy and Spain.
Monday was when Spanish 10-year bonds suddenly crossed the 6% yield mark, reaching highs not seen since 1997; the spread between Spanish and German debt is the widest in eurozone history. Meanwhile, Italy’s 10-year also hit records—5.67% yields—also records since donkey’s ears.
What happened Monday wasn’t a panic, precisely: It was more of a pre-panic. Think of it like a sharp tremor before The Big One: A taste of what a true sovereign debt panic would be like.
Now, why is this happening? That is, why is this happening now—what triggered it?
Nobody knows— and that’s precisely the problem. It could have been the ECB’s decision last week to raise interest rates 25 basis points to 1.5%—even as there is no inflationary smoke anywhere on the eurozone horizon. It could have been the IMF’s Christine Lagarde trying to sound tough over the weekend, saying essentially that all options were on the table with regards to Greece, including default. It could have been that some random bond salesman woke up gloomy because his football team lost on Sunday night, and spread his foul mood to his whole trading desk, and from thence to the entire eurobond market.
There are tons of explanations. But really, nobody knows why the eurobond markets swooned yesterday.
Ultimately, what triggered this swoon is a pointless question—like asking which of the last five straws broke the camel’s back. As it is, if it hadn’t been overloaded, this particular camel—or rather, this particular PIIG—would have been able to easily stand up to any one of those straws.
But on Monday, a tipping point was reached—the camel’s back was broken—the glass began to overflow: Pick your metaphor—the result is all the same:
The bond markets all now believe that Italy and Spain are in serious trouble —which is of course a self-fulfilling prophecy.
A lot of economists—Paul Krugman and his fluffer Brad DeLong are a case in point—swerve between dismissal of the so-called “Bond Vigilantes”, and berating them. But these none-too-clever fellows miss the point: The bond markets matter for the single, inescapable fact that they provide the money for the party.
The sovereign governments go out and offer their bonds to the market. And the markets go and buy their issuance— so long as the bond markets trust them.
But if the bond markets lose that trust—if they no longer believe that the money they lend is gonna get repaid—then they don’t buy the sovereign bonds. If they don’t buy ‘em, then the governments won’t have the cash to pay for the services they provide as well as pay for the maturing debt.
If the governments don’t have the cash to pay for their obligations, then they default—then they’re broke.
It really is that simple.
Monday was the unequivocal signal that the eurobond markets no longer trust Italy and Spain.
This Thursday, Italy is going to auction off 15-year and 25-year bonds. The chief economist of Citigroup and former Bank of England policy maven Willem Buiter thinks the ECB will simply have to step in and buy some of those bonds in order to prevent a failed auction—which could easily devolve into a full-scale panic at this point in time.
In other words, Buiter think that the ECB will have to begin to monetize the PIIGS’s sovereign debt, in order to avert a full-scale panic in the eurozone. This is major: Builter is plugged in, and he doesn’t hit the alarm button lightly.
This afternoon, however, Italy successfully auctioned off short-term paper, albeit it at yields of 3.67%, as opposed to the pre-swoon forecast of 3.1%.
So maybe Buiter is wrong: Maybe nothing happens on Thursday.
But actually, it doesn’t really matter—not after Monday’s swoon. It doesn’t matter if Thursday’s Italian bond auction goes smooth as glass or not: Monday was the signal that the markets have realized—in their bones—that the PIIGS are all broke, and that they will default, eventually.
The lack of a trigger for Monday’s swoon (or a “trigger” so trivial that it really is as slim as a single stick of straw) proves that the sovereign bond markets have no faith not just in Greece and Portugal and Ireland, but in Spain and Italy—the whales among the PIIGS.
For my Members at the Strategic Planning Group, I’ve already mapped out a detailed plan of what to do, once there is a sovereign default and the eurozone begins to break apart.
But the moment of when the eurozone would start to break apart? That was—I thought—in the indeterminate future: “Close, but not yet,” was my thinking.
Not anymore. Not after yesterday.
When a bond market swoons for no real reason at all, it’s a sign that the market participants realize they’re playing a game of musical chairs.
Therefore, the beginning of the end of the eurozone has arrived. It will happen imminently. And it could be triggered by anything—or like on Monday, by nothing at all.
Prepare accordingly.
FYI: Last May 30, I advised my SPG Members to get out of the euro and into the Swiss franc. At the time, it was trading at CHFr. 1.217 per €1. Today it is at CHFr. 1.167—a fall of over 4%. More seems in the offing.
Do check out the the preview page of the Strategic Planning Group. Thank you.
"What is this?" John asked.
"It was forwarded to me by my broker." Said Mark. "He is a friend."
"So why give it to Luc?" asked John.
"Luc and I have been talking about this kind of stuff, thought he should know." Said Mark
"Why would you think he should know?" asked John.
"What? Are you his mother now?" Mark said chuckling. "It's something we are both thinking about... I hope if he had gotten it, he would have given it to me."
Luc and Matthew exchanged a glance as John continued.
"Are you one of these people who think the sky is falling?" asked John, almost snidely.
"Not that it's any of your business, but I think a major correction is going on, yes." Mark said. "Did you vet that guy you interviewed? Cummings? He has been consistently right, and you heard him. Right? Is your head in the sand?"
"He makes money preaching that stuff, his opinion is suspect!" John almost yelled.
"My lawn guy gets payed to mow. Should I not listen when he says it's time to fertilize?" Mark said laughing. "Cummings also said to buy gold when it was at $400. Now it's at $1600! If you invested $1000.00 five years ago, it's now worth $5,000.00!"
"I wonder how much he really makes?" said Luc. "For all we know he gives it all away."
"Wow!" Exclaimed Matthew. "You may be right about him making money John, BUT with returns like that, so will we by listening! $5,000.00 DAMMMN!"
John was opening his mouth to say something, he paused as he closed his mouth slowly.
Mark unintentionally helped by adding, "He IS an economist, there are a lot of them, BUT he gets paid a lot for HIS opinion... so he is obviously right enough."
John was silent, then he asked with just a trace of his previous rancor, "So I guess you guys are gonna start storing rice and beans?"
Mark again said the right thing, in fact he echoed the Colonels example from the night before. "It may seem nuts, BUT, it is a good hedge against inflation."
John just shook his head and said meekly, "I have to go back to the story I am working on." And left the room.
"Looong Story!" said Matthew. Then he had an inspiration. He looked at Mark and said. " I will tell you all about it if you ride with me to Jersey."
Luc looked at Matthew and nodded. Then he looked at Mark and said. "You should definitely get out if you can boss man."
Mark looked skeptical, then he said. "I don't know what you two clowns are cooking, but what the heck. At least I know you wont get lost. Luc, is that darn lens clean yet? Your lack of maintenance has not gone unnoticed."
"Riiiight. I have the cleanest lenses in the city, and you know it. I just am inspecting this so that the ruffians in Jersey don't have any excuses if they scuff my glass. It's ready, you two kids have fun, just be in before 9:00." Luc said.
Matthew wondered to himself what he had just invited on himself, but the two men headed toward the door.
"In for a penny, in for a pound!" said Luc as they passed by him.
"What?" said Mark as they passed by.
"Tell you later, we gotta get going, remember?" said Matthew.
"Why do I feel like I am chasing a rabbit with a watch?" said Mark climbing in Matthews van.
Matthew just snorted.
By the time the two had reached the George Washington Bridge, and
crossed into New Jersey, the conversation was roiling. Mark was letting
go a lot of emotion, usually unseen, about the state of the country in
general, and the economy in particular.
"You know Matthew," He began. "I watched the space shuttle land for the last time, simply because I was awake. I didn't expect to feel any emotion. It wasn't a big deal to me. Until I saw it live. I couldn't help but think of those nobles in Britannia and Gaul watching the last of the legions headed back to Rome cross the horizon. It is the end of an era, nobody doubts. What era is the only question. We ended our frontier due to politics and funding. That is the same as Rome."
"I hear what you are saying." Matthew agreed. "It's just nuts."
"Not only do we give up dominance, our hook at being the first to mine asteroids, all the research that was done for the space program, in dehydration, reclamation, Velcro for goodness sake, and a million other little things, but we do so in order to keep spending money on stuff that won't create jobs or further our nations economy." Mark paused. "The amount of jobs created by the space program, and all the spinoff companies- literally millions of them in the US and abroad- by FAR trump all jobs created by all the TARP or stimulus money ever spent. Just over $17 billion last year spent by NASA. For THOUSANDS of jobs- 530,000 of them. Plus the relative increase jobs and spinoff jobs such as journalists, tourism, sub agency scientific research, and research leading to commercial private sector jobs. Compare that to the 11TRILLION spent on tarp and stimulus* to provide a REPORTED 561,000 jobs*. It seems to be a no brainer. But plenty of people are saying that number of recovery jobs is well padded, and if true, that makes it even worse. In fact since the space program BEGAN in 1958, it has spent less than $500 Billion, for all those jobs, for all that time."
*http://money.cnn.com/news/storysuppl...ailouttracker/
*http://www.recovery.gov/Pages/default.aspx
"That's crazy!" said Matthew.
"That it is my boy." Said Mark, pointing to the exit Matthew was to take. "I am afraid our economic system is too warped to fit back into the box."
"So, what are you going to do about it," Said Matthew quietly. "That's what I want to know."
"What do you mean?" Asked Mark sharply.
"I mean, are you getting ready for an economic collapse? If you are... how? If your not... Why not? Just curious." Matthew said Mildly.
"Well, I guess I kind of am..."Mark said. "Pull in over there. But not in any sort of cohesive way. Why? Are you?"
Matthew smiled and said. "Some friends and I are talking about it. But that is all so far. I think we are just getting ready for some concrete action. We are meeting tonight if your interested in shooting the breeze. You know some of them..."
A sharp rap on the van drivers window interrupted them. Matthew turned quickly to see a tallish gray haired man smiling at him, as he pulled his long hair into a pony tail.
Matthew rolled down the window and said "Hi, something I can do for you?"
"Nice van." said the man. "Used to own it. My name is Desmond. Did you ever see my show?"
"You know Matthew," He began. "I watched the space shuttle land for the last time, simply because I was awake. I didn't expect to feel any emotion. It wasn't a big deal to me. Until I saw it live. I couldn't help but think of those nobles in Britannia and Gaul watching the last of the legions headed back to Rome cross the horizon. It is the end of an era, nobody doubts. What era is the only question. We ended our frontier due to politics and funding. That is the same as Rome."
"I hear what you are saying." Matthew agreed. "It's just nuts."
"Not only do we give up dominance, our hook at being the first to mine asteroids, all the research that was done for the space program, in dehydration, reclamation, Velcro for goodness sake, and a million other little things, but we do so in order to keep spending money on stuff that won't create jobs or further our nations economy." Mark paused. "The amount of jobs created by the space program, and all the spinoff companies- literally millions of them in the US and abroad- by FAR trump all jobs created by all the TARP or stimulus money ever spent. Just over $17 billion last year spent by NASA. For THOUSANDS of jobs- 530,000 of them. Plus the relative increase jobs and spinoff jobs such as journalists, tourism, sub agency scientific research, and research leading to commercial private sector jobs. Compare that to the 11TRILLION spent on tarp and stimulus* to provide a REPORTED 561,000 jobs*. It seems to be a no brainer. But plenty of people are saying that number of recovery jobs is well padded, and if true, that makes it even worse. In fact since the space program BEGAN in 1958, it has spent less than $500 Billion, for all those jobs, for all that time."
*http://money.cnn.com/news/storysuppl...ailouttracker/
*http://www.recovery.gov/Pages/default.aspx
"That's crazy!" said Matthew.
"That it is my boy." Said Mark, pointing to the exit Matthew was to take. "I am afraid our economic system is too warped to fit back into the box."
"So, what are you going to do about it," Said Matthew quietly. "That's what I want to know."
"What do you mean?" Asked Mark sharply.
"I mean, are you getting ready for an economic collapse? If you are... how? If your not... Why not? Just curious." Matthew said Mildly.
"Well, I guess I kind of am..."Mark said. "Pull in over there. But not in any sort of cohesive way. Why? Are you?"
Matthew smiled and said. "Some friends and I are talking about it. But that is all so far. I think we are just getting ready for some concrete action. We are meeting tonight if your interested in shooting the breeze. You know some of them..."
A sharp rap on the van drivers window interrupted them. Matthew turned quickly to see a tallish gray haired man smiling at him, as he pulled his long hair into a pony tail.
Matthew rolled down the window and said "Hi, something I can do for you?"
"Nice van." said the man. "Used to own it. My name is Desmond. Did you ever see my show?"
For a moment, Matthew was unsure how he should react. Then he decided,
he had nothing to do with the actions taken by this man, or against him.
So he reached out and introduced himself while shaking his hand.
"Hello Desmond, I am Matthew, and this is my boss Mark. I bought the van from the company recently." He said with a smile.
"Well you certainly know a good piece of equipment. I sunk a lot of money into this beauty. I don't know what you paid for it, but I would be interested in buying it back. What will you take for her?" Desmond asked with a broad smile.
Matthew looked at Mark. Mark shook his head slightly.
"Sorry Desmond, but my job is contingent on having this van. And I won't have it paid off for two years. The way the loan is structured, the van is collateral for all that time. As a matter of fact, it is still registered to the company." Matthew said, leaving out that the registration would be changed that weekend.
"That is too bad. I guess I will have to try you in two years. This is a pretty special van to me. Maybe you could see what the company says about an early pay off. I am sure you will make enough of a profit to buy a van that is equally old. I mean vintage. This one is going to be expensive for you to repair and maintain, I kind of made a hobby of replacing bits with military surplus at my home machine shop. Most mechanics are going to be scratching their heads." Desmond said. "If you change your mind, give me a call." He handed Matthew a card. "Or if you have any questions on how anything works on it. And trust me.... You will!"
With that Desmond tipped an imaginary hat and climbed into a Cadillac Escalade parked nearby. Then he was gone.
Mark and Matthew just looked at each other. With the interruption of Desmond, the conversation was over. Matthew grabbed the lens box, and they went inside.
The station manager greeted Mark warmly, and somewhat sheepishly.
"I am sorry that you have made your trip for nothing." She said. "It must have been an old request note. Desi had made the request, and When I logged it this morning after emailing you, I found his show was over.... and he is Persona non Grata. It must have just slipped notice till today somehow. Do you know why the falling out?"
"No, I heard the same thing." Mark said, giving Matthew a look. "Strange. Well, this way Matthew got to learn where you are."
After exchanging pleasantries. Matthew shook her hand, and the two left.
In the van Matthew said, "Wow, he set that up to get this van. What the heck is so special about this bucket of bolts?"
"I am wondering the same thing. I think we need to take it to a mechanic." Mark smiled at Matthew and said. "Home James!"
"Wrong apostle!" said Matthew. And they were off.
The trip back to New York was mainly taken up with speculations about Desmond's interest, the economy, and the way things were headed.
Back at the studio, Matthew gave his address to Mark, and the two went inside.
"Hello Desmond, I am Matthew, and this is my boss Mark. I bought the van from the company recently." He said with a smile.
"Well you certainly know a good piece of equipment. I sunk a lot of money into this beauty. I don't know what you paid for it, but I would be interested in buying it back. What will you take for her?" Desmond asked with a broad smile.
Matthew looked at Mark. Mark shook his head slightly.
"Sorry Desmond, but my job is contingent on having this van. And I won't have it paid off for two years. The way the loan is structured, the van is collateral for all that time. As a matter of fact, it is still registered to the company." Matthew said, leaving out that the registration would be changed that weekend.
"That is too bad. I guess I will have to try you in two years. This is a pretty special van to me. Maybe you could see what the company says about an early pay off. I am sure you will make enough of a profit to buy a van that is equally old. I mean vintage. This one is going to be expensive for you to repair and maintain, I kind of made a hobby of replacing bits with military surplus at my home machine shop. Most mechanics are going to be scratching their heads." Desmond said. "If you change your mind, give me a call." He handed Matthew a card. "Or if you have any questions on how anything works on it. And trust me.... You will!"
With that Desmond tipped an imaginary hat and climbed into a Cadillac Escalade parked nearby. Then he was gone.
Mark and Matthew just looked at each other. With the interruption of Desmond, the conversation was over. Matthew grabbed the lens box, and they went inside.
The station manager greeted Mark warmly, and somewhat sheepishly.
"I am sorry that you have made your trip for nothing." She said. "It must have been an old request note. Desi had made the request, and When I logged it this morning after emailing you, I found his show was over.... and he is Persona non Grata. It must have just slipped notice till today somehow. Do you know why the falling out?"
"No, I heard the same thing." Mark said, giving Matthew a look. "Strange. Well, this way Matthew got to learn where you are."
After exchanging pleasantries. Matthew shook her hand, and the two left.
In the van Matthew said, "Wow, he set that up to get this van. What the heck is so special about this bucket of bolts?"
"I am wondering the same thing. I think we need to take it to a mechanic." Mark smiled at Matthew and said. "Home James!"
"Wrong apostle!" said Matthew. And they were off.
The trip back to New York was mainly taken up with speculations about Desmond's interest, the economy, and the way things were headed.
Back at the studio, Matthew gave his address to Mark, and the two went inside.
Matthew was getting his tasks done early so he could spend time learning
audio, so that he didn't fall behind on the milestones that Mark had
given him. So, when he walked into the "Bat Cave" as the production
crew called the space they shared, a large room that opened into the
hall, camera vault, greenroom, and two studios; John was still there on
his computer.
John would read, frown, type. Then furiously scowl at what he had written. He caught Matthew's eye and waved him over.
"Half the bloody world thinks we are headed for financial Armageddon. The rest believe it is business as usual." He handed a sheaf of print outs to Matthew. "Greek default is pretty much a given. US default based on the debt ceiling is being dreaded by some and prayed for by others. Everyone is divided. I don't know if we are headed for a default or for a civil war."
"Really?" Said Matthew. "We knew that though. I thought you were working on a story."
"I was. I was going to do a story on the whack jobs and survivalists that are dooming and glooming." John said dejectedly.
"Was? Change your mind?" Matthew asked.
"Sort of. I am going to do a story instead on the value of preparedness." John said unhappily.
"You don't seem to excited about it!" Matthew said.
"I am not! For several reasons." said John.
"Such as?" Matthew asked.
"You should ask Glenn Beck!" came John's sardonic reply. "First. It is too big a story. Secondly, no one will buy it. Only seed companies will sponsor it. Thirdly, if I look to conservative, I will never get into most newsrooms."
"Well, why not do a series!" Luc yelled from the camera vault, where he could plainly hear everything they were talking about. "You can always say you were assigned it as a training exercise in series."
"What are you going on about, you Gallic Lug Nut?" John asked with a trace of his normal humor.
"Well, you first have to talk Matthew and I into helping you. Which will be hard. Then we will do a series of reports on the new attitude and the people who are preparing." He smiled. "And if it ever comes up in the future you can say you were assigned the subject as a training exercise, and disavow any nuttiness of your own. That way we can help the people that are smart enough to be getting ready, while we learn ourselves."
"To get a series, we will need a sponsor. Someone whose business ties into 'preparedness'. " John said. "But I love the idea."
"I might know a sponsor." Said Matthew slowly.
"You do? " Asked John.
"Maybe Ben from the Hardware store on the block." Matthew said.
"Won't hurt to ask." said Luc. He turned to John. "Does this mean you are in for a pound?"
"It means I want to learn more." He replied. "Let's go see what Mark says. He will probably kill it instantly."
"I think you are wrong there." said Matthew. "But you can find out on your own. I have to watch this DVD on setting room levels our Mark will kill ME instantly."
His friends chuckled as they left the room.
John would read, frown, type. Then furiously scowl at what he had written. He caught Matthew's eye and waved him over.
"Half the bloody world thinks we are headed for financial Armageddon. The rest believe it is business as usual." He handed a sheaf of print outs to Matthew. "Greek default is pretty much a given. US default based on the debt ceiling is being dreaded by some and prayed for by others. Everyone is divided. I don't know if we are headed for a default or for a civil war."
"Really?" Said Matthew. "We knew that though. I thought you were working on a story."
"I was. I was going to do a story on the whack jobs and survivalists that are dooming and glooming." John said dejectedly.
"Was? Change your mind?" Matthew asked.
"Sort of. I am going to do a story instead on the value of preparedness." John said unhappily.
"You don't seem to excited about it!" Matthew said.
"I am not! For several reasons." said John.
"Such as?" Matthew asked.
"You should ask Glenn Beck!" came John's sardonic reply. "First. It is too big a story. Secondly, no one will buy it. Only seed companies will sponsor it. Thirdly, if I look to conservative, I will never get into most newsrooms."
"Well, why not do a series!" Luc yelled from the camera vault, where he could plainly hear everything they were talking about. "You can always say you were assigned it as a training exercise in series."
"What are you going on about, you Gallic Lug Nut?" John asked with a trace of his normal humor.
"Well, you first have to talk Matthew and I into helping you. Which will be hard. Then we will do a series of reports on the new attitude and the people who are preparing." He smiled. "And if it ever comes up in the future you can say you were assigned the subject as a training exercise, and disavow any nuttiness of your own. That way we can help the people that are smart enough to be getting ready, while we learn ourselves."
"To get a series, we will need a sponsor. Someone whose business ties into 'preparedness'. " John said. "But I love the idea."
"I might know a sponsor." Said Matthew slowly.
"You do? " Asked John.
"Maybe Ben from the Hardware store on the block." Matthew said.
"Won't hurt to ask." said Luc. He turned to John. "Does this mean you are in for a pound?"
"It means I want to learn more." He replied. "Let's go see what Mark says. He will probably kill it instantly."
"I think you are wrong there." said Matthew. "But you can find out on your own. I have to watch this DVD on setting room levels our Mark will kill ME instantly."
His friends chuckled as they left the room.
Left alone with his instructional DVD, Matthew was soon involved in
placements of microphones, placements, and feedback. He didn't even
notice his friends return until Luc clapped him on the shoulders with
both hands, startling him. He slipped his headphones off, turned and
shook his fist at his friends grinning faces.
"What did Mark say?" He asked.
"You have been working on him obviously!" Said John in an accusing tone, but there was no anger in his eyes or voice.
"It was kind of a mutual thing." Matthew replied.
"Well, he is looking for you." said John.
"Probably because he is coming tonight." Matthew replied.
"You don't waste any time." John said resignedly.
"We don't have any to waste." Said Luc. "And we want ALL our friends to be okay."
"Hint hint!" said Matthew.
"I will be there tonight." said John. "With no commitment, but an open mind."
"That's great!" said Luc.
"It is just hard to think of these kinds of things being allowed to occur." John said.
His friends just nodded.
Matthew got up and said, " I have to check in with the man." And went to find Mark.
When he walked into Mark's office, Matthew found Mark on the phone scribbling down an address.
"Right, Right, he is here now. Uh Huh. Not the kind that would do that. Got it! He is on his way... I know. Talk to you later." Mark hung up the phone. He handed the paper scrap to Matthew and said, "Off with you."
"What am I delivering?" Asked Matthew "Or is it a pick up?"
"You are delivering the van. To the motor pool mechanic for the linemen's trucks. He is going to try to find out what Desmond was talking about. Oh and Sarah is worried about you suing us if something hurts you, so drive carefully, and don't push any James Bond buttons." Mark winked. "Call me if it is going to be awhile, and I will come get you."
"Gotcha!" Matthew said, and headed out.
"What did Mark say?" He asked.
"You have been working on him obviously!" Said John in an accusing tone, but there was no anger in his eyes or voice.
"It was kind of a mutual thing." Matthew replied.
"Well, he is looking for you." said John.
"Probably because he is coming tonight." Matthew replied.
"You don't waste any time." John said resignedly.
"We don't have any to waste." Said Luc. "And we want ALL our friends to be okay."
"Hint hint!" said Matthew.
"I will be there tonight." said John. "With no commitment, but an open mind."
"That's great!" said Luc.
"It is just hard to think of these kinds of things being allowed to occur." John said.
His friends just nodded.
Matthew got up and said, " I have to check in with the man." And went to find Mark.
When he walked into Mark's office, Matthew found Mark on the phone scribbling down an address.
"Right, Right, he is here now. Uh Huh. Not the kind that would do that. Got it! He is on his way... I know. Talk to you later." Mark hung up the phone. He handed the paper scrap to Matthew and said, "Off with you."
"What am I delivering?" Asked Matthew "Or is it a pick up?"
"You are delivering the van. To the motor pool mechanic for the linemen's trucks. He is going to try to find out what Desmond was talking about. Oh and Sarah is worried about you suing us if something hurts you, so drive carefully, and don't push any James Bond buttons." Mark winked. "Call me if it is going to be awhile, and I will come get you."
"Gotcha!" Matthew said, and headed out.
When Matthew reached the maintenance garage, the guard was expecting him.
“Hi, I’m Matthew Jones, I’m here to…” Matthew began, but the guard cut him off.
“Your headed around back, to the left. First open bay door.” He handed Matthew a green piece of copy paper with a number on it. “If you are not in a bay, this needs to be on your dash.” He waved Matthew in.
“Thanks. I guess you knew I was ooming.” Matthew said.
“Listen, a V.P.’s office calls, and says to expect an old van that is painted cammo.” The guard said stoically. “You show up twenty minutes later. I don’t need more I.D. than that. Then you say your name. It’s enough for me.” He sat back down in his booth, effectively dismissing Matthew.
“Okaaay” said Matthew to himself, as he drove around the building.
When he reached the open bay door, he pulled up, and was waved inside by a very large, black man, in mechanics overalls. He followed his directions onto a lift, and exited the van.
“Hello, I am Matthew.” He introduced himself, extending his hand.
“Thom.” The man introduced himself with a smile. “This rig of yours has certainly got some corporate panties in a knot. I have been sworn to secrecy.”
“Yup. Me too.” Matthew said.
“Well, let’s see what we have.” Thom said.
“Should I open the hood?” Asked Matthew.
“Let’s start with the glovebox.” Thom said opening the passenger door.
“It has two.” Matthew said.
Thom opened the glovebox and extracted the manual. He thumbed through it and tossed it on the seat. He looked back in the glove box and said “Ahh Ha!”
“Found something already?” Matthew asked.
“Yup. I used to work for a limo companay. Executive, not party. Some companies put a placard, or a name plate, on the inside of the glovebox door when they modify a vehicle. This one has one. But I am not familiar with it. ‘Connecticut Up Armor’ Heard of it?” Thom asked.’
“Uhhh, No.” said Matthew.
“Let’s google!” said Thom, pulling out his blackberry.
The website for the company was very sleek, it showed several limos, sports cars, and high end sedans, that had ostensibly been modified to be bulletproof. Thom typed in the model code on the van's placard into the search box on the site.
Thom gave out a low whistle. “This car is pretty safe my friend.” He said.
“What do you mean?” Matthew asked.
“According to this, it is armored to IAC VI standards *” He chuckled. “It’s not only bullet proof. It will stop a 30.06 armor piercing round.”
“That’s a lot I assume.” Matthew said.
“It’s the highest non military level.” Said Thom “Your driving a tank. Well, almost.”
He got out of the car, looking at his blackberry and reciting. “ Glass armor. Body, Floor, Roof, Battery, ECM…”
“What is that?” Asled Matthew.
“ECM is the Electonic Control Module. The Computer. It is armored against slugs, and EMP probe.” Thom said, obviously impressed.
“I didn’t think this old a car had a computer.” Matthew said.
“Your probably right,” said Thom, “But it does have additional body supports, as well as a ballisitic frag blanket on the fuel tank.”
“A friend told me this had a military tank..” said Matthew.
Thom leanend down and looked under the back. “Hmm, must have had the tank before they had it armored. Or these armorers put it in, cuz it has a frag blanket for sure.” HE paused and said. “As well as run flat tire inserts. They will give you abot 60 miles at 60 MPH. Nice.”
I Guess I don’t need flat tire spray” Matthew said.
“Not unless you want to destroy $1500 dollars worth of tires, or at least a quarter of 'em.” Thom said laughing.
“Gotcha. Spray bad.” Matthew said.
“Very.” Said Thom. “Let’s check out the inside.
“Hi, I’m Matthew Jones, I’m here to…” Matthew began, but the guard cut him off.
“Your headed around back, to the left. First open bay door.” He handed Matthew a green piece of copy paper with a number on it. “If you are not in a bay, this needs to be on your dash.” He waved Matthew in.
“Thanks. I guess you knew I was ooming.” Matthew said.
“Listen, a V.P.’s office calls, and says to expect an old van that is painted cammo.” The guard said stoically. “You show up twenty minutes later. I don’t need more I.D. than that. Then you say your name. It’s enough for me.” He sat back down in his booth, effectively dismissing Matthew.
“Okaaay” said Matthew to himself, as he drove around the building.
When he reached the open bay door, he pulled up, and was waved inside by a very large, black man, in mechanics overalls. He followed his directions onto a lift, and exited the van.
“Hello, I am Matthew.” He introduced himself, extending his hand.
“Thom.” The man introduced himself with a smile. “This rig of yours has certainly got some corporate panties in a knot. I have been sworn to secrecy.”
“Yup. Me too.” Matthew said.
“Well, let’s see what we have.” Thom said.
“Should I open the hood?” Asked Matthew.
“Let’s start with the glovebox.” Thom said opening the passenger door.
“It has two.” Matthew said.
Thom opened the glovebox and extracted the manual. He thumbed through it and tossed it on the seat. He looked back in the glove box and said “Ahh Ha!”
“Found something already?” Matthew asked.
“Yup. I used to work for a limo companay. Executive, not party. Some companies put a placard, or a name plate, on the inside of the glovebox door when they modify a vehicle. This one has one. But I am not familiar with it. ‘Connecticut Up Armor’ Heard of it?” Thom asked.’
“Uhhh, No.” said Matthew.
“Let’s google!” said Thom, pulling out his blackberry.
The website for the company was very sleek, it showed several limos, sports cars, and high end sedans, that had ostensibly been modified to be bulletproof. Thom typed in the model code on the van's placard into the search box on the site.
Thom gave out a low whistle. “This car is pretty safe my friend.” He said.
“What do you mean?” Matthew asked.
“According to this, it is armored to IAC VI standards *” He chuckled. “It’s not only bullet proof. It will stop a 30.06 armor piercing round.”
“That’s a lot I assume.” Matthew said.
“It’s the highest non military level.” Said Thom “Your driving a tank. Well, almost.”
He got out of the car, looking at his blackberry and reciting. “ Glass armor. Body, Floor, Roof, Battery, ECM…”
“What is that?” Asled Matthew.
“ECM is the Electonic Control Module. The Computer. It is armored against slugs, and EMP probe.” Thom said, obviously impressed.
“I didn’t think this old a car had a computer.” Matthew said.
“Your probably right,” said Thom, “But it does have additional body supports, as well as a ballisitic frag blanket on the fuel tank.”
“A friend told me this had a military tank..” said Matthew.
Thom leanend down and looked under the back. “Hmm, must have had the tank before they had it armored. Or these armorers put it in, cuz it has a frag blanket for sure.” HE paused and said. “As well as run flat tire inserts. They will give you abot 60 miles at 60 MPH. Nice.”
I Guess I don’t need flat tire spray” Matthew said.
“Not unless you want to destroy $1500 dollars worth of tires, or at least a quarter of 'em.” Thom said laughing.
“Gotcha. Spray bad.” Matthew said.
“Very.” Said Thom. “Let’s check out the inside.
"Do you think there is an ejector seat?" Matthew joked.
"Probably not, cuz there is no sun roof!" Thom quipped back. "Don't you watch spy movies? Geesh!"
Thom opened the drivers door and started peering around the edges. He inspected the frame first, then he looked at the door itself. While crawling on his hands and knees and peering up at the underside of the door itself, he mumbled, "ah ha."
"Did ya find something?" asked Matthew.
"Dunno, Maybe." Came the reply.
Thom stood up and began looking at the door itself. "There would be a handle if I am right." He fiddled with the door handle itself, and said, "Yep, look." He pointed to the underside of the door.
"What am I looking at?" asked Matthew.
"Look at the bottom of the door itself." Thom instructed.
"Looks fine." Matthew began. Then he added, "Ohhh, wait. A panel just opened. Holy cow, how did you do that?"
"Stand up and look here." Thom instructed. When Matthew stood up, Thom pointed at the door latch handle. "Watch, when I lift up it opens the door, when I lift out it opens the panel. When I lift up and out it does both. Someone used this van for secret things."
"I have a secret compartment, in a bullet-proof van?" asked Matthew.
"It would seem so." said Thom. "This thing looks like it was designed to fling whatever was in it if the door was opened quickly with an up and out motion."
"I thought it had both motions just because it was old."said Matthew. "I must have been opening that door all the time."
"If there wasn't anything in it, it wouldn't have mattered. In fact, it probably keeps the panel from seizing up with road grit. It is pretty smooth though. Last owner must have maintained it. Did you buy this thing from a drug dealer?" Thom asked.
"Nope, the company." Matthew said.
"Oh dear! Now I know why I am looking at your personal vehicle." said Thom.
"Why a drug dealer?" asked Matthew.
"Duh!" joked Thom. "Your bulletproof vehicle has a trap door designed to ditch items without looking like you are. Someone wanted to be able to be pulled over, and disavow knowledge it looks like to me."
"No way!" said Matthew. "Should we call the cops?"
"Hmmm, weren't we sworn to secrecy?" Thom said laughing.
"Guess so." said Matthew. "Ooops!"
"Besides, we don't know that this was used for drugs. It just APPEARS so. We have no proof. Besides, you don't want drug lords mad at you if you can help it." Thom said. "But, you must know one thing. A hidden compartment, even empty, is probable cause."
"Probable cause for what." Matthew asked.
"For search and seizure." Said Thom. "Back in the limo days, we had a limo that had a hidden bar compartment. A drug dealer rented it. When pulled over, they used that as an excuse to search the mans bags, and, well, he was a bad boy."
"How did they know to look for the hidden bar?" Matthew asked.
"The limo company owner was an ex cop. The dealer's phone was tapped. When the reservation was made, the police contacted the company and made sure that limo was used." Thom said. "The cops all rented from there for weddings, kids proms and such, because they knew the owner." Thom said.
"That seems pretty convoluted. I don't think most cops would look." said Matthew. "And since I am pretty clean, I am not worried. As long as it's not illegal."
"I am not sure it's legal or not." said Thom. "But if it were me I would find out. Probably goes by state, like most vehicle things. Let's see if there are any more Easter eggs to find."
"Probably not, cuz there is no sun roof!" Thom quipped back. "Don't you watch spy movies? Geesh!"
Thom opened the drivers door and started peering around the edges. He inspected the frame first, then he looked at the door itself. While crawling on his hands and knees and peering up at the underside of the door itself, he mumbled, "ah ha."
"Did ya find something?" asked Matthew.
"Dunno, Maybe." Came the reply.
Thom stood up and began looking at the door itself. "There would be a handle if I am right." He fiddled with the door handle itself, and said, "Yep, look." He pointed to the underside of the door.
"What am I looking at?" asked Matthew.
"Look at the bottom of the door itself." Thom instructed.
"Looks fine." Matthew began. Then he added, "Ohhh, wait. A panel just opened. Holy cow, how did you do that?"
"Stand up and look here." Thom instructed. When Matthew stood up, Thom pointed at the door latch handle. "Watch, when I lift up it opens the door, when I lift out it opens the panel. When I lift up and out it does both. Someone used this van for secret things."
"I have a secret compartment, in a bullet-proof van?" asked Matthew.
"It would seem so." said Thom. "This thing looks like it was designed to fling whatever was in it if the door was opened quickly with an up and out motion."
"I thought it had both motions just because it was old."said Matthew. "I must have been opening that door all the time."
"If there wasn't anything in it, it wouldn't have mattered. In fact, it probably keeps the panel from seizing up with road grit. It is pretty smooth though. Last owner must have maintained it. Did you buy this thing from a drug dealer?" Thom asked.
"Nope, the company." Matthew said.
"Oh dear! Now I know why I am looking at your personal vehicle." said Thom.
"Why a drug dealer?" asked Matthew.
"Duh!" joked Thom. "Your bulletproof vehicle has a trap door designed to ditch items without looking like you are. Someone wanted to be able to be pulled over, and disavow knowledge it looks like to me."
"No way!" said Matthew. "Should we call the cops?"
"Hmmm, weren't we sworn to secrecy?" Thom said laughing.
"Guess so." said Matthew. "Ooops!"
"Besides, we don't know that this was used for drugs. It just APPEARS so. We have no proof. Besides, you don't want drug lords mad at you if you can help it." Thom said. "But, you must know one thing. A hidden compartment, even empty, is probable cause."
"Probable cause for what." Matthew asked.
"For search and seizure." Said Thom. "Back in the limo days, we had a limo that had a hidden bar compartment. A drug dealer rented it. When pulled over, they used that as an excuse to search the mans bags, and, well, he was a bad boy."
"How did they know to look for the hidden bar?" Matthew asked.
"The limo company owner was an ex cop. The dealer's phone was tapped. When the reservation was made, the police contacted the company and made sure that limo was used." Thom said. "The cops all rented from there for weddings, kids proms and such, because they knew the owner." Thom said.
"That seems pretty convoluted. I don't think most cops would look." said Matthew. "And since I am pretty clean, I am not worried. As long as it's not illegal."
"I am not sure it's legal or not." said Thom. "But if it were me I would find out. Probably goes by state, like most vehicle things. Let's see if there are any more Easter eggs to find."
Thom sat in the drivers seat, and ran his hands along the dashboard.
"What are you looking for?" asked Matthew.
"I have NO idea, this thing has surprised me. I don't see the advantage of putting tens of thousands of dollars into a 30 odd year old van." Thom replied. "But I am gonna find out."
Thom began pushing around every protrusion on the dash, every knob and gauge and vent. He was finally rewarded with a slight click when he pushed the dash above the radio, and the small panel opened up revealing a set of micro switches with red toggle switch covers.
"Now this is REAL spy stuff." said Thom "What the heck, this panel is homemade for sure. The hinge is just piano hinge epoxied onto the panel. And the latch is just a push to open assembly from a stereo case or something. They didn't care what it looked like when open, but they took a lot of time making it look perfect closed."
"But what are the switches for?" Asked Matthew.
"Dude, I am not in a hurry to get blown up by some drug lords booby trap!" said Thom. "Let's see where these things go before we just push em willy nilly."
"Sounds smart." said Mark, walking up behind them. "I guess that is why we were sent specifically to you. I'm Mark, I was on the conference call with Sarah's office and you earlier..?"
"I remember. Good to meet you." Said Thom extending his hand. "Come to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang here?"
"Something like that, actually I just figured it was going to take a while, so I came to give Matthew a lift back to the studio." Mark replied clapping Matthew on the shoulder. "We miss him so!" He added sarcastically."
Matthew snorted.
"Actually, if you two aren't in a desperate hurry, I would prefer some company while doing this." Thom said. " I wasn't joking about your drug dealer's booby traps. And since this is secret squirrel stuff..."
"Great, we can all blow up together." Said Mark. " But I don't blame you. We will hang out. But what do you mean drug dealer?"
Matthew showed him the door compartment. "Ditch Door." He stated plainly.
"Ahh." said Mark.
"Right." Said Thom. "Let's see if we can trace these switches."
"What are you looking for?" asked Matthew.
"I have NO idea, this thing has surprised me. I don't see the advantage of putting tens of thousands of dollars into a 30 odd year old van." Thom replied. "But I am gonna find out."
Thom began pushing around every protrusion on the dash, every knob and gauge and vent. He was finally rewarded with a slight click when he pushed the dash above the radio, and the small panel opened up revealing a set of micro switches with red toggle switch covers.
"Now this is REAL spy stuff." said Thom "What the heck, this panel is homemade for sure. The hinge is just piano hinge epoxied onto the panel. And the latch is just a push to open assembly from a stereo case or something. They didn't care what it looked like when open, but they took a lot of time making it look perfect closed."
"But what are the switches for?" Asked Matthew.
"Dude, I am not in a hurry to get blown up by some drug lords booby trap!" said Thom. "Let's see where these things go before we just push em willy nilly."
"Sounds smart." said Mark, walking up behind them. "I guess that is why we were sent specifically to you. I'm Mark, I was on the conference call with Sarah's office and you earlier..?"
"I remember. Good to meet you." Said Thom extending his hand. "Come to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang here?"
"Something like that, actually I just figured it was going to take a while, so I came to give Matthew a lift back to the studio." Mark replied clapping Matthew on the shoulder. "We miss him so!" He added sarcastically."
Matthew snorted.
"Actually, if you two aren't in a desperate hurry, I would prefer some company while doing this." Thom said. " I wasn't joking about your drug dealer's booby traps. And since this is secret squirrel stuff..."
"Great, we can all blow up together." Said Mark. " But I don't blame you. We will hang out. But what do you mean drug dealer?"
Matthew showed him the door compartment. "Ditch Door." He stated plainly.
"Ahh." said Mark.
"Right." Said Thom. "Let's see if we can trace these switches."
Thom pulled the main panel cover off the dashboard so he could easily see behind it.
"Well, the first one is simple. It goes right to that can with the hoses sticking out of it installed over the passenger wheel well. 'American Safe Rooms- Automotive vent kit' Let's google it." Thom whipped out his blackberry. "Well I will be dipped. This is a closed environment system for a car. This thing is supposed to let you drive through radiation or chemicals or biological threats without getting sick. The can is compressed air to breath if the system is closed up." Thom scratched his head. "Our dealer must have either been paranoid, or had some sick enemies."
"WHAT!" said Matthew.
"That's nuts!" said Mark, "That must have cost thousands. Why would you want it?"
"Actually..... The vent kit only cost $500 bucks. Few bucks for shipping and switches. Plus the scuba tank thing... Matthew, look under the front passenger side.... How many tanks are there?"
Matthew scrambled over and looked. "6!" He said. "How long do you think that would last."
"2 Hours per tank if it is the same as regular scuba tanks. A scuba tank averages 2 hours per diver at skin diving levels. Depends on the person, and the depth. " Said Mark. "Used to teach SCUBA certification on summer vacation in college. But this big space may or may not change it. Also more people could be breathing.... Got no clue. 10 to 12 hours for 1 person."
"No Waaaay!" said Thom. "This ride is SERIOUSLY pimped. At least it is not a bomb. Lets trace switch two.
"Well, the first one is simple. It goes right to that can with the hoses sticking out of it installed over the passenger wheel well. 'American Safe Rooms- Automotive vent kit' Let's google it." Thom whipped out his blackberry. "Well I will be dipped. This is a closed environment system for a car. This thing is supposed to let you drive through radiation or chemicals or biological threats without getting sick. The can is compressed air to breath if the system is closed up." Thom scratched his head. "Our dealer must have either been paranoid, or had some sick enemies."
"WHAT!" said Matthew.
"That's nuts!" said Mark, "That must have cost thousands. Why would you want it?"
"Actually..... The vent kit only cost $500 bucks. Few bucks for shipping and switches. Plus the scuba tank thing... Matthew, look under the front passenger side.... How many tanks are there?"
Matthew scrambled over and looked. "6!" He said. "How long do you think that would last."
"2 Hours per tank if it is the same as regular scuba tanks. A scuba tank averages 2 hours per diver at skin diving levels. Depends on the person, and the depth. " Said Mark. "Used to teach SCUBA certification on summer vacation in college. But this big space may or may not change it. Also more people could be breathing.... Got no clue. 10 to 12 hours for 1 person."
"No Waaaay!" said Thom. "This ride is SERIOUSLY pimped. At least it is not a bomb. Lets trace switch two.
"Pop the hood Matthew, Mark, Do you see a dark blue wire coming through a bright blue silicone goop?" Thom asked.
"Close to the passenger side wheel well?" asked Mark.
"That's our lady... Keep your eye on it, I will be right there." was Thom's reply.
"It split's into two." Mark said. One goes to the front bumper, one too the rear."
"Let's check the front one. It should be easier." Thom said. "You got to love the space under these old trucks hoods. In a new car, we might not have been able to trace it through the firewall. It goes into the front bumper. HOLY COW!"
"Where does it go?" Asked Matthew.
"Haven't found it yet . But look at this steel. You have a half a scrapyard welded in up here. Looks like this thing is made to punch through roadblocks. This is pro work, and the pieces are well designed. It almost looks like a kit... Or No! I bet the company that armored this beast put it in." He chuckled. "There are extra struts and shocks to deal with the weight. I bet it is an engineering nightmare."
"You are having too much fun!" Said Matthew.
"You won't be if you rear end someone in this monster!" Thom said seriously.
"He will kill them huh?" Mark said cheerfully.
"Probably, and himself too. This thing had no crumple zones to begin with. This extra rigidity means flying through the windshield a much more likely scenario. Never drive this thing without a seat belt. And you should think about a five point harness rather than just a lap belt." Thom was no longer smiling.
"Sounds reasonable, Thank you Thom." Matthew said.
"Now, let's see where that wire goes." Thom said. "Got it. It goes out to the front license plate."
The men inspected, and found that the wire led to three small lights around the License plate.
"These lights look familiar. But, I have no clue what they are here for." Thom said.
"I know why they are familiar." said Matthew pointing to the headband around Thom's neck.
"What the heck?" Said Mark, confusedly. "Why would anyone stick those on the front of their vehicle?"
"I have nooo idea..." Thom began, then smiled excitedly. "Maybe I do. Matthew, hit that switch."
"It's on." Matthew said.
"Nothing happened." Mark said.
"I don't know about that." Said Thom. "Matthew, hang out in the van. Mark walk over to my desk with me."
Thom sat at his computer, and clicked an icon on the desktop.
"this is something I have to do every night. This turns on our infrared camera system. Don't need it during the day, and it creeps me out. There is our van. Can you read the plate?" Thom asked.
"No, There is a horrible reflection off the bumper. No wait... those lights are on. Matthew, did you hit the switch again?" Mark asked.
"Haven't touched a thing." was his reply.
Mark leaned over so he could see the van, and the monitor. The lights appeared to be off. "What's the story?" He asked Thom, who was grinning like the Cheshire cat.
Infrared! Someone replaced the LED's in the light with infra-red LED's. When the camera hits it, it is unreadable. Tricky. Good for red light cams as well I bet.''
They walked to the back of the van. The lights were there as well.
"I guess we found our other wire." said Thom. "The drug lord either didn't want to wait at red lights, or was paranoid the DEA would use ATM machine cameras to track him."
"This is getting weird." Said Matthew.
"Close to the passenger side wheel well?" asked Mark.
"That's our lady... Keep your eye on it, I will be right there." was Thom's reply.
"It split's into two." Mark said. One goes to the front bumper, one too the rear."
"Let's check the front one. It should be easier." Thom said. "You got to love the space under these old trucks hoods. In a new car, we might not have been able to trace it through the firewall. It goes into the front bumper. HOLY COW!"
"Where does it go?" Asked Matthew.
"Haven't found it yet . But look at this steel. You have a half a scrapyard welded in up here. Looks like this thing is made to punch through roadblocks. This is pro work, and the pieces are well designed. It almost looks like a kit... Or No! I bet the company that armored this beast put it in." He chuckled. "There are extra struts and shocks to deal with the weight. I bet it is an engineering nightmare."
"You are having too much fun!" Said Matthew.
"You won't be if you rear end someone in this monster!" Thom said seriously.
"He will kill them huh?" Mark said cheerfully.
"Probably, and himself too. This thing had no crumple zones to begin with. This extra rigidity means flying through the windshield a much more likely scenario. Never drive this thing without a seat belt. And you should think about a five point harness rather than just a lap belt." Thom was no longer smiling.
"Sounds reasonable, Thank you Thom." Matthew said.
"Now, let's see where that wire goes." Thom said. "Got it. It goes out to the front license plate."
The men inspected, and found that the wire led to three small lights around the License plate.
"These lights look familiar. But, I have no clue what they are here for." Thom said.
"I know why they are familiar." said Matthew pointing to the headband around Thom's neck.
"What the heck?" Said Mark, confusedly. "Why would anyone stick those on the front of their vehicle?"
"I have nooo idea..." Thom began, then smiled excitedly. "Maybe I do. Matthew, hit that switch."
"It's on." Matthew said.
"Nothing happened." Mark said.
"I don't know about that." Said Thom. "Matthew, hang out in the van. Mark walk over to my desk with me."
Thom sat at his computer, and clicked an icon on the desktop.
"this is something I have to do every night. This turns on our infrared camera system. Don't need it during the day, and it creeps me out. There is our van. Can you read the plate?" Thom asked.
"No, There is a horrible reflection off the bumper. No wait... those lights are on. Matthew, did you hit the switch again?" Mark asked.
"Haven't touched a thing." was his reply.
Mark leaned over so he could see the van, and the monitor. The lights appeared to be off. "What's the story?" He asked Thom, who was grinning like the Cheshire cat.
Infrared! Someone replaced the LED's in the light with infra-red LED's. When the camera hits it, it is unreadable. Tricky. Good for red light cams as well I bet.''
They walked to the back of the van. The lights were there as well.
"I guess we found our other wire." said Thom. "The drug lord either didn't want to wait at red lights, or was paranoid the DEA would use ATM machine cameras to track him."
"This is getting weird." Said Matthew.
"Let's check the third switch." Said Thom.
Matthew leaned under the dashboard and looked at the back of the switch. "Four red wires go through the firewall at the middle of the dash. In black silicone goop."
"Got it." Said Mark. "They go to where the rear license plate IR lights go back, and are taped to it, along with a brown wire and a green wire that are coming through the firewall. Do you think they go back to the bumper as well?"
"Well." Said Thom. "Let's check there before we go ripping anything apart."
Thom walked to the rear of the van, and looked where the bumper was attached. "Lot's of extra steel here too. Here are those wires. Blue to the plate. Brown to a canister above the exhaust. Green to some kind of can that is next to the gas tank. It looks like a paint sprayer with 4 nozzles."
"Brown and green wires come out of this panel too. Probably the same wires." Matthew yelled from the front.
"Probably..." said Thom quietly. "We will soon find out. And yes, that group of four wires goes into the bumper. Mark, can you hand me that phillips head screw driver on the cart?"
Mark handed him the tool and Thom began handing out screws. When he had removed the panel from the inside of the bumper, Thom laughed.
"I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. There are four trap doors on the bottom of this bumper. Each one is actuated by a small motor. It looks like all the motor does is pull out two pins on a door. Which then lets a stack of these drop out. "
Thom handed out a piece of sheet metal which had been cut and bent so that a point stuck out in every direction.
"Caltrops!" said Mark.
"Stingers is what the cops call them." Said Thom. They throw them in front of cars to make them stop. Quickly!"
"Caltrops, or I guess 'Stingers' are an ancient weapon. Effective against Horse, man, and vehicle. Seriously destroys horses and tires. Destroys a soldiers ability to move. Today's modern boots are actually designed to thwart them." Mark said.
"This your van?" asked Thom. "How do you know so much about them?"
"Medieval history minor." Said Mark. "Did a paper on weapons."
"Oh." Said Thom. "That's a relief. Matthew, I am taking all these out of here. You get busted with these, you will be up dirt water creek. Not the caltrops by themselves, but loaded in the bumper. It would constitute premeditation if you used them here in NYC. I will throw them in a box in the back for you, in case you want to play batman."
"Thanks! " Said Matthew. "Although I can't imagine ever using them."
"Let's see what's in our spray can!" Said Thom. "Mark, can you hand me the big welding gloves, some rubber gloves, and safety glasses from the cart." He paused, and added. "And that respirator. And then you two wait over by the bay door. There could be anything in this can."
Matthew and Mark did as instructed. Thom pulled on the nitrile gloves, put on everything else, putting on the welding gloves last. He crawled under the van and unscrewed the can.
"Come on back guys." He said removing the respirator. "It is just motor oil."
"How do you know?" asked Matthew.
"One, because I am a Mechanic with twenty years experience. Two, because someone wrote with a paint pen ' pump and nozzles set for Mobil One, synthetic, 10W30" Thom winked. "This guy watched too many cartoons. Stingers, oil spray, and I bet I know what is in that last can that feeds into the exhaust."
"What" asked Matthew and Mark, almost in unison.
"I will bet dollars to doughnuts it is a fluid that when sprayed into a hot exhaust will create a lot of smoke. Which the cars exhaust will blow out of the tailpipe."
Mark laughed. "Of course, every comedy from the sixties with a car chase had all three of these, Caltrop, smoke, and oil. The trifecta!"
"Problem is, they all work, and are dangerous- potentially fatal. This guy wasn't fooling around. Are we out of switches Matthew?" Thom asked.
"One More!" He said with a grin. "Never thought I would own a 'Bond Car'!"
Matthew leaned under the dashboard and looked at the back of the switch. "Four red wires go through the firewall at the middle of the dash. In black silicone goop."
"Got it." Said Mark. "They go to where the rear license plate IR lights go back, and are taped to it, along with a brown wire and a green wire that are coming through the firewall. Do you think they go back to the bumper as well?"
"Well." Said Thom. "Let's check there before we go ripping anything apart."
Thom walked to the rear of the van, and looked where the bumper was attached. "Lot's of extra steel here too. Here are those wires. Blue to the plate. Brown to a canister above the exhaust. Green to some kind of can that is next to the gas tank. It looks like a paint sprayer with 4 nozzles."
"Brown and green wires come out of this panel too. Probably the same wires." Matthew yelled from the front.
"Probably..." said Thom quietly. "We will soon find out. And yes, that group of four wires goes into the bumper. Mark, can you hand me that phillips head screw driver on the cart?"
Mark handed him the tool and Thom began handing out screws. When he had removed the panel from the inside of the bumper, Thom laughed.
"I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. There are four trap doors on the bottom of this bumper. Each one is actuated by a small motor. It looks like all the motor does is pull out two pins on a door. Which then lets a stack of these drop out. "
Thom handed out a piece of sheet metal which had been cut and bent so that a point stuck out in every direction.
"Caltrops!" said Mark.
"Stingers is what the cops call them." Said Thom. They throw them in front of cars to make them stop. Quickly!"
"Caltrops, or I guess 'Stingers' are an ancient weapon. Effective against Horse, man, and vehicle. Seriously destroys horses and tires. Destroys a soldiers ability to move. Today's modern boots are actually designed to thwart them." Mark said.
"This your van?" asked Thom. "How do you know so much about them?"
"Medieval history minor." Said Mark. "Did a paper on weapons."
"Oh." Said Thom. "That's a relief. Matthew, I am taking all these out of here. You get busted with these, you will be up dirt water creek. Not the caltrops by themselves, but loaded in the bumper. It would constitute premeditation if you used them here in NYC. I will throw them in a box in the back for you, in case you want to play batman."
"Thanks! " Said Matthew. "Although I can't imagine ever using them."
"Let's see what's in our spray can!" Said Thom. "Mark, can you hand me the big welding gloves, some rubber gloves, and safety glasses from the cart." He paused, and added. "And that respirator. And then you two wait over by the bay door. There could be anything in this can."
Matthew and Mark did as instructed. Thom pulled on the nitrile gloves, put on everything else, putting on the welding gloves last. He crawled under the van and unscrewed the can.
"Come on back guys." He said removing the respirator. "It is just motor oil."
"How do you know?" asked Matthew.
"One, because I am a Mechanic with twenty years experience. Two, because someone wrote with a paint pen ' pump and nozzles set for Mobil One, synthetic, 10W30" Thom winked. "This guy watched too many cartoons. Stingers, oil spray, and I bet I know what is in that last can that feeds into the exhaust."
"What" asked Matthew and Mark, almost in unison.
"I will bet dollars to doughnuts it is a fluid that when sprayed into a hot exhaust will create a lot of smoke. Which the cars exhaust will blow out of the tailpipe."
Mark laughed. "Of course, every comedy from the sixties with a car chase had all three of these, Caltrop, smoke, and oil. The trifecta!"
"Problem is, they all work, and are dangerous- potentially fatal. This guy wasn't fooling around. Are we out of switches Matthew?" Thom asked.
"One More!" He said with a grin. "Never thought I would own a 'Bond Car'!"
Matthew hopped back into the van to trace the last wires. "Two way
thick red wires that go down through the floorboards on the drivers
side!" He called out.
Thom ran the creeper under the van and grunted.
"It's a honking steel box with a key hole!" He called out. "Is there another key on that ring?"
"Just gas cap key." said Matthew.
"Well, let's try it." Thom replied. "Toss those keys in here."
Matthew handed the key's out to Mark, who passed them under the van to Thom.
"It's NOT just a gas cap key." Thom replied. Then he gave a low whistle. "You have NOS my boy." He stated.
"What's Noss?" Matthew asked.
"N. O. S. Nitrous Oxide. It makes you go reallll fast. It is also explosive. And it's illegal to use on the road anywhere in America. Some states it can be on board if the valve is off. So you can use it off road. Nod, Nod, Wink, Wink. Your tanks are charged and your valves are on. If you hit that button when the engine is running, you better hold on." Thom slid out from under the van and looked seriously into Matthew's eyes. "Understand, if you hit that button, this thing is going to cross into the mid hundred mile an hour speed zone in a heart beat. If you hit while cornering, this box will roll down the road, end over end and kill you pretty quick. Make sure you are on a straight away. Also, your breaks are going to be doing serious work to stop this thing. Especially if your loaded. " He dropped the key's into Matthew's hand. "Think twice before using it. Then don't!"
"Gotcha!" Said Matthew. "And thank you for your concern. I don't think I would ever use it anyway."
"It's probably not legal to have it on board anyway in NYC. NOS is a hazardous material. Every city and state is different, I would look into it before I got pulled over." Thom said. "Now hop out, let's see what else this thing is hiding."
"Do you think there is more?" Asked Mark.
"Well we have looked in three places and found a lot, and we have a lot of space left to look. Sooo, chances are we are going to find more." Thom laughed. "I feel like I am on candid camera."
Thom ran the creeper under the van and grunted.
"It's a honking steel box with a key hole!" He called out. "Is there another key on that ring?"
"Just gas cap key." said Matthew.
"Well, let's try it." Thom replied. "Toss those keys in here."
Matthew handed the key's out to Mark, who passed them under the van to Thom.
"It's NOT just a gas cap key." Thom replied. Then he gave a low whistle. "You have NOS my boy." He stated.
"What's Noss?" Matthew asked.
"N. O. S. Nitrous Oxide. It makes you go reallll fast. It is also explosive. And it's illegal to use on the road anywhere in America. Some states it can be on board if the valve is off. So you can use it off road. Nod, Nod, Wink, Wink. Your tanks are charged and your valves are on. If you hit that button when the engine is running, you better hold on." Thom slid out from under the van and looked seriously into Matthew's eyes. "Understand, if you hit that button, this thing is going to cross into the mid hundred mile an hour speed zone in a heart beat. If you hit while cornering, this box will roll down the road, end over end and kill you pretty quick. Make sure you are on a straight away. Also, your breaks are going to be doing serious work to stop this thing. Especially if your loaded. " He dropped the key's into Matthew's hand. "Think twice before using it. Then don't!"
"Gotcha!" Said Matthew. "And thank you for your concern. I don't think I would ever use it anyway."
"It's probably not legal to have it on board anyway in NYC. NOS is a hazardous material. Every city and state is different, I would look into it before I got pulled over." Thom said. "Now hop out, let's see what else this thing is hiding."
"Do you think there is more?" Asked Mark.
"Well we have looked in three places and found a lot, and we have a lot of space left to look. Sooo, chances are we are going to find more." Thom laughed. "I feel like I am on candid camera."
"While you two continue your search, I have to make a phone call." Said Mark. "Thom, can I borrow your desk?"
"Be my guest." Said Thom.
"Thank You!" Was Mark's reply.
Thom continued looking and found a spring loaded delivery system, which they assumed was for a pistol, under the front seat. And a very complete tool box hidden in the back wall of the van, under the wall panel. The other side had the same hidden box, but it was empty, except for pegs, and padded notches.
"I think this is for guns... I don't know what else it would fit." Said Thom perplexed.
Mark walked back up to them. "Matthew, we have to take a ride to Sarah's office. We will leave the van here. Thom, Sarah agrees you shouldn't be working on this alone, so we will put the van out of the way till Matthew and I get back. Cool?"
"Fine by me." Said Thom. "It can stay right here, I have a lot of other things to do that don't need a lift bay. Let me know if you won't be here tonight by 6:00, and I will put it outside with the keys on the floor."
"Thanks!" said Matthew.
Then the two men took the five minute walk to the front of the complex to meet with Sarah, leaving Mark's car as well.
Sarah's assistant knew Mark, and showed them right into Sarah's office.
"Hey Mark, she's waiting on you guys." she said as they approached. She stuck her head into Sarah's office and said. "Mark's here, I will call Nigel now."
"No need, he's on his way down. Hi Mark, Matthew. Quite a turn of events today with the van, huh?" Sarah said, shaking their hands.
"Oh yeah!" Matthew said. "Didn't see it coming."
"Me neither." She said.
They sat down and she added, " I have asked Nigel Walton to join us. He is from corporate legal, and has been following the situation. He should be here momentarily."
"Are you worried about Desmond?" Asked Matthew.
"Well, let's let Nigel get here, and he will help us figure out what we ARE worried about." Sarah said.
They did not have to wait long, in came Nigel with a smile, and introductions were made all around.
"Be my guest." Said Thom.
"Thank You!" Was Mark's reply.
Thom continued looking and found a spring loaded delivery system, which they assumed was for a pistol, under the front seat. And a very complete tool box hidden in the back wall of the van, under the wall panel. The other side had the same hidden box, but it was empty, except for pegs, and padded notches.
"I think this is for guns... I don't know what else it would fit." Said Thom perplexed.
Mark walked back up to them. "Matthew, we have to take a ride to Sarah's office. We will leave the van here. Thom, Sarah agrees you shouldn't be working on this alone, so we will put the van out of the way till Matthew and I get back. Cool?"
"Fine by me." Said Thom. "It can stay right here, I have a lot of other things to do that don't need a lift bay. Let me know if you won't be here tonight by 6:00, and I will put it outside with the keys on the floor."
"Thanks!" said Matthew.
Then the two men took the five minute walk to the front of the complex to meet with Sarah, leaving Mark's car as well.
Sarah's assistant knew Mark, and showed them right into Sarah's office.
"Hey Mark, she's waiting on you guys." she said as they approached. She stuck her head into Sarah's office and said. "Mark's here, I will call Nigel now."
"No need, he's on his way down. Hi Mark, Matthew. Quite a turn of events today with the van, huh?" Sarah said, shaking their hands.
"Oh yeah!" Matthew said. "Didn't see it coming."
"Me neither." She said.
They sat down and she added, " I have asked Nigel Walton to join us. He is from corporate legal, and has been following the situation. He should be here momentarily."
"Are you worried about Desmond?" Asked Matthew.
"Well, let's let Nigel get here, and he will help us figure out what we ARE worried about." Sarah said.
They did not have to wait long, in came Nigel with a smile, and introductions were made all around.
"Nigel has been following this situation from the start." Sarah began.
"Now with what we have found in the vehicle so far, well frankly, he has
some serious concerns."
"If I may Sarah." Nigel interrupted. "My job is to protect the company and it's employees from legal claims which will cost us money. Sort of a preemptive legal cost control. And this van has serious potential to harm. Even if you own it, if we are contracting it's use and an incident occurs... well, it just isn't prudent to contract it. Also, YOU might have a lawsuit against us, by saying we made you take the van in order to retain employment, and making you pay for it. Bad juju legally."
"But since your employment contract is based on that van that we can't let you use, we have a problem." Sarah finished.
"So you have me buy a van I wasn't looking for, to fire me for it days later?" Asked Matthew incredulously.
"Your not fired you twit." said Sarah good naturedly. "But the van is."
"And we actually want it back." Said Nigel. "I don't know what the company is going to do with it, but we certainly don't want the risk associated with your having it. Just that NOS blowing up in a tunnel is enough to give me nightmares. Imagine THAT at rush hour... I would be in court for twenty years."
"And since your employment contract is based on your purchase of a vehicle from us." Said Sarah. "We propose that we switch the vehicle out for a much newer one. We can pull one off the depreciation book that is only two years old. It is a pick up truck with a crew cab. There is a cap with it, so it is almost the same as a van. But it will have more comfortable appointments. What do you think?"
"Do I have a choice?" Asked Matthew.
"Not really if you wish to stay employed." Said Nigel with a sad face.
"Well, I only had it for a couple of days, and I really liked it. But I can't pay for it without a job. So I guess it's a deal." Matthew said. "I just got to grab a couple of things out of it."
"Great! Good choice Matthew. I will have new papers drawn up and sent over for you to sign. Enjoy your new truck. If you folks would excuse me, I have other fish to fry." Nigel shook hands all around and left the room.
"I am sorry all this happened Matthew." Said Sarah, "But your getting a better vehicle now."
"Yeah, but no spy toys!" Said Matthew with a smile. "That's Okay, easy come easy go." But he couldn't help feeling a little disappointed that his ultimate spy van was going away.
"I will have the other vehicle brought over to Thom's, and he can give it the once over while your there. I got to get back to work... so just call me if there are any problems. And Matthew..." Sarah paused. "Thank you."
"No problem." Said Matthew, and he and Mark went back to Thom's in silence.
"If I may Sarah." Nigel interrupted. "My job is to protect the company and it's employees from legal claims which will cost us money. Sort of a preemptive legal cost control. And this van has serious potential to harm. Even if you own it, if we are contracting it's use and an incident occurs... well, it just isn't prudent to contract it. Also, YOU might have a lawsuit against us, by saying we made you take the van in order to retain employment, and making you pay for it. Bad juju legally."
"But since your employment contract is based on that van that we can't let you use, we have a problem." Sarah finished.
"So you have me buy a van I wasn't looking for, to fire me for it days later?" Asked Matthew incredulously.
"Your not fired you twit." said Sarah good naturedly. "But the van is."
"And we actually want it back." Said Nigel. "I don't know what the company is going to do with it, but we certainly don't want the risk associated with your having it. Just that NOS blowing up in a tunnel is enough to give me nightmares. Imagine THAT at rush hour... I would be in court for twenty years."
"And since your employment contract is based on your purchase of a vehicle from us." Said Sarah. "We propose that we switch the vehicle out for a much newer one. We can pull one off the depreciation book that is only two years old. It is a pick up truck with a crew cab. There is a cap with it, so it is almost the same as a van. But it will have more comfortable appointments. What do you think?"
"Do I have a choice?" Asked Matthew.
"Not really if you wish to stay employed." Said Nigel with a sad face.
"Well, I only had it for a couple of days, and I really liked it. But I can't pay for it without a job. So I guess it's a deal." Matthew said. "I just got to grab a couple of things out of it."
"Great! Good choice Matthew. I will have new papers drawn up and sent over for you to sign. Enjoy your new truck. If you folks would excuse me, I have other fish to fry." Nigel shook hands all around and left the room.
"I am sorry all this happened Matthew." Said Sarah, "But your getting a better vehicle now."
"Yeah, but no spy toys!" Said Matthew with a smile. "That's Okay, easy come easy go." But he couldn't help feeling a little disappointed that his ultimate spy van was going away.
"I will have the other vehicle brought over to Thom's, and he can give it the once over while your there. I got to get back to work... so just call me if there are any problems. And Matthew..." Sarah paused. "Thank you."
"No problem." Said Matthew, and he and Mark went back to Thom's in silence.
Mark and Matthew walked into Thom's bay as he was hanging up the phone.
"Just heard Matthew. Are you good with loosing all your toys?" Thom asked.
"Easy come, easy go." Matthew replied. "Would have liked to play with them though."
"Hear ya." Said Thom. "But they are bringing over one of the nicer trucks for you. No one is saying we can't mess with that one a bit." Thom snickered. "I have already started."
"What do you mean?" Matthew asked.
"Remember these?" Thom held up three lights that had been removed from the headband he had been wearing around his neck. "In the hour or so you were gone, I made three of the IR camera defeaters for your new license plate. Hey, It's a start."
Mark and Matthew started laughing, the mood having broken. A honk outside the bay door alerted them to the fact that Matthew's new truck had arrived. Thom opened the door, and a tech threw him the keys.
"Just heard Matthew. Are you good with loosing all your toys?" Thom asked.
"Easy come, easy go." Matthew replied. "Would have liked to play with them though."
"Hear ya." Said Thom. "But they are bringing over one of the nicer trucks for you. No one is saying we can't mess with that one a bit." Thom snickered. "I have already started."
"What do you mean?" Matthew asked.
"Remember these?" Thom held up three lights that had been removed from the headband he had been wearing around his neck. "In the hour or so you were gone, I made three of the IR camera defeaters for your new license plate. Hey, It's a start."
Mark and Matthew started laughing, the mood having broken. A honk outside the bay door alerted them to the fact that Matthew's new truck had arrived. Thom opened the door, and a tech threw him the keys.
"At least they picked one of the white ones!" Thom said. "It's hard to look cool in school bus yellow!"
"Small favors!" Said Matthew. "But this is pretty nice actually."
The truck was a white crew cab with full doors in back. It had a capped six foot bed, so it would fit into parking spots. That is an important thing in New York City. The cap was a heavy duty commercial model with side doors that opened to access the bed without crawling through the back and a common key for side and front doors. All in all Matthew was pleased.
Thom took out a check list and began going over the vehicle.
"How long is this going to take?" Asked Mark.
"Shouldn't be more than an hour or two unless I find something. I am going to check out everything and change fluids. I am also going to install his consolation prize lights. That will take about fifteen minutes. " Thom laughed. "And I ordered a few new headband lights, so I can make some more for his back plate, and my plates. Need some Mark."
"I can't believe I am saying this, but yup. I would love some. How much?" Mark said with glee in his eyes.
"It's on the company. I sorta got a blank PO on this vehicle. They are afraid our boy Matthew could sue them or something. They told me to make sure this vehicle was at least comparable in all non military or bulletproof ways. Means I get to order him a CB, and MAYBE put a ditch door in on the company. No NOS though... at least not on the company dime." Mark laughed. "We could put it in though if you like."
"Let me think about it. It was cool owning a spy van for an hour." Said Matthew. "How much would it cost?"
"Dear God!" Mark said. "You two are going to get us all fired."
"About $300 for a universal kit. Up to $500 for a better kit."
"I would probably never use it. $300 it is. But wait until the end of the month. I have to build it up first.
"I am headed back Matthew, I don't want to hear anymore. I want plausible deniability." Mark said. "But, if you don't make it back today, it's cool. I know it was a messed up day. Thanks Thom, you two stay out of trouble, and I will see you at your place later Matthew."
Mark tooted his horn and was off.
Thom began going over the vehicle, while the two talked about spy truck ideas.
"Small favors!" Said Matthew. "But this is pretty nice actually."
The truck was a white crew cab with full doors in back. It had a capped six foot bed, so it would fit into parking spots. That is an important thing in New York City. The cap was a heavy duty commercial model with side doors that opened to access the bed without crawling through the back and a common key for side and front doors. All in all Matthew was pleased.
Thom took out a check list and began going over the vehicle.
"How long is this going to take?" Asked Mark.
"Shouldn't be more than an hour or two unless I find something. I am going to check out everything and change fluids. I am also going to install his consolation prize lights. That will take about fifteen minutes. " Thom laughed. "And I ordered a few new headband lights, so I can make some more for his back plate, and my plates. Need some Mark."
"I can't believe I am saying this, but yup. I would love some. How much?" Mark said with glee in his eyes.
"It's on the company. I sorta got a blank PO on this vehicle. They are afraid our boy Matthew could sue them or something. They told me to make sure this vehicle was at least comparable in all non military or bulletproof ways. Means I get to order him a CB, and MAYBE put a ditch door in on the company. No NOS though... at least not on the company dime." Mark laughed. "We could put it in though if you like."
"Let me think about it. It was cool owning a spy van for an hour." Said Matthew. "How much would it cost?"
"Dear God!" Mark said. "You two are going to get us all fired."
"About $300 for a universal kit. Up to $500 for a better kit."
"I would probably never use it. $300 it is. But wait until the end of the month. I have to build it up first.
"I am headed back Matthew, I don't want to hear anymore. I want plausible deniability." Mark said. "But, if you don't make it back today, it's cool. I know it was a messed up day. Thanks Thom, you two stay out of trouble, and I will see you at your place later Matthew."
Mark tooted his horn and was off.
Thom began going over the vehicle, while the two talked about spy truck ideas.
By the time Matthew drove his new truck home, plans were in the works to
make the vehicle have everything the old one had, with the exception of
spring loaded gun delivery. Thom said he might have a few other ideas
as well. They weren't sure how to bulletproof, but the two men were
game to try. Matthew made sure they exchanged numbers, and arranged to
return later in the week.
The new truck handled like a dream. It drove much more like a car than a truck, and definitely better than the van had. As he got closer to his block, he happened to see the Colonel walking up to the crosswalk. He pulled up and lowered his window.
"Hey Colonel, wanna lift?" He asked.
"Matthew my boy. I was just on my way to try and locate you. Are you busy?" The Colonel said with a smile.
"I can be not busy, I don't have a set time to be anywhere." He replied. "At least not till we all meet later."
"Then how about going to the VA with me. I need you to fill out a form so that you can rent to me." The Colonel said.
"Sure!" said Matthew. "Hop in."
The Colonel directed them to a small office building. On the third floor was a small rundown office that had a copy paper sign reading "Veterans Administration." Inside, the Colonel signed in and the two sat to wait. Before to long a woman came out to meet them.
"Colonel, how are you sir?" She asked with a smile.
"Never Better, never better!" Said the Colonel. "This is my friend Matthew, he is the gentleman I called you about."
The woman turned and shook Matthew's hand. "Hello Matthew." She said with a smile. "I am Nadine Winetraub. I handle the Colonel's case. Why don't you and I step into the conference room over here for a moment. Colonel, are you OKay here?" She smiled at him.
"Just fine. " The Colonel said, "I am a big boy." He sat gruffly and began reading a magazine.
"Matthew," Nadine said, gesturing to a wooden door in the corner of the room.
Matthew stepped into the room, Nadine sat behind the desk, and closed the door. The room was barely big enough for a desk, two visitor chairs, and an antiquated computer. Nadine began typing and then looked at Matthew.
"What do you know of the Colonel's special needs?" She asked sternly.
"He had some head trauma during the war, he has a loss of time sense. Is there something else I am missing. Oh yeah, some sleep issues." Matthew answered.
"You make it sound much less than it is. He really should be in a managed care facility in my opinion. He could be hurt wandering around. And I worry that he forgets to eat. Why are you looking to rent to him. Are you a medical professional of some sort?" She looked at Matthew expectantly.
"No, just a friend of his with a big place. Is medical training required?" Matthew asked suddenly concerned.
"It's not even though it should be." She sniffed.
"Okay, so the Colonel said there is a form I need to fill..."
"Well, first things first. Is there a window or fan in your bathroom, any peeling paint, and will the Colonel have his own room with locks?"
Matthew began to get irritated at the woman speaking down to him.
"Nadine, I feel you really care about the Colonel, that is refreshing. I do have both a fan and window in my bathroom. So, no, no mold issues. It was freshly painted. And since he is not a child, I don't think we need to worry about him eating paint. And if he wants a lock on his door, he can have one."
"Fine." She intoned coldly, "Since there are no minors, I can't FORCE an inspection. If you let him put a lock on the door, you MUST keep a copy of the key so we can gain access if he hurts himself. You MUST see him eat five meals a week, and know generally where he is at all times. And for this we will pay $300 a month. Okay with you?" She crossed her arms.
"Fine, may I fill out your form now. You can inspect it if you choose." He said tonelessly.
She slid it across. Handed him a pen, and waited.
He filled out the form, collected a packet of information, and went to collect the Colonel.
As they were riding down in the elevator the Colonel asked, "Does she think I am two, or nine years old today?"
"6 months!" Matthew said, clapping his friend on the shoulder.
They both laughed, and Matthew let go of the irritated tension Nadine had inspired in him.
The new truck handled like a dream. It drove much more like a car than a truck, and definitely better than the van had. As he got closer to his block, he happened to see the Colonel walking up to the crosswalk. He pulled up and lowered his window.
"Hey Colonel, wanna lift?" He asked.
"Matthew my boy. I was just on my way to try and locate you. Are you busy?" The Colonel said with a smile.
"I can be not busy, I don't have a set time to be anywhere." He replied. "At least not till we all meet later."
"Then how about going to the VA with me. I need you to fill out a form so that you can rent to me." The Colonel said.
"Sure!" said Matthew. "Hop in."
The Colonel directed them to a small office building. On the third floor was a small rundown office that had a copy paper sign reading "Veterans Administration." Inside, the Colonel signed in and the two sat to wait. Before to long a woman came out to meet them.
"Colonel, how are you sir?" She asked with a smile.
"Never Better, never better!" Said the Colonel. "This is my friend Matthew, he is the gentleman I called you about."
The woman turned and shook Matthew's hand. "Hello Matthew." She said with a smile. "I am Nadine Winetraub. I handle the Colonel's case. Why don't you and I step into the conference room over here for a moment. Colonel, are you OKay here?" She smiled at him.
"Just fine. " The Colonel said, "I am a big boy." He sat gruffly and began reading a magazine.
"Matthew," Nadine said, gesturing to a wooden door in the corner of the room.
Matthew stepped into the room, Nadine sat behind the desk, and closed the door. The room was barely big enough for a desk, two visitor chairs, and an antiquated computer. Nadine began typing and then looked at Matthew.
"What do you know of the Colonel's special needs?" She asked sternly.
"He had some head trauma during the war, he has a loss of time sense. Is there something else I am missing. Oh yeah, some sleep issues." Matthew answered.
"You make it sound much less than it is. He really should be in a managed care facility in my opinion. He could be hurt wandering around. And I worry that he forgets to eat. Why are you looking to rent to him. Are you a medical professional of some sort?" She looked at Matthew expectantly.
"No, just a friend of his with a big place. Is medical training required?" Matthew asked suddenly concerned.
"It's not even though it should be." She sniffed.
"Okay, so the Colonel said there is a form I need to fill..."
"Well, first things first. Is there a window or fan in your bathroom, any peeling paint, and will the Colonel have his own room with locks?"
Matthew began to get irritated at the woman speaking down to him.
"Nadine, I feel you really care about the Colonel, that is refreshing. I do have both a fan and window in my bathroom. So, no, no mold issues. It was freshly painted. And since he is not a child, I don't think we need to worry about him eating paint. And if he wants a lock on his door, he can have one."
"Fine." She intoned coldly, "Since there are no minors, I can't FORCE an inspection. If you let him put a lock on the door, you MUST keep a copy of the key so we can gain access if he hurts himself. You MUST see him eat five meals a week, and know generally where he is at all times. And for this we will pay $300 a month. Okay with you?" She crossed her arms.
"Fine, may I fill out your form now. You can inspect it if you choose." He said tonelessly.
She slid it across. Handed him a pen, and waited.
He filled out the form, collected a packet of information, and went to collect the Colonel.
As they were riding down in the elevator the Colonel asked, "Does she think I am two, or nine years old today?"
"6 months!" Matthew said, clapping his friend on the shoulder.
They both laughed, and Matthew let go of the irritated tension Nadine had inspired in him.
As they were getting into the truck the Colonel paused and looked at Matthew.
"Where is the van?" He asked.
"Traded it in." He said, irritated that the lie of how it was acquired was rearing it's head again.
"To bad, it was in great shape and anyone could have fixed it. This is one of those special tool, computer, and electronic kind of ones." The Colonel said.
What is wrong with computers and electronics?" Asked Matthew.
"Nothing per se, but they are susceptible to everything from magnets, to sun spots, to electromagnetic pulse." The colonel said. "Give me a good, old school vehicle any day."
"What the heck is an electromagnetic pulse?" asked Matthew.
"It is a pulse of energy along the electromagnetic spectrum. They are caused by various things. Natural and unnatural. The one I have most training in is HEMP because of my military background." The Colonel explained.
"Is this some military secret?" Asked Matthew, only half joking.
"No!" The Colonel chuckled. "Because of Enrico Fermi's writings, the first nuclear tests were shielded from EMP way back in 45. Is is common knowledge. During the cold war, most civilian infrastructure had EMP protections in place. However we don't really do it anymore. Which is stupid. We have more electronics and less protection."
"What is HEMP?" asked Matthew. "Do ya smoke it?" He poked the Colonels arm to show he was joking.
"Well, actually, it smokes you!" He returned. "Hemp is a low level nuclear blast at a high altitude. It leaves an area intact physically while taking out all the electronic devices. Everything just stops working."
"That's nuts. But it is only theoretical right? I mean no one knows what would REALLY happen? " Matthew said concernedly.
Well, we theorize on a minor level, but we have factual evidence on the main parts. Back in '62 we did a HEMP test in the mid Pacific to see what would really happen because scientists were split on the issue. It was called Operation Starfish Prime." The colonel looked at Matthew, and quipped, "You sleep through history class boy?"
"Don't remember this part." Said Matthew, "So I guess I must have."
"Well, it worked better than expected, and as far away as Hawaii, there were severe damages to the Electronic infrastructure. Street lights went out, burglar alarms were ruined, and it took out the telephone companies microwave relay, which took down phone calls outside of the state. And the damages, although severe at the time, are NOTHING compared to what would happen today. The electronic infrastructure was much more rugged and easy to repair then, and there was a hell of a lot less of it. There was also another outcome from starfish prime." The colonel paused
"And... What was it?" Asked Matthew.
"It made EMP, and it's damage potential, public knowledge." The Colonel finished. "Which made funding to protect from it easier to acquire. Some say that was on purpose. I doubt it though."
"Wow." Said Matthew. "I had no idea.
"Where is the van?" He asked.
"Traded it in." He said, irritated that the lie of how it was acquired was rearing it's head again.
"To bad, it was in great shape and anyone could have fixed it. This is one of those special tool, computer, and electronic kind of ones." The Colonel said.
What is wrong with computers and electronics?" Asked Matthew.
"Nothing per se, but they are susceptible to everything from magnets, to sun spots, to electromagnetic pulse." The colonel said. "Give me a good, old school vehicle any day."
"What the heck is an electromagnetic pulse?" asked Matthew.
"It is a pulse of energy along the electromagnetic spectrum. They are caused by various things. Natural and unnatural. The one I have most training in is HEMP because of my military background." The Colonel explained.
"Is this some military secret?" Asked Matthew, only half joking.
"No!" The Colonel chuckled. "Because of Enrico Fermi's writings, the first nuclear tests were shielded from EMP way back in 45. Is is common knowledge. During the cold war, most civilian infrastructure had EMP protections in place. However we don't really do it anymore. Which is stupid. We have more electronics and less protection."
"What is HEMP?" asked Matthew. "Do ya smoke it?" He poked the Colonels arm to show he was joking.
"Well, actually, it smokes you!" He returned. "Hemp is a low level nuclear blast at a high altitude. It leaves an area intact physically while taking out all the electronic devices. Everything just stops working."
"That's nuts. But it is only theoretical right? I mean no one knows what would REALLY happen? " Matthew said concernedly.
Well, we theorize on a minor level, but we have factual evidence on the main parts. Back in '62 we did a HEMP test in the mid Pacific to see what would really happen because scientists were split on the issue. It was called Operation Starfish Prime." The colonel looked at Matthew, and quipped, "You sleep through history class boy?"
"Don't remember this part." Said Matthew, "So I guess I must have."
"Well, it worked better than expected, and as far away as Hawaii, there were severe damages to the Electronic infrastructure. Street lights went out, burglar alarms were ruined, and it took out the telephone companies microwave relay, which took down phone calls outside of the state. And the damages, although severe at the time, are NOTHING compared to what would happen today. The electronic infrastructure was much more rugged and easy to repair then, and there was a hell of a lot less of it. There was also another outcome from starfish prime." The colonel paused
"And... What was it?" Asked Matthew.
"It made EMP, and it's damage potential, public knowledge." The Colonel finished. "Which made funding to protect from it easier to acquire. Some say that was on purpose. I doubt it though."
"Wow." Said Matthew. "I had no idea.
"But it is pretty far fetched to think that could happen, right?" Matthew asked. "I mean, you would need a LOT of nukes to EMP the USA."
"Well, it would be hard, but one nuke could take out most of the USA. Easier with three though." Said the Colonel in a deadpan.
"But, the air force would take out any missiles coming into the US air space." Matthew said confidently.
The Colonel laughed, "Of course they would!"
"Then no worries!" Said Matthew with relief.
"Well, I didn't say THAT." Said the Colonel. "Any group with the ability to acquire a nuke, might have the ability to get it here. It could already be here. If it was me, I would just send it up from inside the border, on a rocket. Much harder to stop it then."
"WHAT! How could a nuke be here. That's too much!" said Matthew shaking his head.
"Russian back pack nukes went missing during the fall of the USSR. Just as likely here as anywhere else. Those are just an example. They would probably not be powerful enough to take out the US by themselves. But it is a good example of what I said. Chances are, there are hostile nukes within our border." Said the Colonel. "And if there is, and it is powerful enough, or modifiable enough, one could take us out through EMP. Leaving all people and natural resources alone."
"Why would anyone want to do that?" Asked Matthew. "If they were trying to hurt us, wouldn't they want to kill people?"
"Well, some people would. But let's say they were China.... Annnnd, we owed them a LOT of money... Annnnd, our collateral was due because we had defaulted." The Colonel looked at Matthew expectantly. " Do you think they would want to destroy all the property they were planning on seizing?"
"I suppose not... but there are a lot of avenues that seem easier.." said Matthew. "Like the world court or the UN or something."
The Colonel snorted. "Not really, neither of those bodies has the power to award a country to another country regardless of cause. But let's say they did... Do you think Americans are going to sit idly by while the Sino-repo crew comes a calling?"
"I suppose not!" Matthew admitted. "I wouldn't."
"Few would, that's a good reason to take out our command and control capability, wouldn't you say. Not to mention the confusion and lack of information that would come from loss of the grid. Hospitals would begin seeing causalities right away. Trucks would not be able to fuel, stores would be full of spoiled fuel. Much much more." The Colonel shook his head. "In a few days tens of thousands would die."
"Well, some people would. But let's say they were China.... Annnnd, we owed them a LOT of money... Annnnd, our collateral was due because we had defaulted." The Colonel looked at Matthew expectantly. " Do you think they would want to destroy all the property they were planning on seizing?"
"I suppose not... but there are a lot of avenues that seem easier.." said Matthew. "Like the world court or the UN or something."
The Colonel snorted. "Not really, neither of those bodies has the power to award a country to another country regardless of cause. But let's say they did... Do you think Americans are going to sit idly by while the Sino-repo crew comes a calling?"
"I suppose not!" Matthew admitted. "I wouldn't."
"Few would, that's a good reason to take out our command and control capability, wouldn't you say. Not to mention the confusion and lack of information that would come from loss of the grid. Hospitals would begin seeing causalities right away. Trucks would not be able to fuel, stores would be full of spoiled fuel. Much much more." The Colonel shook his head. "In a few days tens of thousands would die."
ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น